PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Purpose

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
ESPN is scrolling that Packer President Mark Murphy has flown to MS to tell Favre not to report to training camp.

How is this common knowledge? The Packers haven't made a statement .

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
It's a guess thrown out by the media that now seems to of evolved into a fact.

Nothing is known about the meeting and its purpose.

ahaha
07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Maybe he's trying to convice Favre to actually talk to one of the teams interested in trading for him.

RashanGary
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
The Press-Gazette is very reliable. They rarely use unnamed sources but if they had to, to protect whoever was leaking this from the Packers then they did but they don't run with things unless they are from trusted sources in my experience.

I believe them.

Plus, it makes sense. The Packers obviously don't want him around. He's a big distraction and they are mvoing forward. It's no benefit to them to have him around if they're convinced they will be rid of him before the start of the season.

Patler
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
ESPN is scrolling that Packer President Mark Murphy has flown to MS to tell Favre not to report to training camp.

How is this common knowledge? The Packers haven't made a statement .

It seems like the obvious purpose, which probably means that it is wrong! :lol:

Really, it could be other reasons; like the Packers have a tentative deal worked out and he wants to convince Favre that it is a good deal for him, too. Or, some teams have asked for salary concessions, and Murphy needs to review the impact with Cook; or......................????

DonHutson
07-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe Brett and his locker just needed a ride to Green Bay.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The Press-Gazette is very reliable. They rarely use unnamed sources but if they had to, to protect whoever was leaking this from the Packers then they did but they don't run with things unless they are from trusted sources in my experience.

I believe them.

Plus, it makes sense. The Packers obviously don't want him around. He's a big distraction and they are mvoing forward. It's no benefit to them to have him around if they're convinced they will be rid of him before the start of the season.I don't believe any of them. The media is rprting it as fact becuase the GBPG claimed it was so through unnamed sources. If that is why he is going down there, why bother to talk with Bus Cook?

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
If that is why he is going down there, why bother to talk with Bus Cook?

To tell him to stop acting like a dumbass?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM

To tell him to stop acting like a dumbass?He could tell him that over the phone.

Patler
07-30-2008, 12:49 PM

To tell him to stop acting like a dumbass?He could tell him that over the phone.

The phone thing hasn't been going so well in this mess.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM

The phone thing hasn't been going so well in this mess.Ture, but Im not sure Murphy is into texting so he may have that going for him.

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 01:01 PM
My point is this............why report something as fact .........when there are none.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
My point is this............why report something as fact .........when there are none.Because that is what sells in the media, whether it's newspapers, website hits, or ratings.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
My point is this............why report something as fact .........when there are none.

It's not like it doesn't happen all of the time nowadays. The definition of valid source seems to have changed dramatically over the years.

LL2
07-30-2008, 01:06 PM

The phone thing hasn't been going so well in this mess.

That's a good one.

ND72
07-30-2008, 01:09 PM

This has been my problem from the start....ESPN just throwing anything out there. They have, and especially Mortensen has, lost A LOT of credibility in my opinion over this entire situation.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I can already see tonight's clip of FAvre on ESPN:

"Murphy told me that if I come to Green Bay, his wife is going to leave him. The guy was shaking like a leaf."

MacCool606
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Does anyone here think Murphy has any real pull in this situation? Every time I see him talk about it, he seems uncomfortable, and states that he trusts TT and MM. I have never heard him state his take, or offer his solution.

I know it's been stated in here that Harlan would have done a better job handling this. If you told me Harlan was going to talk to Brett it would mean something more to me than this. Murphy looks like he's in over his head on this one.

ND72
07-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Does anyone here think Murphy has any real pull in this situation? Every time I see him talk about it, he seems uncomfortable, and states that he trusts TT and MM. I have never heard him state his take, or offer his solution.

I know it's been stated in here that Harlan would have done a better job handling this. If you told me Harlan was going to talk to Brett it would mean something more to me than this. Murphy looks like he's in over his head on this one.

How would you feel if going into your first official season as the President of the Green Bay Packers, you get a PR disaster waiting ot happen when your greatest player ever decides to unretire?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 01:45 PM

This has been my problem from the start....ESPN just throwing anything out there. They have, and especially Mortensen has, lost A LOT of credibility in my opinion over this entire situation.Mortenson lost all credibility when he continued to report the Favre retired becuase of TT not getting Moss even after ESPN aired the voice mail to Mort from Favre stating that wasn't true.

HowardRoark
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM

How would you feel if going into your first official season as the President of the Green Bay Packers, you get a PR disaster waiting ot happen when your greatest player ever decides to unretire?

And your father dies of brain cancer right in the middle of it all. They don't hire chumps to run large organizations like the Packers. I think this/these meetings will be useful.

I think it will be man to man discussions about the reality of the situation. Murphy's tone, whenever he speaks about this issue, is perfect....in my opinion. They both recently buried their fathers, so my guess that will come up too.

Zool
07-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm quite disappointed that no one has made a reference to The Jerk and his "special purpose".

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm quite disappointed that no one has made a reference to The Jerk and his "special purpose".

You look at the movie and think "Shit, Steve Martin's career has really gone down hill."

He's far from the days of the Opti-Grab and Chubby Rain. Now it's all selling himself out to lame family comedies.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM

You look at the movie and think "Shit, Steve Martin's career has really gone down hill."

He's far from the days of the Opti-Grab and Chubby Rain. Now it's all selling himself out to lame family comedies.

yes, except movies are no longer his real career, he just does a movie a year to finance his real interests. He writes novels & plays now, mostly.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:17 PM

yes, except movies are no longer his real career, he just does a movie a year to finance his real interests. He writes novels & plays now, mostly.

I'm aware that he does have other interest. I've read a bit of his memoir "Born Standing Up" and found that to be pretty good.

It's just a trend you find nowadays with funny guys. They make a few generally funny films and then they sell out.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:18 PM

I'm aware that he does have other interest. I've read a bit of his memoir "Born Standing Up" and found that to be pretty good.

It's just a trend you find nowadays with funny guys. They make a few generally funny films and then they sell out.Selling out is your opinion. Others find the movies you call "selling out" to be genuinely funny.

Zool
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM

It's just a trend you find nowadays with funny guys. They make a few generally funny films and then they sell out.Selling out is your opinion. Others find the movies you call "selling out" to be genuinely funny.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought Cheaper by the Dozed 2 genuinely funny.

SkinBasket
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought Cheaper by the Dozed 2 genuinely funny.

Going gay is called "selling out" now?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought Cheaper by the Dozed 2 genuinely funny.Maybe not but I liked Bringing Down the House, Parenthood and others. I ould hardly call making a bomb every once in a while selling out.

Zool
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought Cheaper by the Dozed 2 genuinely funny.Maybe not but I liked Bringing Down the House, Parenthood and others. I ould hardly call making a bomb every once in a while selling out.

Its the idea that he went from comedies that were adult oriented to comedies that were family oriented. The idea of selling out is to go away from what got you your popularity in the first place in order to make more money. I.E. Metallica's black album and anything afterwards.

He jumped the shark at Roxanne.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Its the idea that he went from comedies that were adult oriented to comedies that were family oriented. The idea of selling out is to go away from what got you your popularity in the first place in order to make more money. I.E. Metallica's black album and anything afterwards.

He jumped the shark at Roxanne.I don't call that selling out at all. Selling out would be refusing to do comedies at all, only accepting dramatic roles.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Parenthood was a great movie, but, again, that was back in 1989. He really hasn't made a great film since the late 90s around the time of the Spanish Prisoner and Bowfinger.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:43 PM

I'd disagree with that. After that he still made Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Parenthood, L.A. Story, and as I mentioned, The Spanish Prisoner and Bowfinger.

After the turn of the century is when he started going down hill. Cheaper by the Dozen and the Pink Panther are examples of this.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
bowfinger was friggin hilarious. not sure why it isn't more popular.

Martin has also acted in some indie films recently. what was that one where he played the older man courting the younger woman?

edit: Shopgirl That was from a play he wrote. Good movie.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM

I'd disagree with that. After that he still made Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Parenthood, L.A. Story, and as I mentioned, The Spanish Prisoner and Bowfinger.

After the turn of the century is when he started going down hill. Cheaper by the Dozen and the Pink Panther are examples of this.COnsdiering those are both remakes, I guess you could call that selling out. But I still wouldn't hold those against him.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:53 PM

They show it on TV quite often so it can't be that unpopular. I've always loved the movie.

Come to think of it, Bowfinger was the last decent comedic roll Eddie Murphy was in. Since then it's been Pluto Nash, Daddy Day Care, and Norbit. :shock:

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Consdiering those are both remakes, I guess you could call that selling out. But I still wouldn't hold those against him.

I'm not disowning Steve Martin or calling him crap, I still think he's a funny guy, his books and novellas prove that. But I do consider him guilty of selling out.

cpk1994

They show it on TV quite often so it can't be that unpopular. I've always loved the movie.

Come to think of it, Bowfinger was the last decent comedic roll Eddie Murphy was in. Since then it's been Pluto Nash, Daddy Day Care, and Norbit. :shock:Oh come on, he was great as the vocie of "Donkey' in Shrek. :lol:

Fritz
How about Ol' Mark Murphy, huh? Does he have the chops to handle this situation?

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
How about Ol' Mark Murphy, huh? Does he have the chops to handle this situation?

You're not allowed to re-hijack the thread on course, Fritz. This thread has a mind of its own now. :D

You're free to discuss Eddie Murphy, he's been mentioned in this thread. But not the other Murphy. No.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
How about Ol' Mark Murphy, huh? Does he have the chops to handle this situation?I don't know, but he waws one hell of a safety for the Packers.

Zool
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
How about Ol' Mark Murphy, huh? Does he have the chops to handle this situation?I don't know, but he waws one hell of a safety for the Packers.

Its not easy to find a pic of the bald blur.