PDA

View Full Version : Favre's success in 2007???

AtlPackFan
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't mean to offer an opinion here. I would like to hear from those who have a more intricate knowledge of the game.

How much of Favre's success last year was due to McCarthy. Would he have had as much success with Mooch? Would he have this kind of success under Childress/Bevel?

It appeared to me that McCarthy wasn't afraid to confront Favre when Favre would make bad decisions on the field, i.e. throws in to double/triple coverage. I don't remember Sherman nor Bevel doing that but its possible I simply don't remember. Would Favre's good friend Mooch have called him out after poor decisions?

Just curious what everyone thinks.

ND72
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I have asked that for a couple years now. I'm very happy with McCarthy as the head coach and what he's done with Favre & the offense. I think the big tell-tale sign of Favre's success though, has to do with his GM that didn't trade for Moss. Instead he got him Jennings, Jones, Grant, Jackson, Wynn, Morency, this year Finley & Nelson.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
There is no doubt that M3 was a big reason for Favre's improvement. It also helps that he had some decent talent around him, too.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't mean to offer an opinion here. I would like to hear from those who have a more intricate knowledge of the game.

How much of Favre's success last year was due to McCarthy. Would he have had as much success with Mooch? Would he have this kind of success under Childress/Bevel?

It appeared to me that McCarthy wasn't afraid to confront Favre when Favre would make bad decisions on the field, i.e. throws in to double/triple coverage. I don't remember Sherman nor Bevel doing that but its possible I simply don't remember. Would Favre's good friend Mooch have called him out after poor decisions?

Just curious what everyone thinks.You are absolutely right that McCarthy holding him accountable for every mistake made him better. Sherman never did that and went so far to excuse every mistake Brett made in his pressers with statements like "The ball slipped out of his hand" or "Well he has a broken thumb". He would never succeed with Mooch becuase Mooch would be the same as Sherman in terms of accountablilty, not to mention that Mariucci got fired previusly becuase he couldn't control the players. As for Bevell he was the QB coach. There was nothing Bevell could do.

Partial
07-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Talent around him > Coach

Zool
07-30-2008, 02:35 PM

How dare that fucking snake put talent around him. Fucker.

ND72
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM

:knll:

cheesner
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Just curious what everyone thinks.MM appears to be a well-above-average coach. Mooch had limited success in SF and failure in Detroit (not sure you can hold that entirely against him) but I would still put him below average. MM had a big hand in Favre doing better.

Noodle
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think it's quite right to say that Shermy and company never tried to hold Favre accountable. I remember a story where Rossley wanted Favre to watch a tape that had been compiled of all Favre's INTs so that he could see what the frigg he had done wrong. Favre's response was basically "Why don't you ask me to watch a tape with all my touchdowns."

I think scheme and the players to fit scheme had more to do with it than anything. That, and I think, for whatever reason, Favre prepared more last year than he ever did in the past, actually studying tape and stuff. Maybe that's because M3 gave Favre more latitude to change plays, or maybe he had the latitude in the past but never exercised it.

Who knows, but he was a different player last year, with better decisionmaking and a terrfic ability to change plays at the line to exploit matchups. He hasn't shown a similar desire this year to do the hard work, so I'm thinking a 2007 repeat wasn't going to happen even if he had stayed.

Fritz
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
There was a whole lot of criticism of Rossley when he was here - I was in that chorus. He didn't play to Favre's strengths - threw an awful lot of stuff downfield. It'd be third and two with Green in the backfield and Franks and Driver and Walker out wide, and Rossley would typically call for a bomb. Or so it seemed. I think Rossley and Sherman had a great run game with Green and that line for a couple of years, but I don't think they ever used Favre as well as they might have. I think that Sherman didn't really hold Favre's feet to the fire, and even if he did try, for some reason Favre seemed dismissive of Sherman. I know the 4-12 year was primarily a result of injuries, but even the year before - 10 - 6 - they got in cuz Arizona stunned Minny. 10 - 6 isn't bad, but even then I think people saw that the Packers were slipping. For a winning team there seemed to be a lot of gnashing of teeth over the play calling. Doesn't anybody remember Favre's favorite line? "I just run the play that's called."

I think, therefore, that MM - a rookie head coach - deserves tremendous credit for getting the production from Favre that he did in two years. He made Favre accountable by not backing down from Favre (from what I could tell, anyway) and by giving Favre the freedom to call audibles when he needed to. Then Favre couldn't just shrug and give us the "I just run what they call" line.

My opinion is that if Favre goes to Minny, he won't be nearly as effective. He's had no strong offseason program (which by his own account is important to his success). He doesn't know the receivers (oh - Robert Ferguson!). I don't think Childress has the backbone to keep Favre in line, and Bevell, as a friend, ain't gonna do it either. Same if Mooch had come to Green Bay. Mooch lost control in Detroit, so how's he gonna do what it takes to tap Favre's incredible talent? Favre had his best years under coaches who didn't take any shit - Holmgren and McCarthy.

Partial
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM

And then the sidewinder won't let him play with a talented team. Heck, he won't even let him play at all currently!

sheepshead
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
The things that Brett brings are his knowledge of the game, his arm and the intangibles, heart, desire, leadership. Although, the desire part has come into question during a few conversations I have had as we watched his face during the Bears and Giants games. Would a 27 yo Brett found something inside to NOT let the cold get to him like Manning and Orton did?

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM

And then the sidewinder won't let him play with a talented team. Heck, he won't even let him play at all currently!

What's your point? :roll:

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM

What's your point? :roll:He doesn't have one.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM

The only problem with this is:

1) The Packers would have been happy to take him back at the time he announced his retirement.
2) The Packers were willing to take him back four weeks later when he was contemplating unretiring.

Only after Favre said he was almost 100% committed in late June (after the draft and after the offseason work) did they say they had moved on.