PDA

View Full Version : Poisen Ivy

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I was out 'clearing some property' and am now covered in poisen ivy. Any good home cures..........or if not cures.......anything to relieve this insane itching?
Red wine only numbs so much.......

MJZiggy
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
The itch is caused by histimine. You can relieve any histimine itch temporarily by setting your blow dryer to hot and blowing it on the rash. This causes the body to release the histimine and will itch intensely for a minute but once it stops, you will be itch free for a few hours until your body produces more histimine.

The only other suggestion I have is to switch to bourbon.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 06:09 PM
or benadryl maybe?? I'm blessedly immune to poison ivy, but I was a mean kid who abused the blessing, I'm probably going to hell.

MJZiggy
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Can you come and clear those vines over by the fence?

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I never knew that this cursed stuff was vine-like. I was ripping and pulling like crazy, till a neighbor asked if I was immune to it.............I had no idea.............do now though!

MJZiggy
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
"Leaves of three, let it be."

Actually when we moved up here, my ex-MIL gave me the rundown on it--you battle it on a coolish day after a rain (pulls easier) and you wear long pants, long sleeves, gloves a hat, and glasses (I can't thing getting hit in the eye with a vine is any fun. The other thing is that if you spray to kill it, you still have to pull it because the oils are still on the dead vines and it will come back.

MJZiggy
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Did the blow dryer work?

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I've been in the pool...........I was hoping chlorine would work.........the hair dryer is next.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I've been in the pool...........I was hoping chlorine would work.........the hair dryer is next.

I would advise against using both of those treatment methods simultaneously.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
If you just get in the shower and soap off immediately after contact i've found that i rarely get the rash.

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
If you just get in the shower and soap off immediately after contact i've found that i rarely get the rash.

That's great advise...........but what do I do NOW???

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Remember it for next time. :wink:

HowardRoark
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

What does his showering have to do with you getting a rash?

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks so much Tyrone........knew I could count on you. :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much Tyrone........knew I could count on you. :wink:

Feel free to call on me to soap you up if nobody else is available. :oops:

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 08:44 PM

You're fucked. Go to your physician and get a course of steroids - prednisone is the steroid of choice. Your body is having a hypersensitivity reaction and there's probably nothing you can do. At least the doc will be able to assess severity. It's possible it's not that bad, but it will likely get worse.

oregonpackfan
07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
or benadryl maybe?? I'm blessedly immune to poison ivy, but I was a mean kid who abused the blessing, I'm probably going to hell.

As a kid, I discovered I was also immune to poison ivy. I used to tease my friends by rubbing poison ivy on my arms.

Yeah, I went to Catholic grade school. The nuns assured me I already have a place reserved for me in hell! :lol:

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

As a kid, I discovered I was also immune to poison ivy. I used to tease my friends by rubbing poison ivy on my arms.

Yeah, I went to Catholic grade school. The nuns assured me I already have a place reserved for me in hell! :lol:

12 years of nuns..........you'd think I'd be immune :wink:
Honestly...........this is 'living hell'...

MadtownPacker
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
A couple of lines of some good blow usually take away all pain.

Tarlam!
07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
http://www.ultimatecoupons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/poison-ivy.jpg

I need a cure from Poison Ivy, too! :P

Iron Mike
07-31-2008, 01:25 AM
http://www.jaxmed.com/articles/Diseases/poison_ivy_dermatitis.htm

You need to find an Impatiens capensis plant.

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.jaxmed.com/articles/Diseases/poison_ivy_dermatitis.htm

You need to find an Impatiens capensis plant.

That was interesting..........I've got ^ that all over the place.

MJZiggy
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
But really, did the blowdryer worked because it's worked for me in the past?

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
I did try the hair dryer last night.........but then it seemed to come back with a vengence. I wonder if there's 'window of time' when it works better. I'm like all 'blistery' right now.
Dr. gave me steroids.............

hoosier
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I did try the hair dryer last night.........but then it seemed to come back with a vengence. I wonder if there's 'window of time' when it works better. I'm like all 'blistery' right now.
Dr. gave me steroids.............

If it's prednisone you got, do yourself a big favor and take it early in the day. Unless you want to be cleaning the house all night long.

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
It would take more than that to get me to 'house clean' !

Now, if I could mow the lawns at night...that'd be another thing.
Guess that could be one of the reasons I like Favre.........mutual love of lawn mowing. :wink:

oregonpackfan
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM

Guess that could be one of the reasons I like Favre.........mutual love of lawn mowing. :wink:

Now there's a woman I like--one who will mow the lawn!

In my 27 years of marriage, my wife has mowed the lawn exactly twice. I was laid up with a broken ankle both times.

Her "allergies" allegedly keep her from mowing the lawn. :roll:

hoosier
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

In my 27 years of marriage, my wife has mowed the lawn exactly twice. I was laid up with a broken ankle both times.

Maybe if she mowed the lawn more often you would discover that things were better when she didn't mow at all. :wink:

packinpatland
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Maybe if she mowed the lawn more often you would discover that things were better when she didn't mow at all. :wink:

Can't speak for OPF's wife...........but my 'lines' are perfectly straight. :wink:

Two years ago we bought a new rider.....a John Deere. One week into owning this thing (my husband hadn't even had the joy of riding it yet)....I'm out mowing. Got my big straw hat, music is on....and out of nowhere a bird dive bombs me, hits me in the forhead and knocks my hat off. My first reaction is to grab for the hat........taking my hands off the wheel.....but not off the gas. Smack! Head-on into a maple tree. Now,..... my theory is that mowers don't need headlights anyway.........
It still mows just fine........in fact I'm headed out there this afternoon......

Deputy Nutz
08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Next time you get it, it will be worse, and easier to get. Poison Ivy is horrible stuff. When I was a kid I got it from this big burm of weeds and trees we had separating our yard and the school. Well we played wiffle ball every day, and if you hit it in the burm, you had to go get it. Crawling through all that stuff you get in spots that make you question if there is a god, or if God is actually a man.

I never got it again. In fact I burned that Burm every year in the spring.

packinpatland
08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Must be in the genes........my Dad wouldn't even be able to be around when you are burning.......he's gotten it internally from inhaling the smoke.
What was God thinking when he created poisen ivy and skunks?

hoosier
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Can't speak for OPF's wife...........but my 'lines' are perfectly straight. :wink:

Two years ago we bought a new rider.....a John Deere. One week into owning this thing (my husband hadn't even had the joy of riding it yet)....I'm out mowing. Got my big straw hat, music is on....and out of nowhere a bird dive bombs me, hits me in the forhead and knocks my hat off. My first reaction is to grab for the hat........taking my hands off the wheel.....but not off the gas. Smack! Head-on into a maple tree. Now,..... my theory is that mowers don't need headlights anyway.........
It still mows just fine........in fact I'm headed out there this afternoon......

Ouch, good thing you weren't maimed! Imagine having to explain that one in the ER and knowing that there's no way in hell the nurses and doctors are buying it. I hope you didn't let slip to your husband that it was your feminine instinct (save the hat, damn the lawn mower!) that led you astray. :lol:

packinpatland
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Ouch, good thing you weren't maimed! Imagine having to explain that one in the ER and knowing that there's no way in hell the nurses and doctors are buying it. I hope you didn't let slip to your husband that it was your feminine instinct (save the hat, damn the lawn mower!) that led you astray. :lol:

If you could see me with my 'over twenty yearold straw hat'.........there's not much feminine about it.... :wink:

Honestly, seriously.................why are there headlights on mowers? This is not one of those tractor things you can plow snow with, it's too damp at night to mow, so what's the purpose?

HowardRoark
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Honestly, seriously.................why are there headlights on mowers? This is not one of those tractor things you can plow snow with, it's too damp at night to mow, so what's the purpose?

I see your money on the floor, I felt the pocket change
Though all the feelings that broke through that door
Just didn't seem to be too real
The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes
Somewhere it must be time for penitence. Gardening at night is never where
Gardening at night, gardening at night, gardening at night
The neighbors go to bed at ten
Call the prayer line for a change
The charge is changing every month
They said it couldn't be arranged

We ankled up the garbage sound, but they were busy in the rows
We fell up, not to see the sun, gardening at night just didn't grow

Your sister said that you're too young
They should know they've been there twice
The call was 2 and 51
They said it couldn't be arranged

We ankled up the garbage sound, but they were busy in the rows
We fell up not to see the sun, gardening at night just didn't grow

hoosier
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Two years ago we bought a new rider.....a John Deere.

So your neighbors can call you a Deere in the headlights... :P

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/roguesuicide/DeerInHeadlights.jpg

packinpatland
08-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Two years ago we bought a new rider.....a John Deere.

So your neighbors can call you a Deere in the headlights... :P

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/roguesuicide/DeerInHeadlights.jpg

On one side I've got a neighbor who is a Viking fan......on the other side an AZ Cardinal.....across the street a Pat fan................I'm going to start wearing my cheesehead while I mow......matches the mower :wink: