PDA

View Full Version : Calling Patler

RashanGary
07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Do the Packers have the right to keep FAvre on the roster but tell him to go home? I thought after the McNair incident they stopped allowing that to happen.

? ? ?

RashanGary
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
IF they are allowed to do this or even if it would be a big fine I would think this would be the best way to go.

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Nope, after the Keyshawn in Tampa thing the players union stepped in and it's no longer allowed to bar basically send a player home. Now if Favre did something to be punished (of which he's done nothing wrong so far other than run his mouth a little excessively) then window gets opened.

AV David
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
After the McNair kafuffle, an arbitrator ruled banishment violated the basic agreement.

I think you have to let him show up, maybe even let him practice, but you don't have to give him reps.

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
The Packers are allowed to excuse him from camp so he does not have to go to camp (and the Packers can't fine him for not being there) but they cannot bar him from camp or the facilities.

If the Packers want Favre to stay at home the best thing to do would be to say "Brett, you're excused from camp. We're looking at trading you and interested in your cooperation, and trading you would be easier if you stayed at home. Plus, you never really liked Camp anyway, did you?"

sheepshead
07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
my nerves

RashanGary
07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, it's 5 more weeks till the start of the season. Hopefully they can keep him behind closed doors working with the training staff for most of it and then either trade him or cut him at the last minute. That has to be the plan right now.

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Cutting him at the end of the roster cuts would be bush league and a slap in the face for all he's done. He deserves better.

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Can they suspend him for contract detrimental to the team?

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Cutting him at the end of the roster cuts would be bush league and a slap in the face for all he's done. He deserves better.

Oh Lordy you might get hammered for that one. BTW, I agree. But in the name of the Packers some in here would rather see TT knock Favre down and kick him in the sack while he's on the ground

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Bretsky, out of ignorance on my part of just blind faith I've been on the side of TT/M3 for most of how they've handled things (certain things I disagree with and I still don't see why if the concept is to field the best team that they don't allow open competition at QB) but if they screw Favre's ability to play in 2008 I'd have little remaining respect for them. If he wants to play, let him play - we're not entitled to deny him of the that.

I get the idea of trying to direct where he ends up since it's glaringly obviously they don't want him back in Green and Gold (again right or wrongly I trust the organization to make the right move and if they believe Rodgers fits the system/scheme/etc. better or that he might develop enough during the season to give at least a good a chance as Brett in the playoffs then I'm assuming this is based on watching Rodgers in prior years, this years OTA, etc.). But if ultimately they can't find a taker and they continue to hold this position, it's becoming more and more a possibility he could end up playing in our division which would flat out suck.

Hey, do I get any type of a reward for the above run on sentence of the year? Maybe a good tip like "never piss into a stiff wind?"

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Bretsky, out of ignorance on my part of just blind faith I've been on the side of TT/M3 for most of how they've handled things (certain things I disagree with and I still don't see why if the concept is to field the best team that they don't allow open competition at QB) but if they screw Favre's ability to play in 2008 I'd have little remaining respect for them. If he wants to play, let him play - we're not entitled to deny him of the that.

I get the idea of trying to direct where he ends up since it's glaringly obviously they don't want him back in Green and Gold (again right or wrongly I trust the organization to make the right move and if they believe Rodgers fits the system/scheme/etc. better or that he might develop enough during the season to give at least a good a chance as Brett in the playoffs then I'm assuming this is based on watching Rodgers in prior years, this years OTA, etc.). But if ultimately they can't find a taker and they continue to hold this position, it's becoming more and more a possibility he could end up playing in our division which would flat out suck.

Hey, do I get any type of a reward for the above run on sentence of the year? Maybe a good tip like "never piss into a stiff wind?"

We pretty much agree; TT and MM have handled this situation with far more class than the Favre camp. I understand why some have a bias against Favre coming back based on how he's acted.

But if he wants an opportunity to have a fair shake at starting and that is not offered in Green Bay I have to believe he'll accept another destination if they move him.

If they intentionally damage this option by asking too much, milking this out, or cutting him at the last second after preaching how worried they are about his legacy...well....hypocrisy would be a fair term to use IMO

Packerarcher
07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
IF they are allowed to do this or even if it would be a big fine I would think this would be the best way to go.

There you go thinking again,why start now.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
If he wants to play, let him play - we're not entitled to deny him of the that.

What if he won't accept a trade to anybody but Minnesota?

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Oh Lordy you might get hammered for that one. BTW, I agree. But in the name of the Packers some in here would rather see TT knock Favre down and kick him in the sack while he's on the ground

You guys don't think favre kinda maybe forced us into this situation by not letting us trade him?? By everything that has transpired?? By being pissy towards TT and basically trying to stick it to him now....your right, wouldn't want to be bush league. Do you think that cutting him in the last week of preseason is something TT would enjoy doing?? Think he would really revel in that? Seriously guys, you are way to blinded/loyal to BF on this, he is the one working the system to go play with the vikings by pulling every trick he can think of.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM

You guys don't think favre kinda maybe forced us into this situation by not letting us trade him?? By everything that has transpired?? By being pissy towards TT and basically trying to stick it to him now....your right, wouldn't want to be bush league. Do you think that cutting him in the last week of preseason is something TT would enjoy doing?? Think he would really revel in that? Seriously guys, you are way to blinded/loyal to BF on this, he is the one working the system to go play with the vikings by pulling every trick he can think of.

While I'm that guy who still wants Favre to start, I've said over and over and over that the Favre camp handled this terribly. I don't think we know the whole story and I think the Packers are much much more effective in the media game.......but I admit Favre handled this terribly. Would TT enjoy cutting Favre ? I highly doubt it. But I also doubt the only team Favre is angling to play in is Minnesota. He'll welcome a competition in GB and I'm of the belief he'd accept a trade elsewhere...although evidence in not favorable on this one.

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
If he wants to play, let him play - we're not entitled to deny him of the that.

What if he won't accept a trade to anybody but Minnesota?

Then you play hard ball and allow him to report to camp as the #2 QB (again I think the competition should be open) and try and sell him on the idea that if Rodgers goes down he'll be the hero.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM

again...start now?? I don't get it, is he thinking again or is he just starting, can't have it both ways....unless your tank the TT basher.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:35 PM

again...start now?? I don't get it, is he thinking again or is he just starting, can't have it both ways....unless your tank the TT basher.

Writing style is quite different

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Everything is theory/opinion since we really don't know the truth. Maybe Favre never tried to force a trade or maybe he do so only after being told he should stay retired and/or there would be no open competition for starting QB and thus he would be relegated to the bench - I wouldn't blame him then.

I'm with the organization overall but without official FACTS I'm still of the mind that Brett should be allowed back if he wants to come back but that he has to re-earn his starting job.

falco
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM

bobblehead - if i knew how to make the little clapping hands i would - good post

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Sending the team president down to tell a surefire HOF QB to stay the hell away while squating on his rights? Man, I would never have proposed such a crazy story in a million years.

Bretsky, why do you keep pushing this ridiculous line that the Packers are sitting on Favre, or preventing him from playing. This is a bald-faced lie.

How can you ignore that Favre showed no interest in Tampa & Jets?

How can you ignore that Favre won't produce a list of teams he is willing to play for, twice requested?

I think you are so angry and hurt by the rejection of Favre that your normally fine analytical mind has turned to mush. Just look at the broad outlines, what do each party want:

Packers: For Favre to not go away mad, but just go away. And not to MN or Chicago.
Favre: To get his release or a guaranteed starter job. He has not been shy about these demands.

CLEARLY, a trade works rather well for the Packers, even if a Favre retirement was their dream outcome. For Favre, as long as he keeps his expectations to be starting QB on a SB contender, his whole game can ONLY be to try and force a release.