PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy is a Prima Donna

Anti-Polar Bear
06-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Whether it has anything to do with McCarthy’s late night “affair⠢‚¬Â with his offensive coordinator, or his time spent in Ted Thompson’s “ovalÃ¢à ‚¬Â office, McCarthy has thus far shown that he is “cockyâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ as hell.

Asked why he cut Washington, McCarthy said, “We had the situation there with the first minicamp, but I never gave him an ultimatum”

WTF? So Washington lost weight for nothing and he showed up for the motherfucking OTA for nothing? Why the fuck didn’t McCarthy just cut Washington after the 1st mini-camp? He could at least tell Washington that he’ll eventually be released.

Then there’s the Jason Wilde incident. Here’s a coach with no NFL head coaching experience and a history of losing telling a veteran reporter how to do his job. Hey McCarthy, how about waiting until after you start winning before fucking with reporters? McCarthy is acting as if he has already won as much games as Mike Sherman.

McCarthy is a mistake. Ted Thompson is a mistake. We are pretty much fucked. Best we can hope for is the losing of last year and the losing about to come this year doesn't last pass this year.

For that to happen, McCarthy and Thompson's contracts must be terminated at the end of this year.

motife
06-11-2006, 09:06 AM
McCarthy is acting as if he has already won as much games as Mike Sherman.

I read everything APB writes.

When are we going to get some more poems? They're very good.

MJZiggy
06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Asked why he cut Washington, McCarthy said, “We had the situation there with the first minicamp, but I never gave him an ultimatum”

WTF? So Washington lost weight for nothing and he showed up for the motherfucking OTA for nothing? Why the fuck didn’t McCarthy just cut Washington after the 1st mini-camp? He could at least tell Washington that he’ll eventually be released.

So what you're saying is that a coach needs to give a player an ultimatum and tell him he is seriously underperforming before he's allowed to cut him?

I hate to tell you this, but for whatever reason, Washington showed up at camp physically unable to perform. If he's too stupid to know his job is in jeopardy, whose fault is that? Ooohh he lost 7 lbs. The man weighed 350 lbs. At that weight he could just about drop 7 with his morning dump. At least if you're going to sling crap around, make it worth my time to read it. No one will know if M3 was a mistake until some games are played and with every passing day you convince me even more that hiring TT was the right thing to do.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-11-2006, 09:21 AM

So what you're saying is that a coach needs to give a player an ultimatum and tell him he is seriously underperforming before he's allowed to cut him?

I hate to tell you this, but for whatever reason, Washington showed up at camp physically unable to perform. If he's too stupid to know his job is in jeopardy, whose fault is that? Ooohh he lost 7 lbs. The man weighed 350 lbs. At that weight he could just about drop 7 with his morning dump. At least if you're going to sling crap around, make it worth my time to read it. No one will know if M3 was a mistake until some games are played and with every passing day you convince me even more that hiring TT was the right thing to do.

Gilbert Fucking Brown played at that weight. Grady fucking Jackson played at that weight. If McCarthy doesn't like Washington, shouldve released him with dignity. Tell him beforehand. Don't make him your slave, force him to go through uncertainties, and then use him as an example.

McCarthy is acting as if "his way" have worked in the past before. Well, last time I checked McCarthy left the Saints in ruin and then made the 49ers worste.

MJZiggy
06-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Gilbert Fucking Brown played at that weight. Grady fucking Jackson played at that weight. If McCarthy doesn't like Washington, shouldve released him with dignity. Tell him beforehand. Don't make him your slave, force him to go through uncertainties, and then use him as an example.

Far as I can tell, Gilbert fucking Brown and Grady fucking Jackson played very well at their weights and as far as keeping him around as long as he did, I'd attribut that to giving him every opportunity to improve his situation and perform before enacting a decision.

Did your mom drop you on your head a lot as an infant? It would explain so much.

red
06-11-2006, 09:29 AM

they showed they had talent and were capable of playing at that weight

IMO (i have to add that to all my posts now, so people know my posts are just "My Opinion"

Anti-Polar Bear
06-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Far as I can tell, Gilbert fucking Brown and Grady fucking Jackson played very well at their weights and as far as keeping him around as long as he did, I'd attribut that to giving him every opportunity to improve his situation and perform before enacting a decision.

Did your mom drop you on your head a lot as an infant? It would explain so much.

You fails to grasp the point. My point is, based on McCarthy' qoute, Washington's career in GB was doomed the moment he showed up at the 1st mini camp. McCathy knew that but he neither say or do anything other than held Washington out. If McCarthy knew he was going to cut Washington, might as well tell him then so he can move on faster. Put anyone under the state of constant, but aviodable, apprehension and that person will become depressed. That is no way to treat a man.

SkinBasket
06-11-2006, 10:12 AM

You fails to grasp the point. My point is, based on McCarthy' qoute, Washington's career in GB was doomed the moment he showed up at the 1st mini camp. McCathy knew that but he neither say or do anything other than held Washington out. If McCarthy knew he was going to cut Washington, might as well tell him then so he can move on faster. Put anyone under the state of constant, but aviodable, apprehension and that person will become depressed. That is no way to treat a man.

tank,

A) you're reading more into that quote than is there, and as a result you are, as usual, making an argument based more on your own limited assumptions than on any factual basis.

b) Washington's career in GB was doomed looooooong before this last minicamp and the OTAs. They were doing him a favor by even bringing him in and giving him ANOTHER chance. No need to give him flowers and a blowjob before firing the fat fuck.

KYPack
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
It's called management.

MM made a decision, something your boyfriend Sherman was unable to do.

You, OTOH, are a potty mouthed fool.

Do you have to post "f" bombs all the time?

It shows how immature you are.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, Skinbasket, you are better than everyone. I am wrong and you are right. Ok whatever you say. :)

red
06-11-2006, 10:15 AM

i'd say washington was doomed because he never took one snap in a game in 2 years. and showed little motivation

if a coach says you have to loose 10 pounds in a week or two, you better do it and not half ass it. for a 350 pound guy it doesn't take that much to loose 10 pounds. like MJ said, you should be able to do that by dropping a shit. for a coach to give him a very moddest goal like 10 pounds, and for him to not do it, to me shows, he really doesn't take anything seriously. sure he tried to lose the weight, but only did the half assed job. he needed to get his ass on the scale everyday and make sure he lost the 10, then he should have tried a little harder to loose a few more, to make sure he stayed under .

its a little like office space with the flare, he tried to do the bare minimum amount of flare and still keep his job and money. that didn't cut it with MM and TT

Polaris
06-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I have my concerns about McCarthy. I don't think he handled the Jason Wilde thing very well.

But I'm not going to criticize him for the Donnel Washington deal. This is a guy who never played a snap in two years and showed up for the new coach overweight and out of shape.

He was held out of the first minicamp out of concern that he was so out of shape he might get himself put on the IR and then we'd be liable for his salary all season. He lost a few pounds and participated in the second.

But according to reports, he was kind of exhibiting an attitude of "Well, I'm screwed.....can't do this......I'm going to be cut." I don't blame McCarthy for cutting him when he did if this was true.

Washington had his chances for two years. The new coach gave him a fair chance. But it's time to turn the page on Donnell Washington. One of my criticisms of Mike Sherman is that he was TOO patient with his deadwood/projects. You can maybe have one or two pieces of deadwood on the team that you're trying to develop, but when you start getting 5-6-7 or more guys in that locker room who don't contribute, hang out in the whirlpool, and generally waste oxygen then you're setting up the exact culture that M3 says he's trying to change.

Patler
06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Cutting him in June is a tremendous advantage for the player. He could have strung him along, brought him to camp and waited for the first or second cutdown to let him go.

Washington now has the best possible chance to find somewhere else to go. This is when teams are still looking for "camp bodies". In August his chances, based on his performances to date, would be nill.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I heard a couple qoutes in the locker room that went to the tune of "That was a surprise. It shows you that your career can be over just like that"

I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that showing up to camp out of shape = fat ass with no job and 1.2 million spent with nothing left. Not even the NFL pension that comes after 4 or 5 years in the league. Washingtons dream of having wealth and success is over. Everyone saw how quickly your dreams can end when a coach and GM are willing to move forward without you.

The message is loud and clear. The organization isn't going to force you to do your job. They arn't going to take care of you. If you as a player don't take care of your buisness, you won't have a job. TT has a quick trigger finger and apparently so does McCarthy....I laugh every time I'm at practice because TT conducts himself like a damn nazi SS. He owns 1265 and everyone starting with Sherman, hunt, Washingtion and Jackson just found out what happens when you don't do your job. The quotes above are proof of that. On the flip side, everyone knows what happens when you do your job. Just like with Driver, you get paid.

woodbuck27
06-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Tank I do believe I understand the point that you are trying to make?

You believer the manner and timing of his release was in your opinion wrong. That he came in overweight and out of shape and at least did 'in fact ' shed a few pounds . . . lived up in your mind to his end of the bargain and was betrayed. . . but honestly Tank.

Had he done enough in his time here to warrant the risk of more cost to OUR team with little 'NO - zero' in return, since he was drafted with all those physical gifts and promise?

I believe the honest answer is a well supported - NO !

I can't hold M3 'all responsible' for that decision to release D.Washington. That was a management decision. Those decisions are often tough but certainly not as much in this case.

Tank really? Didn't we see the writing that was clearly on the wall for him? That the decision to release Donnell Washington was necessary ,for all the chances he got with us, with no return, as in a contribution on the field in games. Certainly no fault can be layed on the timing of his release, as he deemed his own destiny as a Packer and that is sad. He had more than enough time to play up to some of his projected potential. Maybe that, was a mere fallacy? Talent is often a waste, without a solid attitude and some common sense.

I certainly had real hopes for him based on all I could gleen from the reports, as I would for any Rookie with so much upside. Maybe he'll get it together, but certainly that had to be with another franchise.

Tank with all respect.

As a Packer IMO,he was long gone and you express the opinion that that release should have come sooner than later, but don't blame M3 - or TT or any member of the Packer Staff - blame Donnell Washington.

Packgator
06-11-2006, 12:30 PM
I think Washington deserved another two or three years to see if he could get on the field for a play or two. But what really makes me mad is the manner in which he was cut. It was just plain mean! To fire a guy who came all the way from his home to Green Bay (can you even imagine the inconvenience) in the middle of his annual six month vacation is cruel and inhumane!

Packer fans around the globe need to unite and fix this injustice. We need to write letters to the players association and league office demanding something be done.........Now! MM needs to be enrolled in a sensitivity class immediately. And not one of those country club four week courses. He needs to be put on an indefinite leave of absence and placed in a six month course at a facility that pipes in Enya music 24 hours a day and provides a never ending supply of herbal tea.

And why stop with MM. Sensitivity is obviously a problem within the entire organization. I say we pull the plug now before it is to late. Cancel the entire upcoming season, forfeit all games, and enroll the entire coaching staff and front office. I think sacrificing one season to ensure a future filled with kind, compassionate, loving, caring, and sensitive football people is a small price to pay.

For those who may disagree I ask this. How would you like it if in the middle of your annual six month vacation you were inconveniently asked to come to work for a couple of weeks and put in a few hours a day working on your job? And then in the middle of those two weeks you were fired because you were no good at your job? I didn't think so.

I'm only grateful Saint Vince isn't here today to see how low this organization has fallen and how it treats its players. I shudder to think what he would be feeling about this terrible and insensitive situation.

We must put an end to this madness once and for all!

BooHoo
06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
At this early stage of his career as the Pack coach I have to give MM the benefit of the doubt. We can begin to get critical on TT on the other hand because he has been around for a year. However, many will argue that it takes several years to determine whether or not a GM is good.

Will TT turn out to be a great GM, will MM turn out to be a great coach? I don't have a clue! :?

oregonpackfan
06-11-2006, 12:41 PM
It is way too early to evaluate McCarthy's effectiveness as a coach.

As far as cutting Washington--I applaud McCarthy's decision. As several posters have stated, Sherman's selection of Washington was a huge mistake.

Perhaps Sherman's biggest flaw was that he could not admit to a mistake nor take action on it. When he made the mistakes of selecting Washington and B.J. Sander, he just kept them on the roster rather than admitting he was in error.

Part of McCarthy's job as a new HC, is to "Clean House" of some of the poor decisions Sherman made. He has done just that with dismissing Washington and I am confident he will continue the action by cutting B.J. Sander.

Oregonpackfan

woodbuck27
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I think Washington deserved another two or three years to see if he could get on the field for a play or two. But what really makes me mad is the manner in which he was cut. It was just plain mean! To fire a guy who came all the way from his home to Green Bay (can you even imagine the inconvenience) in the middle of his annual six month vacation is cruel and inhumane!

Packer fans around the globe need to unite and fix this injustice. We need to write letters to the players association and league office demanding something be done.........Now! MM needs to be enrolled in a sensitivity class immediately. And not one of those country club four week courses. He needs to be put on an indefinite leave of absence and placed in a six month course at a facility that pipes in Enya music 24 hours a day and provides a never ending supply of herbal tea.

And why stop with MM. Sensitivity is obviously a problem within the entire organization. I say we pull the plug now before it is to late. Cancel the entire upcoming season, forfeit all games, and enroll the entire coaching staff and front office. I think sacrificing one season to ensure a future filled with kind, compassionate, loving, caring, and sensitive football people is a small price to pay.

For those who may disagree I ask this. How would you like it if in the middle of your annual six month vacation you were inconveniently asked to come to work for a couple of weeks and put in a few hours a day working on your job? And then in the middle of those two weeks you were fired because you were no good at your job? I didn't think so.

I'm only grateful Saint Vince isn't here today to see how low this organization has fallen and how it treats its players. I shudder to think what he would be feeling about this terrible and insensitive situation.

We must put an end to this madness once and for all!

Hahahahahaha! Awesome post and really. . . . very funny. :lol:

Good job , Packgator !

. . . and now on this day. . . let's all bow OUR heads in solemn prayer for the life and the future of Donnell Washington, as we do wish he could pull his head somewhere into his body. Get his act together.

Murphy37
06-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I can't believe someone is complaining about our coach being a tough guy. I had no problem with MM setting the tone with the local press. Look at the way Parcels handles the media. The big Tuna is in charge wherever he coaches. Personally I like it. The same goes for the D. Washington deal. Washington was given physical gifts to play the game of football, the gifts most of us would do anything for. All that he had to do is use them and not screw it up. Instead he took the NFL life for granted, and got his ass fired. Let's see here. He was going into his third year, and he never played in a game. There's a new coach coming to town. Do you work your ass off and do anything you can to make the team, and continue living the american dream, or do you show up over weight? MM could have kicked Washington in the nuts for all I care. Profootball is not for sensative little pussies. I'm happy to have a coach that shares that belief. This team needs to toughen up.

Scott Campbell
06-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Whether it has anything to do with McCarthy’s late night “affair” with his offensive coordinator, or his time spent in Ted Thompson’s “oval” office, McCarthy has thus far shown that he is “cocky” as hell.

Then there’s the Jason Wilde incident. Here’s a coach with no NFL head coaching experience and a history of losing telling a veteran reporter how to do his job. Hey McCarthy, how about waiting until after you start winning before fucking with reporters? McCarthy is acting as if he has already won as much games as Mike Sherman.

McCarthy is a mistake. Ted Thompson is a mistake. We are pretty much fucked. Best we can hope for is the losing of last year and the losing about to come this year doesn't last pass this year.

For that to happen, McCarthy and Thompson's contracts must be terminated at the end of this year.

When Donnell Washington makes the ProBowl, I'll conced the point Tank. I wouldn't hold my breath.

packerpete
06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
This sad story seems to repeat itself regularly.

see the life story of:

James Lee
Cletidus Hunt
Gabe Wilkins
Darius Holland
Jonathan Brown
Jermaine Smith
Jamal Reynolds
On and on and on and on.....

As far as how Washington was handled, he got a lot more than he deserved, he should have been held up to public ridicule for his lack of motivation. He walks away with a huge bank account, more than most get.

Anyone who thinks he was mislead or used in any way is a complete idiot. The exact opposite is true, who lost and who won in this exchange?

Get real or be quiet.

SkinBasket
06-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, Skinbasket, you are better than everyone. I am wrong and you are right. Ok whatever you say. :)

Glad to see you are able to support your argument in your usual fashion. Such stinging wit. Like a bee. Zing.

At least you jumped ship before you reached the bottom of the ocean this time. We'll consider that progress.

pbmax
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Washington already got a second chance when he participated at the second minicamp. So he had a minicamp and a weeks worth of OTAs to demonstrate his value after he showed up overweight.

This doesn't sound like he was dangled to me. He blew one opportunity and didn't take advantage of two others. And that counts just this season.

Murphy37
06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Mike Sherman was a good coach, a shitty G.M., and a hell of a nice guy. That nice guy attitude made him a winner in life, but it was a weakness as a football coach. It led to giving people 2 many chances to succeed, thus weakening the team. Sometimes to be a successful leader, you have to ruffle a few feathers and piss a few people off to accomplish the main goal of achieving perfection. So be it. In the long run, MM is setting the standard for a tough no nonsense team.

the_idle_threat
06-13-2006, 04:13 AM
http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/mikejudge.jpg

"Now, it’s up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Well, like Cullen Jenkins, for example, has 37 pieces of flair. And a terrific smile."

GBRulz
06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I can't help it, every time i see the words "prima donna" I think of someone on JSO who would always say "pre madonna". Does anyone remember who spelled it that way? TFF !!

Zool
06-13-2006, 10:29 AM
As in Washington was a good defensive lineman pre-madonna? So that would be in 1983? That sounds about right.

I know lets get Washington, Hunt, and Reynolds back for our D line. Now that would be something to see. We could switch to a 3-4 and make Reynolds a rush LB.

The story here is clear. Do your job or get fired. I wish the rest of the world would take this approach.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I can't help it, every time i see the words "prima donna" I think of someone on JSO who would always say "pre madonna". Does anyone remember who spelled it that way? TFF !!

When I read "pre madonna", I think Cyndi Lauper.