PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS OFFER FAVRE $20 MIL TO STAY HOME!!!!

falco
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/30/report-packers-offer-favre-20-million-to-stay-home.aspx

falco
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
wow...i back the organization, but i'm a little sick to my stomach about this

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
:laugh: :bs2: :laugh: :bs2: :laugh: :bs2: :laugh: :bs2:

it could potentially cripple the Packers in court of public opinion as it could be interpreted as they were attempting to bribe Favre, a player that has said he wants to continue his career.

digitaldean
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
IF and only IF this is true, then this is the equivalent of a bribe.

I'll take a wait and see approach on this. Not a good omen, though...

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I say BS. If he decided to retire and forego twenty million, what makes the Packers organization think he'll take twenty million and just shit, err sit home?

It's never been about the money so why should it start now?

dtown
wow...i back the organization, but i'm a little sick to my stomach about this

Agreed. At this point, the season's #####'d anyways, so might as well let BF play and maintain a smidgen of dignity.

falco
what bothers me is that it is such a stupid thing for an organization on the level of the packers to do....

more worrisome than anything is the idea that mark murphy may not be up to his job

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
IF TRUE, and if this was the plan, WOW

The Packer Mgmt has gone off the deep end.

Like that movie where the rich parents offer somebody 500G not to marry their daughter

falco
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
on the other hand, if this is something started by the favre camp to turn public opinion in his favor, i'll be furious

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I find this very hard to believe. I could see no scenario where they would do something like this because:

a) It would crush them in public opinion which is swinging their way atm.
b) There would be absolutely NO reason to think favre would accept such a deal.

That being said, everyone does stupid things once in awhile, so who the hell knows. Not like the media has been right yet though...favre to tampa anyone?

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
on the other hand, if this is something started by the favre camp to turn public opinion in his favor, i'll be furious

I'm not sure they are even smart enough to think of something like this

To be honest every step of their campaign has been idiotic; I doubt the 20MIL is accurate but the bribery would not really surprise me much.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I find this very hard to believe. I could see no scenario where they would do something like this because:

a) It would crush them in public opinion which is swinging their way atm.
b) There would be absolutely NO reason to think favre would accept such a deal.

That being said, everyone does stupid things once in awhile, so who the hell knows. Not like the media has been right yet though...favre to tampa anyone?

If true the offer was a stupid idea. Favre is hick like; he has more money than he probably knows what to do with.

falco

To be honest every step of their campaign has been idiotic; I doubt the 20MIL is accurate but the bribery would not really surprise me much.

the bribery part doesn't make sense

to favre, the money is basically irrelevant, and if he wants to play, and will get paid to play, why take the money

BallHawk
WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy at least floated the idea to Favre of paying him a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

The wording on this makes it seem like JSO is trying to make a simple idea into a cold hard fact.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM

the bribery part doesn't make sense

to favre, the money is basically irrelevant, and if he wants to play, and will get paid to play, why take the money

Well, yesterday we were wondering WHAT Murphy could share in person that TT or MM could just not say over the phone... :lol:

Partial
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Disgusted.

dtown
The $20 million approximates what was raised in the last "stock" offering in 1997-1998 (24 million). I'm sure the 120K fans who forked over $200/share would be happy to know that their $$$ is being spent for Brett not to play.

This can't be true...

Bretsky
WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy at least floated the idea to Favre of paying him a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

The wording on this makes it seem like JSO is trying to make a simple idea into a cold hard fact.

Let's be clear about a few things

1. Murphy would not be stupid enough to make the formal offer; he would just run the idea by them

2. Greg Bedard has to have some dam good sources to be reporting this; he gets inside info being full time in covering the Packers and he'd get pummeled if this had no solid ground

Chevelle2
Would you guys say "disgusting" if Favre accepted it?

Although I do think this is kinda low.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
This would be stupid. I'm hoping there's more to it. I'm guessing the source is somebody in Favre's camp.

falco
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM

i'd be saying "disgusting" if it is true.... but at this point, nobody knows and shouldn't jump to conclusions

digitaldean
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Thought about this a little more... there's no way this would be offered. The NFLPA would be on this in a heartbeat.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 10:24 PM
This would be stupid. I'm hoping there's more to it. I'm guessing the source is somebody in Favre's camp.

It seems like whenever there's a report it's always "from a source close to the Favre camp."

I don't believe a single thing that comes out of the media's mouth now. Not that I had faith in them before....

Partial
07-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Good question. I'm not sure. I'd be pretty upset because then it shows it had something, even a little bit, to do with the money.

On the other hand, it would be tough to turn down 20 mil.

On the right foot, I've never had that much money so I'm not sure I'm the right guy to compare.

On the left foot, that is probably 1/10 of what he has made in his professional career. Say I make 5 mil in my career. I loved working and wanted to. Would I take a 500k payout to stop working, or continue doing what I love for 275k per year?!? Interesting question.

falco
07-30-2008, 10:25 PM
i have no doubt that tim russert is orchestrating this from somewhere beyond the grave :shock:

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 10:37 PM
whats funny about this and I dont care if you believe me or not but, my buddy who has had the inside scoop for me the past month told me that Murphy was going to offer him money to stay retired and I said, thats stupid.. never gonna happen... well I get home from softball and here it is... TT is a weasle.. the end, Favre fucked up but TT is a fuckin weasle

packers11
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Favre camp definitely leaked this out...

TT/MM/Murphy are going to be pissed as hell tomorrow...

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
whats funny about this and I dont care if you believe me or not but, my buddy who has had the inside scoop for me the past month told me that Murphy was going to offer him money to stay retired and I said, thats stupid.. never gonna happen... well I get home from softball and here it is... TT is a weasle.. the end, Favre fucked up but TT is a fuckin weasle

yea, and someone had reliable info that a deal to tampa was a done deal...sorry if I don't believe the sources of posters on a packer/favre fan website.

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM

You post that inside scoop at some point prior to now or is this another "take that to the bank" he's going to Tampa per Suds?

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 10:42 PM

Do you realize you've been spelling the word "weasel" wrong for the last 2 weeks?

Pacopete4

You post that inside scoop at some point prior to now or is this another "take that to the bank" he's going to Tampa per Suds?

Ya know.. I am actually trying to find my post cuz I thought I said it last night... I really hope I did so I can get some cred here.. and thats fine if you dont believe posters, I probably wouldnt believe myself on the other side of it either.. but I know what I know and its the first time I can say I've actually had an inside track on ANYTHING in life haha...

falco

Do you realize you've been spelling the word "weasel" wrong for the last 2 weeks?

i believe he is using the british speling

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM

sorry? :oops:

thanks for pointing it out?.. i'll be sure to point out yours too

3irty1
07-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Wouldn't a hitman be cheaper?

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM

sorry? :oops:

thanks for pointing it out?.. i'll be sure to point out yours too

Haha, man, I got Mozilla Firefox spell check. I'm all cool.

No biggie, man, just pointing it out. :D

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM

I hear Nikko Bellic is available....

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I guess I never posted it.. or if I did, I cant find it... so no cred there but I would take it to my grave that my buddy who has an in to the family told me that last night

falco
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM

I hear Nikko Bellic is available....

in Soviet Russia, QB trades you!

sorry thats not even funny

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Paco, the closest I could find was the following:

It's a They Said/He Said situation. Either side *might* by lying to advance their interests. It's best to not speak as though you *know* that Favre is telling the truth and TT/MM are lying, or vice versa.

I actually do have an inside source on Brett's side that I have been told numerous times they do not want him back and that they are trying everything they can to keep him to stay retired... you don't have to believe me, but its what I know

Along the same lines but doesn't discuss flat out bribery.

Badgerinmaine
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I've got to reserve judgment until I find out whether this is true...but as for now it's just so bizarre I can't wrap my head around it at all. How the hey can they have that kind of dough lying around?

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
it was prolly like this
Murphy: "how about 20 mill to stay home?"
favre: "no thanks"
murphy: "ok"
thats IT

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Again, this is just plain stupid. Sounds like a move by the executive committee. Circa-1970. Wouldn't the Packers organization know by now that anything they say to Brett is going to be released by "a source close to Favre?"

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Ya know.. I am actually trying to find my post cuz I thought I said it last night... I really hope I did so I can get some cred here.. and thats fine if you dont believe posters, I probably wouldnt believe myself on the other side of it either.. but I know what I know and its the first time I can say I've actually had an inside track on ANYTHING in life haha...

I believe ya

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
this rumor is a hoot.

Freak Out
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
WTF? This just gets worse and worse.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:14 AM
ESPN will have a field day with this one.

I initially thought it was a ridiculous notion, especially that the info would leak out. But maybe it isn't so far fetched.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Sheesh! You people are really something else! Why all the long faces?

This latest in the long line of rumors would be an absolutely wonderful solution to the problem. The team wins, as it ends all the controversy and crap. Favre wins because he gets a windfall and a graceful way out. And Packer fans everywhere win because having Rodgers at QB gives the team its best chance for success.

If it really does play out this way--and I'm not holding my breath that it does, they, of course, since they are in effect, keeping him on retainer, need to put in a provision that he would at least give it a try if Rodgers gets hurt.

They also need to figure a way this doesn't count against the cap--make him a scout or a consultant or something.

I'm sure somebody thought of all that, though.

Gee I hope this one is true!

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:32 AM
This latest in the long line of rumors would be an absolutely wonderful solution to the problem.

I agree, it wouldn't be that bad of a resolution. But Favre won't be interested, he's got plenty of money.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 12:37 AM
This latest in the long line of rumors would be an absolutely wonderful solution to the problem.

I agree, it wouldn't be that bad of a resolution. But Favre won't be interested, he's got plenty of money.

I tend to agree, but we keep hearing all this totally out of character stuff about him, so who knows?

CaptainKickass
07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Whatver the reall issue is between The Pack and Brett - if this is true - transends money.

Think about it - financially speaking, wouldn't it have made more $en$e for the Pack to just extend Rogers deal, and throw a few million his way to stay at the #2 spot?

It transends money.

WTF did Brett do - and don't blame it on retire/unretire/retire/unretire - that'sbviously just the reaction. The org has some serious grudge with Brett and this confirms it for me.

What could it be?

?

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 01:58 AM
WTF did Brett do - and don't blame it on retire/unretire/retire/unretire - that'sbviously just the reaction. The org has some serious grudge with Brett and this confirms it for me.

You can't just say don't blame it on retire/unretire--because it could be just that. More like retirement circus for the last 4-5 offseasons, retire, unretire, retire, unretire but not 100% committed, (team moves on with Aaron Rodgers), unretire but 100% committed. I think it's likely just that. What grudge would the organization have with Favre other than this?

Packerarcher
07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Why is it that most of you are treating this as if it's true you are STILL finding things about it to blame on BRETT. HE sure as hell didn't ask the Weasel ted to send someone down to try and bribe him. Why is the great and mighty TT so scared to have a real QB in camp at the same time as his pet. It's gonna be funny as hell to see the look on that worthless fucks TT's face when Rodgers goes out for the season and dumb fuck Ted is screwed without a quality back up. I hope they fire TT that very same week.

boiga
07-31-2008, 02:13 AM
archer, why are you blaming this latest round on Ted? It was his boss who flew down. If anything, this shows that the order to keep Brett out of Green Bay came from above Thompson's head.

Murphy answers to the board of directors, not Ted, so why are you blaming him?

Packerarcher
07-31-2008, 02:20 AM
[quote="boiga"]archer, why are you blaming this latest round on Ted? It was his boss who flew down. If anything, this shows that the order to keep Brett out of Green Bay came from above Thompson's head.

Murphy answers to the board of directors, not Ted, so why are you blaming him?[/quote

Because I HATE TT,have ever since they hired him. So every time something goes bad I blame him. Sometimes it's not even Packer related and I blame TT. :lol:

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Because I HATE TT,have ever since they hired him. So every time something goes bad I blame him. Sometimes it's not even Packer related and I blame TT. :lol:

It's good to know you realize that you're being irrational.

TheCheese
07-31-2008, 03:28 AM
If this is true, which I really hope it is not, this is just a huge slap in the face to every player in the locker room and the halo effect of the negative consequences would be horrible. Offering a player 20 million to stay retired, then at the same time, not paying Ryan Grant near what he wants is just all fucked up. Every player in that locker room will be turned off by management big time. They are going to know that Favre is getting more money to stay retired than they are working their butt off for a roster spot.

This is seriously fucked up and if this is true, which again, I hope is not because of how stupid and absurd the idea even bribing a player like this would be, this will really put a sour taste in my mouth, especially how much I was looking forward to this season before fucking June 20th.

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 04:24 AM
My guess it was less "Here's a bribe to get you to not show up to training camp this year" and more a "Brett, we like you and we think you're an important part of the Green Bay Packers organization, and since it doesn't look like you're going to get the opportunity to play football like you hope, we'd like to offer you a job in the Packers organization on the non-football side of things. That way, just like with Rob Davis, if a key injury occurs we'd be happy to invite you to let you take off the suit and put on the uniform."

Something that can be construed as a bribe, but it definitely less stupid and potentially embarassing than "here's some money, stay the hell away from camp."

th87
07-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Bet Ryan Grant is thrilled.

MadtownPacker
07-31-2008, 05:29 AM
My guess it was less "Here's a bribe to get you to not show up to training camp this year" and more a "Brett, we like you and we think you're an important part of the Green Bay Packers organization, and since it doesn't look like you're going to get the opportunity to play football like you hope, we'd like to offer you a job in the Packers organization on the non-football side of things. That way, just like with Rob Davis, if a key injury occurs we'd be happy to invite you to let you take off the suit and put on the uniform."Uhh, Lurk, that is a bribe either way homeboy.

This shit cant be true. If the bigshots are this stupid we have great reason to be concerned about more than the Favre mess.

mission
07-31-2008, 05:39 AM
Bet Ryan Grant is thrilled.

Haha!

Yeah, we offered like 2 mil in guaranteed paid or somethin to actually PLAY?

20 to not play ....

ewwww...

would be an ok solution, but ridiculous if we were stupid enough to offer it cuz everyone has stated, it would make no difference (id assume?) to brett...

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Uhh, Lurk, that is a bribe either way homeboy.

You can definitely phrase this in such a way that it's clearly "we are offering you a job outside of football" and not a bribe.

Were the Packers bribing Rob Davis when they offered him the job as Director of Player Development contingent upon his retirement?

sepporepi
07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
As far as I understood it is said to be 20M over 10 years.

I bet it makes sense economically. Keep him associated with the packers as a spokesperson or whatever. Avoid his attachment to any other team.
You can sell almost everthing with him on it. And I am sure the packers are even more attractive to new sponsors/psrtnership with Favre part of the deal.

It is totally different than just pay hin 20M now for just not playing. The get something in return.

I still think Grant must be furious and wish they would sign him soon.

falco
07-31-2008, 06:11 AM
it is begin to looking very obvious to me that favre will be a viking one way or another this year...

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 06:27 AM
GOTA luv manny holdn up that sign. classic....

Rastak
07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
it is begin to looking very obvious to me that favre will be a viking one way or another this year...

The current scenario I could see is the Packers keeping him until the end of camp and then cutting him.

I could see the Vikings signing him, going with jackson for 4-6 games and if he does fine, Favre sits, if not, he starts the last 10-12 games. The Vikes would have to jettison Ferotte, I'm sure they want to keep JD Booty.

Next year it's Favre or Booty....most likely Booty cause Favre is getting damn old. This assumes it's clear jackson has hit the ceiling and the ceiling is like a hobbit hole ceiling.

falco
07-31-2008, 06:34 AM

The current scenario I could see is the Packers keeping him until the end of camp and then cutting him.

I could see the Vikings signing him, going with jackson for 4-6 games and if he does fine, Favre sits, if not, he starts the last 10-12 games. The Vikes would have to jettison Ferotte, I'm sure they want to keep JD Booty.

Next year it's Favre or Booty....most likely Booty cause Favre is getting damn old. This assumes it's clear jackson has hit the ceiling and the ceiling is like a hobbit hole ceiling.

i could live with watching favre sit the bench in minny :lol: :lol:

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:45 AM

Let's be clear about a few things

1. Murphy would not be stupid enough to make the formal offer; he would just run the idea by them

2. Greg Bedard has to have some dam good sources to be reporting this; he gets inside info being full time in covering the Packers and he'd get pummeled if this had no solid groundGreg Bedard has no sources, all he is doing is reporting what WTMJ is reporting. WTMJ is the one with sources. Bedard is just the messenger.

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 06:54 AM
even it this isnt true, who could possibly still be behind management at this point? this is the WORSE handln of a marquee player that i can remember. incredible.

no brainer...

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 07:00 AM
even it this isnt true, who could possibly still be behind management at this point? this is the WORSE handln of a marquee player that i can remember. incredible.

no brainer...Very easy. If it is ture how was it floted? If it was floated as a non-playing job(which I think it was if true) thats perfectly acceptable. My guess is thats the way it was presented and Favre got insulted. So he leaks to WTMJ that it was $20 million to stay at home.

FavreChild
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

no brainer...

Sorry, but I have to agree. The Packers are supposed to represent class, loyalty, and the common man's values. Not cold, hard big business.

Some of you say you will never look at Favre the same way again - well, I will never look at the Packers organization the same. This is a disgrace and an embarrassment to what the Packers are supposed to represent.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry, but I have to agree. The Packers are supposed to represent class, loyalty, and the common man's values. Not cold, hard big business.

Some of you say you will never look at Favre the same way again - well, I will never look at the Packers organization the same. This is a disgrace and an embarrassment to what the Packers are supposed to represent.

Jumping to conclusions based upon drummed up media reports? We have no idea what the "offer" really was. Maybe they thought that it wasn't just about football, but partly about retirement and offered him a position with the team. I think we all should know better than to trust media "sources" by now. It is usually one side or the other trying to persuade the masses, let's not be sheep just yet.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Jumping to conclusions based upon drummed up media reports? We have no idea what the "offer" really was. Maybe they thought that it wasn't just about football, but partly about retirement and offered him a position with the team. I think we all should know better than to trust media "sources" by now. It is usually one side or the other trying to persuade the masses, let's not be sheep just yet.

Exactly.....who knows this could have been a joke, and Favre misinterpreted it....again if its true, it was probably like this....im mid convo...

Murphy: "Hey Brett, what about, i dont know...say $15, $20 million for you to stay retired"
Favre: "Meh...no thanks Id rather play"
Murphy: "Ok."

Onto next topic of whatever they were talking about. Thats it.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
This is just another bullshit rumor. There's no way Murphy would have suggested this knowing it's going to get leaked out. This is the media whoring up some more rumors. I wish Brett would come out and crush this one immediately.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
This is just another bullshit rumor. There's no way Murphy would have suggested this knowing it's going to get leaked out. This is the media whoring up some more rumors. I wish Brett would come out and crush this one immediately.

Bretts probably the one who leaked it.

GBRulz
07-31-2008, 09:13 AM
If this is true, the Packers have made a huge mistake. Way more than the situation with Brett, but with the public eye. The next time they want us Brown County taxpayers to foot the bill on something, people are going to shut the door on them so fast. Heck, the stadium referendum barely went through a few years back...52% yes 48% no.

Many people are sick of Brett thinking he's bigger than everyone else, well many of the local GB people feel the same way (and have for a while now) about the Packers. Personally, I don't see how you cannot support them as they bring tons of money to GB, but many people living here don't see it this way. They see it as just another tax burden.

Heck, just look around....where are all the Packer fans from on most websites? Hint, it's not GB.

I will reserve my judgment on this because it sounds like BS to me. At least I hope so because if not.... I just might consider becoming a Bears fan....KIDDING!! :lol:

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Offering a player 20 million to stay retired, then at the same time, not paying Ryan Grant near what he wants is just all fucked up.

Yep.

The Packer management really is looking very stupid right now. They've had a month to figure out what to do. They've had a month to realize that Favre wanted to play and was going to do what was necessary to play in 2008. They've had a month to realize the NFL would do whatever it could to get Favre on the field...he's a moneymaker.

So their plan is to try and buy Favre out with $20M guaranteed, while Ryan Grant was offered $1.75M?

LOL

Nice one, Packer organization. Your heads are up your ass.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Offering a player 20 million to stay retired, then at the same time, not paying Ryan Grant near what he wants is just all fucked up.

Yep.

The Packer management really is looking very stupid right now. They've had a month to figure out what to do. They've had a month to realize that Favre wanted to play and was going to do what was necessary to play in 2008. They've had a month to realize the NFL would do whatever it could to get Favre on the field...he's a moneymaker.

So their plan is to try and buy Favre out with $20M guaranteed, while Ryan Grant was offered $1.75M?

LOL

And you are so quick to believe this, why?

Fritz
07-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Yep.

LOL

Everybody is so quick to assume the Packers would pay Favre to stay home. What if that's not true? Maybe they need Brett to go to grocery stores to partner with Wisconsin cheese companies to promote their products by signing autographs at the local Safeway. Maybe they really really need someone to go on the offseason player caravan to supervise the young guys. Maybe MM needs an assistant to the assistant quality control coach.

They're just offering the guy a job. An important job, no doubt.

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
If this is true, the Packers have made a huge mistake. Way more than the situation with Brett, but with the public eye. The next time they want us Brown County taxpayers to foot the bill on something, people are going to shut the door on them so fast. Heck, the stadium referendum barely went through a few years back...52% yes 48% no.

Many people are sick of Brett thinking he's bigger than everyone else, well many of the local GB people feel the same way (and have for a while now) about the Packers. Personally, I don't see how you cannot support them as they bring tons of money to GB, but many people living here don't see it this way. They see it as just another tax burden.

Heck, just look around....where are all the Packer fans from on most websites? Hint, it's not GB.

I will reserve my judgment on this because it sounds like BS to me. At least I hope so because if not.... I just might consider becoming a Bears fan....KIDDING!! :lol:

ARE U SERIOUS???

there REALLY is some anti-packer sentiment in title town (GB, not valdosta ga. btw)???

b/c of money/taxes??

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
ARE U SERIOUS???

there REALLY is some anti-packer sentiment in title town (GB, not valdosta ga. btw)???

b/c of money/taxes??

Umm...yeah.

The Packers charge a lot of money for their product. If you haven't noticed, the economy sucks right now.

If the Packers charge more for tickets when they are willing to throw $20M away on a guy to NOT PLAY, people who buy the tickets may be a little miffed.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
They're just offering the guy a job. An important job, no doubt.

That's funny Fritz.

Favre wants to play football. Offering him another job is a joke, considering the level of frustration between the two parties at this point.

If the Packers offered Favre money, they did so to bribe him.

Partial
07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
WSSP thinks Murphy acted without the executive committee's blessing on this. If thats the case and this offer was legit, I don't expect him to make it past the season.

What an embarrassment. All favre or against favre feelings aside, this is ridiculous and probably could be considered breaking some rule. Even if its not, it certainly seems unethical.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
WSSP thinks Murphy acted without the executive committee's blessing on this. If thats the case and this offer was legit, I don't expect him to make it past the season.

WOWZERS!

Murphy just heads on down there and starts offering cash without anyone's blessing? Egads.

Honestly...are some of you organizational supporters starting to have any doubts right now? If this is true, then suddenly I think Favre might have a lot more credibility in his arguments against Thompson and the Packer organization.

The Packers would be a fucking laughingstock around the league if this is true...we had to back out on the first guy we considered for president because he was a headcase, and now the second guy who we hired is off selling weapons to the Contras without anyone's knowledge.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Did you read the reports that Goodell pushed Murphy to go down there? Apparently, the offer has been on the table for awhile, so I'm sure the executive committee gave its blessings. Right now, it smells like there are some committee members that are trying to protect their own asses.

The Gunshooter
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
The offer of $20 million over 10 years to work for GB was on the table 2 months ago. What is a $ going to be worth in 5 years? 5 cents?

GBRulz
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
ARE U SERIOUS???

b/c of money/taxes??

Umm...yeah.

The Packers charge a lot of money for their product. If you haven't noticed, the economy sucks right now.

If the Packers charge more for tickets when they are willing to throw $20M away on a guy to NOT PLAY, people who buy the tickets may be a little miffed.

It actually has nothing to do with that, Leaper. The locals attitude about the Packers has felt this way long before the economy tanked.

The Packers are publicly owned, so who do you think they go to when they need money? The taxpayers. As if living in Taxonsin isn't bad enough, people are pissed about another 1/2% sales tax to fund this stadium. By the time it's paid off, they'll need another expansion of some kind.

Another big gripe is that Brown County taxpayers are paying all this money for a product they can't even enjoy. I do agree with this somewhat, although the Packers do have 4,000 tickets set aside for a ticket lottery for each home game. Well, there are what, close to 250k living in Brown County, so 4,000 tickets isn't much, but I like the Packers attempt on that one. BTW, through this years lottery, I got four Bears tickets :lol:

It's hard to believe, I know. and I don't understand the majority thinking, I mean the packers do so much for our community. GB people are very blue collar and conservative, drives me nuts at times.

GBRulz
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM

What an embarrassment. All favre or against favre feelings aside, this is ridiculous and probably could be considered breaking some rule. Even if its not, it certainly seems unethical.

The next website to go up...www.bringbackbobharlan.com

Partial
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Did you read the reports that Goodell pushed Murphy to go down there? Apparently, the offer has been on the table for awhile, so I'm sure the executive committee gave its blessings. Right now, it smells like there are some committee members that are trying to protect their own asses.

I did not know that. I heard the report on WSSP this morning, though, so thats all I've got.

Partial
07-31-2008, 09:51 AM

The next website to go up...www.bringbackbobharlan.com

They should have sent him down there to begin with. I cannot believe another former player agreed to do that. You'd think they would have gone with the gentle grandpa like yet firm, loved and respected Harlan.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Harlan, probably wisely, wants no part of this mess.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
They should have sent him down there to begin with. I cannot believe another former player agreed to do that. You'd think they would have gone with the gentle grandpa like yet firm, loved and respected Harlan.

Are you talking about Bob Harlan or OUR Harlan? :D :D :D

Pugger
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't believe this story for a second! This is probably the same 'source' that leaked to the media the fantasy about Brett's cell phone. :bs2:

GBRulz
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Are you talking about Bob Harlan or OUR Harlan? :D :D :D

the keys words there..."loved and respected Harlan". Hopefully that clears up any confusion :P :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I hope you break your ankle and fall down today, and land right on a giant hill of ants, and they eat all your flesh, and people keep walking by and don't care.

PackerBlues
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

:worship: Exactly!

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Empty speech making. Was it hard and cold when the Packers gave Favre multiple changes to unretire in the off season?

You are blind to Favre's behavior because you love him.

AV David
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I do think the $20 million is kind of a bribe, but it can be defended with precedent.

Willie Mays was paid to be the face of the SF Giants until he got a better glad handing job at a NJ casino.

After he retired, Kirby Puckett was paid $1 million per year on a five year contract to glad hand for the miserly Minnesota Twins. THE MINNESOTA TWINS for crying out loud!

If Kirby Puckett is worth a legitimate million PR dollars per year in 1990s dollars, an argument could be made BF is worth $2 million per year in 21st century dollars.

I think there is a legitimate component in the offer as well as a desperation component. It doesn't seem well thought out though.

PackerBlues
07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I do think the $20 million is kind of a bribe, but it can be defended with precedent.

Willie Mays was paid to be the face of the SF Giants until he got a better glad handing job at a NJ casino.

After he retired, Kirby Puckett was paid $1 million per year on a five year contract to glad hand for the miserly Minnesota Twins. THE MINNESOTA TWINS for crying out loud!

If Kirby Puckett is worth a legitimate million PR dollars per year in 1990s dollars, an argument could be made BF is worth $2 million per year in 21st century dollars.

I think there is a legitimate component in the offer as well as a desperation component. It doesn't seem well thought out though.

Is that why nobody pays attention to baseball? :lol:

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM

Seriously doubt that, because Murphy JUST got the job. Putting myself in his shoes, I wouldn't want to risk my job within the first year by going over my boss' heads trying to spend 20 million dollars of the company's money. However I don't know squat about Murphy or his tendencies, so maybe...