PDA

View Full Version : 20 million dollar question

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I think it would be very likely that murph offered favre a 20 million dollar 10 year deal to "work for the packers in a number of ways" kinda deal. You know, we don't want you to be our QB, but we feel you deserve the payout and would like to keep you with the organization kinda deal.

This would be far different than a bribe to stay home, and seems the only reasonable thing that I can imagine that would have occurred.

falco
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
i stand by my point that the only way this occured is if Murphy is in way over his head.....

you have to imagine that releasing favre or trading him to the vikings would be better for everyone than paying him to sit home when he wants to play

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I think it would be very likely that murph offered favre a 20 million dollar 10 year deal to "work for the packers in a number of ways" kinda deal. You know, we don't want you to be our QB, but we feel you deserve the payout and would like to keep you with the organization kinda deal.

This would be far different than a bribe to stay home, and seems the only reasonable thing that I can imagine that would have occurred.

I was thinking about this and it would be reasonable to think it was presented this way. I could see Murphy trying to befriend Favre and throw this out there.

But I think there is so little mutual trust I could also see Favre thinking this was basically a bribe to keep him away

Regardless, IMO it's very clear if this occurred that they do not understand Brett Favre

sepporepi
07-31-2008, 06:14 AM
Regardless, IMO it's very clear if this occurred that they do not understand Brett Favre

But you do :taunt: :taunt: ?

SEriously now:

Maybe he is just scared what to do with the rest of his life?

Start drinking again?

Play 8h golf each day?

So to present him a package with some meaningful things to in the next 10 years, still being assosiated with the "team" and even earn 2M/year might not be the worst idea. At least to me it is not so bad as most people here present it.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Seriously?

Why the hell would Favre want to work for an organization that is preventing him from playing football?

Why would he want to work with Thompson or McCarthy?

This is getting comical. The $20M offer is nothing but a bribe...even if the offer was posed with some kind of fancy window dressing. The Packers right now are DESPERATE to keep Favre from showing up in Green Bay.

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Seriously?

Why the hell would Favre want to work for an organization that is preventing him from playing football?

This is getting comical. The $20M offer is nothing but a bribe...even if the offer was posed with some kind of fancy window dressing. The Packers right now are DESPERATE to keep Favre from showing up in Green Bay.

is it to save face or to win playoff/big games???

neil38133
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
The Packers are NOT preventing Favre from playing football. They are just not allowing him to play HOW he wants to, for WHO he wants to, WHEN he wants to. Favre is not used to not getting his way. He seems to want to run the team, from telling TT who he should sign, to telling MM who his QB should be. These are NOT player decisions.
Favre and Bus Cook have caused this mess, and I blame them for 80% or so of it.

LL2
07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
$20 Million dollars? Trade him for a 5th round pick and use the money to get Grant into camp and extend some contract for some of the up and coming promising players.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Seriously?

Why the hell would Favre want to work for an organization that is preventing him from a guaranteed starting position?

Fixed.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
The Packers are NOT preventing Favre from playing football.

Really?

What else do you call offering a guy $20M to stay home?

The Packers are trying their best to keep Favre from playing.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Why the hell would Favre want to work for an organization that is preventing him from a guaranteed starting position?

You are incorrect Sharpe.

Favre asked if he coming back to COMPETE was an option. Green Bay said no.

Make no mistake. Green Bay's position right now is to do everything possible to keep Favre from playing football anywhere in 2008, including offering $20M buyouts.

Fritz
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
The Packers are NOT preventing Favre from playing football.

Really?

What else do you call offering a guy $20M to stay home?

The Packers are trying their best to keep Favre from playing.

Umm, Leap, before this happened several sources have confirmed that TT had trade partners in the Jets and Bucs, but Favre refused to speak to officials from either team.

Sounds like, if just playing football is Favre's real desire, he has that oppportunity. He is just choosing to not play for those teams, one of whom was a playoff team last year.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Sounds like, if just playing football is Favre's real desire, he has that oppportunity. He is just choosing to not play for those teams, one of whom was a playoff team last year.

Favre has the right to do what is necessary to get where he wants to be at this point IMO. Both sides are playing hardball...you can't sit here and say that Favre should operate with one hand tied behind his back.

He has the right to refuse to talk to someone...just as Green Bay has the right to trade him wherever they want to right now.

So why isn't Green Bay just trading him to Oakland for a pair of shoes to be done with it?

Fritz
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
No, Favre can exert whatever pressure he feels like he has to to get what he wants, sure.

But what he's done flies in the face of all that he's said - for years and years - about the Packers, the importance of team, and playing until he felt he couldn't or the Pack didn't want him.

So of course he can do what he wants. But he's asking for the kind of special treatment that no other player in the NFL would get. I have no sympathy for the man at this point. Not that he needs mine. But that's how I feel.

The Gunshooter
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Interesting, as much as I can't stand Favre now, he does hold all the cards. I would take him back as Rodgers back up.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
So of course he can do what he wants. But he's asking for the kind of special treatment that no other player in the NFL would get. I have no sympathy for the man at this point. Not that he needs mine. But that's how I feel.

I have no sympathy for Green Bay. They've chosen their plan...and refused to really consider the ramifications of it. Thus, we have $20M buyout plans and the commissioner delaying Favre's activation so Green Bay can scramble for a plan B.

Both sides have fucked this up beyond reason. It is embarrassing.

Pugger
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Let's not jump to conclusions just yet, guys. Remember last week and the cell phone story that turned out to be bunk? God, I can't wait until this issue is resolved.... :crazy:

Dabaddestbear
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
i stand by my point that the only way this occured is if Murphy is in way over his head.....

you have to imagine that releasing favre or trading him to the vikings would be better for everyone than paying him to sit home when he wants to play
Sounds like the GM is willing to pay to save his ego. By the way, how do the shareholders feel that their GM is willing to pay a player to "NOT PLAY" just to save his ego from being bruised?

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM

Make no mistake. Green Bay's position right now is to do everything possible to keep Favre from playing football anywhere in 2008, including offering $20M buyouts.

I think you are overstating their position. I've never seen a quote that explictly said Favre cannot compete. I believe Favre said something to the effect of you know I'll win the job and they replied that Rodgers is their QB. It seems to me that Favre implied that he was guranteed to win any competition and they didn't agree.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
It seems to me that Favre implied that he was guranteed to win any competition and they didn't agree.

I'm guessing Favre is confident in his abilities...and the Packers know there will be no competition.

bobblehead
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM

Favre has the right to do what is necessary to get where he wants to be at this point IMO. Both sides are playing hardball...you can't sit here and say that Favre should operate with one hand tied behind his back.

He has the right to refuse to talk to someone...just as Green Bay has the right to trade him wherever they want to right now.

So why isn't Green Bay just trading him to Oakland for a pair of shoes to be done with it?

and JWalk had every right to do what is necessarty to get where/what he wanted.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Different scenario. Walker was under contract and the Packers WANTED him to participate.

As of yet, Favre isn't an active player...and the Packers DO NOT WANT him to participate.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Different scenario. Walker was under contract and the Packers WANTED him to participate.

As of yet, Favre isn't an active player...and the Packers DO NOT WANT him to participate.

And the player works for the team. Not the other way around.

bobblehead
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
It seems to me that Favre implied that he was guranteed to win any competition and they didn't agree.

I'm guessing Favre is confident in his abilities...and the Packers know there will be no competition.

and again I ask...what if they compete and MM values less turnovers enough that he declares rodgers the winner...would you ever accept that or would you then declare it was a fixed competition from the start?? Offering said "competition" is a no win for MM.

bobblehead
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Not entirely true...we would be glad to have him show up HONOR HIS CONTRACT, and be a solid veteran backup that is thinking of the team first...he wants to show up under his terms...much like JWalk wanted to show up for a bigger contract.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM

I guess. I just know if I were in their position and I felt that Rodgers was the better option, after hearing that from Favre, I would have said something similiar. He needs to know up front that you don't expect him to start or there will be bigger problems down the road, IMO anyway.

We should know more soon enough. Once he reports how they deal with him will say alot.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM

By that logic, there is also nothing wrong with anything the Packers have done up until he becomes an active player. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I agree.

My points were relating to those who were critical of Favre for what he was doing. My contention is that both sides have the right to play hardball.

ND72
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM

I don't know if it was stated yet, but I just saw on NFL Network that this "$20 Million Dollar Deal" was offered to Brett the day he retired. Let me repeat that for all the people who don't catch on, it was offered to him the day he retired. It was an incentives package thanking him for his time, and to pay him for future "works", ie, appearences, he would make for the Green Bay Packers. While down in Mississippi, Mark Murphy simply reminded him of that offer, and that it still stood. Both times, in March, and now, they were refused. In March, as reported, Favre refused it because he told Ted Thompson, "If I leave, I really dont' want to be reminded of what I walked away from."

And there you go...take it as you want it.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM

I don't know if it was stated yet, but I just saw on NFL Network that this "$20 Million Dollar Deal" was offered to Brett the day he retired. Let me repeat that for all the people who don't catch on, it was offered to him the day he retired. It was an incentives package thanking him for his time, and to pay him for future "works", ie, appearences, he would make for the Green Bay Packers. While down in Mississippi, Mark Murphy simply reminded him of that offer, and that it still stood. Both times, in March, and now, they were refused. In March, as reported, Favre refused it because he told Ted Thompson, "If I leave, I really dont' want to be reminded of what I walked away from."

This makes more sense. If it's true, then the Favre camp should once again be embarrassed about leaking information meant to embarrass the orgainzation. If it's not true, it's a stupid idea by the Packers organization (likely, the executive committee).

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:33 PM
This explanation of the $20M offer makes perfect sense. What a rumor mill.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I agree.

My points were relating to those who were critical of Favre for what he was doing. My contention is that both sides have the right to play hardball.

I can agree that they have a right to play hardball, I just think that shouldn't have done so as early as they did, especially Favre who seemed to be throwing punches from the start.

bobblehead
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Shamelessly bumping my own thread....because I think I was right with one addition. The offer was as stated above, but I think in addition, the only reason murphy brought it up now was to point out to brett that they had to delay that offer if he plays this season. If he plays with us its a cap situation, if he plays with someone else it will be a conflict...but he probably assured him it would still be on the table when he finally calls it a career.

The way it was leaked....what a shitty play on the part of favres camp.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Make no mistake. Green Bay's position right now is to do everything possible to keep Favre from playing football anywhere in 2008, including offering $20M buyouts.You are also wrong. Favre claims the Packers said he can't compete. Not one person in the Packers orginzation hsa made that statement. Im not inclined to believe in Favre in anyway, what with him being less than truthful the last few months.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Make no mistake. Green Bay's position right now is to do everything possible to keep Favre from playing football anywhere in 2008, including offering $20M buyouts.You are also wrong. Favre claims the Packers said he can't compete. Not one person in the Packers orginzation hsa made that statement. Im not inclined to believe in Favre in anyway, what with him being less than truthful the last few months.

They kinda did though. When asked if Favre would be able to compete for his job back, Mike McCarthy said that Aaron Rodgers is his quarterback this year. Something about the new direction the team was going. He didn't literally say "No, Brett cannot compete for the starting job this year" but the implications were pretty obvious. I too think that there is no way Favre is allowed to be the starter this year, unless of course something happens to Aaron Rodgers early in the season. But it wouldn't come as a result of a competition.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM

They kinda did though. When asked if Favre would be able to compete for his job back, Mike McCarthy said that Aaron Rodgers is his quarterback this year. Something about the new direction the team was going. He didn't literally say "No, Brett cannot compete for the starting job this year" but the implications were pretty obvious. I too think that there is no way Favre is allowed to be the starter this year, unless of course something happens to Aaron Rodgers early in the season. But it wouldn't come as a result of a competition.ANd thats fine that you THINK that way. But don't do what Leaper is doing and present a Favre claim as fact. FAVRE claims they won't let him compete(Even though he already refused to complete in the first place). MCCARTHY has never said that at all. THOMPSON has never said that.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 02:02 PM

They kinda did though. When asked if Favre would be able to compete for his job back, Mike McCarthy said that Aaron Rodgers is his quarterback this year. Something about the new direction the team was going. He didn't literally say "No, Brett cannot compete for the starting job this year" but the implications were pretty obvious. I too think that there is no way Favre is allowed to be the starter this year, unless of course something happens to Aaron Rodgers early in the season. But it wouldn't come as a result of a competition.ANd thats fine that you THINK that way. But don't do what Leaper is doing and present a Favre claim as fact. FAVRE claims they won't let him compete(Even though he already refused to complete in the first place). MCCARTHY has never said that at all. THOMPSON has never said that.

McCarthy pretty clearly stated Rodgers is the starter. That says no QB competition. In Chicago, they did not name a starter which means the top 2 compete for the starting job. There definately wasn't last year. Favre = starter Rodgers = backup and reps given to reflect that, period. Why would it be any different this year since a starter has already been named?

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm not presenting it as a Favre claim. I'm presenting it as a McCarthy claim. It's obvious that McCarthy won't allow a competition. Rodgers is his guy, MM said Rodgers is his guy, and that's it. No competition. This from the Green Bay Packers' comments, not from Favre's.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
McCarthy has said Aaron is our starter yes. But McCarthy has NOT declared him the starter for Week 1 regular season. Also, McCarthy's claims come with Brett STILL RETIRED! When asked what he will do if Brett returns he said basically 'we'll decide what to do if we get there'. Naming your starter for the preseason does not preclude a competition. Just because Brett does not astart the preseason games doesn't mean he won't be the starter come week 1 regular season. So again, McCarthy has NEVER said there would be no competition. They only thing he has said is Arron Rodgers is the starter for the Preseason.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
ANd thats fine that you THINK that way. But don't do what Leaper is doing and present a Favre claim as fact. FAVRE claims they won't let him compete(Even though he already refused to complete in the first place). MCCARTHY has never said that at all. THOMPSON has never said that.

You are an idiot if you haven't figured out at this point that the Packers have "moved on" and have no plans for incorporating Brett Favre into the QB situation in 2008.

Favre has been told there will be no competition...and there won't be.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm not presenting it as a Favre claim. I'm presenting it as a McCarthy claim. It's obvious that McCarthy won't allow a competition. Rodgers is his guy, MM said Rodgers is his guy, and that's it. No competition. This from the Green Bay Packers' comments, not from Favre's.

I agree 100%.

CPK just can't get off his anti-Favre kick.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
McCarthy has said Aaron is our starter yes. But McCarthy has NOT declared him the starter for Week 1 regular season. Also, McCarthy's claims come with Brett STILL RETIRED! When asked what he will do if Brett returns he said basically 'we'll decide what to do if we get there'. Naming your starter for the preseason does not preclude a competition. Just because Brett does not astart the preseason games doesn't mean he won't be the starter come week 1 regular season. So again, McCarthy has NEVER said there would be no competition. They only thing he has said is Arron Rodgers is the starter for the Preseason.

cpk, I agree with you on alot of things. But this isn't one of them. There is no way, not a snowballs chance in hell, that Favre is named the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers this year. Anyone with half a brain can put 2 and 2 together and figure out where McCarthy stands on this one. He doesn't have to come out and say Favre can't be the starter - worded exactly like that - for us all to get the idea. He won't say it worded like that because it's just not the right thing to say. But it's what he means, and it's plainly obvious to everyone on both sides of this dispute.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
ANd thats fine that you THINK that way. But don't do what Leaper is doing and present a Favre claim as fact. FAVRE claims they won't let him compete(Even though he already refused to complete in the first place). MCCARTHY has never said that at all. THOMPSON has never said that.

You are an idiot if you haven't figured out at this point that the Packers have "moved on" and have no plans for incorporating Brett Favre into the QB situation in 2008.

Favre has been told there will be no competition...and there won't be.Show me McCarthy saying that. Show me the quote. I know you can't becuase it just ain't there. McCarthy has NEVER said that. Favre is the one making that claim. You truely are a Favre ass kisser if you take everything he says as gospel.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM

cpk, I agree with you on alot of things. But this isn't one of them. There is no way, not a snowballs chance in hell, that Favre is named the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers this year. Anyone with half a brain can put 2 and 2 together and figure out where McCarthy stands on this one. He doesn't have to come out and say Favre can't be the starter - worded exactly like that - for us all to get the idea. He won't say it worded like that because it's just not the right thing to say. But it's what he means, and it's plainly obvious to everyone on both sides of this dispute.Of course he wown't say it becuase as of right now Aaron IS the starter becuase Brett is STILL RETIRED. When asked what if Brett comes back, McCarthy said "We'll see when we get there". Doesn't sound like a man who 100% against having a competition.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Favre has been told there will be no competition...and there won't be.Show me McCarthy saying that. Show me the quote. I know you can't becuase it just ain't there. McCarthy has NEVER said that. Favre is the one making that claim. You truely are a Favre ass kisser if you take everything he says as gospel.

For the time being it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what M3 did or didn't say because the GM has begged him to stay away and the damn commissar has not reinstated him.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Of course he wown't say it becuase as of right now Aaron IS the starter becuase Brett is STILL RETIRED. When asked what if Brett comes back, McCarthy said "We'll see when we get there". Doesn't sound like a man who 100% against having a competition.

Yes it does. At least once you take everything else into consideration, and you see the look on his face when making that statement. It sounds and looks like a man who is biting his tounge so hard it's starting to bleed.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Of course he wown't say it becuase as of right now Aaron IS the starter becuase Brett is STILL RETIRED. When asked what if Brett comes back, McCarthy said "We'll see when we get there". Doesn't sound like a man who 100% against having a competition.

Yes it does. At least once you take everything else into consideration, and you see the look on his face when making that statement. It sounds and looks like a man who is biting his tounge so hard it's starting to bleed.I saw him make the statement. It didn't look like that to me at all.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Yes it does. At least once you take everything else into consideration, and you see the look on his face when making that statement. It sounds and looks like a man who is biting his tounge so hard it's starting to bleed.I saw him make the statement. It didn't look like that to me at all.

We'll see. This will be answered within a week. But it sure looked like to me that McCarthy had already committed to Aaron Rodgers as the starter, Favre or no Favre.

imscott72
08-01-2008, 02:57 PM
There isn't going to be any competition. Favre came out and said let me compete, you know I'll win the job, and over and over MM has said Arod is out starter. That doesn't sound to me that's someone willing to hold a QB competition.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
There isn't going to be any competition. Favre came out and said let me compete, you know I'll win the job, and over and over MM has said Arod is out starter. That doesn't sound to me that's someone willing to hold a QB competition.Yeah becuase Favre has been totally honest about everything. :roll:

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah becuase Favre has been totally honest about everything. :roll:

Not the point.

The point is that Green Bay has made it clear by their actions that Favre is not welcome back to Green Bay to be a QB in 2008. You can try to label Favre a wimp all you want...but the truth is that he has been told that the Packers have "moved on" and want nothing to do with him.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 02:09 AM
There isn't going to be any competition. Favre came out and said let me compete, you know I'll win the job, and over and over MM has said Arod is out starter. That doesn't sound to me that's someone willing to hold a QB competition.

And let me say as someone that played a high level of high school and college ball, that is BS. There is more here than meets the eye...You don't take the 2nd most valuable MVP candidate from last year 2007 and toss him out to pasture, obviously there are 3 strong egos here, MM, TT (the Weasel) and Brett....2 beats 1. Pretty sad, but they are hella fucked if he comes back with another team and makes the playoffs and the Pack goes 8-8. Don't get me wrong, I love-support the Pack, but this is WHY THEY DON'T want him back. So SAD....

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Favre said the marketing deal he's considering signing would clearly benefit the Packers because they need his approval to market him for their own purposes.

"When I retire, they lose all marketing rights," Favre said. "They cannot sell anything with my name on it. That's a big deal to them. It's just like an endorsement with Nike. We have been working on that (deal) for some time."

His description of the marketing deal explains why negotiations are taking so long. The Packers stand to make a lot of money marketing Favre's image and his approval could be worth much more than the club is offering.

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp. He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

How come it took him so long to squash the rumor? Just kidding, but isn't it the same thing as Thompson not squashing the "cell phone" rumor until the media asked him a question about it?

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
He sounded almost conciliatory in that bit. Maybe there's some fence mending going on after all...

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Favre said the marketing deal he's considering signing would clearly benefit the Packers because they need his approval to market him for their own purposes.

"When I retire, they lose all marketing rights," Favre said. "They cannot sell anything with my name on it. That's a big deal to them. It's just like an endorsement with Nike. We have been working on that (deal) for some time."

His description of the marketing deal explains why negotiations are taking so long. The Packers stand to make a lot of money marketing Favre's image and his approval could be worth much more than the club is offering.

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp. He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

How come it took him so long to squash the rumor? Just kidding, but isn't it the same thing as Thompson not squashing the "cell phone" rumor until the media asked him a question about it?

Just because Favre himself says it isn't a bribe doesn't mean that the TT haters out there are going to believe him. People would read this and still cry "Don't take the money Brett!!"

FFS who wouldn't take the money! I've seen current NFL players and HOF former players alike say that they'd take the money. It's a hell of an offer, one not afforded to very many players. It's not a bribe. Favre said it isn't a bribe, so unless all of you pro-Favre posters out there are going to sit there and call Favre a liar then I guess it's not a bribe. Rather a tribute to 16 incredible seasons as a Packer. Take the money Brett, and remain a Green Bay Packer for life. You've earned it.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
JSO seems to have come around to calling it a licensing deal, not a marketing or personal services deal.

If Silverstein is correct in his claim that the Packer's cannot use Favre's image in selling items after his retirement, then this really is a different kettle of fish. And it doesn't preclude playing this season. He would need to retire for the deal to take effect (his current team would own the licensing rights if he plays this year or next) but there is not reason the deal cannot be consummated after his retirement, whenever.

So is playing again a ploy to drive up the price on this deal?