PDA

View Full Version : ""DRIVER WELCOMES RETURN""

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777833

Neat comments

Him being around, that’s the biggest thing,” Driver said. “We have so much fun with him around. It’s a good thing he’s back and coming back here. You have a different love for him than anybody else.

“My love for him is different than any other guy in the locker room. I’m glad he signed the papers and decided to come back for another year.”

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I got no problem with FAvre coming to camp. The only question is: will Favre supporters accept the coach's decision if Favre remains the backup?

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
I got no problem with FAvre coming to camp. The only question is: will Favre supporters accept the coach's decision if Favre remains the backup?

Probably depends whether he is given a chance to compete; regardless I see TT trading him if they are not going to give him a shot to start. If they are going to change their mind and open up the competition I think he will win it

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Probably depends whether he is given a chance to compete;

Here's the key right here: What does "chance to compete" mean?

I have so much more to say.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Probably depends whether he is given a chance to compete;

Here's the key right here: What does "chance to compete" mean?

I have so much more to say.

If he outperforms AROD in practices and games he starts

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:00 AM
For years, Jeff George could probably win a punt, pass and kick competition in any camp in the NFL. Yet he had a hard time finding and keeping employment.

I'm not saying that Favre has the same negatives as Jeff George, just making the point that the coaches make a decision on MANY factors beyond physical performance in preseason.

For instance, perhaps they are tired of Favre's late-career interception tendencies (not that he was unfamilar with them early on) in critical games. Maybe they see Rogers as half-a-season of experience away from being a more controlled, more mobile version of Favre. Maybe they are greatly disturbed by Favre eratic behavior the past 6 months, question his mental commitment and focus.

I am not trying to convince anyone that Rodgers is a better choice. Just saying it is the coaches call. Good God, I'm not done yet.....

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
For years, Jeff George could probably winning a punt, pass and kick competition in any camp in the NFL. Yet he had a hard time finding and keeping employment.

I'm not saying that Favre has the same negatives as Jeff George, just making the point that the coaches make a decision on MANY factors beyond physical performance in preseason.

For instance, perhaps they are tired of Favre's late-career interception tendencies (not that he was unfamilar with them early on) in critical games. Maybe they see Rogers as half-a-season of experience away from being a more controlled, more mobile version of Favre. Maybe they are greatly disturbed by Favre eratic behavior the past 6 months, question his mental commitment and focus.

I am not trying to convince anyone that Rodgers is a better choice. Just saying it is the coaches call. Good God, I'm not done yet.....

I'm ok with that; if that is their conclusion then get rid of him one way or the other. Doesn't sound like 20,000,000 worked so they might want to try another way :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
If he outperforms AROD in practices and games he starts

Horse shit. This is not Little League. The Coaches can set any criteria they want. NO PLAYER IS ENTITLED TO SUCH A CLEAR-CUT "FAIR COMPETITON." Coaches may have all sorts of complex reasons for preferring one player over another.

Favre doesn't need an audition. They know esactly what he can do, even if what he will do in 2008 is not 100% certain.

It's the Coaches call, not a fair system. The only extent to which a "fair competition" happens is if the coaches need that additional information to make their decision.

In the case of Rodgers vrs. Favre, Oz has spoken.

boiga
07-31-2008, 12:05 AM
If he outperforms AROD in practices and games he starts I know I've posted this before, but oh well.

There is no good way to have a quarterback competition in the NFL, or judge the quality of qb's based off of camp or preaseason games.

Here's the Ross Tucker article from SI that basically states the same thing. His main points are that Practice is not real football, neither are preseason games, and that GM's are inherently biased.

So, qb competitions are merely covers for GM's and coaches to pick the guy they were going to use anyways. That would be the case with Favre and Rodgers too, and it would be horrible for the team chemistry to boot.

A QB competition is NOT a viable option.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm ok with that; if that is their conclusion then get rid of him one way or the other. Doesn't sound like 20,000,000 worked so they might want to try another way :lol:

I think Brett is a very, very, very stubborn man.

I think he is better than Rodgers, and I don't blame him for being mad.

Life sometimes is just so unfair.

I've made some bad decisions in my life and had to pay consequences. Sorry for shocking news.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
We should put everyone's quotes in this thread. Anybody else got any more?

Aaron Kampman:

Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman, Rodgers' close friend and the quarterback's roommate in training camp, said Rodgers is a "tough guy" who will only get tougher under scrutiny.

"He's a grown man," Kampman said. "He's handling it very well. He's done tremendous. I think he continues to validate he's got some special stuff inside of him."

Kampman wasn't sure if Favre really would show up later this week, but he knew one thing for sure: It's time for the drama to end.

"I guess the question is not so much, would he be welcome, but will he come back? We don't know that yet," Kampman said. "Again, it's kind of speculative on our part. The day is Friday, so we'll see what happens when that comes. The big picture is, really, I think both parties want to move forward, both parties want a resolution. This is getting very drawn out, from both sides, and quite frankly I think everyone wants it to be over."

James Jones:

Receiver James Jones emphasized that Aaron Rodgers "is the guy, OK? It was great playing with Brett Favre...[but] it's Aaron Rodgers' time now."

"I have a better relationship with Aaron than I do with Brett, but the organization is going to do what they're going to do. I have no say-so. I just have to catch passes, whoever is throwing them."

Charles Woodson:

Cornerback Charles Woodson — who chanted "We want Brett!" as the former Raider left the practice field Tuesday but later laughed it off as "just having a little fun" with reporters.

"We're expected to be professionals and handle it that way. What we understand is A-Rod is our guy, he's always been our guy, as far as starting quarterback the whole offseason, starting camp. There's no reason for anybody in this locker room to take sides or say in the media they prefer one guy over the other. It's A-Rod's job, and at this point it's his job to keep."

Ryan Pickett:

"I don't know who else I'm speaking for but I would like him to stay here," Pickett said. "We love him. Great teammate, one of the best teammates you ever been around. 'A-Rod' is our quarterback now. We believe in him and we believe in Brett. I think he'd make us better."

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
We should put everyone's quotes in this thread. Anybody else got any more?

Aaron Kampman:

Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman, Rodgers' close friend and the quarterback's roommate in training camp, said Rodgers is a "tough guy" who will only get tougher under scrutiny.

"He's a grown man," Kampman said. "He's handling it very well. He's done tremendous. I think he continues to validate he's got some special stuff inside of him."

Kampman wasn't sure if Favre really would show up later this week, but he knew one thing for sure: It's time for the drama to end.

"I guess the question is not so much, would he be welcome, but will he come back? We don't know that yet," Kampman said. "Again, it's kind of speculative on our part. The day is Friday, so we'll see what happens when that comes. The big picture is, really, I think both parties want to move forward, both parties want a resolution. This is getting very drawn out, from both sides, and quite frankly I think everyone wants it to be over."

James Jones:

Receiver James Jones emphasized that Aaron Rodgers "is the guy, OK? It was great playing with Brett Favre...[but] it's Aaron Rodgers' time now."

"I have a better relationship with Aaron than I do with Brett, but the organization is going to do what they're going to do. I have no say-so. I just have to catch passes, whoever is throwing them."

Charles Woodson:

Cornerback Charles Woodson — who chanted "We want Brett!" as the former Raider left the practice field Tuesday but later laughed it off as "just having a little fun" with reporters.

"We're expected to be professionals and handle it that way. What we understand is A-Rod is our guy, he's always been our guy, as far as starting quarterback the whole offseason, starting camp. There's no reason for anybody in this locker room to take sides or say in the media they prefer one guy over the other. It's A-Rod's job, and at this point it's his job to keep."

Ryan Pickett:

"I don't know who else I'm speaking for but I would like him to stay here," Pickett said. "We love him. Great teammate, one of the best teammates you ever been around. 'A-Rod' is our quarterback now. We believe in him and we believe in Brett. I think he'd make us better."

Well if you want everybody's then get to work

AJ Hawk was interviewed by ESPN and had some nice comments.
And don't forget about Al Harris !
You got the bull by the horn; run with it !

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Well if you want everybody's then get to work

No thank you. I posted the transcripts of responses that I could find quickly. It's going to be a bunch of nothing. Some guys showing support for Brett (some of the older guys). Some guys for Rodgers (some of the younger guys and surprisingly, seemingly, Kampman). Most guys staying away from the question like it's a grenade. However, if we are going to post quotes, let's do it in one thread. I posted a couple in another thread and re-posted them here.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm waiting to hear DeShawn Wynn's take before I draw any conclusions.

boiga
07-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Driver today: http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/2008_training_camp/video_20080730__f007b48a8aa1__ce892b6ee717/

Arod's been fine. I think you guys are more worried about this than he is. He just wants to play football.... You know, We don't want to dwell on this. It should be over with now, we're trying to relax and just play football.
[Brett]'s gonna have the same role he's always had. He's always gonna be a leader in this locker room. So I don't think that's gonna change. (In the background, someone's yelling "man, forget Brett's swing" I think, you listen and tell me if you can hear it better. Jennings and Jones also get Driver to do pushups for the camera which is freakin' funny)

Sorry, I transcribed that myself so forgive any minor errors.

Edit: One more: Poppinga
“We are a close-knit team,” said linebacker Brady Poppinga. “No matter what may come, we are going to be solid, stay united (and) strong, and we are going to come out the other end better off than we were at the beginning. That’s just how we operate.” http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/PKR07/80730186/1057/PKR&located=RSS

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/PKR07/80730186/1058/PKR01

Of course Kampman is going to sing the praises of his teammate and roommate, the skeptics will chirp. Except that Kampman, a two-time Pro Bowl player, is known as a straight shooter who doesn’t embellish the facts to appease hungry reporters...

Everywhere you turn in the locker room, veterans and rookies alike offer Rodgers their unwavering support...

Favre told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen over the weekend he could beat Rodgers out for the starting job if given the chance. A host of Packers fans agree.

Brett, nice of you to tell Mortensen you could beat out Rodgers for the starting job. I'm sure you really needed to tell the media that. What a great teammate.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Driver today: http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/2008_training_camp/video_20080730__f007b48a8aa1__ce892b6ee717/

Arod's been fine. I think you guys are more worried about this than he is. He just wants to play football.... You know, We don't want to dwell on this. It should be over with now, we're trying to relax and just play football.
[Brett]'s gonna have the same role he's always had. He's always gonna be a leader in this locker room. So I don't think that's gonna change. (In the background, someone's yelling "man, forget Brett's swing" I think, you listen and tell me if you can hear it better. Jennings and Jones also get Driver to do pushups for the camera which is freakin' funny)

Sorry, I transcribed that myself so forgive any minor errors.

Edit: One more: Poppinga
“We are a close-knit team,” said linebacker Brady Poppinga. “No matter what may come, we are going to be solid, stay united (and) strong, and we are going to come out the other end better off than we were at the beginning. That’s just how we operate.” http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/PKR07/80730186/1057/PKR&located=RSS

what does "forget bretts swing" mean?

mmmdk
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Hands down; the club is above player(s); this would NEVER be questioned by most Euro fans of pro football (soccer). If a player is "king" then the club's credibility would fall into shambles. The coach and GM might pay a price themselves later...if results are unsatisfactory.

That's the way it is and should be.

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
what does "forget bretts swing" mean? I have no frickin idea. Watch the driver video and you tell me if it was something different. Maybe he was talking to Swain, the rookie receiver?