View Full Version : Trade to Vikings or Bears possible

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778410

Packers frustrated as Favre saga continues
By BOB McGINN and TOM SILVERSTEIN

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
What I don't understand in all of this is this: If Favre is unwilling to cooperate with trades to Jets or Tampa, why the hell would the league be putting pressure on the Packers?

This whole saga disgusts me to the core. The whole world is dancing around a prima donna.

boiga
07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Well, that's somewhat exculpatory. If the Packers having been trying to get Brett under a long term, non-player contract, no wonder they dragged their feet on giving him a trade.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 12:29 AM
WTMJ-TV (Channel 4) in Milwaukee reported that during the meeting, Murphy presented Favre and Cook with an offer in which the Packers would compensate Favre in the area of $20 million over the next 10 years in order to remain retired.

How disgustingly SICK is that???

Yeah right, they want to do what's best for Favre.....pay him off??

LET THE GUY PLAY!!

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:30 AM
The guy could play if he'd just cooperate with the Packers on a trade. Instead he's trying to stick it to Ted Thompson (and the Packers) on the way out the door. Asshat.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:30 AM
LET THE GUY PLAY!!

He's not interested in the backup job. And he's unwilling to play for the teams the Packers offer to trade him to.

Who the hell is he, God?

MadtownPacker
07-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Man Harv, I think you know better than to post an article form JSO on here. Whats up with that?

For those who actually dont know what I am talking about, JSO sent PackerRats an email about copyright infringement due to their articles being posted on here. PLEASE dont post JSO stuff here, just links.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:32 AM
I now hope he's a complete failure wherever he goes. My ideal scenario was Packers vs. Ravens with Brett in the Super Bowl. Now, my ideal scenario is a repeat of 2005 (for him) with some other team.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Driven to the brink of desperation? McGinn and Silverstein are colossal IDIOTS if they think that.

If there's any truth to the $20 million thing, it shows that the Packers really would shell out money if they had to. That takes away any shred of leverage Favre ever may have had--assuming there even is any truth to the whole media instigated line of crap about his having sinister intentions.

They can merely keep him on the roster, pay his salary, and let him sit. No way in hell they consider a trade to the Bears or Vikings with that as the bottom line.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
This shit has me really frustrated. He wanted to come back. I understand the change of heart. The Packers have moved on. Do the reasonable thing and work out a trade with Tampa Bay or something. Take your hatred for Ted Thompson out of the equation and think of it as a chance to do something fair for all of those fans that rooted for you for 16 years.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
This is unbelievably ugly.

I will never be a Farve fan again. He's a jerk.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
The guy could play if he'd just cooperate with the Packers on a trade.

WHY should he settle for being dumped off to some team that he doesn't want to play for? You surprise me Harv.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
IF the rumor is true, the idea of the payoff is initiated by the Packers. So why suddenly start hating on Favre?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
The guy could play if he'd just cooperate with the Packers on a trade.

WHY should he settle for being dumped off to some team that he doesn't want to play for? You surprise me Harv.

Because he is an NFL player under contract, not the goddamn pope.

He has no right to dictate where he is traded, especially because he obviously has a list of one or two teams.

He is demanding to be a free agent, like Javon Walker did, with even less justification.

He is a jerk.

packers11
07-31-2008, 12:43 AM
haha I just heard of ESPN RADIO...

"He will be limited to individual drills all of camp if he reports" - packer source...

So what does he get to do? Throw balls to the 3rd deck??? :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:45 AM

"He will be limited to individual drills all of camp if he reports" - packer source...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it. I myself have been limitted to individual drills for the past couple years, so I can relate.

digitaldean
07-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Well, either he gets banished to the Don Hutson Center indoors...

or

We see a lot of footballs launched outside the fences!

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 12:46 AM
This shit has me really frustrated. He wanted to come back. I understand the change of heart. The Packers have moved on. Do the reasonable thing and work out a trade with Tampa Bay or something. Take your hatred for Ted Thompson out of the equation and think of it as a chance to do something fair for all of those fans that rooted for you for 16 years.

I don't blame him for not wanting to go to the NY Jets; they might be ok but it also might take a miracle to go to the Super Bowl.

If Favre still wants a ring he probably wants to avoid the AFC all together. Hard for teams to pass Indy, NE, SD, maybe Jags and Pit.

Tampa Bay is still a good fit; but I think Garcia is back there now

I don't think Favre owes us; he would like to stay in GB so if he's rebuffed it's hard for me to blame him for trying to push a hand to send him somewhere he wants to go. If it's MN as most are reporting, IMO much of the reason is because he thinks they have a legit shot......and with a QB many of us might agree.

I still hope he goes to TB, but who knows what'll occur.

In the mean time he should get to GB for practice.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 12:49 AM

That's right. So let him come to camp, UNDER CONTRACT, and compete for his job back. What's so difficult in that? After all, Packer management would SURELY want to put the best QB on the field, RIGHT?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't think Favre owes us; he would like to stay in GB so if he's rebuffed it's hard for me to blame him for trying to push a hand to send him somewhere he wants to go.

What do you think is a reasonable number of teams for him to offer to the Packers as trade options?
I would say 10, maybe 8. Because most will be duds - no interest.

What you are describing is an essentially uncompromising position on his part. He wants to go where he wants to go and that's that. OK, well the Packers should fight back with everything they have, and they may get to the point of not caring about any residual hard feelings.

packers11
07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
That's right. So let him come to camp, UNDER CONTRACT, and compete for his job back. What's so difficult in that? After all, Packer management would SURELY want to put the best QB on the field, RIGHT?

:bclap:

only if MM/TT could just figure it out...

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it. I myself have been limitted to individual drills for the past couple years, so I can relate.

Building up that good right hand, are ya?

packers11
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/

listen live. he has new updates about if favre repots to training camp right after the break.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:53 AM

Ummm, this "compete for his job back" is the sticking point. I delivered a long speech on this topic in another thread, you'll really be cheating yourself if you don't seek it out.

Here's the executive summary: a "fair competition" as you are thinking of it is not a right of NFL players. It is done when the coaches want one to make up their minds.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Ummm, this "compete for his job back" is the sticking point. I delivered a long speech on this topic in another thread, you'll really be cheating yourself if you don't seek it out.

Here's the executive summary: a "fair competition" as you are thinking of it is not a right of NFL players. It is done when the coaches want one to make up their minds.

ok fine, then release him and let him play where he wants to. period.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:56 AM

ok fine, then release him and let him play where he wants to. period.

that would definitely be harmful to the Packers. They are not in the business of strengthening the Vikings.

TT sets his priorities this way:
1) Interests of the Packers
2) Favre's happiness

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caqr2zecCUs

I"M WITH DA HOTTIE

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:58 AM
let him play where he wants to. period.

just an added note: why should the world revolve around accomodating Favre's wants? You sound like the little league mom of a very spoiled child.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
that would definitely be harmful to the Packers. They are not in the business of strengthening the Vikings.

TT sets his priorities this way:
1) Interests of the Packers
2) Favre's happiness

Whatever.

So, 1) has nothing to do with putting the best QB on the field for 2008?

I swear if I ever hear TT mention again that they want what's best for Brett I will throw up.

This whole thing is just disgusting.

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
let him play where he wants to. period.

just an added note: why should the world revolve around accomodating Favre's wants? You sound like the little league mom of a very spoiled child.

She is the cute little league mom of a star player..........wait........forget that

kick his ass 007 :!:

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
[You sound like the little league mom of a very spoiled child.
and you sir, sound like an idiot for making a personal statement like that.

Tarlam!
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
why should the world revolve around accomodating Favre's wants?

This is the the most significant question I've seen raised in over 400 pages of threads on the Favre subject.

Of course, Favre has earned a spot in Canton and in the cellar of the Lambeau Atrium. No question. No question he'll get those honours.

He also got paid handsomely for his 16 years as a Packer. Plus, if the 20 million offer is credible, that was to be paid over 10 years, most likely for representing the Packers.

Favre has gotten and will continue to receive his due. He is owed NOTHING by the Packers.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:06 AM

i don't know whether to throw another dart or feign embarassment.

I'm ashamed of myself, I really am.

Don't feel too bad, I called Bretsky a liar in another thread.

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 01:09 AM

i don't whether to throw another dart or feign embarassment.

I'm ashamed of myself, I really am.

Don't feel too bad, I called Bretsky a liar in another thread.

I thought you just called my judgment incompetent as of late
Hey, at least I got to tell you to F off without using any bad language in the forum :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:12 AM

well, yes, that was my point. But some in there was the phrase "bald-faced lie", and I did regret putting it so harshly.

As to 007's bruised feelings: it has just been the same argument over and over again. I respect your loyalty and position. Sorry for treading on your feelings so harshly, I'm just a bit pissed off at the whole affair.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 01:20 AM

well, yes, that was my point. But some in there was the phrase "bald-faced lie", and I did regret putting it so harshly.

As to 007's bruised feelings: it has just been the same argument over and over again. I respect your loyalty and position. Sorry for treading on your feelings so harshly, I'm just a bit pissed off at the whole affair.

And with that you have to agree it's been the same argument over and over again with the TT/management supporters.

Funny thing is, I've seen way more Favre supporters say both sides made major mistakes. The other side admits no fault in this mess. The truth is out there in limbo and we will never know all the details......ever!!

Maybe the loyalty slips in with those of us that played sports and can relate to the feeling. Maybe the people that take the side of management are more related to just that, management.

Tarlam!
07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
I've seen way more Favre supporters say both sides made major mistakes. The other side admits no fault in this mess. The truth is out there in limbo and we will never know all the details......ever!!

Maybe the loyalty slips in with those of us that played sports and can relate to the feeling. Maybe the people that take the side of management are more related to just that, management.

Highlight for me again what mistakes have been made?

The way I see it, Management has looked at this from Day I from a business perspective, excludng emotions and sentiments, which is exactly what they need to be doing.

The Favre camp has been emotional and sentimental beyond belief. It has used threats, rumor-mongering and leakage of private discussions to influence a decision.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:35 AM
what Tarlam! said

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 01:36 AM

The way I see it, Management has looked at this from Day I from a business perspective, excludng emotions and sentiments, which is exactly what they need to be doing.

Like I've said a few times, none of us, nobody, will ever know the complete facts and truth in what mistakes have been made.....but I would bet my last dollar that both sides have made mistakes and have not been completely honest with the public.

I hope in the end they are ok with their conscious....in the end, that's all that matters.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Like I've said a few times, none of us, nobody, will ever know the complete facts and truth in what mistakes have been made.....but I would bet my last dollar that both sides have made mistakes and have not been completely honest with the public.

A whitewash - everybody is wrong so nobody is wrong.

The Favre camp has not been shy about calling out the packers for their alleged crimes, we know EVERYTHING that has offended Favre.

There is not a balance here, Favre has been totally out of line.

I hope in the end they are ok with their conscious....in the end, that's all that matters.

Lord help me. You mean the Packers might consider feeling guilty for the terrible way they have treated Brett.

Trouble is, they have acted very professionally, and they spent a lot of time and energy trying to accomodate Lord Favre's whims. You can't see it because you are blinded by your fanatical loyalty, but Favre has been a jerk.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Time to take B's line and say we will have to agree to disagree.....or whatever it is.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Trouble is, they have acted very professionally, and they spent a lot of time and energy trying to accomodate Lord Favre's whims.

He thought he was above the team and Thompson by skipping the offseason work (which is something he's stated numerous times over a long period of time that he hates, and it's something McCarthy finds to be one of the most important things for his team) and thinking the Packers would welcome him back with open arms despite his waffling. His ego got in the way. Then, it got bruised. Now, he's bitter. Now, I'm bitter.

Work out a friggin' trade already. He doesn't owe the Packers anything, but the Packers don't own him anything. They got a Hall of Fame QB. He got huge money and adoration for many years. He's using the threat of retiring as a trump card to dictate where he'll go. Most players not named Favre wouldn't have the sympathy or the luxury to do that. Most players don't dictate completely where they go. The organization should make sure he doesn't go to a division rival. Any organization would try to make sure that doesn't happen.

falco
07-31-2008, 06:15 AM
I now hope he's a complete failure wherever he goes. My ideal scenario was Packers vs. Ravens with Brett in the Super Bowl. Now, my ideal scenario is a repeat of 2005 (for him) with some other team.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

i've been saying this for awhile now - under different terms, I would have cheered for brett (ie; he left after 2005 so that the packers could rebuild). the way this has handled makes me very bitter towards favre

packrulz
07-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Seriously, I think the Pack should go ahead and trade Favre to the Bears or viqueens for at least a 3rd round pick and be done with it. Arod will do fine.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:53 AM

That's right. So let him come to camp, UNDER CONTRACT, and compete for his job back. What's so difficult in that? After all, Packer management would SURELY want to put the best QB on the field, RIGHT?He refuses to compete and feels he should just be given his job back.

Bossman641
07-31-2008, 06:59 AM

I don't understand this line of thinking from Favre supporters at all. "There's gotta be something else, something big happened that we just haven't heard about." That's what you're using as the basis for support of Favre's asshole behavior? That there is some side to the story we just haven't heard yet? If there is anything we haven't heard, I believe it would be more damaging to Favre than the organization.

If Favre had some big bombshell that would really make TT look bad and would give him more public support, don't you think he would have used it already? Maybe you think Favre would be above that. Two months ago I would have agreed with you, now it's pretty clear that Favre will do anything possible to get what he wants. It's not like he has been holding back on anything. He's already had his family spread flat out lies, has criticized the organization in a powderpuff interview and still hasn't taken any real questions, has twisted words, and his side has been leaking private conversations approximately .001 seconds after they end.

HowardRoark
07-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Seriously, I think the Pack should go ahead and trade Favre to the Bears or viqueens for at least a 3rd round pick and be done with it. Arod will do fine.

I agree.

1. Favre is a distraction. Period. Wherevever he is. He will be a huge distraction in Chicago or Minnesota. We could actually be temporarily hurting one of these teams by moving the circus up or down the road. They, especially a town like Minneapolis/St. Paul, will not know what hit them.

2. By opening up the bidding to every team, the cost for him will start moving up. Actual competition for his services, will equate to much higher compensation.

3. The guy is not going to play much longer anyway. Let the MN fans deal with the constant questioning about whether or not he will play next season.

4. Start mending all these burned bridges. #4 will be in the ring in the stadium. There is a good chance a statue of Favre will be put up next to Lombardi and Lambeau.....so start the process now.

5. Tell Goddell to somehow compensate the Pack for being the good soldier. Can you imagine the woody he will get in anticipation of a Pack/Viking game in early September with Favre on the other team?

6. Beat the Vikings w/Favre. Priceless.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't think Favre owes us; he would like to stay in GB so if he's rebuffed it's hard for me to blame him for trying to push a hand to send him somewhere he wants to go.

What do you think is a reasonable number of teams for him to offer to the Packers as trade options?

What you are describing is an essentially uncompromising position on his part. He wants to go where he wants to go and that's that. OK, well the Packers should fight back with everything they have, and they may get to the point of not caring about any residual hard feelings.Exactly, by the end of TC, TT could feel as he taken enough heat already to the point that the heat he would get for keeping Brett as a backup would be tolerable.

AV David
07-31-2008, 07:10 AM
" ... and they may get to the point of not caring about any residual hard feelings."

AMEN

mraynrand
07-31-2008, 07:15 AM

This is the the most significant question I've seen raised in over 400 pages of threads on the Favre subject.

Of course, Favre has earned a spot in Canton and in the cellar of the Lambeau Atrium. No question. No question he'll get those honours.

He also got paid handsomely for his 16 years as a Packer. Plus, if the 20 million offer is credible, that was to be paid over 10 years, most likely for representing the Packers.

Favre has gotten and will continue to receive his due. He is owed NOTHING by the Packers.

OK, but then Favre owes nothing to the Packers. The reality of the situation is that the Packers will not let Favre come back and even compete to be the starter. Rodgers is the starter. They WILL NOT trade Favre to any of the teams he wants. Favre is coming back to have a chance to win it all. The Packers are playing extreme hardball - essentially trying to force Favre to stay retired. That's their right. But given the team's position, and their huge advantage in negotiating strength, why shouldn't Favre do what he can to get what he wants? He clearly doesn't have an angle with $$$$. So what's left to him? He can only push any personal favor angle or be an asshat. His only other option is the play for some shitty team, a team he doesn't want to play for, or crawl back home and not play. The phrase 'prima donna' doesn't apply to Favre - nor to the Packers. They are management and employee with vastly different goals and a binding contract between them. Each is doing what they have to to get what they want.

mmmdk
07-31-2008, 07:43 AM

...I hear there's a dungeon beneath the Atrium; will Favre join TJ Rubley's horror cabinet and other Packer outcasts? Stay tuned :twisted:

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 07:46 AM

OK, but then Favre owes nothing to the Packers. The reality of the situation is that the Packers will not let Favre come back and even compete to be the starter. Rodgers is the starter. They WILL NOT trade Favre to any of the teams he wants. Favre is coming back to have a chance to win it all. The Packers are playing extreme hardball - essentially trying to force Favre to stay retired. That's their right. But given the team's position, and their huge advantage in negotiating strength, why shouldn't Favre do what he can to get what he wants? He clearly doesn't have an angle with $$$$. So what's left to him? He can only push any personal favor angle or be an asshat. His only other option is the play for some shitty team, a team he doesn't want to play for, or crawl back home and not play. The phrase 'prima donna' doesn't apply to Favre - nor to the Packers. They are management and employee with vastly different goals and a binding contract between them. Each is doing what they have to to get what they want.Again you have no evidence that the Packers won't let him compete other than from Favre himself, who has also on recdord as refusing to compete an has been a habitual liar over the last two months. Presenting that as fact is irresponsible and rediculous.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Im going to the first MNF game.....do I boo or cheer Brett if he comes out of the tunnel in purple?

mraynrand
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Again you have no evidence that the Packers won't let him compete other than from Favre himself, who has also on recdord as refusing to compete an has been a habitual liar over the last two months. Presenting that as fact is irresponsible and rediculous.

That's right. I have no evidence. I'm guessing, based on reports from various media. I think I will be proven right about this. It seems obvious to me that the Packers DO NOT want Favre back, which would be a precondition for allowing him to compete for the starting job. Favre helped ensure this himself, by calling Thompson a liar on national cable TV. McCarthy can say he wants Favre back until the Cows come home - sounds great, but it's meaningless - McCarthy is not responsible for Favre's spot on the roster.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Im going to the first MNF game.....do I boo or cheer Brett if he comes out of the tunnel in purple?

Applaud politely out of respect for what he accomplished in Green Bay, but you don't need to stand up and cheer.

Look, this may be a minority position here, but I say, if the best deal the Packers can get is to trade Favre to Minnesota or (shudder) Chicago, I say, bite the bullet and do it. It took me a while to come to this position, because of the concerns of potentially strengthening division rivals. But if you think the Packers have a chance to make a Super Bowl run, EVERY NFL team is a potential obstacle, especially the other teams in the NFC. Also, more maliciously, if he plays against the Cowboys and keeps them out of the playoffs, I consider that a net gain for society :D

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Applaud politely out of respect for what he accomplished in Green Bay, but you don't need to stand up and cheer.

Look, this may be a minority position here, but I say, if the best deal the Packers can get is to trade Favre to Minnesota or (shudder) Chicago, I say, bite the bullet and do it. It took me a while to come to this position, because of the concerns of potentially strengthening division rivals. But if you think the Packers have a chance to make a Super Bowl run, EVERY NFL team is a potential obstacle, especially the other teams in the NFC. Also, more maliciously, if he plays against the Cowboys and keeps them out of the playoffs, I consider that a net gain for society :D

Yeah after thinking about it, I will cheer - probably standing ovation....Ive come to the point where I don't care were he goes, MN, CHI, I dont care.

mraynrand
07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Look, this may be a minority position here, but I say, if the best deal the Packers can get is to trade Favre to Minnesota or (shudder) Chicago, I say, bite the bullet and do it.

I say FUCK FAVRE. I'm with the leadership on this one. We're talking 100 years of rivalry. Favre is still plenty good. Pictures of Favre sticking it to the Packers in a Viking or Bears uni will exist FOREVER - FOR THE REST OF MY MISERABLE FUCKING LIFE. Don't give in Packer Brass - DON'T GIVE IN!!!!

Fritz
07-31-2008, 09:01 AM

I agree.

1. Favre is a distraction. Period. Wherevever he is. He will be a huge distraction in Chicago or Minnesota. We could actually be temporarily hurting one of these teams by moving the circus up or down the road. They, especially a town like Minneapolis/St. Paul, will not know what hit them.

2. By opening up the bidding to every team, the cost for him will start moving up. Actual competition for his services, will equate to much higher compensation.

3. The guy is not going to play much longer anyway. Let the MN fans deal with the constant questioning about whether or not he will play next season.

4. Start mending all these burned bridges. #4 will be in the ring in the stadium. There is a good chance a statue of Favre will be put up next to Lombardi and Lambeau.....so start the process now.

5. Tell Goddell to somehow compensate the Pack for being the good soldier. Can you imagine the woody he will get in anticipation of a Pack/Viking game in early September with Favre on the other team?

6. Beat the Vikings w/Favre. Priceless.

I absolutely agree with the above posts. In addition, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Favre has stressed the importance of offseason workouts with a trainer, and also likes to be comfortable in the system he's running and with the receivers he's working with. None of that will be happening if he goes to Minnesota. Who's he going to make his favorite guy? Robert Ferguson? I just don't think Favre will be the guy he was in past years. So ship him to Minny and give him his wish.

Okay, 007, Bretsky, and the Favre-defendeers: Favre's first wish was to play for his beloved Packers in a year they were ready to contend for a ring. Well, guess what. He had that chance. He had that chance in January, in February, in March and even in April. Favre has not denied that TT and MM were ready to fly down to Mississippi to finalize the details of his return to the Pack (wasn't that in April? I think it was). But what did Favre do? He re-retired.

You make it seem as if Favre had no time to decide and no leeway to change his mind. But the guy had three and a half months to make up his mind, and even the chance as late as April to change his mind and come back. He didn't take it. HE SAID NO.

So I just can't feel any sympathy whatsoever for him. I feel bad in that it's been agonizing. But this whole thing about being "pressured" to retire - is Favre a grown up or not? He said in his press conference that there was no pressure to retire - so was that a lie?

I just don't think Favre's got a leg to stand on here. Have the Packers handled it perfectly? Heck no. I think a week or two ago TT went off a little and said some things publicly he ought not to have said. But I think he's come back from the brink and has gone back to saying only benign things. I also think, as I stated above, that the Pack was too quick to shoot down an intra-divisional trade.

So no, TT and the Pack have not been perfect. But they've been a hell of a lot more classy than Favre.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
I absolutely agree with the above posts. In addition, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Favre has stressed the importance of offseason workouts with a trainer, and also likes to be comfortable in the system he's running and with the receivers he's working with. None of that will be happening if he goes to Minnesota. Who's he going to make his favorite guy? Robert Ferguson? I just don't think Favre will be the guy he was in past years. So ship him to Minny and give him his wish.

I also think that Bevell and Childress will let him do whatever he wants. Those guys have less of a spine than Sherman.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Look, this may be a minority position here, but I say, if the best deal the Packers can get is to trade Favre to Minnesota or (shudder) Chicago, I say, bite the bullet and do it.

I say FUCK FAVRE. I'm with the leadership on this one. We're talking 100 years of rivalry. Favre is still plenty good. Pictures of Favre sticking it to the Packers in a Viking or Bears uni will exist FOREVER - FOR THE REST OF MY MISERABLE FUCKING LIFE. Don't give in Packer Brass - DON'T GIVE IN!!!!

Well, 80+ years with the Bears, and just short of 50 with the Vikings, but I get your point.
Look, I'm plenty tired of the Brett Favre show now, too, but the key consideration if "what's best for the Packers", not sending messages to Favre or whoever, or making an emotional deal. Say they get a first-round draft pick for Favre--that man could be in the league ten years after Favre is retired. Then, we all may be smiling from ear to ear.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree.

1. Favre is a distraction. Period. Wherevever he is. He will be a huge distraction in Chicago or Minnesota. We could actually be temporarily hurting one of these teams by moving the circus up or down the road. They, especially a town like Minneapolis/St. Paul, will not know what hit them. (snip)

So no, TT and the Pack have not been perfect. But they've been a hell of a lot more classy than Favre.

I'm with Fritz all the way on all of these points.

ahaha
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
I wonder if more teams might be interested in Favre if the trade was only for a 7th round pick. Maybe one of the crappy AFC teams would give up an insignificant draft pick for Favre's rights, whether he'll talk to them or not. Put in the condition that he can't be traded to the Vikes or Bears. Then Brett can wonder why he didn't at least talk to the Buccaneers while he plays for some shitty team.

mmmdk
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM

I'd boo 'cos I'm a Packer fan - that one was easy!

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

I'd boo 'cos I'm a Packer fan - that one was easy!Agreed. If a war hero turns traitor, you still hang the guy.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
I wonder if more teams might be interested in Favre if the trade was only for a 7th round pick. Maybe one of the crappy AFC teams would give up an insignificant draft pick for Favre's rights, whether he'll talk to them or not. Put in the condition that he can't be traded to the Vikes or Bears. Then Brett can wonder why he didn't at least talk to the Buccaneers while he plays for some shitty team.

Seems to me that couldn't happen. Who would trade for him without finding out whether he'd play for them or not? Suppose the Jets want him, and they trade for Favre, who then says he'd rather retire than play for them. They'd look ridiculous.

ahaha
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM

Seems to me that couldn't happen. Who would trade for him without finding out whether he'd play for them or not? Suppose the Jets want him, and they trade for Favre, who then says he'd rather retire than play for them. They'd look ridiculous.

Because it's a crappy 7th round pick for his rights. The packers did that for Keith Jackson( a higher pick) and he refused to play for us until part way through the season.

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Seems to me that couldn't happen. Who would trade for him without finding out whether he'd play for them or not? Suppose the Jets want him, and they trade for Favre, who then says he'd rather retire than play for them. They'd look ridiculous.Not really, it'd be a conditional pick. If Brett starts for them, they would give us a 4th rounder. If he never does, they wouldn't give us anything. It can also be written in that if he plays for another team in the next year, they would give us two 1st round picks to avoid double dealing.

So the amount of risk to the Jets would only be bad PR, but the draw Favre would bring to their stadiums and merchandising might make up for that.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 10:13 AM
It can also be written in that if he plays for another team in the next year, they would give us two 1st round picks to avoid double dealing.

Teams probably won't accept that...or it would at the very least reduce what we could expect in return from them.

LL2
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM

I'd boo 'cos I'm a Packer fan - that one was easy!

You'd better boo Favre if your at the game and he comes out of the tunnel wearing purple. All the fans should throw marshmellows at him.

If he gets traded to the Vikes or Bears the Packers better get a 1st rd pick and a 3rd rd pick...if not more!

Cheesehead Craig
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm also in the camp of "I don't care where he goes anymore".

Favre being traded anywhere other than where he wants to go won't happen. He has refused to speak with the Jets and Bucs per reports. Can't make a trade work if he won't speak to the teams.

He goes to the Vikings, fine. The Bears, fine. I'm just so damn sick of what's happened in this I just want it done.

If the organization says they have moved on to life without Favre than prove it and take a lower draft pick compensation and move on already. Enough of this "fair value" nonsense. He was retired and you were getting nothing but cap relief from him before. Be happy you get a 3rd rounder for him now.

Time for me to get a new Packers jersey. I really can't see myself wearing my Favre one any longer.

prsnfoto
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

What you are describing is an essentially uncompromising position on his part. He wants to go where he wants to go and that's that. OK, well the Packers should fight back with everything they have, and they may get to the point of not caring about any residual hard feelings.

Do you mean like the uncompromising position the Packers doe eyed GM TT the real prima donna has taken? :D

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Why is there such a myth on this forum that TT supporters think that management hasn't done anything wrong? Favre supporters think that they are righteous for admitting Favre's mistakes (exception being Partial and Woody.) And then they turn around and say "Yeah, well TT supporters think he's done nothing wrong."

I don't know how this has come about, but it's a myth. I've always been one of the biggest Thompson supporters on here and I will easily admit he could of handled things better. Of course, he's handled things much better than Favre, but still, both sides have made mistakes.

Fritz
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Uncompromising? How many times do you have to be reminded that TT and Mm were ready to fly down to Mississippi in April, I think it was, to finalize the details of Favre's "un-retirement"? They've let him wait that long, they've offered to trade him - to an NFC contender, no less - so what the heck else should they do? Give up his rights for nothing? Would you like it if they'd done that with Mike Mckenzie, or Javon Walker?

The Gunshooter
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Let Favre back up Rodgers, then if Rodgers gets hurt say in week 10 Favre can come in fresh to finish the season. Either that or just cut him at the end of camp if he continues the insubordination.

packers11
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
BRILLIANT TED... trade him to the vikings so I can watch him potentially beat the shit out of my team on our own turf...

Last time I checked Tarvaris Jackson is doing shitty on 7 on 7s. That team is one quarterback from being a real threat in the NFC. Does Ted really want the vikings to get better?

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Let Favre back up Rodgers, then if Rodgers gets hurt say in week 10 Favre can come in fresh to finish the season. Either that or just cut him at the end of camp if he continues the insubordination.

As has been said, you just can't do that. Yes, it would be nice to have the injury protection in Favre, but the constant watchful eye of Favre over Rodgers would be hell. Rodgers throws a game ending INT "BRING BACK FAVRE!"....Rodgers has a feud with a WR "BRING BACK FAVRE!"....

It'd just be too big of a distraction.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Does Ted really want the vikings to get better?

No, but the Packers have left themselves with few options otherwise at this point. They "moved on", but without any real plan for the ramifications if Favre decided to eventually come back.

Tony Oday
If he plays against us I hope all packer fans just ignore him. Pretend to read the paper or something :)

mraynrand

Well, 80+ years with the Bears, and just short of 50 with the Vikings, but I get your point.
Look, I'm plenty tired of the Brett Favre show now, too, but the key consideration if "what's best for the Packers", not sending messages to Favre or whoever, or making an emotional deal. Say they get a first-round draft pick for Favre--that man could be in the league ten years after Favre is retired. Then, we all may be smiling from ear to ear.

Maybe, but doubtful. In all liklihood, it won't be a #1, and even if it were, it would be John Michels or Antuan Edwards, or Jamaal Reynolds. but the Pics of Favre sticking it to the Pack will be there forever - stuck in our faces by Bear and Viking Fans for the rest of our lives. I'll give up a T-Buck or a Vonnie Holliday, or an AJ Hawk to NOT have to see that EVER!

mraynrand
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM

No, but the Packers have left themselves with few options otherwise at this point. They "moved on", but without any real plan for the ramifications if Favre decided to eventually come back.

They don't have to do jack squat. They obviously have the 12 mil and can give it to Favre and tell him to practice quietly by himself or not show up at all, like Terry Glenn (NE) or Keyshawn Johnson (Tampa). the Packers hold all the cards - all Favre can do now is look like an asshole, which he is doing better and better each day. Personally, I think Favre as GB's starter is the smart thing - chances are he doesn't last the year and then Rodgers can come in and clean up. But the Packers aren't budging (and I wouldn't budge unless they et a Hershel Walker type deal). Too bad, Brett.maybe you could go cry to Greta and call Thompson a liar again. That will help, I'm sure.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

They don't have to do jack squat. They obviously have the 12 mil and can give it to Favre and tell him to practice quietly by himself or not show up at all, like Terry Glenn (NE) or Keyshawn Johnson (Tampa). the Packers hold all the cards - all Favre can do now is look like an asshole, which he is doing better and better each day. Personally, I think Favre as GB's starter is the smart thing - chances are he doesn't last the year and then Rodgers can come in and clean up. But the Packers aren't budging (and I wouldn't budge unless they et a Hershel Walker type deal). Too bad, Brett.maybe you could go cry to Greta and call Thompson a liar again. That will help, I'm sure.

I thought that wasnt allowed anymore?

mraynrand
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM

interesting. At least the first part has to be true, right? They can let him into the facility and practice all by his lonesome; keep him inactive game-day, etc. How long do you think Favre would stick around for that?

HowardRoark
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM

Isn't this the kind of treatment Favre has asked for lately anyway? The old recluse.

I haven't looked up the word irony recently, but this may be an example.

Fritz
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Trade Favre to Minnesota!

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Trade Favre to Minnesota!

From a competitive standpoint, I'd prefer for him to go to Chicago. But, that's just too much. I still hate the Bears more than the Vikes.

I agree, send him to Minny and then let's countdown 'til the September showdown.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
What I don't get is what would be the incentive for Minnesota giving up something in a trade. I don't believe Chilly and Bevell just talked about the weather when talking to Favre. If they know Favre would likely go there if he were released, why would they give up much? Especially, if Favre continues to play hardball and won't accept a trade to a team like Tampa Bay?

Rastak
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
What I don't get is what would be the incentive for Minnesota giving up something in a trade. I don't believe Chilly and Bevell just talked about the weather when talking to Favre. If they know Favre would likely go there if he were released, why would they give up much? Especially, if Favre continues to play hardball and won't accept a trade to a team like Tampa Bay?

I'm not 100% convinced they want him but the incentive would be to get him into camp now. I can't see a high pick either. A mid round pick to Green Bay to make it go away for them I would think. The longer it goes, the lower the pick I would think.

DonHutson
07-31-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm not 100% convinced they want him but the incentive would be to get him into camp now. I can't see a high pick either. A mid round pick to Green Bay to make it go away for them I would think. The longer it goes, the lower the pick I would think.

This is why the Packers should've just let Favre show up, media be damned. If they hadn't acted so afraid of his presence, they'd be more convincing when they tell the Vikings to pay up now or they'll be waiting a long time.

This would've lit a fire under Favre as well I believe. The longer he spent bouncing balls off the side of the Hutson center by himself, the more interested he would have been in trades.

Being too pussyfooted about Favre showing up has been Green Bay's biggest tactical mistake.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Where does all out BULLSHIT like this come from anyway?

The journalistic IDIOTS of ESPN have the gall to call it "breaking news" when a new God damned RUMOR is MANUFACTURED by these two no-class BONEHEADS from the Journal/Sentinel. Sheesh! And some of you guys act like it's gospel! Get a clue!

Have Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy, anybody at all from the team given ANY indication whatsoever that crap like a trade in the division is even remotely possible? HELL NO!

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM

This is why the Packers should've just let Favre show up, media be damned. If they hadn't acted so afraid of his presence, they'd be more convincing when they tell the Vikings to pay up now or they'll be waiting a long time.

This would've lit a fire under Favre as well I believe. The longer he spent bouncing balls off the side of the Hutson center by himself, the more interested he would have been in trades.

Being too pussyfooted about Favre showing up has been Green Bay's biggest tactical mistake.

There is a huge negative to Favre showing up too though DH. It would be a huge distraction. Unprecedented even. I think that's a little more than they were willing to place on a young football team, and why they tried as hard as they did to talk him out of it.

boiga
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM

Being too pussyfooted about Favre showing up has been Green Bay's biggest tactical mistake.That's my stance as well. By asking Favre not to show, they demonstrated weakness that the media is going to be hounding them for. They should have let Favre show up and make it McCarthy's decision to let Aaron be the starter. Any complaint from Favre would sound like whining at that point. M3 can handle the media pressure, so they should have just let it happen.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM

Being too pussyfooted about Favre showing up has been Green Bay's biggest tactical mistake.That's my stance as well. By asking Favre not to show, they demonstrated weakness that the media is going to be hounding them for. They should have let Favre show up and make it McCarthy's decision to let Aaron be the starter. Any complaint from Favre would sound like whining at that point. M3 can handle the media pressure, so they should have just let it happen.

Those are really good thoughts.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:03 PM

Being too pussyfooted about Favre showing up has been Green Bay's biggest tactical mistake.Show me where they refuse to let Favreshow. Goodell is the one keeping Favre from showing by not acting on the reinstatement papers. THe PAckers have said time and time again that Favre is welcome.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM

Absolutely, a terrible mistake on GB's part. But not too late to correct.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM

Absolutely, a terrible mistake on GB's part. But not too late to correct.Again, show me where the Packers have refused to let him show up. Favre didn't file his papers until now and now Goodell is sitting on them. He isn;t allowed into camp until Goodell does his job. So how can you say the Packers made a mistake since his current status doens't allow him in camp anyway?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Absolutely, a terrible mistake on GB's part. But not too late to correct.Again, show me where the Packers have refused to let him show up. Favre didn't file his papers until now and now Goodell is sitting on them. He isn;t allowed into camp until Goodell does his job. So how can you say the Packers made a mistake since his current status doens't allow him in camp anyway?

Maybe its a matter of perception, which is driven by the media coverage. But it sure seems like the Packers are treating a return by Favre as the sky falling down.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Maybe its a matter of perception, which is driven by the media coverage. But it sure seems like the Packers are treating a return by Favre as the sky falling down.It is a preception becuase McCarthy has repeatedly stated Favre would be welcome back. To say that they won't let Favre in is a joke as the facts clearly show that to be false.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
cpk1994, I think you are missing the point that DonHutson originally made and that others agreed with. Nobody is arguing that the Packers are officially barring Favre. It is the perception of weakness they have created by trying so hard to persuade Favre to stay away, no doubt exaggerated by the media.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
cpk1994, I think you are missing the point that DonHutson originally made and that others agreed with. Nobody is arguing that the Packers are officially barring Favre. It is the perception of weakness they have created by trying so hard to persuade Favre to stay away, no doubt exaggerated by the media.Yes but when you add the line "Why don't the Packers let him show up" you are stating that the Packers in some way re refusing to let him show up which is absolutely false. Thats the part Im addressing.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 07:21 PM

I agree. They blew it there. It would have been a media circus either way.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-173/Could-the-Vikings-rescue-Green-Bay-.html

It is almost common knowledge that Favre wants to play for the Vikings, and it's part of the reason why the Packers filed tampering charges against Minnesota earlier this month...

So what would it take to execute a trade? First, the sides would have to talk through the emotions that flared up during the summer. The Packers, according to ESPN's John Clayton and others, believe the Vikings tried to stir the pot, if nothing else, by consulting with Favre on his decision to apply for reinstatement. The Vikings, on the other hand, were livid when the Packers initiated a tampering investigation, believing it was an attempt by the Packers to draw attention away from their own missteps.

Those emotions are still bubbling on the surface. Wednesday, we asked Packers coach Mike McCarthy whether he had any competitive concerns about facing Favre on another team, in the NFC North or otherwise.

"As far as where Brett Favre goes or if he's going to go," McCarthy said, "those are all hypotheticals. I'd really like to share my opinion on that, but I'm not going to do that."

In an instigating mood, we encouraged McCarthy to offer that opinion. Alas, he shook his head.

"That's why I'm holding on to this mike," he said, glancing down at his white-knuckled grip on a television microphone stand.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes but when you add the line "Why don't the Packers let him show up" you are stating that the Packers in some way re refusing to let him show up which is absolutely false.

I see.

you misunderstood DonHutson's sentence. it was not meant to be read literally. It meant let him show-up without all the handwringing.