PDA

View Full Version : How high should Nick Collins' expectations be?

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I would not be surprised to find Nick Collins in the probowl as soon as this year. There are a few reasons I believe he will take that next step.

1. One thing I was looking to see when I was at the OTA's was how the Packers were going to use Nick Collins this season. I noticed that he basically has the same deep roaming responsibility on most plays that he played last year. In short, his job hasn't been complicated. He's going to beable to use his deceptive speed and hard hitting nature to roam large spaces. His range should allow him to get some INT's and make some big hits that most players just can not make.

2. He looked big. Not chubby big, but tight packed heavy hitting big. I didn't see them in their skibbies standing on a scale, but my impression at first glance was that Collins was the biggest safty of the group. Manuel is 6' 210 so Collins has to be pushing that at this point. At 205, he had the fluid hips and quick burst to play corner so I'm pretty sure 210 will fit nicely on him at FS.

Collins style is all impact. He doesn't do the little things as well as some but once he gets acclimated he should be good for one or two big things each game. Collins has an exciting style. He hits hard, he plays fast, he's all excitement all the time. Those are the guys who make the probowl. The TO's change the outcome of the game. He has a chance right now. I'm hoping he takes that step. He's capable.

red
06-11-2006, 05:26 PM
he has to start making int's if he's ever going to get to the pro bowl

you make the int, you get on sports center and becaome popular, then you have a shot at winning the ultimate popularity contest, the pro bowl

if he's just solid and goes out and does his job everyday and helps us win, no one outside the fans of this team will care enough about him to vote him it.

he has the tools, but even if he starts making the big plays this year, it might take a couple of years to surpise the names that guys like sharper have made

Murphy37
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I think safeties are known for more than int's. There known for hitting. Not just plain old hitting, but knocking the shit outta receivers or anyone else that gets in their way. John Lynch anyone? Didn't my main man Chuck Cecil make the pro bowl? Even if he didn't, he was one of the most popular safeties during his era. "Too Tough For The NFL" it read on the Sports Illustrated cover with his picture on it. Point is, there is room for safeties on the pro bowl squad that can do things besides intercept. I'd much rather have a solid safety who was a tough SOB that put the fear of God in the opposition, than the 2005 version of Darren Sharper who's opportunistic int's overshadowed his slow foot speed and knack to get beat deep.

Travbrew
06-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I would not be surprised to find Nick Collins in the probowl as soon as this year. There are a few reasons I believe he will take that next step.

1. One thing I was looking to see when I was at the OTA's was how the Packers were going to use Nick Collins this season. I noticed that he basically has the same deep roaming responsibility on most plays that he played last year. In short, his job hasn't been complicated. He's going to beable to use his deceptive speed and hard hitting nature to roam large spaces. His range should allow him to get some INT's and make some big hits that most players just can not make.

2. He looked big. Not chubby big, but tight packed heavy hitting big. I didn't see them in their skibbies standing on a scale, but my impression at first glance was that Collins was the biggest safty of the group. Manuel is 6' 210 so Collins has to be pushing that at this point. At 205, he had the fluid hips and quick burst to play corner so I'm pretty sure 210 will fit nicely on him at FS.

Collins style is all impact. He doesn't do the little things as well as some but once he gets acclimated he should be good for one or two big things each game. Collins has an exciting style. He hits hard, he plays fast, he's all excitement all the time. Those are the guys who make the probowl. The TO's change the outcome of the game. He has a chance right now. I'm hoping he takes that step. He's capable.

Nice Nick. Good observations and I agree with your thoughts and hope we're both right. BTW, it's skivies, not skibbies. Not sure where you got that one, but it did make me laugh.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 09:11 PM
LOL

I always thought poeople said skibbies....

Rastak
06-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I think safeties are known for more than int's. There known for hitting. Not just plain old hitting, but knocking the shit outta receivers or anyone else that gets in their way. John Lynch anyone? Didn't my main man Chuck Cecil make the pro bowl? Even if he didn't, he was one of the most popular safeties during his era. "Too Tough For The NFL" it read on the Sports Illustrated cover with his picture on it. Point is, there is room for safeties on the pro bowl squad that can do things besides intercept. I'd much rather have a solid safety who was a tough SOB that put the fear of God in the opposition, than the 2005 version of Darren Sharper who's opportunistic int's overshadowed his slow foot speed and knack to get beat deep.

I'd rather have both, one who stops drives in the red zone with picks and then runs one or two back for a 14 point swing, and one who hits hard ala Tank Williams or Willie Offord....

:razz:

Murphy37
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Ras I'm suprised it took you so long. You gotta admit that Sharper get's beat alot. Hell I can admit he's great at making int's. The question is, does he get beat for more big plays than he provides?

The Leaper
06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't think Collins is going to the Pro Bowl this year. LeRoy Butler had to earn his stripes to get a Pro Bowl bid, and it will be no different for Nick. Unless he has a monster season, he isn't even going to be on the radar for the Pro Bowl in 2006. He can make a name for himself for the future though...he's only entering his second year.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Ras I'm suprised it took you so long. You gotta admit that Sharper get's beat alot. Hell I can admit he's great at making int's. The question is, does he get beat for more big plays than he provides?

No, he won't. I brought that up earlier, and he wouldn't go for it. I think he fessed up to Sharper having about three bad coverages all year.

Bretsky
06-11-2006, 10:22 PM

When healthy Sharper is and was an All Pro Caliber Safety. He's a primadonna hotdog I often shaked me head about, but I want him on my team if I'm a GM cause he makes plays.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I'd rather have Collins :smile:

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2006, 10:48 PM
When healthy Sharper is and was an All Pro Caliber Safety. He's a primadonna hotdog I often shaked me head about, but I want him on my team if I'm a GM cause he makes plays.

I'd agree, but he's been injured a lot in the last several years (including last year). He has lost a step too. His coverage isn't what it was. However, he is a playmaker--which is something our defense lacks. He's not as good as he was in 2000-2001, but you can't expect him to be since he's on the wrong side of 30 now.

RashanGary
06-12-2006, 12:20 AM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jun06/collins0611.jpg

Does he look bigger to you guys? I don't remember him looking so tough. He's starting to look a little like Ahman Green.

OKC PackerFan
06-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Nick Collins knocking the snot out of Chad Johnson.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/dec05/nc1213.jpg

http://images.packers.com/pg/2005-10-30/s_photo25.jpg

Tarlam!
06-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I loved us picking Hawk and I am already a big fan. Thing about Hawk is, everyone knows he'll be a monster.

Collins paid my faith back last season. When everyone called his selection a reach, I was one of a few voices that applauded the pick. Probably cause I know snot about it!

Anyway, he made me look like a genius with his play last year and that's why he's my favourite on Defense. I hope he doesn't have a Sophomore Slump. I like his confidence being up, just as long as it doesn't cross the line into becoming arrogance....

OKC PackerFan
06-12-2006, 01:32 AM
I guess I don't know how to post images. :oops:

Hey, I just got both images to work. :D

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I would be happy if Collins can personally account for 5 or more turnovers in the upcoming season. He played good last year, certainly better than I expected, better than probably everyone here expected. At this time though, he is nowhere near elite safety status. He's not a guy like Polamalu that you have to scheme against, or a guy like Ed Reed that makes huge plays.

Last year Collins had 1 interception and 2 forced fumbles. Because he plays centerfield, he has an opportunity to make plays on a lot of balls. Last year he was normally in correct position but failed to make game-changing plays.

I predict that Collins will have 3 picks, 3 forced fumbles this year and will develop a reputation throughout the league as a guy to watch out for over the middle. Next year he will make his first Pro Bowl.

the_idle_threat
06-12-2006, 03:00 AM
How high should Nick Collins' expectations be?

At least as high as Donnell Washington is right now. :razz:

RashanGary
06-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Cool pic. It looks like CJ is dead.

Collins carries 205 like he was meant to roam the earth at that weight. His frame could effortlessly add another 5 lbs and tip the scale at 210.

He's not just naturally big, he's fast. He's not just fast, he's fluid. He's not just fluid, he's explosive. Physically, he was etched by the Packer gods. Dude is going to strait up light people up this season. I'm pretty pumped.

I like the 3 picks, 3 FF's this year. Maybe more. We'll see. If he does all that and knocks a few guys out of the game, he'll get some real recognition. I like this guy a whole hell of a lot. Like I said originally, they're keeping it simple for him. Just run and hit.

Rastak
06-12-2006, 05:36 AM

No, he won't. I brought that up earlier, and he wouldn't go for it. I think he fessed up to Sharper having about three bad coverages all year.

Yea, there were about three times I counted anyway. Good far outweighed the bad..at least last year. I was just kidding with you guys. I like Collins, he should be an above average safety for quite a few years.

Fritz
06-12-2006, 05:47 AM
It also looks like it's a damn good thing Collins doesn't make his living catching softballs.

Patler
06-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Collins had his hands on at least 4 or 5 fairly straight forward interceptions last year, and came up with only one. That concerns me a little. If it continues this year, it will be extremely disappointing.

In my opinion, Sharper is only an average safety in all aspects except two. He has great hands, seldom dropping a potential interception; and he has great return ability, as evidenced by all his returns for TDs. Those two related attributes make him standout. His overall coverage ability, run support, blitzing, tackling, big hit ability, etc. are nothing more than average.

RashanGary
06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Collins had his hands on at least 4 or 5 fairly straight forward interceptions last year, and came up with only one. That concerns me a little. If it continues this year, it will be extremely disappointing.

Sometimes a great shortstop will get his glove on and miss more balls than a crappy shortstop because he'll touch ones that most wouldn't beable to get near.

Hopefully that was beginners focus and him barely being able to get in position with his 4.37 speed.

That was an issue though...If he can keep his hands on those passes this year, he'll get quite a few picks. The hitting is going to be there regardless.

Murphy37
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Cool pic. It looks like CJ is dead.

Collins carries 205 like he was meant to roam the earth at that weight. His frame could effortlessly add another 5 lbs and tip the scale at 210.

He's not just naturally big, he's fast. He's not just fast, he's fluid. He's not just fluid, he's explosive. Physically, he was etched by the Packer gods. Dude is going to strait up light people up this season. I'm pretty pumped.

I like the 3 picks, 3 FF's this year. Maybe more. We'll see. If he does all that and knocks a few guys out of the game, he'll get some real recognition. I like this guy a whole hell of a lot. Like I said originally, they're keeping it simple for him. Just run and hit.

Nick, I like you. That said, I think you have a huge man-crush on Nick Collins the player. It's all right dude. I think he's cute too. Just remember to think things through before you start peeking in his windows. :razz:

BooHoo
06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I would have high expectations for Collins. He is a high draft choice and will be a second year starter. I am hoping the pass coverage this year will improve. With the additions this off season, I will be surprised if coverage isn't better.

OT: I am interested in seeing exactly what type of player "the hawkster" is. Is he really a "take over the game linebacker" or more of a "big name, over rated, little impact guy?"