PDA

View Full Version : History: Packers trades within the Black and Blue

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
With the possibility of Brett Favre being traded within the NFC North arising, I was curious to see what history the Packers have had with such trades. The Packers' web site lists all "significant trades" since 1957, so I'll go back that far. Here's the trade record with the Bears, Lions and Vikings:

BEARS
1970: Packers trade Elijah Pitts, Bob Hyland and Lee Roy Caffey for the Bears' first round pick (used to take Mike McCoy--the defensive lineman, not the defensive back, who comes later).
1972: Packers trade Zeke Bratkowski for a sixth round pick (used on RB Don Woods)
1998, and my favorite one on the board: Packers trade Glyn Milburn for the Bears' 7th round pick (used to take Donald Driver!)

LIONS
1966: Packers trade Ron Kramer for the Lions' first round pick (used on Jim Grabowski, who could have been one of the all-time great Packer RBs if he had been healthy)
1998: 7th round pick in 1999 for Glyn Milburn

Back a little earlier, the Lions furnished the Packers with their pre-Starr starter at QB by sending Tobin Rote to Green Bay for four players in 1957.

VIKINGS
1971: Packers trade a third rounder in 1972 for Zeke Bratkowski (who along with Glyn Milburn was involved in intradivision trades twice).
1984: Packers trade a 7th round draft pick for Jan Stenerud.

I also looked to see if they ever made a trade with Tampa Bay when they were in the same division, but apparently they've never had any trades with TB.

Some observations:
1. In the period from 1957 through 1966 (the last year before the creation of divisions), the Packers seem to have had a clear preference for not trading within the Western Conference (mainly trading with the Browns and Giants for guys like Henry Jordan, Willie Davis and Don Chandler). They did get Carroll Dale and Fuzzy Thurston from within the Western. The Bears, Lions and Vikings were all in the Western with GB, along with the Rams, Colts and 49ers.

2. The Black and Blue Division (then the Central, now the North) debuted in 1967, when the NFL created its 4 Cs format (Central and Coastal Divisions in the West, Capitol and Century in the East), putting the Packers with Detroit, Minnesota and Chicago (who have remained together ever since). It seems to me that since then the Packers have traded with their division rivals at a rate not much different from other teams.

3. High draft picks have been involved in a number of these trades.

So, it's been a few years since the last intradivision trade, but it's not something that hasn't been done before.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Good info. Thanks for posting.

Freak Out
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I wonder how fast Lovie would dump the sex cannon for Favre? :lol:

As much as I want to see #4 play this year I don't think I could stomach that...

Fritz
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
i don't know Favre would go to the Bears. Different offensive system, isn't it?