PDA

View Full Version : In case you think you are having a bad day......

HowardRoark
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Knife-wielding man beheads fellow passenger on bus

Jul 31 12:44 PM US/Eastern

A passenger traveling on a bus across Canada's vast Western plains stabbed, gutted and decapitated a man seated next to him in an unexplained attack, a witness told media Thursday.
The victim had been sleeping before he was repeatedly stabbed in the chest by a man with a large knife, witness Garnet Caton told public broadcaster CBC.

The other 35 passengers and driver were jolted by "blood-curdling screams" and fled. "He must have stabbed him 50 times or 60 times," said Caton.

When Caton and two others returned to check on the victim, he said they saw the attacker "cutting the guy's head off and gutting him."

"While we were watching ... he calmly walked up to the front (of the bus) with the head in his hand and the knife and just calmly stared at us and dropped the head right in front of us."

Police then surrounded the bus and arrested the man, he said.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they were investigating a "major incident" that occurred at 9 pm Wednesday (0200 GMT Thursday) on a Greyhound bus traveling eastbound from Edmonton to Winnipeg, but offered no details.

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I'll never get on another Greyhound bus again. :shock:

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

You mean somebody of your sophistication has actually been on a Greyhound bus? :shock:

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM

You mean somebody of your sophistication has actually been on a Greyhound bus? :shock:

You little sh*t.........yes, and I take the train now and then too. :roll:
My car is 8 years old and my husband drives a pickup truck.......

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Capital punishment for snoring in Canada?

Freak Out
07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Capital punishment for snoring in Canada?

...and we thought Texas was a dark ages kinda place.

MadtownPacker
07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
This is why I can't fall asleep around someone I dont know. Crazy shit.

BallHawk
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Update on the story....Per CNN.

A 40-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder Friday in connection with the stabbing and beheading death of his seatmate on a Greyhound Canada bus, authorities said.

Vince Weiguang Li of Edmonton, Alberta, was to appear Friday morning in the Provincial Court of Manitoba in Portage la Prairie, according to a statement posted on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Web site.

The body of the 22-year-old male victim is to be autopsied Friday, police said. The victim's name was not released.

However, the Canadian Press named the dead man as Tim McLean, 22, of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

McLean was repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated by the man sitting next to him on a Greyhound Canada bus Thursday west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of McLean, talked of a "bloodcurdling scream" when the attack began.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while." Video Watch Caton describe what he saw »

Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.

The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said. Video Watch Colwell discuss the case »

Several media outlets named McLean and said he had been returning home after working on a booth at an Alberta fair.

William Caron, 23, of Winnipeg, told Canadian Press he had known McLean since they went to school together.

"I knew he was coming back from the [exhibition]. ... My brother was supposed to go meet him at the bus depot and he never showed up. And then my younger brother and my other brother went to go to his parents' place to see if they know anything, and they saw a bunch of news people there. And then they asked at his parents' and that's how we found out," Caron said.

By early Friday there were scores of condolence messages on Facebook groups set up to remember McLean.

Caron and his wife, Jodi, were among the first to leave notes.

"We love you so much," wrote Jodi. "The kids will miss you so much and so will William and I. You were a great person, always happy and loved and had an amazing personality."

"I can't believe this is happening," wrote Leah Dryburgh of Winnipeg. "Tim, you were the best guy ever. You didn't deserve this at all."

Witnesses on the bus said McLean had been sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened.

Colwell said there was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton to Winnipeg, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.
advertisement

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."

GBRulz
08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Do you not have to go through a security checkpoint type of thing for riding buses? Or are people free to walk on board with butcher knives?

packinpatland
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
There isn't even any security check on the Amtrack trains........at least not the ones that run between CT and NYC.

bobblehead
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Yet another case where a good gun carrying citizen would have been a good thing.

falco
08-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Yet another case where a good gun carrying citizen would have been a good thing.

absolutely - this psycho could have learned a lot from the shooter in Niagara - you can multiple your kill numbers with a firearm

Scott Campbell
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyone else read this and picture Woody explaining to police interrogators "but he looked exactly like a young Ted Thompson!"

oregonpackfan
08-04-2008, 10:42 AM
There isn't even any security check on the Amtrack trains........at least not the ones that run between CT and NYC.

That is true out here in the Pacific Northwest, PIP. When my daughter gets on the Amtrak from Portland to Tacoma, WA there is no security check whatsoever.
Has everyone forgotten the train bombing in Madrid, Spain?

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM

absolutely - this psycho could have learned a lot from the shooter in Niagara - you can multiple your kill numbers with a firearm

I said a good citizen, he is a loon.

Wait...a shooter in niagra?? I thought that canada never had any firearm deaths....the anti gun group said so.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 04:55 PM

I said a good citizen, he is a loon.

Wait...a shooter in niagra?? I thought that canada never had any firearm deaths....the anti gun group said so.

Your jokes mite be more effective (actually i doubt it) if you followed the news and knew that the niagara referred to was in wisco...otherwise you just come across as whiny and petulant.