PDA

View Full Version : Compromise that Goodell could encourage

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
1 Favre gets his immediate release
2 In return he agrees not to negotiate with NFC-North teams

I know this may not be a legal contract, for the sake of discussion, ignore whether it is possible. I am very interested in what Favre supporters think about such a deal.

It is more than generous with Favre, he has 28 teams to negotiate with who need offer no compensation to acquire Favre. He would have a great deal of interest, several options to choose from.

The Packers in turn get rid of a cancer; protect their core competive interests.

Tarlam!
07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I say TT should not just release a commodity as valuable as Brett Favre. The merchandising value that #4 possesses is sick.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
I say TT should not just release a commodity as valuable as Brett Favre. The merchandising value that #4 possesses is sick.

yes, but this is not a clean release, the Packers are getting some real value in return. They accomplish their key goals in miserable problem they've been saddled with.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM

I know this may not be a legal contract, for the sake of discussion, ignore whether it is possible. I am very interested in what Favre supporters think about such a deal.

It is more than generous with Favre, he has 28 teams to negotiate with who need offer no compensation to acquire Favre. He would have a great deal of interest, several options to choose from.

The Packers in turn get rid of a cancer; protect their core competive interests.

No, get something in return or keep him on your team as an asset. Besides, Favre could probably do the same thing with the Pack right now if he just cooperated with trade efforts.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
No, get something in return or keep him on your team as an asset. Besides, Favre could probably do the same thing with the Pack right now if he just cooperated with trade efforts.

you are ingoring the unpleasant reality that Favre has demonstrated that he is in a position to block any and all trades. That is a card he holds that you have to deal with.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 12:40 PM
you are ingoring the unpleasant reality that Favre has demonstrated that he is in a position to block any and all trades. That is a card he holds that you have to deal with.

I'm not ignoring it at all. I was trying to say that Favre could choose to cooperate and gain the same results as your hypothetical through a trade. Unless he is determined to go to an NFC North team, in which case he wouldn't agree to your hypothetical, and we are right back where we started.

Bossman641
07-31-2008, 12:42 PM

I know Favre can block trades, but if he really wants to go to Minn how is this any different? Didn't the Packers contact every team in the league (save for those set at QB and the North teams) and already talk trade with them? Would the difference be that teams would be able to negotiate a contract with Favre and not be stuck with his current salary?

I just don't see how they could enforce it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM

I'm not ignoring it at all. I was trying to say that Favre could choose to cooperate and gain the same results as your hypothetical through a trade. Unless he is determined to go to an NFC North team, in which case he wouldn't agree to your hypothetical, and we are right back where we started.

ya, you're right in theory. but Favre is not cooperating, he's fighting. And a lot more teams will be interested in him when they don't have to deal draft picks as compensation, that improves Favre's market a lot.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
ya, you're right in theory. but Favre is not cooperating, he's fighting. And a lot more teams will be interested in him when they don't have to deal draft picks as compensation, that improves Favre's market a lot.

While true, I say too bad, so sad for Favre. He needs to honor his contract and work with the Packers to come to a solution that is best for both parties. IMO, the Packers have met him halfway in agreeing to entertain trades, there is no need to cave in completely.

So my answer to your original question remains the same, not a chance I would do that deal as the Packers (as Favre I would jump all over it).

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
So my answer to your original question remains the same, not a chance I would do that deal as the Packers (as Favre I would jump all over it).

OK, fair enough, but are you open to a little side wager? I bet you that their won't be any Favre supporters with any enthusiasm for this proposal.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 06:11 PM

The Packers in turn get rid of a cancer; protect their core competive interests.Since Favre won't agree to point 2, its moot.