PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga, chompin' at the bit to get back to action.

woodbuck27
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Poppinga still recovering from knee injury

By GARY D'AMATO
gdamato@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 10, 2006

Green Bay - It's a good thing the Green Bay Packers' trainers are present during the team's voluntary practices, because, otherwise, Brady Poppinga might succumb to temptation, grab his helmet and sprint onto the field.

Not quite six months removed from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the second-year linebacker swears he's ready to go full speed.

Not at the start of the regular season.

Not at the start of training camp.

Now. Today.

"I pretty much can do it all," he said. "There have been no setbacks. There's no soreness. It's amazing, actually. Every day it feels stronger and stronger. It's very close to being like it never happened."

With a surgically repaired ACL, rehabilitation is a nine- to 12-month proposition. Unless, of course, you happen to be a hyperactive, motor-always-going Type A personality who plays linebacker in the National Football League and who once said of soccer: "I just don't like to run without hitting people."

Then the rehab period is about, oh, two days.

Poppinga is a fast healer, but he knows his knee is not yet as stable as it feels and that the Packers are wise to protect him from himself (not to mention their investment in the 2005 fourth-round draft pick out of Brigham Young).

For now, he is limited to running in a controlled environment, because even in no-contact drills, there is the danger of tripping over a fallen teammate or inadvertently colliding with an offensive lineman.

So as the Packers practice under new head coach Mike McCarthy and defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, Poppinga paces the sideline like a caged animal.

"It sucks," he said, eyes smoldering with intensity. "I mean, it's terrible. It's not fun. To me, it's 10 times harder sitting there and watching and not being able to be out there getting the reps I want and need.

"It would be really hard for me right now if there was no one there to hold me back. I might go out there. I probably would go out there."

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound Poppinga had emerged as one of the Packers' top special-teams players and was making his first start at linebacker Dec. 11 when he suffered the ACL tear while covering a kick in the fourth quarter against the Detroit Lions.

Despite missing the final three games, he finished second on the team with 22 special-teams tackles, just five off the franchise record of 27 set by Guy Prather in 1981.

At linebacker, Poppinga made 10 tackles and had two sacks, mostly as a situational player. For example, on Oct. 23, he played just two snaps against Minnesota as a stand-up pass rusher in the 3-2 nickel package - but on one of those plays he sacked Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper for a 14-yard loss.

"He was very productive on special teams and was starting to show some of that (at linebacker)," Sanders said. "Then he had the unfortunate injury."

It's not the first time the 26-year-old Poppinga has faced adversity. A devout Mormon, he spent two years in Uruguay on a mission in 1999 and 2000 and learned some hard lessons.

"It really tests your belief system," he said. "Are you going to fight through it and be tough, or are you going to let it get to you and be discouraged? Are you going to give up?

"There's a rejection factor. Not everybody wants to hear a message. Not everybody cares. People treat you badly. People slam doors in your face, tell you off, laugh at you. It teaches you to be persistent, diligent and undaunted. Those are qualities you need in football. It transfers over beautifully."

Though Poppinga hasn't been able to get back on the field, he has observed practice and likes what he sees in the young defense.

"Collectively, the defense is a lot better than it was a year ago," he said. "I like the energy. I don't know if it's because of comfort level or maybe, finally guys are feeding off of each other. I don't know what it is, but it's fun to watch. It's like a work of art. It's beautiful."

Green Bay's linebackers are in a state of transition. Veterans Na'il Diggs and Paris Lenon are gone. Fourth-year pro Nick Barnett is the most experienced returning player, and five rookies are in the mix for spots on the roster.

Poppinga said it doesn't matter to him whether he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, he doesn't envision his role changing much.

"I feel I bring a certain intensity and energy to the team, and I'm going to make plays," he said. "That's basically who I am."

From the June 11, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Have an opinion on this story? Write a letter to the editor or start an online forum.

Who's not pulling for this fellla ? That is 'that Packer attitude' I want to see develop on our team.

Partial
06-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Great article.

I love Poppinga's intensity and I think he's going to be a good player. To me, he fits the bill of a football player. He's probably not the most athletic or elusive, but he seems to be a guy that truly loves the game. I hope he comes back bigger and stronger then ever!!

BlueBrewer
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Having him on the sidelines is a nice problem to have, he will be challenging guys all year, making the team better. Great football guy.

wist43
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
My starting LB's, if healthy, would be Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga.

Poppinga is fast and tough... and, while the Packers haven't been lacking for speed on the defensive side of the ball, they have been lacking toughness and football instincts. Poppinga brings both of those attributes to the table.

Hopefully he can get healthy, stay healthy, and win the SLB spot.

Murphy37
06-11-2006, 08:26 PM

Poppinga is fast and tough... and, while the Packers haven't been lacking for speed on the defensive side of the ball, they have been lacking toughness and football instincts. Poppinga brings both of those attributes to the table.

Wist, did Barnett steal your bike or something? Yeah I know, he has his critics. Hopefully they experiment with moving Barnett to the outside at some point, and move the bigger Hawk to the middle. That probably won't happen until next year when Hawk's feet are a little wet. Let Hodge adjust to the pro game for a year or so,and let's see how he does before we put him on the starter wish list. Poppinga on the other hand has my vote as well. He seemed to be well on his way last year up to the injury.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh god, this is like a wet dream for Wist...

Murphy37
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM

Well then like me, he'll get all embarrassed and hide his underpants from his wife.

Bretsky
06-11-2006, 10:20 PM

Wist,

I thought in the past you thought Pop did not resemble starter material. Has your view changed or am I mistaken with this ?

I'm not a Poppinga fan yet; feel he has a motor and can be a special teams ace. I just don't see him as a starter. I hope I'm wrong.

Hawk Hodge Barnett ...............hopefully we start and build with them.

wist43
06-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Everybody knows I hate Barnett... so I'll spare you my rant.

As for Poppinga, I've always liked him. The Packers have, for the past 6-7 years, been enamored with speed guys who play the game like they don't want to get their skirts dirty.

To me, the Poppinga pick in the 4th round last year gave me an indication that perhaps TT would make an effort to toughen the team up - and, after seeing the 2006 draft, I'm happy to see that that is, in fact, the case.

Poppinga is big, fast, and tough... he also possesses something virtually no other Packer defender has - pass rush ability.

Without Poppinga, blitzing is a waste of time, and a waste of a defender in coverage in a vain attempt to pressure the QB - which we all know isn't going to happen with just the front four.

Generally, I like the improvements to the back seven; but, let's face it, the Packers can't rush the passer, and with the exception of Poppinga they don't have a single LB that can effectively blitz.

Patler
06-12-2006, 05:37 AM

Perhaps we should wait with that until Poppinga actually learns how to play linebacker. You know, little subtle things like recognizing pass coverage responsibilities soon enough to actually cover someone before the pass is thrown, minor details like that. :mrgreen:

Fritz
06-12-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't know how it will sort itself out and don't know which three I like best, but on the whole this seems as if it could be a whole lot stronger group than those of the past few years. I will say this: Abdul Hodge seems like the kind of guy that, two years down the road, everybody will be wondering how he lasted into the third round.

KYPack
06-12-2006, 08:11 AM
If you like football, you like Popp. Like the rest of LB core, he's inexperienced. However, the overall talent has been vastly upgraded at that position.

Now we will just have to suffer thru our young studs growing pains at some incredibly complex positions.

Popp is a playmaker. He really effective in a two point stance as a stand-up DE. I live the fact that he'll be back in time for camp. That's way sooner than I expected.

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 08:30 AM

Ahhhh . . .now. . . some will take a moment, to re-call that first magic moment, in all of it's vivid detail. That is one dream that a man never forgets or does he? That, is not a retorical question.

To cover all the bases here the setting for mine was within a couple of hundred yards from my football field. At the time I was a Packer Fan.With all respect, that is all I'll give out about that very special moment.

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 08:43 AM

Whomever they decide fits the Will,Middle and Sam, I feel we now have a more solid cast at LBer than we saw last season. If I was to guess today 'in fact' it appears based on the early reporting, those penciled in are:

Will = AJ Hawk ( I love him on video , but let's wait till he at least gets to the OTA's and is signed).

Middle = Nick Barnett ( sorry all you N.Barnett detractors - now there is a polite word).

Sam = Ben Taylor ( he had a nice season last year in Cleveland in a 3-4 Defence).

Popp is coming off a serious injury and shouldn't be expected to start. Abdul Hodge should stick of course, and one or two of the rest gives us the back-up (depth) we need here.

At present, we are so much better at LBer than last season.

Badgepack
06-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I know you cannot just change a defensive cordinators scheme, but with all the linebackers, they could at least play around with a 3-4. Or, are any of the linebackers big enough to try out at end? Maybe we have another Kieth McKensie(was that his name?).

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I think you've got it right Woodbuck

Will = AJ Hawk
Mike = Nick Barnett
Sam = Ben Taylor

Taylor has been having a nice offseason so far, covering TE's effectively. I just don't see any way they could start Hodge, 2 rookies would not be a good thing. I'm excited to see how Barnett does, first time in his career he'll have played the same scheme 2 years in a row.

Poppinga is a decent player but he still needs to learn how to effectively play the LB position. He'll be a situational player like he was last year. Sanders will design some plays that get him on the field as a pass rusher.