07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778460

Fan support for Favre grows
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: July 31, 2008

packers11
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the fans that were on the fence just hopped on Favre side after hearing about the potential 'payment'...

I wonder if I can get some agreement... 20 Million for the next 20 years to never question management again :wink:

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm nearly 100% on Favre's side.

How do you pay a guy off?

How do you shun a fricken legend?

How do you even consider giving a HOF QB to one of your biggest rivals in an area that may give them a legit shot at their first Superbowl???

How do you give so much confidence to a backup QB with 59 snaps over a guy with a decade and a half of experience?

Why not bring Brett back and let him know that ARod will get some time (maybe significant towards the end of year or cold games)?

Extremely embarrassed to be a Packer fan at this point....

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I seriously doubt there were that many people on the fence at this point. Just look at our board. Pretty divided and people have chosen sides already.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13631

PackerBlues
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

How do you even consider giving a HOF QB to one of your biggest rivals in an area that may give them a legit shot at their first Superbowl???

How do you give so much confidence to a backup QB with 59 snaps over a guy with a decade and a half of experience?

Why not bring Brett back and let him know that ARod will get some time (maybe significant towards the end of year or cold games)?

Join the club. :glug: :x

packers11
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM

Were is the sign-up sheet? :whist:

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
[quote=Fosco33]I'm nearly 100% on Favre's side.

I am embarrassed to be a Favre fan. His personal attacks, whining about GM moves, reporting on personal conversations for his own benefit and inablity to go about his comeback the proper way (work behind the scenes first and only use the media as a last resort) have all made second guess all the times I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM

join the Bears forum

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Would his support deteriorate if this turns out to be true? I still think people have made up their minds even before the latest twist.

I don't know if it was stated yet, but I just saw on NFL Network that this "$20 Million Dollar Deal" was offered to Brett the day he retired. Let me repeat that for all the people who don't catch on, it was offered to him the day he retired. It was an incentives package thanking him for his time, and to pay him for future "works", ie, appearences, he would make for the Green Bay Packers. While down in Mississippi, Mark Murphy simply reminded him of that offer, and that it still stood. Both times, in March, and now, they were refused. In March, as reported, Favre refused it because he told Ted Thompson, "If I leave, I really dont' want to be reminded of what I walked away from."

And there you go...take it as you want it.

This makes more sense. If it's true, then the Favre camp should once again be embarrassed about leaking information meant to embarrass the orgainzation. If it's not true, it's a stupid idea by the Packers organization (likely, the executive committee).

Pacopete4
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
[quote=Fosco33]I'm nearly 100% on Favre's side.

I am embarrassed to be a Favre fan. His personal attacks, whining about GM moves, reporting on personal conversations for his own benefit and inablity to go about his comeback the proper way (work behind the scenes first and only use the media as a last resort) have all made second guess all the times I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Sharpe.. doesn't it sound like he did try to go behind the scenes and they basically kept ignoring him and not taking him serious... then when it came time to it.. he went to the big guns and now our management, HOF QB, organization looks like a joke because TT's heads up his ass

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Embarassed to be a fan? Give me a break. You aren't related to ted or MM, what is there to be embarassed about? It's a football team, not your wife. :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
are you embarassed by your wife, ballhawk? you're kind of a young fellar, was this a shotgun wedding?

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Sharpe.. doesn't it sound like he did try to go behind the scenes and they basically kept ignoring him and not taking him serious... then when it came time to it.. he went to the big guns and now our management, HOF QB, organization looks like a joke because TT's heads up his ass

No. It sounded like he told them once he was interested in coming back and they were ready to go out of their way to accommodate him. He promptly reversed his decision. Later he may have made a few suggestive comments about maybe being interested, but wouldn't commit. His family and agent started badmouthing the Packers...then he has a single phone call where he finally says he's sure (for what that is worth given his history) and when he's told he's guaranteed to start he immediately and publicly asks for his release. Then he goes on talk show and there continue to be statements made in private conversations with Favre thrown the the media (Campen, TT and Murphy).

All in all, it looks like Favre was looking for a fight from day 1 and is still trying to win the media battle rather than worrying about football. If you want badly enough to support him, he's giving out crumbs of half-truths for you to latch onto. I am not buying what he's selling.

LL2
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
I wonder where these fans are? I'm a little more on the management's side, but the $20 million payoff shocked me. Most people I talk to are against Favre, including my family members that have been life long die hard Packer fans. As my uncle, who lives in Kenosha, states...."The team comes first."

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I wonder where these fans are? I'm a little more on the management's side, but the $20 million payoff shocked me. Most people I talk to are against Favre, including my family members that have been life long die hard Packer fans. As my uncle, who lives in Kenosha, states...."The team comes first."

Story coming out is that this $20M offer was made to Favre back in March.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Word on the street was that the $20 million was offered when he retired and that it was simply brought up that it was still an option. We'll see if that's substantiated though.

LL2
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM

If the $20 Million was offered back in March, then the fans and media shouldn't be making TT & Co. look bad. It's nothing new then. We (the fans) just didn't hear about it until now.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Why would the Packers offer Favre $20M in March? He said he didn't want anything to do with football for awhile...so the team offered him $20M to work for the team?

Just what was he going to do for the team for that salary that he wouldn't have done for free if he was on good terms with the team?

Besides, if it has been on the table since March...and Favre hasn't taken the offer...why did Murphy think Favre was suddenly going to jump at it yesterday?

Sounds like spin to me.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM

If the $20 Million was offered back in March, then the fans and media shouldn't be making TT & Co. look bad. It's nothing new then. We (the fans) just didn't hear about it until now.

Yeah, I agree with ya. But you know that for most people, media reports are only true when they fit thier belief or agenda. So for the anti-TT crowd, the $20 million buyout is absolutely true - but the fact that it was offered in March is just media generated bullshit. I don't know what to believe anymore. All I know is that Favre coming to camp is going to probably be too much a distraction for the veterans to handle in TC, much less a young QB like Aaron Rodgers. I wish he wouldn't come.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Why would the Packers offer Favre $20M in March?

It's not unprecedented. I believe the Broncos did this with Elway. Give him some money to make appearances for the team and things of that nature. The Twins did something similar with Kirby Puckett.

boiga
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Why would the Packers offer Favre $20M in March? He said he didn't want anything to do with football for awhile...so the team offered him $20M to work for the team?

Just what was he going to do for the team for that salary that he wouldn't have done for free if he was on good terms with the team?

Besides, if it has been on the table since March...and Favre hasn't taken the offer...why did Murphy think Favre was suddenly going to jump at it yesterday?

Sounds like spin to me. Come to games, come to press events, play in charities, etc.

Like everyone keeps saying, Favre is a big draw, so it might be worthwhile to keep milking that cash cow. Two million dollars a year to act as a spokesperson for the team isn't outrageous for a celebrity of Favre's level. Remington probably paid him more for 2 hours worth of work.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
If it's true, it sure would show the Packers organization's appreciation for Brett's time in Green Bay.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Like everyone keeps saying, Favre is a big draw, so it might be worthwhile to keep milking that cash cow. Two million dollars a year to act as a spokesperson for the team isn't outrageous for a celebrity of Favre's level. Remington probably paid him more for 2 hours worth of work.

Well, it is unlikely Favre is going to want to be some kind of spectacle on display at the Packers beck and call.

Like someone else said...this offer contains some aspect of "realness", but the bottom line is that it was created primarily as a bribe to keep Favre off the football field.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm tired of hearing from Favre's sources.

According to a source close to Favre, the Packers have told him they might limit him to individual drills if he shows up at training camp.

boiga
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, it is unlikely Favre is going to want to be some kind of spectacle on display at the Packers beck and call.

Like someone else said...this offer contains some aspect of "realness", but the bottom line is that it was created primarily as a bribe to keep Favre off the football field.But you can certainly imagine why the Packer board of directors would want him at their beck and call. I agree it might have just been a scheme to put him into a contract that would negate any chance of a return. But if was truthfully offered in March, then there's nothing particularly sinister or dirty in the offer.

Back then we still thought Favre would be a Packer for life.

woodbuck27
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM

You do it if your more stupid than really stupid. :D

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
But if was truthfully offered in March, then there's nothing particularly sinister or dirty in the offer.

Perhaps...but again, if it has been on the table that long and Favre hasn't accepted it, why fly down to MS yesterday and try to get Favre to take the offer yet again?

In other words, the $20M offer yesterday was probably different in scope than any offer crafted in March. Favre and the Packers are not on good terms right now...so why the hell would they ask him to be paid as a club representative? It may have been the same amount, same time period, etc, etc...but in reality it was a buyout to keep Favre from going to camp.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
But if was truthfully offered in March, then there's nothing particularly sinister or dirty in the offer.

Perhaps...but again, if it has been on the table that long and Favre hasn't accepted it, why fly down to MS yesterday and try to get Favre to take the offer yet again?

In other words, the $20M offer yesterday was probably different in scope than any offer crafted in March. Favre and the Packers are not on good terms right now...so why the hell would they ask him to be paid as a club representative? It may have been the same amount, same time period, etc, etc...but in reality it was a buyout to keep Favre from going to camp.

Considering how credible Favre's sources have been, I wonder how much of the meeting was even devoted to it. Perhaps the Packers said that the offer is off the table if a resolution that's agreeable for the team isn't met.

woodbuck27
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
I seriously doubt there were that many people on the fence at this point. Just look at our board. Pretty divided and people have chosen sides already.

Most fans don't try to live on a board where the insults and rudeness can get severe at times . They just pick according to how they feel about Favre overall. They arn't into all the extreme analysis that has gone on here. It's just too obvious that Favre is getting a real screwing and there will be a price. Count on it TT fans.

Any man or woman (rare) that would stand down on Brett Favre ( feel for Ted Thompson) has to give his head a serious shake, especially given the way TT has operated since he arrived.

Ted Thompson. Ohhh yes. Every move perfect and Ohhhh YES! He's the Executive of the year. Then his team went 13-3. Shoot! That didn't have a thing to do with Brett Favre did it?

TT tossed those TD's and passed for over 4000 yards. Well I'm assuming that's not even important to TT as he shakes and still dismiss's Favre. It's just the stupidest thing I've ever seen in PRO Sports in half a century. TT hasn't a thing to do with it. As he doesn't have a darn clue. Any man that did wouldn't allow himself to be a party to this abomination.
For what 'the Damn money'.

Ala Judas. Hello Ted Thompson!! Now here come the juvenile, '' So You think Favre is Jesus '' shots. From all the juveniles.

Shame on TT and all that support him. By the way. Teddy's not the most gifted puppy in the litter. :D

boiga
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Perhaps...but again, if it has been on the table that long and Favre hasn't accepted it, why fly down to MS yesterday and try to get Favre to take the offer yet again? Odds are good that this had little to do with why Murphy was down there. You don't spend 9 hours talking to an agent about an offer the player doesn't want.

More likely they were working out a way to get Favre to accept a trade to a non-Viking team. Murphy likely let Favre know that the old offer was still open if he was willing, though. Favre scoffed and now we are where we are.

woodbuck27
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Perhaps...but again, if it has been on the table that long and Favre hasn't accepted it, why fly down to MS yesterday and try to get Favre to take the offer yet again? Odds are good that this had little to do with why Murphy was down there. You don't spend 9 hours talking to an agent about an offer the player doesn't want.

More likely they were working out a way to get Favre to accept a trade to a non-Viking team. Murphy likely let Favre know that the old offer was still open if he was willing, though. Favre scoffed and now we are where we are.

Just simply release Favre NOW!!

th87
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Reminder: Favre wants to play for the VIKINGS!!

That's a cardinal sin in my book.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Never. Favre is not allowed to play for the Vikings. Woody, Favre cannot play for the Vikings. Favre will never ever play for the Vikings as long as Green Bay has a say in it. The Vikings are an archrival of ours, and would be made better by Favre being under center. We cannot make an archrival better, regardless of the situation. So I don't think I could be any more clear on this issue than I am right now. Favre CANNOT go to the Vikings because that would be harmful to Green Bay's chances at a division title. Just because we don't want Favre as our starting QB anymore doesn't mean we don't want to win the NFC North.

It's not about Favre being incapable of getting it done anymore - I don't believe for a second that he couldn't get the job done - it's about MOVING ON. That's it. Moving on and STILL winning a division title. Moving on means Rodgers is our starter, giving ourselves the best chance at a division title means getting Brett OUT of the division. Now, if all Favre wanted to do was play football this year he'd have no problem with that. But that's not all he wants now is it???

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
To people not somewhat embarrassed about this situation... do most of you live in WI?

I say team first, absolutely. But they've had a part in making the situation where it is today - which is embarrassing.

Me, I live in Los Angeles - where everything WI gets a bad rap. And I work all over the country - with people from every major city working side-side everyday. Trust me - being a fan that gets a ton of these questions (on a daily basis lately) - gets old really fast.

How about this?

Would you rather see Favre as a Viking or a Packer? It seems that's the only options we're hearing about (either thru trade or release).

For Packer (and Favre) fans, I can't see how watching him start for the other team at Lambeau in Wk 1 doesn't make your stomach turn inside out....

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Would you rather see Favre as a Viking or a Packer? It seems that's the only options we're hearing about (either thru trade or release).

For Packer (and Favre) fans, I can't see how watching him start for the other team at Lambeau in Wk 1 doesn't make your stomach turn inside out....

Even when this saga started I couldn't imagine seeing Favre in another uniform.

But, now, after all the things that have been said, I want Favre in another uniform. I don't want him in green and gold. Not after what he's done.

cpk1994
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM

Never. Favre is not allowed to play for the Vikings. Woody, Favre cannot play for the Vikings. Favre will never ever play for the Vikings as long as Green Bay has a say in it. The Vikings are an archrival of ours, and would be made better by Favre being under center. We cannot make an archrival better, regardless of the situation. So I don't think I could be any more clear on this issue than I am right now. Favre CANNOT go to the Vikings because that would be harmful to Green Bay's chances at a division title. Just because we don't want Favre as our starting QB anymore doesn't mean we don't want to win the NFC North.

It's not about Favre being incapable of getting it done anymore - I don't believe for a second that he couldn't get the job done - it's about MOVING ON. That's it. Moving on and STILL winning a division title. Moving on means Rodgers is our starter, giving ourselves the best chance at a division title means getting Brett OUT of the division. Now, if all Favre wanted to do was play football this year he'd have no problem with that. But that's not all he wants now is it???Don't try to debate Woody. Debating the mentally unstable gets you nowhere.

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Most fans don't try to live on a board where the insults and rudeness can get severe at times . They just pick according to how they feel about Favre overall. They arn't into all the extreme analysis that has gone on here. It's just too obvious that Favre is getting a real screwing and there will be a price. Count on it TT fans.

Any man or woman (rare) that would stand down on Brett Favre ( feel for Ted Thompson) has to give his head a serious shake, especially given the way TT has operated since he arrived.

Ted Thompson. Ohhh yes. Every move perfect and Ohhhh YES! He's the Executive of the year. Then his team went 13-3. Shoot! That didn't have a thing to do with Brett Favre did it?

TT tossed those TD's and passed for over 4000 yards. Well I'm assuming that's not even important to TT as he shakes and still dismiss's Favre. It's just the stupidest thing I've ever seen in PRO Sports in half a century. TT hasn't a thing to do with it. As he doesn't have a darn clue. Any man that did wouldn't allow himself to be a party to this abomination.
For what 'the Damn money'.

Ala Judas. Hello Ted Thompson!! Now here come the juvenile, '' So You think Favre is Jesus '' shots. From all the juveniles.

Shame on TT and all that support him. By the way. Teddy's not the most gifted puppy in the litter. :D

a mere 30 pieces of silver.....SIGH

gex
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
tt/mm would effectivly do what no other human,mortal or scheme could ever do...........end the starting game streak.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
tt/mm/favre would effectivly do what no other human,mortal or scheme could ever do...........end the starting game streak.

Fixed. He didn't have to retire, unretire, and then retire again.

Packers4Ever
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM

join the Bears forum

Highly embarrassing to Packer fans, I agree, but cruise around and
visit some of the other Forums, Cowboys, Lions, Minny, etc...you'll feel a whole lot more embarrassed. We'll all be relieved when this is over and we can go back to normal. (if normal still looks ok)