PDA

View Full Version : the $20M story

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3512348

WTMJ television in Milwaukee reported that the team offered Favre in the neighborhood of $20 million over several years to stay retired. The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported on its Web site that the team offered Favre "a substantial salary" to stay away. Both reports cited sources close to Favre.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
This report comes from the Favre camp, it was a malicious leak. IT may or may not be true, but this is just one more unscrupulous act by Favre and Bus Cook.

I think the speculation that it was a re-offer is credible, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
I think the speculation that it was a re-offer is credible, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Huh?

The Packers and Favre supposedly had a good relationship in March...an employment offer may have made sense.

An employment offer now makes no sense Harlan. The team and Favre are not happy with each other. Any $20M offer made yesterday was clearly a bribe made to prevent Favre from coming to camp.

What I suspect (simply opinion here) is that the Packers probably did offer something to Favre way back when...it may or may not have had a $$$ amount tied to it, but I'm guessing it wasn't anywhere near $20M in the minds of the Packer brass.

Yesterday, the offer may have been made again. However, how can you justify the viewpoint that the Packers wanted to do marketing around Favre after the fiasco we've seen in the last month? Nothing like that was going to happen...at least not for quite awhile.

As I see it, a bribe was offered yesterday...even if the Packers can spin it to be something similar to what they've had on the table for several months.

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Murphy also doesn't have to fly down there to make an offer that has been on the table for 4 months.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
If the report is true, the offer was made in March. Back when the relationship wasn't so splintered. Yesterday, I'm guessing that the offer might have been taken off the table. That makes more sense to me. Kind of a take it or leave it. To me, I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. Favre's playing hardball by trying to dictate the Packers release him (instead of the Packers getting something for him). I'd play hardball right back at him.

digitaldean
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3512348

WTMJ television in Milwaukee reported that the team offered Favre in the neighborhood of $20 million over several years to stay retired. The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported on its Web site that the team offered Favre "a substantial salary" to stay away. Both reports cited sources close to Favre.

Yes, that is indeed very fishy......

This could go the way of TT begging Favre not to come up or he "might get fired".

The Leaper
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM
The offer was made in March. Yesterday, I'm guessing that the offer might have been taken off the table. That makes more sense to me. Kind of a take it or leave it. To me, I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. Favre's playing hardball by trying to dictate the Packers release him (instead of the Packers getting something for him). I'd play hardball right back at him.

I could see that...although IMO it makes the organization look even more desperate. Clearly Favre wasn't going to take the buyout...so why make the big scene of "take it or leave it"?

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM

Huh?

The Packers and Favre supposedly had a good relationship in March...an employment offer may have made sense.

An employment offer now makes no sense Harlan. The team and Favre are not happy with each other. Any $20M offer made yesterday was clearly a bribe made to prevent Favre from coming to camp.

What I suspect (simply opinion here) is that the Packers probably did offer something to Favre way back when...it may or may not have had a $$$ amount tied to it, but I'm guessing it wasn't anywhere near $20M in the minds of the Packer brass.

Yesterday, the offer may have been made again. However, how can you justify the viewpoint that the Packers wanted to do marketing around Favre after the fiasco we've seen in the last month? Nothing like that was going to happen...at least not for quite awhile.

As I see it, a bribe was offered yesterday...even if the Packers can spin it to be something similar to what they've had on the table for several months.

They may not be happy with his latest stance, but he's going into the Packer HoF and I'm sure they'd sure love to still have him around for events. This argument is straining your credibility with me, it feels like a stretch. They are trying to work it out and I don't see the problem with letting him know that they haven't changed their mind about their offer. Big Fing deal.

What a low-class move to release it to the media by Favre and Co., assuming the rumors are true that it is the same offer he got when he retired.

sharpe1027
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Double post.

Anyway, I'm just ticked about the whole situation I guess and especially with Favre who just seems to be coming of as trying to play us fans using the media. It is the last thing I would have expected from him.