PDA

View Full Version : What Single "Truth" Would Change Your Mind?

RIPackerFan
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Many of us have taken sides on the Favre situation. We are all basing our ideas on some assumptions (since we don't really have a good idea on what is really going on). So my question is this - is there an assumed truth that, if different, would make you go from one camp to another.

As an example, for me, I like to believe I am relatively neutral - but if anything, I am more on Favre's side.

However, if I found out that he planned all of this, just to play for the Vikings (i.e. purposefully retired and planned his comeback for the sole purpose of playing for the Vikes), I would instantly be against Favre.

Didn't know if anyone else had a single truth that would cause them to "change" sides.

AV David
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Let me think about it. I'll get back to you.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Many of us have taken sides on the Favre situation. We are all basing our ideas on some assumptions (since we don't really have a good idea on what is really going on). So my question is this - is there an assumed truth that, if different, would make you go from one camp to another.

As an example, for me, I like to believe I am relatively neutral - but if anything, I am more on Favre's side.

However, if I found out that he planned all of this, just to play for the Vikings (i.e. purposefully retired and planned his comeback for the sole purpose of playing for the Vikes), I would instantly be against Favre.

Didn't know if anyone else had a single truth that would cause them to "change" sides.

If it were proven that TT has been lying this whole time - i.e. lying about finding a role for Favre when he comes to camp, lying about trying to accomidate his wishes to play football this year, etc. - then I'd likely be more pro Favre. But from what I keep hearing, Favre's only desires that TT isn't accomidating are 1) he can't be Green Bay's starting QB anymore, and 2) he can't be the Vikings starting QB. IMO those are both reasonable conditions, as they do not exclude Favre from playing football if that's what he really wants to do.

boiga
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
That's easy.

If Favre comes out with a statement tomorrow saying that he would be happy to back up Rodgers if that is the Coach's choice, I'd forgive him everything.

All he has to say is that he respects the decision of McCarthy to start Aaron and that he knows that no position in the NFL is guaranteed. It would also help if he offered to do everything in his power to help the Packers reach the superbowl, and if sitting the bench is what it takes, he's all for it.

That's all. I'd be very Pro-Favre again from that point on.

NewsBruin
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd like to see Favre welcomed back to camp, allowed to throw to the 2nd stringers, and given a locker and a seat at QB meetings, even if he is not slotted to start. In the meantime, the Packers should pursue trades in good faith and not try to drag it out or get Godfather protection by the commish.

The "truth" that would change my stance would be if Brett said in cold composure, "Fuck y'all newbies. I'm going to spike all trades until I get sent to the Vikes for nothing. I've already told the Jets and Tampa that I want nothing to do with them, so keep lining 'em up.

As soon as you let me in camp, I'm going to tell every player that you're soft and A-Rod's brittle. If anyone puts a mike or tape recorder within two feet of me, I'm going to lie my ass off about how much you suck and how my next team will treat a superstar better. Oh, and I'm going to turn A-Rod's locker into a Dutch Oven every time he's in the film room.

Finally, if you get that n00b commish involved, I'm going to tell him the same thing and dare him to not sign my papers."

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
If Aaron turned out to be a pedophile I'd be inclined to welcome Favre back..

That's about it, really. Nothing else could change my mind.

green_bowl_packer
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM

"Timmy you say Aaron touched you here?"

http://radprofile.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/1001_touch_you_here.jpg

(':D')

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 07:39 PM

Or maybe when TT cuts Ruvell's ass you'll like him less :lol: :wink:

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
If it turns out that in March, while Brett was mulling his decision of whether or not to retire (before he had actually retired), either Thompson or McCarthy(or both) went to Brett and told him "Brett, if you come back you're not going to be the starter, we're handing Aaron the keys to the hot rod" then I would back Favre in this.

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen though.

Brando19
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
If Favre was the one who demanded 20 million dollars to stay retired and they said no, and he said well then you'll see me in Green Bay soon...then I'd be against Favre.

green_bowl_packer
07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
If Favre was the one who demanded 20 million dollars to stay retired and they said no, and he said well then you'll see me in Green Bay soon...then I'd be against Favre.

Why go for 20 million over 10 years, when you can get 12 million over 6 months? Bus wouldn't let him do that.

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM

Or maybe when TT cuts Ruvell's ass you'll like him less :lol: :wink:

Like him less? Are you kidding?

If TT cuts Ruvell I will stop being a Packer fan. End of story.

Sparkey
07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
There is no single or multiple truth that would change my mind either way. The Packers were going to have to make this decision eventually and by retiring, Favre made that decision easy.

Disconnect the emotion and the Packers decision is logical. What I mean is that players get old and lose their abilities. On every scale, the same thing happens on a daily basis. The teams that let emotions dictate their decisions and hang on to players too long end up suffering long term consequences. Usually in respect to losing a younger player or having too much money invested in a player that is giving diminishing returns. That's not to say that going with the younger, more athletic player will actually make things better, but the odds are in the favor of the later decision being the better decision.

BTW, when discussing what players offer their teams, we forget what the teams offer the players. Obviously $$$ is a big one, but also opportunity. If Favre had stayed in Atlanta would he have become this great quarterback or was it a result of the teaching and influence of Mike Holmgren ?

Sometimes is just time to put the past where it belongs. In the past and move forward. 1996 was twelve years ago.

AV David
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
OK I've thought about it.

My attitude has been: "I can't believe #4 has turned into such a whiner and so narcissistic. " I am really disappointed in him.

If it is true this whole thing is a set up to get to the Vikings,I would hate #4 and could never forgive him. I would feel the same way if it was conclusively shown he was doing this just to hurt TT or the Packers.

Other than that, time can heal a lot of wounds

boiga
08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
OK I've thought about it.

My attitude has been: "I can't believe #4 has turned into such a whiner and so narcissistic. " I am really disappointed in him.

If it is true this whole thing is a set up to get to the Vikings,I would hate #4 and could never forgive him. I would feel the same way if it was conclusively shown he was doing this just to hurt TT or the Packers.

Other than that, time can heal a lot of woundsUhm... sorry?
In a text message to ESPN's Ed Werder, Favre said: "My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay. They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am." http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=brett%20favre

That's pretty conclusive that he's doing this just to hurt Ted and the Packers.

AV David
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
You're right.

From now on it's Brett Who?

I am taking him off my Christmas card list.

boiga
08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
You're right.

From now on it's Brett Who?

I am taking him off my Christmas card list.Actually, I'm thinking of forgiving the guy. If his most recent hesitation really is because he doesn't want to put his (former?) packer teamates in the middle of a chicken race between him and Ted, I could accept him back. This would be his first move in the entire saga that demonstrated some amount of loyalty to his team mates.

I could also forgive Brett unretiring and playing for another team... unless it's the vikings. If he plays for the vikings and has any level of success, Favre would be dead to me.

gex
08-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Why not root for him in Min. this year?

Not one,NOT ONE poster on this forum(maybe tex and jh) thinks we are going deep in the playoffs with the Annoited One anyways, we are in it for the long term, remember :roll: .

vince
08-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Not one,NOT ONE poster on this forum(maybe tex and jh) thinks we are going deep in the playoffs with the Annoited One anyways, we are in it for the long term, remember :roll: .

Gex you say "not one," and then name two immediately after???

There are many more than that too by the way. This is a talented and deep team from top to bottom, with the notable exception of DT. If the Dline can hold up, this team can definitely make a run in the playoffs - with Rodgers at QB. I guarantee you there are at least a dozen regular posters here who believe that.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 01:29 AM
I think they can make a run of it.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 04:26 AM

Because he'd be a Viking. I will never ever root for the Vikings as a team or any of it's players. I don't root for Sharper, I don't root for Longwell, and I won't root for Favre if he lands there. They are an archrival of ours.

Christ, if Derek Jeter were traded to or released and signed by the Boston Red Sox, how many Yankees fans do you suppose would be cheering for him to do well?

I think you get my point. You don't cheer for the enemy. If Favre does go to Minnesota and does suit up in purple, he becomes the enemy QB, and I hope he fails horribly and the team finishes last in the division. If he doesn't, then I hope T-Jax fails horribly and the team finishes in last in the division. If T-Jax gets hurt then I hope Booty fails horribly and the team finishes last in the division. Regardless what happens, I hope the Vikings fail horribly and finish in the NFC North cellar. That's about as bluntly as I can state my feelings on Favre to the Vikings.

Fritz
08-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd like to see Favre welcomed back to camp, allowed to throw to the 2nd stringers, and given a locker and a seat at QB meetings, even if he is not slotted to start. In the meantime, the Packers should pursue trades in good faith and not try to drag it out or get Godfather protection by the commish.

The "truth" that would change my stance would be if Brett said in cold composure, "Fuck y'all newbies. I'm going to spike all trades until I get sent to the Vikes for nothing. I've already told the Jets and Tampa that I want nothing to do with them, so keep lining 'em up.

As soon as you let me in camp, I'm going to tell every player that you're soft and A-Rod's brittle. If anyone puts a mike or tape recorder within two feet of me, I'm going to lie my ass off about how much you suck and how my next team will treat a superstar better. Oh, and I'm going to turn A-Rod's locker into a Dutch Oven every time he's in the film room.

Finally, if you get that n00b commish involved, I'm going to tell him the same thing and dare him to not sign my papers."

I thought Favre did stuff like that all the time anyway.

I would turn on TT if I found out conclusively that he was lying about going down to Mississippi to plan Favre's return. However, even Favre's camp admit that happened.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Bus might, as Bus can make a larger percentage commission on a marketing/personal services contract than he can on the players contract.

Why go for 20 million over 10 years, when you can get 12 million over 6 months? Bus wouldn't let him do that.

Maxie the Taxi
08-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Question: What Single "Truth" Would Change Your Mind?

Answer: If the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about.

Old School
08-02-2008, 10:25 AM
There is no single truth. The things that have been coming out over the last few years have gotten me to where I feel nothing but contempt for Favre. The private changing room, not speaking to rookies, being coach and GM during Sherman's tenure, and jerking the franchise around with his indecision on total comittment to playing have just piled up the evidence for me that he believes he's a football diety with a me first mentality.

As a Cub fan, I lived through the same BS with Sam Me Sosa. I've had my fill and now have zero tolerance for selfish spots figures.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Old School. 'bout time you had something to say. :P Welcome.

packinpatland
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
There is no single truth. The things that have been coming out over the last few years have gotten me to where I feel nothing but contempt for Favre. The private changing room, not speaking to rookies, being coach and GM during Sherman's tenure, and jerking the franchise around with his indecision on total comittment to playing have just piled up the evidence for me that he believes he's a football diety with a me first mentality.

As a Cub fan, I lived through the same BS with Sam Me Sosa. I've had my fill and now have zero tolerance for selfish spots figures.

All you say can be taken another way.......
private locker room....some say he did that as not to 'hog' attention in the locker room after the games....which is what the media would have done.
not speaking to rookies.....bs.........prove that. Remember when the Packers played whatever team Rick Mirer was qb'ing, some Packers don't even remember him being on the team. I don't think it's uncommon for a vetran to 'socialize' with the rookies.
being coach and Gm.......once again.....prove that
total comittment..........when he was on the field there was never any doubt to his comittment.