PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: No reinstatment, no 20 mill offer

boiga
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809a2cd1

Goodell's not reinstating Favre today either, the 20 million dollar buy out is a false rumor.

Also, trade market's dead. Retirement still being encouraged. Favre could milk the next couple of years salaries too.

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
And why in the hell is THIS any more believable than any of the other crap spewed by these media bastards?

imscott72
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
What's going on with Goodell? Is he that good of buds with Murphy? This is ridiculous..Shouldn't take half a week to reinstate the man..

packers11
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
of course the trade market is dead...

Why would any team waste a draft pick knowing that Favre could be released???

If I was Ted, over a month ago I would have started to look around... KEEP IT BEHIND THE MEDIA... now its to late, Favre has no trade value...

boiga
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
And why in the hell is THIS any more believable than any of the other crap spewed by these media bastards?Schefter's been pretty spot on for the most part. The only problem with the denial of the 20 million dollar buy out offer is that it comes from a "source with intimate knowledge of these negotiations." So who knows if that's from the Favre camp or the packer staff.

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Schefter's been pretty spot on for the most part. The only problem with the denial of the 20 million dollar buy out offer is that it comes from a "source with intimate knowledge of these negotiations." So who knows if that's from the Favre camp or the packer staff.

My guess is that what's closest to the truth is that the Packers long ago (June is plausible) offered Favre another non-football job with the organization in a promotional or goodwill role (that would also preclude him from playing football). That contract would pay 20 million and last for 10 years. That offer has been on the table since whenever it was first offered (say, early June), and Murphy just mentioned that they were still interested in hiring Favre in this capacity in their meeting yesterday.

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Schefter's been pretty spot on for the most part. The only problem with the denial of the 20 million dollar buy out offer is that it comes from a "source with intimate knowledge of these negotiations." So who knows if that's from the Favre camp or the packer staff.

My guess is that what's closest to the truth is that the Packers long ago (June is plausible) offered Favre another non-football job with the organization in a promotional or goodwill role (that would also preclude him from playing football). That contract would pay 20 million and last for 10 years. That offer has been on the table since whenever it was first offered (say, early June), and Murphy just mentioned that they were still interested in hiring Favre in this capacity in their meeting yesterday.

Not a bad thought

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Wilbon's looking like a right dick ranting on the Packers giving $20 million dollars.

Oops. :oops:

bbbffl66
07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Just watched the Schefter bit on NFL.com. I dunno. He said the $20 mil was not entirely accurate. Does that mean it was a little accurate?

texaspackerbacker
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Putting the $20 million into perspective, based on his contract, Favre would supposedly make $39 million through 2010. Spreading half that over ten years and not having it count against the cap is pretty decent from the team's point of view.

Not that money means much to Favre, but if he was released, I doubt he'd get even a tenth of that salary based on the contract--assuming his comeback was a one year thing.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, if this is true, the favre camp is more spineless than i thought

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 04:54 PM

Bunch of hidden snakes in the grass, that's what they are.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 04:55 PM

Bunch of hidden snakes in the grass, that's what they are.

I wonder what the Favre camp will make up next? "MM killed Favre dog!" " TT failed Brittany on her Eng paper!" lol

Freak Out
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
What the hell? What was his excuse today for not reinstating #4?

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 05:14 PM

It's Hari Pahlawan, also known as Malaysian Remembrance Day.

You can't expect Goodell to work on Hari Pahlawan, can you?

boiga
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
PFT and JSO confirm that Goodell won't be reinstating Favre today. Mortenson says that he won't be on the plane to Green Bay tonight then either, and since he's got the ins with the Favre camp, don't wait up for Brett tonight.

FAVRE WILL NOT BE REINSTATED TODAY
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2008, 6:29 p.m. EDT

We don’t know whether Brett Favre is following through on his plans to fly from Hattiesburg to Green Bay this evening, but if he does, he won’t be able to report to training camp tomorrow morning.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has decided not to reinstate Favre today, instead waiting to see whether Favre and the Packers can come to some sort of agreement before he needs to rule on Favre’s petition for reinstatement.

But while it’s understandable that Goodell would hold out hope that an amicable resolution can be reached, it seems unlikely. The fundamental fact that Favre wants to play and the Packers don’t want him to is simply not going to change.

So even if Favre can’t report to camp tomorrow morning, unless the Packers agree to cut him or trade him, it’s only a matter of time before he does.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
PFT and JSO confirm that Goodell won't be reinstating Favre today. Mortenson says that he won't be on the plane to Green Bay tonight then either, and since he's got the ins with the Favre camp, don't wait up for Brett tonight.

FAVRE WILL NOT BE REINSTATED TODAY
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2008, 6:29 p.m. EDT

We don’t know whether Brett Favre is following through on his plans to fly from Hattiesburg to Green Bay this evening, but if he does, he won’t be able to report to training camp tomorrow morning.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has decided not to reinstate Favre today, instead waiting to see whether Favre and the Packers can come to some sort of agreement before he needs to rule on Favre’s petition for reinstatement.

But while it’s understandable that Goodell would hold out hope that an amicable resolution can be reached, it seems unlikely. The fundamental fact that Favre wants to play and the Packers don’t want him to is simply not going to change.

So even if Favre can’t report to camp tomorrow morning, unless the Packers agree to cut him or trade him, it’s only a matter of time before he does.

Mort completely forgets that the Packers are well within thier rights to hold onto Favre as a backup for the duration of the 2008 season if they chose to do so. Not even the NFLPA can step in on that one.

LL2
07-31-2008, 06:11 PM

Mr. Goodell is not doing Favre any favors either.