PDA

View Full Version : The flight to GB has been cancelled

CaptainKickass
07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Rich Eisen of the NFL Network just said so.

CaptainKickass
07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
He also said that apparently - if Favre is gonna go to GB, He'd hafta fill up his "monster truck" about 50 times and/or begin some offshore drilling to get him anough gas to get there,

lol

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
And do they know what the reason is for the cancellation?

green_bowl_packer
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
This is why . . .

FAVRE WILL NOT BE REINSTATED TODAY
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2008, 6:29 p.m.

We don’t know whether Brett Favre is following through on his plans to fly from Hattiesburg to Green Bay this evening, but if he does, he won’t be able to report to training camp tomorrow morning.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has decided not to reinstate Favre today, instead waiting to see whether Favre and the Packers can come to some sort of agreement before he needs to rule on Favre’s petition for reinstatement.

But while it’s understandable that Goodell would hold out hope that an amicable resolution can be reached, it seems unlikely. The fundamental fact that Favre wants to play and the Packers don’t want him to is simply not going to change.

So even if Favre can’t report to camp tomorrow morning, unless the Packers agree to cut him or trade him, it’s only a matter of time before he does

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/31/favre-will-not-be-reinstated-today/

Freak Out
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
And do they know what the reason is for the cancellation?

TT has deployed a large battery of Patriot missiles to defend against any rogue Favre travel plans.

CaptainKickass
07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
That was all. They followed it up with a commercial.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know how Goodell is getting away with delaying the reinstatement. I'm surprised the players union hasn't gotten involved yet. This is stupid.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't know how Goodell is getting away with delaying the reinstatement. I'm surprised the players union hasn't gotten involved yet. This is stupid.

The difference between him being reinstated and not reinstated is not so important. Favre will just be in GB, seperated from the team, doing individual work, until the impasse is ended. That could go on for some time. I don't think either party actually wants that, Goodell is probably providing cover for both sides.

I think Favre supporters think Favre is going to swoop into GB and earn his rightful place as starting QB. Ain't gonna happen, its clear that the Packers don't want him as their starting QB, they aren't gonna budge unless there is an injury to Rodgers. They don't want him on the team at all, the backup job is of no interest to Favre.

MJZiggy
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM

He doesn't "have" to reinstate him at all if he chooses not to, though that would be a media and fan hit like none other. He can take his sweet time if he wants, and if it's Favre that's being stubborn he might just be doing it to "coax him into being more cooperative."

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 07:11 PM

He doesn't "have" to reinstate him at all if he chooses not to, though that would be a media and fan hit like none other. He can take his sweet time if he wants, and if it's Favre that's being stubborn he might just be doing it to "coax him into being more cooperative."

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell's view of the whole matter has evolved. It seemed like at first he was buying the media/Bretsky spin that the Packers were just sitting on Favre. Now that he's seen a little of Favre in action (refusing to talk to Jets or Tampa), he could be a little wiser.

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I just heard "the unit" out of Milw say the flight was in the air, the tracker on the internet was taken down, but he thought the flight was up. No one knew if Brett was on it either way.

Rastak
07-31-2008, 07:18 PM

He is under contract with the Green Bay Packers and wants to report to camp. What exactly is there to be stubborn about? Not agreeing to stay home? Not going to a team he has no interest in playing for?

He is under contract. I think his stupid Greta (Minneapolis Vikings) interview completely put people off, but in the end, the dude wants to report and play football.

The Gunshooter
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
GB should round up some fat highschool kids to work out with Favre until they release him to Minnesota. Give them each a big burrito before practice so Favre can show them how to $hit the bed.

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 08:09 PM

He is under contract with the Green Bay Packers and wants to report to camp. What exactly is there to be stubborn about? Not agreeing to stay home? Not going to a team he has no interest in playing for?

He is under contract. I think his stupid Greta (Minneapolis Vikings) interview completely put people off, but in the end, the dude wants to report and play football.

exactly; this whole delay and analysis is really f'in stupid. Either reinstate him, or deny it if you choose to

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell's view of the whole matter has evolved. It seemed like at first he was buying the media/Bretsky spin that the Packers were just sitting on Favre. Now that he's seen a little of Favre in action (refusing to talk to Jets or Tampa), he could be a little wiser.

It's almost comical that posters think they know everything that goes on behind the scenes. Packer Flaghip Milwaukee station was breaking this all down today and came out and said we probably only know the half of it and there are reasons on both sides not to air it all out publicly

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 08:14 PM

I also notice that you rip on the media spin yet then use it as your supporting arguments. Has the Favre Camp or TT/MM commented on the Jets/Tampa Bay ? I find no confirmation that he did or did not refuse anything. That was a media leak as well. :lol:

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 08:39 PM

yeah, wat gives with the delay

and many posters assumed commish was favoring favre...

digitaldean
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Listening to ESPN Radio coming home I heard them say that the Jets have upped there offer and Bus & Brett were in negotiations.

WTF?? Has anyone else heard anything??

Just saw this on PFT: (sorry if someone else posted this...
REPORT: PACKERS, JETS IN “SERIOUS TALKS”
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2008, 8:53 p.m.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette is reporting that the New York Jets are in serious talks with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre’s agent about a trade that would send Favre to the Big Apple.

In fact, there’s actually a headline right now on the Press-Gazette web site reading, “All But Over: Favre to Go to Jets (It’s Over: Favre traded to Jets)” although there’s no story under that headline, and it has the appearance of something that was mistakenly put up by an overzealous web producer. (UPDATE: That headline has now been removed.)

However, there’s no mistaking that the Press-Gazette is reporting that the Jets “have shown a growing interest” in Favre, and they now appear to be the favorites to land him.

Favre was reportedly planning to fly from Mississippi to Green Bay this evening, but he has apparently now canceled those plans.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM

then Goodell probably shouldn't of opened his mouth and said if Favre applied for reinstatement he would grant it right away.

Partial
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
According to JSO, he is still flying there per there update to the blog post. His plane is stalled for some reason?

I don't want to see him on the Jets. Their attempt to fortify their roster this season was pretty weak imo.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM

then Goodell probably shouldn't of opened his mouth and said if Favre applied for reinstatement he would grant it right away.

Maybe the commissioner has changed his mind after learning more about the situation. Or maybe there is a recent development such as a potential trade in the works or something that Goodell knows about, and is doing this to keep the distraction to a minimum in the meantime. Who knows. I can almost guarantee though that Goodell isn't doing this to hurt Favre or to hurt the Packers. He doesn't wanna get this one wrong either, so I'm sure he's got a good reason.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 08:54 PM

Goodell is probably doing this because both Favre and the team want it.

Favre supporters think that Favre is going to swoop into his Kingdom and reclaim his throne. Its more like work-out alone somewhere, away from the team. Sounds pretty miserable to me.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM

Goodell is probably doing this because both Favre and the team want it.

Favre supporters think that Favre is going to swoop into his Kingdom and reclaim his throne. Its more like work-out alone somewhere, away from the team. Sounds pretty miserable to me.

Do you really think if Brett shows up and they make him work out alone and away from the team that's in the best interest of the team? You think guys like Driver, Tausch, et al. are going to be ok with that?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Do you really think if Brett shows up and they make him work out alone and away from the team that's in the best interest of the team? You think guys like Driver, Tausch, et al. are going to be ok with that?

He would not be allowed to be with the team if he didn't accept MM's terms - backup QB. That seems quite likely. What's the point of him joining the team if he is at compete odds with the coach and team goals?

Yes, Favre would be kept in the cooler until the impasse was broken. And I can't see either party wanting this.

Joemailman
07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
TT's Last Stand!

http://beachhead.tibranch.com/graphics/webpg2aagunner.jpg

imscott72
07-31-2008, 09:05 PM

He would not be allowed to be with the team if he didn't accept MM's terms - backup QB. That seems quite likely. What's the point of him joining the team if he is at compete odds with the coach and team goals?

Yes, Favre would be kept in the cooler until the impasse was broken. And I can't see either party wanting this.

He's already said he's willing to accept a lesser role. Not sure what else he can say. MM also went on record saying there were scenarios where Brett could remain on the team. What are those scenarios? I think making him work out alone and away from the team would severly divide the team.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
He's already said he's willing to accept a lesser role.

I never saw this quote. Could you provide a link or approximate date? I really doubt this is true.

MM also went on record saying there were scenarios where Brett could remain on the team. What are those scenarios?.

The scenario is that Favre accepts the #2 job. Honestly, I think both parties are way past this, we're in an ugly divorce.

I think making him work out alone and away from the team would severly divide the team.

Of course it would be devisive. But less devisive than having the unhappy QB with a chip on his shoulder (the cancer) with the team, when the coaches don't want him.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM

I never saw this quote. Could you provide a link or approximate date? I really doubt this is true.

I'll look, but there's been so much print it may take me until tomorrow, but I know I read it somewhere. Maybe someone else can chime in and cooberate.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM

I'll look, but there's been so much print it may take me until tomorrow, but I know I read it somewhere. Maybe someone else can chime in and cooberate.

FAvre is only interested in a starting job with GB or any other team, that's been consistent.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-176/Goodell-doesn-t-want-hostilities-on-the-practice-field.html

Not a whole lot new here, but Kevin Seifert thinks Goodell is just trying to prevent an ugly spectacle.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM

FAvre is only interested in a starting job with GB or any other team, that's been consistent.

The only thing I could really find was that there were indications that he may accept a lesser role when camp opens because he knows he can outperform Rodgers.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/25/favre-knows-situation-hasn-t-change-in-gb.aspx

Also saw where TT said Brett could come to camp despite everything that's happened, which I thought was funny because at this point they don't want him in camp.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/28/thompson-transcript.aspx

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/28/thompson-speaks.aspx

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-176/Goodell-doesn-t-want-hostilities-on-the-practice-field.html

Not a whole lot new here, but Kevin Seifert thinks Goodell is just trying to prevent an ugly spectacle.I'm actually rather grateful to Goodell for the extra day. This delay lets the packers have the Family Night scrimmage without any fan riots for Brett to come out to the field. Now the earliest he'll likely be able to show up to practice will be on Sunday morning.

Sure Goodell was probably more worried about distractions to the Canton ceremony this weekend than Family night, but it works out in the team's best interest.

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:40 PM
The only thing I could really find was that there were indications that he may accept a lesser role when camp opens because he knows he can outperform Rodgers. That actually contradicts your point. If he "knows" that he can outperform Rodgers in a direct competition, then that suggests he would not accept a coaches opinion to the contrary. The potential strife caused by Favre and his supporters if he is benched is why M3 has refused to allow for the possibility of a competition in the first place.

This entire time, the "I just want to play" line has simply been code that he wants to be out there on the field, and being a starter is the only way to guarantee that. Brett would not gracefully accept being benched to put Rodgers on the field.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
The only thing I could really find was that there were indications that he may accept a lesser role when camp opens because he knows he can outperform Rodgers. That actually contradicts your point. If he "knows" that he can outperform Rodgers in a direct competition, then that suggests he would not accept a coaches opinion to the contrary. The potential strife caused by Favre and his supporters if he is benched is why M3 has refused to allow for the possibility of a competition in the first place.

This entire time, the "I just want to play" line has simply been code that he wants to be out there on the field, and being a starter is the only way to guarantee that. Brett would not gracefully accept being benched to put Rodgers on the field.

Well that could be construed to mean outperform in practice and/or in a game in the event of an injury. I think most backup QB's hope to outperform the starter in order to move up in ranks. That doesn't necessarily mean he's coming to camp and demanding to push Rodgers to the backup role again although at times it looks that way.

boiga
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Well that could be construed to mean outperform in practice and/or in a game in the event of an injury. I think most backup QB's hope to outperform the starter in order to move up in ranks. That doesn't necessarily mean he's coming to camp and demanding to push Rodgers to the backup role again although at times it looks that way. I disagree in your interpretation that it has any relation to injury. Brett said that he wants a competition because he knows he can outperform Rodgers, which means that Brett really can't join the team unless he changes his attitude.

When can a backup go around saying "I'm better than the guy starting" without causing strife? That statement, in and of itself, contradicts the will of the coach. It is a kind of insubordination, which is one reason that M3 is so peeved at Brett right now.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Well that could be construed to mean outperform in practice and/or in a game in the event of an injury. I think most backup QB's hope to outperform the starter in order to move up in ranks. That doesn't necessarily mean he's coming to camp and demanding to push Rodgers to the backup role again although at times it looks that way. I disagree in your interpretation that it has any relation to injury. Brett said that he wants a competition because he knows he can outperform Rodgers, which means that Brett really can't join the team unless he changes his attitude.

When can a backup go around saying "I'm better than the guy starting" without causing strife? That statement, in and of itself, contradicts the will of the coach. It is a kind of insubordination, which is one reason that M3 is so peeved at Brett right now.

I do agree with you there. That kind of talk from Brett is definitely harmful to the cause. It's typical Brett Favre. Says one thing then says another. I'm sure this is the stuff MM and TT are tired of. Hard to blame them for that.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777554

When Van Susteren asked Favre if he would be willing to go to training camp and actually compete for the starting job, his response — “Why?” — spoke volumes.

CaliforniaCheez
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM
There are no sure things in this saga.