PDA

View Full Version : So it's the Jets now?

boiga
07-31-2008, 07:40 PM
The New York Jets are in serious talks with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre’s agent about acquiring the legendary quarterback, a source said today.

The Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only teams that have permission to speak with Favre about a potential trade for now. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has been in talks with the Jets, who have shown a growing interest, but Cook has not been working closely with the Buccaneers, according to two sources http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/PKR01/80731163/1954/PKR03

You heard it here first, maybe....

Lurker64
07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd much rather deal him to the Jets than to the Bucs, and honestly I think the Jets wouldn't be a bad destination for him. He'd go to the AFC, to a team with a good offensive line, and a good coach, and they'd keep him in Green.

Good enough, I say.

MJZiggy
07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Wonder if Ol' Bus can get a bidding war going...?

boiga
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Wonder if Ol' Bus can get a bidding war going...?Why would he want to? He's got no interest in making the Jets give up draft picks, he's more interested in their paying Brett the full salary.

Edit: Ironically, the JSO sees it the other way, though:
The Jets' interest appears to be diminishing because of Favre's refusal to speak to them, but the Buccaneers very much remain in the mix, especially after quarterback Jeff Garcia suffered a calf injury in practice Thursday. http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/31/trade-talks-will-heat-up-when-favre-arrives.aspx

MJZiggy
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
They can't afford to without restructuring, but if he gets a bidding war going, he might be able to jack the price just a little and get them to move some money around--money that wouldn't' get moved if their weren't competition.

green_bowl_packer
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Can the Jets swing this with $8.5 million in salary cap?
http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Or is this the return volley from the Pack in the PR war in that this is Brett's least favored destination because he can't stick to TT from the AFC and to make him press the stay retired button cause he's not getting what he wants.

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Florio's got it up, but from the same source.

boiga
07-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Can the Jets swing this with $8.5 million in salary cap?

If they release or trade Chad Pennington, they could work it. His salary is 4,000,000 according to Fox. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?categoryId=70380

They'd still be a couple of hundred thousand short, but if I were chad I wouldn't be too secure right now. If they gave us a warm body at DT, that would probably be enough to makeup the difference.

arcilite
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
If Favre plays somewhere other than Green Bay this year.... I hope its the Jets.

I can root for the Jets. Especially when they play the patriots two times a year.

Packers4Ever
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd much rather deal him to the Jets than to the Bucs, and honestly I think the Jets wouldn't be a bad destination for him. He'd go to the AFC, to a team with a good offensive line, and a good coach, and they'd keep him in Green.

Good enough, I say.

Good thinking, Lurker !!
I forgot about the "green factor" but that works - but I heard (source?)
yesterday that the Jets weren't interested. Too costly?
One of the ESPN guys today said Jeff Garcia was
staying where he is, down with the Bucs.

What are we going to discuss when this is over? :roll:

Packers4Ever
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM

Betcha he sure enough could !! :wink:

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 08:34 PM

I dont think ol' bus could get an ol' bus going at this point. This guy cant have much cred in the NFL.

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
If he goes to the Jets.........would he be their starter?

boiga
07-31-2008, 08:41 PM
If he goes to the Jets.........would he be their starter?Yes likely, both of their QB's are lousy.

Here's another schefter update: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809a4da9

He says the Bucs don't want Brett anymore, and insinuates that neither do any of the NFC north teams.

He also says that the 20 million pay off discussion never happened.

So, right now it's Jets or bust.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Probably, unless thier head coach and management have already made a committment to another player to be the starter. In that case, I don't think they'd make the trade in the first place.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAA

boiga
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Probably, unless thier head coach and management have already made a committment to another player to be the starter. In that case, I don't think they'd make the trade in the first place.Nope, they are having a QB competition right now between Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington, with Chad in the lead.

But like I said, both stink.

packinpatland
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
For what it's worth, ESPN is now scrolling that Favre may take the retirement 'package'..............

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
For what it's worth, ESPN is now scrolling that Favre may take the retirement 'package'..............

Funny, because NFLN is reporting that the 20 million dollar conversation never took place. I don't know...

imscott72
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
the media sucks! Everybody wants to scoop everybody else so they're just spewing anything out there and hoping it sticks.

mission
07-31-2008, 09:05 PM
the media sucks! Everybody wants to scoop everybody else so they're just spewing anything out there and hoping it sticks.

that's the simple explanation for my media-angst i was looking for ... i had all sorts of reasons but that just sums it up.

Bretsky
07-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Get the Deal Done to end this

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Get the Deal Done to end this

I'm sure the Packers are trying. This can't be helping them any either. But it's Thompson's job to make sure he can get fair value for him in return. Releasing him just to end the circus isn't fair to Green Bay, and any trade has to be agreed upon by the other team. I'm sure other teams were highly skeptical of it until Favre sent in his papers, so really this is only a couple days old. Give him some time.

GBRulz
07-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Would Favre be older than the Jets head coach? :shock:

vince
07-31-2008, 09:16 PM

:wave: :wave:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
a trade to the Jets seems too good to be true.

Brando19
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Favre reuniting with Bubba Franks and Ahmad Carroll. Well...at least he'd be happy about the Bubba part.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Favre reuniting with Bubba Franks and Ahmad Carroll. Well...at least he'd be happy about the Bubba part.

The Jets and Texans would be in a dead heat, for the first team ever to rebuild the 2004 Packers.

Bossman641
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Please let their be truth in this rumor. There's too much crap flying around to know what is true.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM

He'd be happy with Ahmad again. He's have a familiar whipping boy to work on in practice all week.

They aren't actually letting Carroll start are they?

Brando19
07-31-2008, 09:24 PM

The Jets and Texans would be in a dead heat, for the first team ever to rebuild the 2004 Packers.

Hahaha, no doubt. The Texans have suprised me by not wanting Brett and not offering a contract to William Henderson and Rob Davis.

boiga
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Or not:
FAVRE-TO-JETS REPORT OVERSTATED?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2008, 11:20 p.m.

Contrary to a report from the Green Bay Press-Gazette suggesting that quartberack Brett Favre could soon be traded by the Packers to the Jets, Dan Leberfeld of Scout.com reports that a deal isn’t close.

“That is not the case,” a source told Leberfeld in response to the Press-Gazette declaration that the Packers and Jets are in “serious talks.”

Our guess is that the Packers are floating the notion that they’re in serious talks with the Jets either to leverage any team to which the Jets might actually be talking, or to spark bidding on an auction for Favre’s services.

CaliforniaCheez
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
There are no sure things in this saga.

digitaldean
07-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Right now, any reports aren't worth the effort to read.

Breaking news turns out to be unsubstantiated rumor. In the headlong push to outscoop each other. Journalistic verification has gone out the window.

Only way this goes away is if it's settled AWAY from the *($&@&$(%) media!!

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Right now, any reports aren't worth the effort to read.

:lol: yes, I would say that is the one sure thing

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM

GoPackGo
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Hell Yes! I'm rooting for the Packers and the Jets this year.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/windsongs77/clapping.gif

pbmax
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Grabby smurf, how we miss you. Does he still have the boxing gloves?

boiga
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
You know, the irony is that GBPG posted the news that the Jets had gotten Favre a week ago... by accident.

And now that it's really happened, they still haven't updated their web site.

vince
08-07-2008, 05:26 AM

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:27 AM

Hahaha, no doubt. The Texans have suprised me by not wanting Brett and not offering a contract to William Henderson and Rob Davis.THey didn't offer becuase Shermy is gone.