PDA

View Full Version : Little things that get to you

Partial
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
What are some little things that get to you?

For me, an example around here is Lurker's profile. It says </delurk>. It should say </Lurk> or <Delurk>, either would work.

An example in the work place is when you are spoiled with juices and breakfast for a week or two straight, then the company skips bringing them in for a day. Its amazing that they bring in food, but then when they don't you aren't prepared!

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
any time any where I can hear a cell phone conversation. If it's outside (not a stadium) they get a pass, otherwise, Im in their face.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
People that confuse hear and here. :roll:

sheepshead
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
HAAAAAAAAA

-touche-

Joemailman
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
People that confuse hear and here. :roll:

Here! Here!

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Infomercials.

Keith Olbermann's ever-increasing bias.

McDonald's commercials showing hip young people dancing with Big Macs in their hand.

The X Games

People finding Jesus in mysterious places.

Ned Yost

MLB 2K series

Rap Music

Num Lock

John McCain's "experience at winning wars" WTF?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
crabs

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
The American version of "The Office".

HowardRoark
07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
When people decapitate strangers. Especially when they are sleeping.

That, and when people stand and chat in front of the cream at a coffee shop.

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
People on this forum that create massive quote box chains.

Only quote what's relevant to the post. Don't quote what some poster said 12 quotes ago. It makes the page all crazy.

See the "Who Blinks First" thread to see what I mean.

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Starbucks

Abercrombie and Fitch

Popped collars.

Joemailman
07-31-2008, 09:36 PM
People who tie up their frickin' dogs right in front of the mailbox.

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Do dogs really dislike the mailman as much as implied by popular culture?

gex
07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Neighbors mowing their lawns at every fkn hour, EVERY FKN DAY ( I hate living in the city).

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 09:55 PM

:lol:

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
EDIT.

Joemailman
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM

You're one of them, aren't you? I knew it. :smack:

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM

You're one of them, aren't you? I knew it. :smack:

lol....na. My dog is inside when the mailman delivers. Even if she was outside, all you would have to say is, "want a bone?" She'd jump on you and and give you a bunch of wet kisses. :D

SkinBasket
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Balloon headed interns who look a gift horse in the mouth.

Black people driving cars.

Partial
07-31-2008, 11:47 PM

Oh suck on it Skin. My company gets me at a bargin rate. Once college is done and I have a degree I can double my rate easily.

GrnBay007
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
People that are fake... appear to be something they're not.

Self-righteous posters

Iron Mike
08-01-2008, 12:54 AM

Co-workers that will expend three times the amount of energy in avoiding doing a task compared to the energy it would take to actually DO the task.

:roll:

Iron Mike
08-01-2008, 12:57 AM

Drivers who brake for half of a block, then actuate their directional signal halfway through a turn. :evil:

Iron Mike
08-01-2008, 01:14 AM

Being behind that certain person in the line at the grocery store that waits until the receipt is totalled to begin filling out a check. :doh:

th87
08-01-2008, 05:47 AM
I have a similar one: people who confuse their, they're, and there.

Or ones who type "common" to say "come on".

When it takes an equal amount of energy to be nice, or a dick, and people choose to be dicks.

Police officers with unnecessary attitudes (lots in VA, not so bad in WI).

Spoiled sports fans who think they had something to do with their team's success (Cubs fans).

SkinBasket
08-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Oh suck on it Skin. My company gets me at a bargin rate. Once college is done and I have a degree I can double my rate easily.

What does that have to do with complaining about your company not giving you your daily juice box and snack? Or are you cranky because they also skipped nap time?

I guess I should have been more articulate and expanded the compass of my statement to, "employees who expect their company to act more like their parents than their employer."

Believe it or not, this doesn't just apply to you. You simply complained about something that fell into this category. Although, after your comment about being a bargain, or bargin as the case may be, maybe my original statement was on target after all.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Yep, they will pay double for candidates who are poor spellers.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 05:02 PM
No little things ever bother me.

If it bothers me, it automatically ISN'T a little thing.

HowardRoark
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Does the media bother you?

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Does the media bother you?

Damn Straght! I guess that makes it a BIG thing, though.

Apologies to Ballhawk for piggybacking quotes :lol: .

Partial
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Yep, they will pay double for candidates who are poor spellers.

But they will pay for people who have experience in flex and j2e

Partial
08-01-2008, 06:54 PM

What does that have to do with complaining about your company not giving you your daily juice box and snack? Or are you cranky because they also skipped nap time?

I guess I should have been more articulate and expanded the compass of my statement to, "employees who expect their company to act more like their parents than their employer."

That's true. But, to be fair, when it happens 80% of the time and the day of the week they skip is for the most part totally random, its difficult to plan for. The solution would be to publish a schedule, do it everyday, or not do it at all.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-01-2008, 06:58 PM

That's true. But, to be fair, when it happens 80% of the time and the day of the week they skip is for the most part totally random, its difficult to plan for. The solution would be to publish a schedule, do it everyday, or not do it at all.

Your lack of professional experience is showing again.

Jimx29
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
People on this forum that create massive quote box chains.
I agree completely. MTP can change the settings so that multi-quote does not work.

People who post a thread and then reply to themselves, often time multiple times in a row (see pg 2 of this thread)

Partial
08-02-2008, 02:23 AM

Your lack of professional experience is showing again.

Ummm.... saying its a good thing turned bad when your company provides you with breakfast so frequently due to 60 hour weeks that it has become a waste of money to eat before going in yet one day a week you get screwed over and find yourself hungry? Do you work for a big compajy?!?

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 03:17 AM

Programming blows. Learn dynamic languages too. By the time you get out of college, Java will be the new COBOL--which isn't a bad thing for job security. It will be the language that is uncool to code, but will be hard to get rid of.

Partial
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Programming blows. Learn dynamic languages too. By the time you get out of college, Java will be the new COBOL--which isn't a bad thing for job security. It will be the language that is uncool to code, but will be hard to get rid of.

I like programming. I'm thinking about starting to look at Ruby on Rails as my boss keeps saying "Its an open source world", but I don't foresee flex going anywhere in the web app world anytime soon. Flash apps are soooooo pretty.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Groovy kicks Ruby in the balls.

Programming is fun, but after you do it for 10-12 years you'll probably get bored like most of us--and wish you worked as a Park Ranger or something.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Ummm.... saying its a good thing turned bad when your company provides you with breakfast so frequently due to 60 hour weeks that it has become a waste of money to eat before going in yet one day a week you get screwed over and find yourself hungry? Do you work for a big compajy?!?

To even suggest that they are going to publish a schedule, do it everyday, or not do it at all...That shows your lack of real world experience.

Big Company: You don't work for a big company. My experience: Disney, Siemens Westinghouse, Blue Cross blue Shield, Harcout Brace Jovanovich (before they just became harcourt), etc.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Groovy kicks Ruby in the balls.

Programming is fun, but after you do it for 10-12 years you'll probably get bored like most of us--and wish you worked as a Park Ranger or something.

C'mon...with partial's winning personality..i'm sure he will be project manager. :roll:

P.S. I agree with you on programming..or really anything technical. Becomes routine very quickly and it gets tiring always having to "update" your skills.

Partial
08-02-2008, 07:02 PM

To even suggest that they are going to publish a schedule, do it everyday, or not do it at all...That shows your lack of real world experience.

Big Company: You don't work for a big company. My experience: Disney, Siemens Westinghouse, Blue Cross blue Shield, Harcout Brace Jovanovich (before they just became harcourt), etc.

Actually, I work for a pretty big company. But again, nothing can compare to you.

They decided to email a schedule out to everyone. So much for Ty knows best hey?

The only company up there that I would think off the top of my head that is bigger than mine is Disney.

Partial
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Out of curiosity, what is going to take the place of Java? It has such a stronghold! Java is just growing and growing as far as I can tell. Especially with web-apps becoming the new big thing. Java is free, boatloads of documentation, tons of quality app support, etc.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-02-2008, 07:06 PM

Actually, I work for a pretty big company. But again, nothing can compare to you.

They decided to email a schedule out to everyone. So much for Ty knows best hey?

The only company up there that I would think off the top of my head that is bigger than mine is Disney.

What is the name of your company?

You are pretty clueless if you think your company is the size of SW.

sched: of course they did...you just chose to announce it on saturday. :roll:

Partial
08-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Mondays: AM DELIVERY
assortment of sodas and juice (approximately 35-40)
fruit tray (pineapple, melon) and some whole fruit (apples, bananas etc.)
PM DELIVERY
pretzels and popcorn

Tuesday: AM DELIVERY
Mini bagels with assorted cream cheese for 35 people
Assortment of juice and water for 35
PM DELIVERY
Veggie Tray and dip for 35 people

Wednesday: AM DELIVERY
fruit tray (pineapple, melon)
trail mix

Thursday: AM DELIVERY
Muffins and Sweet Breads

PM DELIVERY
variety of chips and candy bars

Friday: AM DELIVERY
fruit (apples, pears, bananas, grapes)
granola bars

Ty, you're a jag. Siemens is a big company, but their westinghouse brand? I can't even find revenue for it.

Do you go to bed at night telling yourself that you're the shit? Or where does this massive ego come from? My god, you just always have to be #1. You've got the biggest cock, the best body, and are the smartest, best worker in the world! I hope your parents are ashamed that they raised such a cocky assbag.

Partial
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
According to Career Builder, my company has more employees than Siemens Power Generation about 20%.

falco
08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
jeez lets just whip em out and see whose is bigger :roll:

Partial
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM

no shit right. It's pretty sad when Ty, a 40 something has to compare cocks with a 22 year old. :lol: My parents always told me by about 30 you're supposed to learn that you're not better than anybody else and only douches feel the need to brag. Evidently Ty never learned those lessons :D

Zool
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM

With all the bragging going on, i think the rest of us will need to attempt to not laugh as they are whipped out.

falco
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM

no shit right. It's pretty sad when Ty, a 40 something has to compare cocks with a 22 year old. :lol: My parents always told me by about 30 you're supposed to learn that you're not better than anybody else and only douches feel the need to brag. Evidently Ty never learned those lessons :D

so that gives you 8 years partial.... don't fuck it up

Partial
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM

With all the bragging going on, i think the rest of us will need to attempt to not laugh as they are whipped out.

Hey man I'm closer to driving a a Rav4 (v6) than a mac truck, but Ty has gotta be pu putting around in a geo metro or something because the dude clearly has issues with being wrong/outdone.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Pet Peeve is unfriendly people; when passing on the street people should have their head up and give you a friendly nod or say hi.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Hey man I'm closer to driving a a Rav4 (v6) than a mac truck, but Ty has gotta be pu putting around in a geo metro or something because the dude clearly has issues with being wrong/outdone.

You're having this discussion in the "little things" that bother you thread???

Zool
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
People that end sentences with so.

People that say fustrating or supposively/supposubly...also irregardless

People that sit in the right lane and wont let people merge from on-ramps (this should be punishable by death IMO)

People using lol and rofl (should be stricken from every lexicon)

HowardRoark
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
People that sit in the right lane and wont let people merge from on-ramps (this should be punishable by death IMO)

You must live in Minnesota. I think it's a Scandinavian thing....passive aggressive.

HowardRoark
08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
also irregardless

I heard Chris Matthews say this the other day. Irregardless of my feelings for the man, I was shocked that a guy who is paid to talk on T.V. used the word.

SkinBasket
08-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Also punishable by death should be the 85% of people who seem to have forgotten that it's your responsibility to adjust to traffic when coming off an on-ramp. Seems that everyone's too busy checking their Blackberry these days to merge properly.

Add to that people who don't use the 1 and 1 rule when merging two lines into one at stadiums. They don't seem to realize that being a cock is still going to get you parked right next to the person you just pissed off by acting like there's only one parking spot left in the south lot.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 08:38 AM
People that end sentences with so.

People that say fustrating or supposively/supposubly...also irregardless

ROFLMAO

sheepshead
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
People that block intersections or driveways in traffic.

People that order food and say"do" as in" Ill do the fish and chips" and "Ill do an Iced Tea"

Zool
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM

Also punishable by death should be the 85% of people who seem to have forgotten that it's your responsibility to adjust to traffic when coming off an on-ramp. Seems that everyone's too busy checking their Blackberry these days to merge properly.

Add to that people who don't use the 1 and 1 rule when merging two lines into one at stadiums. They don't seem to realize that being a cock is still going to get you parked right next to the person you just pissed off by acting like there's only one parking spot left in the south lot.

Yesterday I was the only car merging. Its a 6 lane and there was no one within 1000 feet of this car in either direction. They were exiting the highway in a mile so there's no fuckin way they were going to move over 1 lane or slow down/speed up even though the on-ramp is like 1/8th of a mile and they could see me coming for ever. This is not a rare occurrence. Traffic here is nothing even at the busiest times of day.

SkinBasket
08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Yesterday I was the only car merging. Its a 6 lane and there was no one within 1000 feet of this car in either direction.

Then it should have been easy to merge in front or behind him, no?

HowardRoark
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Speaking of merging……..once a flight lands, it would seem rather obvious the most efficient method to get passengers off the aircraft is to wait your turn and, in an orderly manner, get out of your seat and quickly walk off the jet.

The people who for some reason think they can get ahead of the line should be institutionalized for their stupidity. I am not opposed to body checking in this circumstance.

Iron Mike
08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
also irregardless

I heard Chris Matthews say this the other day. Irregardless of my feelings for the man, I was shocked that a guy who is paid to talk on T.V. used the word.

I LOLed. :lol:

Oooops, sorry. :oops:

oregonpackfan
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
People who drive too fast and too slow bother me. The "too fast" people definitely put themselves and others at risk.

The "too slow" people who drive 10+ miles below the speed limit are almost as hazardous as the fast drivers because everyone is trying to get around them.

I cringe when I think of my 84 year old mother-in-law who still is driving. Though most of her driving is to the grocery store and church in her small Oregon town, she does drive about twice a month to the Portland Metro area. I doubt she drives anywhere near the speed limit.

falco
08-03-2008, 11:56 AM
People who drive too fast and too slow bother me. The "too fast" people definitely put themselves and others at risk.

The "too slow" people who drive 10+ miles below the speed limit are almost as hazardous as the fast drivers because everyone is trying to get around them.

I cringe when I think of my 84 year old mother-in-law who still is driving. Though most of her driving is to the grocery store and church in her small Oregon town, she does drive about twice a month to the Portland Metro area. I doubt she drives anywhere near the speed limit.

george carlin once commented that a person's opinion of someone while driving was as follows:

people going faster than you - fucking maniacs
people going slower than you - fucking assholes

its all in perception i guess

Iron Mike
08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
People who drive too fast and too slow bother me.

I'm on the opposite side of the coin.....the drivers that bother me are the ones who will be in a line of cars averaging, say 70 m.p.h., and feel like life's not worth living unless they are traveling 71 m.p.h. The next ten miles are spent with them in the passing lane of a four-lane highway with them barely passing the cars in the right lane, all the while holding up 10-12 cars behind them that would like to drive 75 m.p.h.

Jesus H. Christ, couldn't you just reduce your speed 1 m.p.h. and let the passing lane be for cars that actually are PASSING you? :evil:

SkinBasket
08-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Speaking of merging……..once a flight lands, it would seem rather obvious the most efficient method to get passengers off the aircraft is to wait your turn and, in an orderly manner, get out of your seat and quickly walk off the jet.

The people who for some reason think they can get ahead of the line should be institutionalized for their stupidity. I am not opposed to body checking in this circumstance.

Unfortunately it seems the elderly are the most to blame for this. They have an unnatural fear of being left behind for dead or something and are always the one's trying to board before their zone or not letting people ahead of them deplane before they amble their old decrepit ass up the aisle.

Iron Mike
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Unfortunately it seems the elderly are the most to blame for this. They have an unnatural fear of being left behind for dead or something and are always the one's trying to board before their zone or not letting people ahead of them deplane before they amble their old decrepit ass up the aisle.

Hmmm....it seems to me that the ratio of idiots trying to get to the front of the cabin to deplane generally is in direct proportion to the amount of extraneous crap that they've managed to stuff in the overhead storage.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM

People who also hold up the line (and security lines for that matter) because they are too lazy to check bags and have carry-ons in three different overhead bins also fall into that category.

Partial
08-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Oooo, that is the worst. That might take the cake. People do that all the GD time.

Iron Mike
08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Who's been to the convenience store lately and gotten behind the person that will purchase scratch-off tickets, stand at the counter and scratch them off, then trade in the winners for more scratch-offs?

OMFG. The convenience store is like a convention for people who piss me off. Have you ever seen someone at the convenience store buying doughnuts and a soda with FOOD STAMPS????? :evil:

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 01:09 PM
That's why I don't go anywhere near there unless I'm traveling.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Out of curiosity, what is going to take the place of Java?

It will lose its market share, but it won't be replaced. That's why I said it will be like COBOL. There are so many huge, backend applications that use COBOL. Applications that would cost a fortune to replace. COBOL programmers are set until retirement (our company is looking for MORE COBOL programmers for our huge, old backend application). People will predict Java's demise, but it will hang around for a long time--although at some point it's going to lose market share.

Zool
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Yesterday I was the only car merging. Its a 6 lane and there was no one within 1000 feet of this car in either direction.

Then it should have been easy to merge in front or behind him, no?

Right I had to either accelerate or decelerate when the moron had 2 lanes open to his left.

Partial
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM

It will lose its market share, but it won't be replaced. That's why I said it will be like COBOL. There are so many huge, backend applications that use COBOL. Applications that would cost a fortune to replace. COBOL programmers are set until retirement (our company is looking for MORE COBOL programmers for our huge, old backend application). People will predict Java's demise, but it will hang around for a long time--although at some point it's going to lose market share.

I simply don't see that happening any time soon, though. If anything I'd think its growing. Why do you think its going to begin fading away when the web is just getting rolling and Java plays such a crucial role in web development??

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
According to Career Builder, my company has more employees than Siemens Power Generation about 20%.

Yet, we don't see you posting the name of your company.

Who said anything about power generation.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Dude, when did i ever compare. You asked if i had worked with big companies..i responded.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM

You must work in financials. They aren't using vis cobol?

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I simply don't see that happening any time soon, though. If anything I'd think its growing. Why do you think its going to begin fading away when the web is just getting rolling and Java plays such a crucial role in web development??

I love Java. I've been a Java developer since 1998, but something always comes along. Right now, nothing has really gotten the buzz to replace it. Eventually, there will be. Then, there will be something that replaces that. The nice thing about Java AGAIN is that I don't see it completely going away. Just like COBOL is sitll around--20 years after people started predicting its demise.

Partial
08-03-2008, 06:27 PM

From Wikipedia:
Siemens Power Generation, Inc (SPGI) is a power generation company based in the United States. Run by the German Siemens AG Corporation and formerly considered Siemens Westinghouse, SPGI was formed by the acquisition of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation by the Siemens power generation division. Siemens Power Generation, Inc. has a large number of offices and plants in the United States including Orlando, Florida, Charlotte, North Carolina, Fort Payne, Alabama, and Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Alpharetta, Georgia as well as Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and overseas. Siemens Power Generation, Inc. also runs the Siemens Westinghouse Competition, an international science and technology competition. The organization went through a name change in August 2005 from Siemens Westinghouse to Siemens Power Generation, Inc.

I don't feel the need to have everyone know where I work. What if a coworker posts here too? Who knows. Regardless, if one was truly motivated they could figure it out.

Partial
08-03-2008, 06:32 PM

I love Java. I've been a Java developer since 1998, but something always comes along. Right now, nothing has really gotten the buzz to replace it. Eventually, there will be. Then, there will be something that replaces that. The nice thing about Java AGAIN is that I don't see it completely going away. Just like COBOL is sitll around--20 years after people started predicting its demise.

I agree it will eventually go away. I don't think in the next few years thats a concern, though. I'll always go where the highest rates are and keep contracting around milw and chicago unless somebody offers me some big bucks for a manager/director spot eventually.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM

From Wikipedia:
Siemens Power Generation, Inc (SPGI) is a power generation company based in the United States. Run by the German Siemens AG Corporation and formerly considered Siemens Westinghouse, SPGI was formed by the acquisition of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation by the Siemens power generation division. Siemens Power Generation, Inc. has a large number of offices and plants in the United States including Orlando, Florida, Charlotte, North Carolina, Fort Payne, Alabama, and Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Alpharetta, Georgia as well as Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and overseas. Siemens Power Generation, Inc. also runs the Siemens Westinghouse Competition, an international science and technology competition. The organization went through a name change in August 2005 from Siemens Westinghouse to Siemens Power Generation, Inc.

I don't feel the need to have everyone know where I work. What if a coworker posts here too? Who knows. Regardless, if one was truly motivated they could figure it out.

So, like everything else it is just talk..you have no proof of your company or your size. Or the divisions. What a surprise. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM

I agree it will eventually go away. I don't think in the next few years thats a concern, though. I'll always go where the highest rates are and keep contracting around milw and chicago unless somebody offers me some big bucks for a manager/director spot eventually.

Nobody is ever going to offer you those positions if you are contracting.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

I can't wait until you hit the real world.
:D

falco
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM

we are all holding our breath for that moment...

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM

From Wikipedia:

That's nice, P, but that list of locations is on the other end of the country from where Ty lives. It'd be a hell of a commute. Here's the crazy thing about big companies, they have subsidiaries and umbrella companies. Sometimes there are even complete separate companies that do different things yet share a common name...

Making assumptions on too little information bugs me btw...

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM

From Wikipedia:

So, like everything else it is just talk..you have no proof of your company or your size. Or the divisions. What a surprise. :roll:

What the hell are you talking about? You asked where I got the company from. So I went and got it from Wikipedia by googling Simions Westinghouse. God damnit Ty. I said from CAREER BUILDER, not Wikipedia.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Nobody is ever going to offer you those positions if you are contracting.

Thats funny because our two VPs, two of the three directors, and three of the 5 managers were all contractors before being hired in. Funny funny funny how one might assume. What is the best way to build contacts?!? According to those guys, the best way to make money is to contract young then settle in at like 40ish into a management spot. That way you're always making the big bucks.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:22 PM

From Wikipedia:

That's nice, P, but that list of locations is on the other end of the country from where Ty lives. It'd be a hell of a commute. Here's the crazy thing about big companies, they have subsidiaries and umbrella companies. Sometimes there are even complete separate companies that do different things yet share a common name...

WTF? He said he worked for Siemens Westinghouse. Since that no longer exists, I posted a wikipedia entry explaining how the new company was formed. Also, he said he lived in FL. I see Orlando on there. You guys are slow and that irritates me.

The point of posting that is to show what company name I looked up. And yes, my company is larger and I think thats funny. Not that it really matters, but whatever.

Zool
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Not that it really matters, but whatever.

Thats the fucking understatement of eternity. Why don't you 2 just sword fight already and save us all 6000 pages of BS to sift through.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM

? I really don't get whats unrealistic to justify your statement. I'd love to hear an explanation.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 11:19 PM

From Wikipedia:

WTF? He said he worked for Siemens Westinghouse. Since that no longer exists, I posted a wikipedia entry explaining how the new company was formed. Also, he said he lived in FL. I see Orlando on there. You guys are slow and that irritates me.

The point of posting that is to show what company name I looked up. And yes, my company is larger and I think thats funny. Not that it really matters, but whatever.

He lives in Arizona. Pay attention.

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM

From Wikipedia:

He lives in Arizona. Pay attention.

I know. He said he lived in FL and formerly worked for said company. Regardless, its stupid. I don't know why Ty is bitching to me about how bad something is and blah blah blah, only for them to realize this and go around and correct their error. Irregardless :lol: , who cares how big the company is that one works for? By Milwaukee standards its a very large company. And what difference does that make anyway?!?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM

From Wikipedia:

What the hell are you talking about? You asked where I got the company from. So I went and got it from Wikipedia by googling Simions Westinghouse. God damnit Ty. I said from CAREER BUILDER, not Wikipedia.

I was referring to YOUR COMPANY dipshit. Your numbers, your internship, etc. Like everything else...lot of talk from you...but, no proof. Feel free to PM your company...can't wait to hear your excuse as to why you can't do that either. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I know. He said he lived in FL and formerly worked for said company. Regardless, its stupid. I don't know why Ty is bitching to me about how bad something is and blah blah blah, only for them to realize this and go around and correct their error. Irregardless :lol: , who cares how big the company is that one works for? By Milwaukee standards its a very large company. And what difference does that make anyway?!?

Bitching? You asked me if i had worked at a large company...not vice versa. I never inquired as to your size or anything.

When provided a list of my companies you said yours was larger. I never speculated on your employer.

Error: right..you posted in on saturday. More like you made it up...like most of what you write.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM

I'd keep your mouth shut harv..you may be working under partial sooner than your realize. :roll:

Zool
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I never inquired as to your size or anything....you said yours was larger.

More like you made it up...like most of what you write.

As the Homoerotic Overtone Turns.

Zool
08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd keep your mouth shut harv..you may be working under partial sooner than your realize. :roll:

In today's episode, they try to bring a third into the equation. Will the menage-a-trois be rebuffed by Harvey? Is Harvey into that sort of thing. Stay tuned.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm here, i'm queer...GET USE TO IT!!

Zool
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM

All I want to know is...does size matter?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Of course not...just keep telling yourself that.

HowardRoark
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM

More to the point....who the hell cares about a size of a company? On what level does it matter in the least bit?

Why not work for a start up and get comped in stock?

Zool
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I meant the companies...sheesh your mind is in the gutter.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM

More to the point....who the hell cares about a size of a company? On what level does it matter in the least bit?

Why not work for a start up and get comped in stock?

I never suggested size of a company mattered.

Stock: Most tech people won't fly with that anymore...fool me once.

Partial
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM

Bitching? You asked me if i had worked at a large company...not vice versa. I never inquired as to your size or anything.

When provided a list of my companies you said yours was larger. I never speculated on your employer.

Error: right..you posted in on saturday. More like you made it up...like most of what you write.

Meh, I switched to a mac and I never set up lotus notes in Parallel's so I rarely check my webmail. Thats a dumb thing to say. I am not making it up. That would be ridiculous. Does it really matter anyway?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know...i never asked you questions about working for a company. :oops:

I never posted my complaints about my company.

I never posted things without giving some specifics.

Still waiting for your company...or do they have specific policy against you contributing to message boards. :roll:

Partial
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Still waiting for your company...or do they have specific policy against you contributing to message boards. :roll:

I highly doubt they do, but I am a lot less PC here than I am in person and there in lies the problem. Ironically, I saw a fellow developer had PackerChatters book marked in Safari. Now the question is do I want to point him here and potentially blow my cover? I don't think so.

falco
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM

I highly doubt they do, but I am a lot less PC here than I am in person and there in lies the problem. Ironically, I saw a fellow developer had PackerChatters book marked in Safari. Now the question is do I want to point him here and potentially blow my cover? I don't think so.

especially now that they would discover you are snooping on coworkers computers

Tyrone Bigguns
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM

especially now that they would discover you are snooping on coworkers computers :roll:

Is it poor form to look at another person's bookmarks? :roll:

Partial
08-05-2008, 12:47 AM

especially now that they would discover you are snooping on coworkers computers :roll:

Is it poor form to look at another person's bookmarks? :roll:

What the fuck? I was sitting there talking to him at his computer when he popped them up... Christ... Gimme a break. Sometimes I really hate this place and the douchebaggery that occurs..

Scott Campbell
08-05-2008, 01:53 AM

Not everybody got fooled. :D

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 02:29 PM

What part of "most" didn't you understand?

I wasn't implying anything about me. I worked for one startup...still around...http://www.channelintelligence.com/...fundamentally sound business plan.

But, the vast majority of tech people didn't make out well with options. Either the startups failed, prices were under water, etc.

SkinBasket
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
What the fuck? I was sitting there talking to him at his computer when he popped them up... Christ... Gimme a break. Sometimes I really hate this place and the douchebaggery that occurs..

It is what you make it.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM

I don't understand any of it Tyrone. It's one of them big words I struggle with. :cry:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM

I don't understand any of it Tyrone. It's one of them big words I struggle with. :cry:

My fault...i shouldn't expect much from someone who ends a sentence with a preposition. :wink:

Scott Campbell
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM

My fault...i shouldn't expect much from someone who ends a sentence with a preposition. :wink:

Just like you shouldn't expect much from stock options if the company is dumb enough to hire you. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM

Just like you shouldn't expect much from stock options if the company is dumb enough to hire you. :lol:

Ty never took stock options...ty ain't stupid. Only stock options i've ever taken are those from companies that aren't startups...the usual 15% discount.

Ty would prefer salary and invest in solid tech companies. Ty did very well with cisco, oracle, applied materials, etc.

MJZiggy
08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh admit it, Ty. You got owned on that one. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh admit it, Ty. You got owned on that one. :lol:

I guess...if you wanna start with stock options...the whole thing is ridiculous as i never suggested them, never said i ever received them...etc.

falco
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
is douchebaggery even a word? it sounds pretty fucking gay to me

Iron Mike
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
That's why I don't go anywhere near there unless I'm traveling.

I don't know where else you could go to get Horny Goat Weed. :shock:

http://www.troohealthcare.com/images/horny_goat_weed.jpg

MJZiggy
08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Dunno, Mike, I don't need the stuff personally... 8-)

Iron Mike
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Dunno, Mike, I don't need the stuff personally... 8-)

Me neither, but if you go to the convenience store, you're gonna see that stuff right by the check-out.

Partial
08-06-2008, 12:10 AM

You know, I sat down today and talked to a VP, a director and an architect today to get their opinion on this. All of which said the best way to get ahead is to contract around and stay up on the technology. That way, if you're good, you can be involved in the creation of apps, not just the maintenance portion of them. By being involved in the creation, not only do you see and experience the process from start to finish, but you gain valuable leadership. They all said the risk to reward easily pays off if you work hard and you're good, and if thats what you want.

With that said, those guys know their shit and are what I consider very successful. The one problem I see is they are routinely putting in 12-14 hour days during our sprint phases on development, and like 10 on a regular day at least.

Zool
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM

You know, I sat down today and talked to a VP, a director and an architect today to get their opinion on this. All of which said the best way to get ahead is to contract around and stay up on the technology. That way, if you're good, you can be involved in the creation of apps, not just the maintenance portion of them. By being involved in the creation, not only do you see and experience the process from start to finish, but you gain valuable leadership. They all said the risk to reward easily pays off if you work hard and you're good, and if thats what you want.

With that said, those guys know their shit and are what I consider very successful. The one problem I see is they are routinely putting in 12-14 hour days during our sprint phases on development, and like 10 on a regular day at least.

The downside to contracting is, your job can be gone for no reason. No need to fire a contractor, just ask them to not come back anymore.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2008, 01:37 AM
The downside to contracting is, your job can be gone for no reason. No need to fire a contractor, just ask them to not come back anymore.

Plus, if you interview poorly, you're fucked.

Partial
08-06-2008, 01:42 AM

Precisely right, thats why you've got to be good so you can get another job. Also, you're typically compensated accordingly. Realistically, I could bill out at 40 an hour once I have my degree with my experience, but if I was salaried I'd probably get about 50k.

Certainly it has its ups and downs, but if you're good with saving money and planning accordingly, you can make some bank.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
50k...but, you told us before you would be making 60.

Whatever you decide to do...there is no way you will go from contracting to manager or director. Those jobs are obtained by working for the company..and putting in time.