PDA

View Full Version : Favre willing to take packers offer?

falco
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/31/favre-willing-to-take-packers-offer.aspx

the truth comes out about the offer - Murphy made it back in March, and told Favre last night that it still stands REGARDLESS of whether he comes back

I think its a classy move by the organization in light of all the anger between parties

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow..So it's true we can throw around 20 million to Favre for not even playing but we can't pay Ryan Grant more than a couple million to be our starting RB? Unreal.. :roll:

falco
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow..So it's true we can throw around 20 million to Favre for not even playing but we can't pay Ryan Grant more than a couple million to be our starting RB? Unreal.. :roll:

big difference....

paying favre 20 million isn't to keep him from playing - its to keep him involved with the franchise and making money for the team long term, to help it remain profitable...its a BUSINESS decision

overpaying a RB with 1/2 a decent year who isn't a UFA for another 3 years, thats a football decision

MOBB DEEP
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
BRING BACK WOLF!!

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM

You obviously don't know much about NFL contracts. Grant's deal included 1.75 in guaranteed money. That does not include the many millions in incentives to be earned. We don't know how many millions it was, but I'd assume for a 6 year deal it's at least 20 million or more that he could earn.

Besides, you are still looking at this as a bribe. It's not. Nor is it unprecedented, as others have already mentioned.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM

big difference....

paying favre 20 million isn't to keep him from playing - its to keep him involved with the franchise and making money for the team long term, to help it remain profitable...its a BUSINESS decision

overpaying a RB with 1/2 a decent year who isn't a UFA for another 3 years, thats a football decision

Maybe so, but I can't see Favre taking the money to do that. He wants to play football and claims it's never been about the money. God knows he shouldn't need any.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
There is some thought that the gesture was made to allow Favre a chance to consider how the Packers feel about him in the long-term. The contract offer is not dependent on Favre retiring and would be available to him when he retired even if he played for another team this year.

Yes, that's a nice little "job" for Favre. :roll: Packers will make a lot of money in addition to keeping Favre off the field.

I really hope he doesn't agree to something like this. ....well, if it's true he really wants to play, which I think is the case.

SkinBasket
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Maybe so, but I can't see Favre taking the money to do that. He wants to play football and claims it's never been about the money. God knows he shouldn't need any.

I thought this made it clear that this money isn't related to his playing football. I guess people will continue to think the worst even after they've jumped to conclusions and then got proven wrong. Oh well, keep those umbrellas handy. The sky will fall one of these days, I'm sure.

falco
07-31-2008, 10:26 PM
There is some thought that the gesture was made to allow Favre a chance to consider how the Packers feel about him in the long-term. The contract offer is not dependent on Favre retiring and would be available to him when he retired even if he played for another team this year.

Yes, that's a nice little "job" for Favre. :roll: Packers will make a lot of money in addition to keeping Favre off the field.

I really hope he doesn't agree to something like this. ....well, if it's true he really wants to play, which I think is the case.

i don't understand GB007 - they won't keep Favre off the field - the deal is good even if he plays for the vikings this year

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
BRING BACK WOLF!!

:clap:

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 10:27 PM

If it's true that the offer is still on the table even if Favre plays a couple seasons with the Bucs or the Jets then I absolutely DO hope he agrees to it.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM

You obviously don't know much about NFL contracts. Grant's deal included 1.75 in guaranteed money. That does not include the many millions in incentives to be earned. We don't know how many millions it was, but I'd assume for a 6 year deal it's at least 20 million or more that he could earn.

Besides, you are still looking at this as a bribe. It's not. Nor is it unprecedented, as others have already mentioned.

I know plenty about NFL contracts. I'm talking about the guaranteed money. You can't assume the incentive money is going to be paid since it hasn't and may not even be earned.

falco
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM

If it's true that the offer is still on the table even if Favre plays a couple seasons with the Bucs or the Jets then I absolutely DO hope he agrees to it.

i'm afraid some people are going to see what they want to see :roll:

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 10:29 PM

So they with give him the $20 million to accept a trade?

falco
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM

what part of it is hard to understand? they will give him $20 million to be an ambassador for the team AFTER he concludes his nfl career - regardless of whether he plays for the vikings, retires tomorrow, or plays as the backup for the packers for 5 more years

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
i don't understand GB007 - they won't keep Favre off the field - the deal is good even if he plays for the vikings this year

I seriously can't believe he REALLY wants to play for anyone but the Packers. I can't help but think all the other talk is just revenge for feeling kicked to the curb. TT may suspect that as well.

I hope he doesn't take the deal.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:32 PM

I thought this made it clear that this money isn't related to his playing football. I guess people will continue to think the worst even after they've jumped to conclusions and then got proven wrong. Oh well, keep those umbrellas handy. The sky will fall one of these days, I'm sure.

No idea what you're talking about. Clearly the Packers are hoping he'll take this gig and decide to NOT play football right? Yea yea they said if he plays he can still take this deal, but one would think they're hoping he takes this deal and forgets about playing right? I thought this was fairly obvious.

boiga
07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
I seriously can't believe he REALLY wants to play for anyone but the Packers. I can't help but think all the other talk is just revenge for feeling kicked to the curb. TT may suspect that as well.

I hope he doesn't take the deal.Why not? It guarantees that no matter who Favre plays for this year, he'll be a packer again when he retires. The fences will be mended and everyone will get along.

What's not to like?

No idea what you're talking about. Clearly the Packers are hoping he'll take this gig and decide to NOT play football right? Yea yea they said if he plays he can still take this deal, but one would think they're hoping he takes this deal and forgets about playing right? I thought this was fairly obvious.No no no, if he plays for another team, he still gets the money. It just means that when he's done playing, he'll be back working for the packers again.

This has nothing to do with playing or retiring. It just will help mend the fences when Favre hangs up his helmet.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
No idea what you're talking about. Clearly the Packers are hoping he'll take this gig and decide to NOT play football right? Yea yea they said if he plays he can still take this deal, but one would think they're hoping he takes this deal and forgets about playing right? I thought this was fairly obvious.

Maybe he takes the deal and then goes to the Jets. Maybe this deal is a good incentive for him to quit pushing his release (so he can go to the Vikings). Apparently, Bus and the Jets have been talking today.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 10:35 PM

what part of it is hard to understand? they will give him $20 million to be an ambassador for the team AFTER he concludes his nfl career - regardless of whether he plays for the vikings, retires tomorrow, or plays as the backup for the packers for 5 more years

ahh dont kill me! i get i get it!

:lol:

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Only in America

falco

sorry chevelle, my frustration was not intended for you --- i understand you were being inquisitive.

CaliforniaCheez
There are no sure things in this saga.

Chevelle2
07-31-2008, 10:37 PM

sorry chevelle, my frustration was not intended for you --- i understand you were being inquisitive.

no hard feelings my man!

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:40 PM

I think you both are missing out on what the real agenda is here for the Packers. Why would Murphy go all the way down there to renew this offer if they weren't hoping he'd take this deal and agree not to play. Why wouldn't Cook acknowledge the deal was offered if Murphy wasn't urging Brett to do this and not play. Think what you want, but I think it was worded this way in an attempt to bribe Favre into not playing, but worded carefully as too not appear as a bribe. Sure other past NFL players were offered this like you say, but were the circumstances similar? Were they also wanting to come back to their old team and play but not wanted? It's apples and oranges and you can't make that comparison.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:42 PM
They made the offer before, and Favre didn't accept it. Maybe the stipulation was that he stay retired. Maybe this time they said you can take the money and play football. You just have to go to a team that we would be okay with. That way Favre gets this $20M, stays associated with the Packers, and he gets his huge salary also.

imscott72
07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
They made the offer before, and Favre didn't accept it. Maybe the stipulation was that he stay retired. Maybe this time they said you can take the money and play football. You just have to go to a team that we would be okay with. That way Favre gets this $20M, stays associated with the Packers, and he gets his huge salary also.

I guess what I'm saying is if Murphy renewed the deal with stipulations like you said, such as "you have to go to a team we choose", how is that not a bribe? I guess the timing is what makes me suspicious. Why now do they choose to do this when it seems their only goal is to get rid of him so he can't come to camp? I can't help but think there were stipulations attached, but we'll probably never know unless Brett of course tells them to "shove it" and goes public with what was offered.

boiga
07-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I think you both are missing out on what the real agenda is here for the Packers. Why would Murphy go all the way down there to renew this offer if they weren't hoping he'd take this deal and agree not to play. Why wouldn't Cook acknowledge the deal was offered if Murphy wasn't urging Brett to do this and not play. Think what you want, but I think it was worded this way in an attempt to bribe Favre into not playing, but worded carefully as too not appear as a bribe. Sure other past NFL players were offered this like you say, but were the circumstances similar? Were they also wanting to come back to their old team and play but not wanted? It's apples and oranges and you can't make that comparison. He didn't go down to renew the offer. He went down to try to find a way to get Brett to stay away from camp while they worked on a trade.

While he was down there, he just let Brett know that the deal that he offered in March, and talked about through June still stood whether he played for another team or not. There was no reason to bribe back in March, so considering that this is the same deal as then, it's no bribe.

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Why stop there if your Brett or Bus? The stipulations keep falling by the day.

Next thing the org does will offer a team to take Favre and we'll pay his salary (or we'll package him up with Grant to 'liven' up the deal). ANYTHING to 'make this go away'.

Or maybe a full time look-a-like so he can only commit to appearances when he feels like it....

:roll:

Here's a thought. Let him compete for the starting QB position and see what happens. So you piss off Rodgers - why not trade him for some value and have Favre groom Brohm/Flynn for another year or two.

Nah - too easy....

:oops:

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I guess what I'm saying is if Murphy renewed the deal with stipulations like you said, such as "you have to go to a team we choose", how is that not a bribe? I guess the timing is what makes me suspicious. Why now do they choose to do this when it seems their only goal is to get rid of him so he can't come to camp? I can't help but think there were stipulations attached, but we'll probably never know unless Brett of course tells them to "shove it" and goes public with what was offered.

I don't see it as a bribe. The relationship had deteriorated. This is a way to make Favre know how much the Packers care about him AND it allows him to play football this year. As mad as I've been with Brett, I doubt he doesn't want to have an assocation with the Packers after he retires. The situation had gotten into a box. The Packers were willing to trade Brett, but not to Minnesota. Brett wanted to stick it to the Packers and wanted to go to Minnesota. This is a compromise, and the Packers organization and Brett repair their relationship. I think this solution would be quite brilliant.

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:51 PM

:bclap:

Maybe Brett did tell them that. Didn't the reports say he left the meeting 5 hours or so before Murphy did?

GrnBay007
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM

Next thing the org does will offer a team to take Favre and we'll pay his salary (or we'll package him up with Grant to 'liven' up the deal). ANYTHING to 'make this go away'.

Or maybe a full time look-a-like so he can only commit to appearances when he feels like it....

Here's a thought. Let him compete for the starting QB position and see what happens. So you piss off Rodgers - why not trade him for some value and have Favre groom Brohm/Flynn for another year or two.

Nah - too easy....

:tup: Nice Fosco!

OR give that extra 20 mil they have laying around to Rodgers to keep him happy while Brett starts. :D

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I could root for Brett if he was on the Jets.
:D

According to "this source," the offer was extended in March... shortly after Brett retired. If it's true and it's accepted, I'd be thrilled.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/298859

GREEN BAY -- The Green Bay Packers' much-publicized 10-year, $20 million offer to Brett Favre was part of an ongoing negotiation on a long-term marketing and licensing agreement between the club and its quarterback -- and not a last-ditch attempt to pay Favre to stay away from training camp, according to a source close to the negotiations...

ESPN reported later Thursday that Favre acknowledged he was in negotiations with the Packers and was seriously considering the offer. A source close to Favre confirmed to the State Journal the quarterback is contemplating accepting the deal and could do so soon.

Other Hall of Fame-caliber quarterbacks signed similar agreements with their teams -- including Dan Marino with the Miami Dolphins, Jim Kelly with the Buffalo Bills and John Elway with the Denver Broncos -- after their careers ended, so such a deal with Favre would not be unusual.

Citing sources close to Favre, WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported Wednesday night that during the meeting Murphy presented Favre and Cook with an offer in which the Packers would pay Favre $2 million per year over the next 10 years to stay retired.

The report intimated the offer was a new development in the ongoing Favre saga, which began when Favre informed coach Mike McCarthy June 20 he was considering a comeback and the club wasn 't as receptive to the idea as Favre had hoped.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Nah - too easy....

Because Rodgers is too good a QB to trade away. Because at this point Rodgers is more valuable to Green Bay than Favre, since Rodgers is 25 years old and Favre is 39. Because there's a greater chance that Rodgers will win a SB for us before his career is over than that Favre will.

Besides, Favre didn't "groom" Rodgers, MM did. Favre didn't want anything to do with that one, remember? What makes you think he'll change his tune for Brohm or Flynn?

Point is, Rodgers IS groomed. He's not completely raw like Brohm or Flynn, and there's no guarantee Favre stays beyond this season to bring them along even if he wanted to. What happens if Favre gets hurt - yes I know it hasn't happened but that doesn't mean it can't, especially after taking an unusual amount of time off - but what if he gets hurt and we don't have Rodgers to back him up anymore. Brohm fails, Flynn is overwhelmed, and we're screwed.

This isn't about doing whatever makes Favre happy. It's about making the transition from Favre to Rodgers as smooth as possible, because that is what is best for the Packers.

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM

According to "this source," the offer was extended in March... shortly after Brett retired. If it's true and it's accepted, I'd be thrilled.

GREEN BAY -- The Green Bay Packers' much-publicized 10-year, $20 million offer to Brett Favre was part of an ongoing negotiation on a long-term marketing and licensing agreement between the club and its quarterback -- and not a last-ditch attempt to pay Favre to stay away from training camp, according to a source close to the negotiations...

ESPN reported later Thursday that Favre acknowledged he was in negotiations with the Packers and was seriously considering the offer. A source close to Favre confirmed to the State Journal the quarterback is contemplating accepting the deal and could do so soon.

Other Hall of Fame-caliber quarterbacks signed similar agreements with their teams -- including Dan Marino with the Miami Dolphins, Jim Kelly with the Buffalo Bills and John Elway with the Denver Broncos -- after their careers ended, so such a deal with Favre would not be unusual.

Citing sources close to Favre, WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported Wednesday night that during the meeting Murphy presented Favre and Cook with an offer in which the Packers would pay Favre $2 million per year over the next 10 years to stay retired.

The report intimated the offer was a new development in the ongoing Favre saga, which began when Favre informed coach Mike McCarthy June 20 he was considering a comeback and the club wasn 't as receptive to the idea as Favre had hoped.

Marino, Kelly, Elway --- didn't play for another team (even though Kelly was offered something with the Ravens). They were (are) part of the face of their franchises. Brett will always be extremely special to GB - but him playing on another team tarnishes to a degree.

Fosco33
07-31-2008, 11:11 PM
What happens if Favre gets hurt - yes I know it hasn't happened but that doesn't mean it can't, especially after taking an unusual amount of time off - but what if he gets hurt and we don't have Rodgers to back him up anymore. Brohm fails, Flynn is overwhelmed, and we're screwed.

Might be safer to say switch the above statement (Rodgers gets hurt instead).... how are we any different?

Regardless of Favre situation -- are we really more comfortable with Rodgers/Brohm/Flynn instead of Favre/Rodgers/Brohm or Rodgers/Favre/Brohm or Favre/Brohm/Flynn (or other) ?

Packers4Ever
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM

It must be a whole lot more important to keep Favre out
than it is to keep Ryan Grant in. Never thought I'd
be saying that

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
What happens if Favre gets hurt - yes I know it hasn't happened but that doesn't mean it can't, especially after taking an unusual amount of time off - but what if he gets hurt and we don't have Rodgers to back him up anymore. Brohm fails, Flynn is overwhelmed, and we're screwed.

Might be safer to say switch the above statement (Rodgers gets hurt instead).... how are we any different?

Regardless of Favre situation -- are we really more comfortable with Rodgers/Brohm/Flynn instead of Favre/Rodgers/Brohm or Rodgers/Favre/Brohm or Favre/Brohm/Flynn (or other) ?

Given that everything that the coaching staff has planned and the players have practiced so far this offseason has been done with Aaron Rodgers at QB while Favre has been tossing balls to high schoolers for a couple weeks, I'll take my chances with Rodgers. Besides, it's not simply about this season. If we were to trade Rodgers, he wouldn't be here next season when we probably would rather have Rodgers starting instead of Brohm. Furthermore I believe that as long as Rodgers can get over the injury bug he's going to be a star in this league, whether it's as a Packer or for someone else. I saw him in college, I've seen his progression from a green as grass rookie to a guy who coulda pulled it off in Dallas last year with a little defensive help. I'm ready to see him start.

You are right, we probably won't win a super bowl this year with Rodgers. Since we haven't won one with Favre in over 10 years, I don't think he'd do it for us either. In fact, I'm pretty sure about that. So I'd rather go with the unproven than the one who's proven to be unsuccessful in January as of late.

vince
08-01-2008, 06:27 AM

I'll be thrilled too to get this over with. While there's more to this than Brett has acknowledged in his text message, Packer Nation will be eager to accept his portrayal of this whole series of events.

This ego-driven kamikaze mission has done a lot of damage to Brett - and made it more difficult for the Packers to succeed. Although I'll probably be able to forgive Brett for this ridiculousness in time, I won't soon forget it. What a fucking fiasco this has been.

Kudos to Mark Murphy for re-introducing the big picture perspective and the opportunity for Brett to end the damage he's been doing to himself and the team. This is a big feather in his cap.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 06:47 AM

I am guessing that would be a giant no-no with the NFL. That is supposed to be a non-football job and not subject to the salary cap. No way can it be an incentive to do what the Packers want football wise. No way in the world if you think about it and it's implications.

vince
08-01-2008, 06:55 AM
That doesn't have to be part of "the deal" since the Packers control that already anyway.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 07:00 AM
That doesn't have to be part of "the deal" since the Packers control that already anyway.

Are you kidding? Issuing a non-football contract with a football stipulation?

As you say, they have control where they send him or if they cut him so they better not even hint it's contigent. That would be a massive no-no.

I don't think they'd make that mistake.

vince
08-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Not sure what you think I'm saying, but there doesn't need to be any football related stipulations in the deal. The Packers control Brett Favre's destiny without including any football related stipulations in this deal.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Not sure what you think I'm saying, but there doesn't need to be any football related stipulations in the deal. The Packers control Brett Favre's destiny without including any football related stipulations in this deal.

Oh ok. I misunderstood you. Yea, no need to screw around with illegal payments. I agree, they control the football side and the 20 mil is a non-football contract. They do not in any way relate, and can't relate.

RashanGary
08-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Right they're offering this to Favre with not strings attached to show him how much they appreciate what he's done and how much they want him around in the future. It's a goodwill gesture during a tough time and a smart buisness decision going forward.

Brett doesn't have to listen. He can take the offer and then go right back to forcing his way to Minnesota, collecting the 20 mil after he retires. It will still be hard for the Packers during camp. It will still be a circus and people will still be frustrated with the way everything his playing out and still anxious for a resolution. Nothing will change except Favre will have taken an extra 20 mil.

That said, I think it's more likely that the good will gesture may have softened Brett up. I don't think he really "wants" to play for the Vikings but he's so pissed that he wants to get back the people who told him no. After this he might have calmed down a little and if he's still dead set on playing maybe he won't be so dead set on sticking it to the current Packer management by creating a circus and a no-win situation like he is now.

vince
08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
It has been made infinitely clear, and with a lot of credibility, that the Packers will not under any circumstances release Favre to allow him to play for the Vikes.

They'd rather take the heat by allowing him to come to camp and hold for Crosby or play catch with the water boy.

Fritz
08-01-2008, 08:24 AM

I luv ya, 007, but we couldn't be further apart on this one. I found Cook's quote at the end of the JSO article most interesting: "If he was given his release, there's no guarantee he'd go anywhere to play," Cook said. "However, he'd have the freedom to choose if he should decide to play."

This is revealing to me. I don't know that Favre really wants to play. He wants to be able to play if he so chooses. Makes me wonder if that's what this is all about. If the Packers do what Favre wants ("Sure, Brett, you can walk into camp any time and we'll make you the starter and worship you!" or "We've moved on but we'll give you your release even though we'd be getting screwed"), he might be happy and just say "okay, just wanted to get what I wanted. I don't really want to play."

imscott72
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Again you can't compare those other scenarios with Brett's because these other QB's weren't trying to force their way back to play. It may be a similar offer, but slightly different circumstances.

prsnfoto
08-01-2008, 08:43 AM

I luv ya, 007, but we couldn't be further apart on this one. I found Cook's quote at the end of the JSO article most interesting: "If he was given his release, there's no guarantee he'd go anywhere to play," Cook said. "However, he'd have the freedom to choose if he should decide to play."

This is revealing to me. I don't know that Favre really wants to play. He wants to be able to play if he so chooses. Makes me wonder if that's what this is all about. If the Packers do what Favre wants ("Sure, Brett, you can walk into camp any time and we'll make you the starter and worship you!" or "We've moved on but we'll give you your release even though we'd be getting screwed"), he might be happy and just say "okay, just wanted to get what I wanted. I don't really want to play."

Makes complete sense he wants to play for the packers or he wants to see if Brady or Manning or Romo breaks a leg in pre-season and he can chose the best spot for him, that may well be Minnesota but I don't think Brett went into this wanting to go to the Vikings that has all been media driven.

imscott72
08-01-2008, 08:46 AM

You can't honestly believe he doesn't want to play can you? Why all the contact with Bevell and Chilly? Why go put his family through this entire mess if he doesn't really wanna play? He definitely wants to play, I think what he's unsure about it whether he wants to actually play with a team of the Packers choosing.

Fritz
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM

You can't honestly believe he doesn't want to play can you? Why all the contact with Bevell and Chilly? Why go put his family through this entire mess if he doesn't really wanna play? He definitely wants to play, I think what he's unsure about it whether he wants to actually play with a team of the Packers choosing.

Yes, I can. Look at Cook's quote. Look at the part I've put into boldface. I believe Favre still doesn't know if he wants to play - he wants to be able to play.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Nah - too easy....

:oops:Again, Favre refuses to compete. What don't you understand about that?

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Again, Favre refuses to compete. What don't you understand about that?

Again, Favre has asked about competing...but the Packers are not open to a competition. Rodgers is their QB, and there will be no competition.

I'm fine with that...but stop with the notion that Favre isn't willing to compete. The Packers aren't willing to let him compete, because they've made their decision already.

Chevelle2
08-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Again, Favre has asked about competing...but the Packers are not open to a competition. Rodgers is their QB, and there will be no competition.

I'm fine with that...but stop with the notion that Favre isn't willing to compete. The Packers aren't willing to let him compete, because they've made their decision already.

Foxnews. "Come in as a backup"

Favre: "Why?"

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM

I'm fine with that...but stop with the notion that Favre isn't willing to compete. The Packers aren't willing to let him compete, because they've made their decision already.Again the one saying they won't let him compete is Favre himself and he hasn't exactly been a man of integrity lately. Until Mike McCarthy states on the record that Favre can't compete, I won't believe it. I don't take any shit from Favre as truth anymore. you'd be wise to do the same in this issue.

Edit: Spelling

GBRulz
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Maybe this question has already been asked, but would this $20 million dollar payout count towards their salary cap? Or is it just taken out of their reserve fund type of thing?

boiga
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Again the one saying they won't let him compete is Favre himself and he hasn't exactly been a man of integrity lately. Until Mike McCarthy states on the record that Favre can't compete, I won't believe it. I don't take any shit from Favre as truth anymore. you'd be wise to do the same in this issue.

Edit: SpellingI agree with the Leaper on this one. There will be no competition because M3's already confirmed that Rodgers will be the starter for the preseason games. Also, there a lot of good reasons to not allow for a competition, not the least of which is whether Brett would accept the coaches decision if he lost.

So, open competition at that position is a bad idea and M3 is right not to allow it.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Again the one saying they won't let him compete is Favre himself and he hasn't exactly been a man of integrity lately. Until Mike McCarthy states on the record that Favre can't compete, I won't believe it. I don't take any shit from Favre as truth anymore. you'd be wise to do the same in this issue.

Edit: SpellingI agree with the Leaper on this one. There will be no competition because M3's already confirmed that Rodgers will be the starter for the preseason games. Also, there a lot of good reasons to not allow for a competition, not the least of which is whether Brett would accept the coaches decision if he lost.

So, open competition at that position is a bad idea and M3 is right not to allow it.Yeah he has, but that by no means says there is no competiton. That just means Rodgers is the forst one out there. You are reading into McCarthy's words. Until McCarthy states ON THE RECORD, that there is no competition, it is just another Favre BS ploy.

Zool
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Maybe this question has already been asked, but would this $20 million dollar payout count towards their salary cap? Or is it just taken out of their reserve fund type of thing?

It would be a non-football contract so it wouldnt count towards the cap. Its pretty much a front office job.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
This would be the best of all possible solutions.

Favre would stay retired with no possibility of playing for anybody else, and if Rodgers got injured or whatever, I would certainly think Favre would get the call.

It just doesn't get any better than that--if it happens.

boiga
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Zool, pft disagrees with you.

FAVRE MARKETING DEAL COULD COUNT AGAINST CAP
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 1, 2008, 11:13 a.m.

If Brett Favre does, in fact, take the $20 million deal that some call a marketing agreement and others call a bribe, the money the Packers pay Favre could count against the team’s salary cap.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that while the case is so unusual that there’s no definitive rule governing it, mutliple NFL executives believe that the money paid to Favre would have to be considered in salary cap calculations. The reason is that the Packers would be deriving a football benefit, namely, keeping Favre off both their own team and other teams.

It is so far unknown how, exactly, such a deal would be structured. If the deal is, as reported, a 10-year, $20 million contract, would Favre count $2 million year against the Packers’ cap until 2017 — assuming that there is a salary cap in 2017? Or would part of the deal consist of the Packers paying Favre his base salary this season, and counting that $12 million against the cap this year’s cap?

We don’t know, because there’s never been a case quite like this one. But it’s an issue that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would have to resolve before any deal could be finalized. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/01/favre-marketing-deal-could-count-against-cap/

So if there is a stipulation against playing for another team as part of the deal, odds are that it would count against the cap. This certainly supports JSO's angle that the deal has no relation to Favre's retirement discussion. I think zool is more likely right than PFT.

DonHutson
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
It sounds like the money would kick in when Favre retires, but it seems to be just speculation that Favre has to retire now to get the money. In fact, it's been pretty clearly stated that the money could kick in later if he decides to still come back.

So basically this is just a pat on the head to say "See, we still love you Brett. $20 million worth. Now if you still want to play for the Vikings to show us up, we still won't let you. So work with us on a trade or take your money and stay home."

It's a good move by Murphy to take some of the edge off the conflict. It's too bad this first hit the media as a bribe. The Packers once again got burned by trying to protect their and Brett's privacy.

sheepshead
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/07/31/2008-07-31_brett_favre_doesnt_fly_to_green_bay_quas.html

basically says Brett's not going to NYC.

sheepshead
08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
against the cap?? that's ridiculous. Do Edger Bennett's and James Campens salaries count against the cap too. That's nutty speculation.

digitaldean
08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
against the cap?? that's ridiculous. Do Edger Bennett's and James Campens salaries count against the cap too. That's nutty speculation.

If it's worded in a contract that he can't play for another team, then I could see. But then the NFLPA would scream bloody murder about it if that was the case.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes later today (HOPEFULLY). I don't think the commish wants this to drag out through HOF weekend. I doubt he wants to get dogged about this reinstatement all weekend.

Guiness
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM

I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't entirely work. Think of this scenario:

Favre accepts the 'non-football contract', but decides he still wants to play, and shows up in camp! The the Packers are stuck paying him his salary in addition to this money, or have to cut him!

I think the rising possibility of this happening is why Murphy went down.

Zool
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM

I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't entirely work. Think of this scenario:

Favre accepts the 'non-football contract', but decides he still wants to play, and shows up in camp! The the Packers are stuck paying him his salary in addition to this money, or have to cut him!

I dont see how anyone who will not be playing football at all this season could count against the cap. He's not in IR or PUP or practice squad. Coaches dont count against the cap but the Packers derive a "football benefit" from their coaching.

boiga
08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
I dont see how anyone who will not be playing football at all this season could count against the cap. He's not in IR or PUP or practice squad. Coaches dont count against the cap but the Packers derive a "football benefit" from their coaching.It all hinges on whether Brett's staying retired for 2008 is written into the contract. The Packers are getting a "football benefit" by keeping Favre's rights and keeping him retired, which would normally never be allowed by the NFLPA.

However, if Favre still has complete liberty to play this year but the deal comes into play whenever he DOES retire, then there is no "football benefit" from the deal. So whether or not this deal was arranged to act as a bribe to keep Brett retired, the final wording is going to give him complete liberty to screw over the Packers this year while still getting paid by them next year.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I dont see how anyone who will not be playing football at all this season could count against the cap. He's not in IR or PUP or practice squad. Coaches dont count against the cap but the Packers derive a "football benefit" from their coaching.It all hinges on whether Brett's staying retired for 2008 is written into the contract. The Packers are getting a "football benefit" by keeping Favre's rights and keeping him retired, which would normally never be allowed by the NFLPA.

However, if Favre still has complete liberty to play this year but the deal comes into play whenever he DOES retire, then there is no "football benefit" from the deal. So whether or not this deal was arranged to act as a bribe to keep Brett retired, the final wording is going to give him complete liberty to screw over the Packers this year while still getting paid by them next year.How could Brett "screw the Packers". This deal would not start until he retires. If he continues to play he gets no money from the Packers for it until he stops again.

Sparkey
08-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Nah - too easy....

Because Rodgers is too good a QB to trade away. Because at this point Rodgers is more valuable to Green Bay than Favre, since Rodgers is 25 years old and Favre is 39. Because there's a greater chance that Rodgers will win a SB for us before his career is over than that Favre will.

Besides, Favre didn't "groom" Rodgers, MM did. Favre didn't want anything to do with that one, remember? What makes you think he'll change his tune for Brohm or Flynn?

Point is, Rodgers IS groomed. He's not completely raw like Brohm or Flynn, and there's no guarantee Favre stays beyond this season to bring them along even if he wanted to. What happens if Favre gets hurt - yes I know it hasn't happened but that doesn't mean it can't, especially after taking an unusual amount of time off - but what if he gets hurt and we don't have Rodgers to back him up anymore. Brohm fails, Flynn is overwhelmed, and we're screwed.

This isn't about doing whatever makes Favre happy. It's about making the transition from Favre to Rodgers as smooth as possible, because that is what is best for the Packers.

Also keep in mind, last year rosters were much larger than they are this year. Now the beginning of camp has a strict 80 man roster. I believe last year it was significantly higher. Meaning, if Favre comes to camp, they would need to cut a player to make room.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Also keep in mind, last year rosters were much larger than they are this year. Now the beginning of camp has a strict 80 man roster. I believe last year it was significantly higher. Meaning, if Favre comes to camp, they would need to cut a player to make room.

I don't believe it was significantly higher last year, but teams did receive roster exemptions for guys that played in NFLE. I think the Packers had 5 or 6 guys in NFLE last year.

It's the 80th guy on the roster. You only carry a 53 man roster. There will probably be cuts at the bottom end of the roster even before they have to get down to a 53 man roster. Hardly a big deal.

vince
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Brett can show up to camp, and this deal could still be in place - or not if Brett doesn't agree to it. They may wait until he officially retires to execute this agreement, but they certainly wouldn't have to. They are separate issues. As Ras said, there is no way that the Packers could (in writing) get away with making this deal contingent on his retirement or accepting a trade that they approve.

Brett could come in, work out individually or with the team - or he could wait until Rodgers either got hurt or was ineffective to return to the team - or he could wait until a team of his choosing makes an offer to his liking. All of this is independent of the spokesman/marketing/merchandising agreement being discussed.

In the end, the Packers still control Favre's destiny, unless they release him, which they've repeatedly said they will not do.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Brett could come in, work out individually or with the team - or he could wait until Rodgers either got hurt or was ineffective to return to the team .

I sure wish he could just join the team and be the goddamn backup. I understand why The Legend doesn't want to, but it wouldn't be so bad, people would admire him for it.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 09:24 PM
The contract doesn't need to say he can't play for anybody else because the packers still have the rights to him through 2010. I suppose he could go elsewhere then, but 2011 for the Vikings, that's pretty far-fetched.

This contract would be the ultimate insurance policy--assuming they can pull it off and not have Brett end up pissed off, as the only team he could play for is the Packers--if needed because of an injury.

Get it done! It's the best solution all the way around.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:44 AM

big difference....

It's true...I've been a big Favre supporter, but if he takes the money, it's leaves a salty taste....Why, unless he's bullied, would he take the $2 million a year, when he could make $12 million this year and play? Makes no sense unless they got dirt on that Chumura pool party. :shock: