PDA

View Full Version : Come On Down, errrrr UP - Bubba !

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Franks out to rebound
Last season was painful for tight end

By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com

Posted: June 9, 2006
Green Bay - Late last August, Bubba Franks was sitting on top of the world
After an injury-plagued 2005 season, Bubba Franks hopes to return to Pro Bowl form in 2006.

He was coming off another productive season, saw an at-times acrimonious contract negotiation result in a $28 million deal and expected to see his role as the Green Bay Packers' No. 1 tight end expand as a result.

So forgive him if he's still a bit taken aback by how quickly he tumbled from that perch.

Over the course of the next three months, knee, back and neck injuries reduced him to a shell of his former Pro Bowl-caliber self and eventually forced him to the sideline altogether as the Packers suffered through their worst season in 14 years at 4-12.

"I guess when it hits, it hits hard," Franks said after practice Friday. "I just had to (deal with it). I had no choice. It was very frustrating. It was actually the first time I ever had to sit on the sideline and not play; not start, at that."

Franks forged a reputation as one of Green Bay's most reliable offensive weapons over the course of the previous four seasons, having gone to the Pro Bowl from 2001-'03 and caught seven touchdowns in 2004, tops among NFC tight ends.

He'd also been one of the most durable, having played in all 80 games in his previous five seasons in Green Bay.

Both traits took a hit early in the 2005 season, though.

First, he managed seven catches for just 42 yards and no touchdowns in the Packers' first two games, both losses.

Then, after suffering a bruised left knee late in that second contest, Franks was inactive for the next two games and played a solitary play in the third as he recovered.

Over the next four games appeared to be rounding into shape by making 18 catches for 164 yards and a touchdown.

Then a vicious hit by Philadelphia Eagles safety Brian Dawkins knocked him off course. Franks wound up being carted off the field with a back injury in the midst of a 19-14 Packers loss.

Franks was cleared by team doctors in the days that followed and he returned to the starting lineup the next week at Chicago.

But on the Packers' first possession, Franks was again drilled by a defender - this time Bears linebacker Lance Briggs - who knocked him out of the game as well.

Franks was diagnosed with a neck stinger, and his back was also affected. And after being deactivated the next two games he was finally put on injured reserve, ending his season.

It was a disappointing conclusion, especially considering the investment the Packers had made in him.

Franks' $7 million signing bonus was tied for the fifth-largest in team history, and the $28 million worth of the seven-year deal made him the highest-paid Packers tight end as well.

"People are going to say what they're going to say, whether you're healthy or you're hurt," Franks said. "I don't really worry about that. I know the Packers have enough confidence in me to give me that contract, so they're not going to lose faith in me over one year."

Adding fuel to the fire was the fact Franks missed all of the team's off-season minicamps and workouts and also the first four weeks of training camp after the Packers placed the transition tag on him.

"It was difficult sitting on the sideline," he said. "Now as far as the injuries go, I don't think it had anything to do with me not being here."

His one-day delay in arriving for Green Bay's current 14-day session of voluntary practices aside, Franks - like the rest of his offensive teammates - has been slowly trying to integrate himself into coach Mike McCarthy's version of the West Coast offense.

Although it's difficult to get a read so far on what his role might be, it appears as though the 6-foot-6, 265-pounder won't find himself campaigning for more opportunities, as he did at times last year.

"I have no complaints as of this point," he said. "They're actually going to put the tight end in every different position - even the backfield - and that means we're going to be involved more. We're even going to be split out more. It will be every single position that you can put a tight end in and still run the play."

Helping matters for Franks is that new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is already well aware of what Franks can do.

The two worked together from 2000-'03 when Jagodzinski was the Packers' tight ends coach.

"What I see in Bubba is he's a short to medium guy in the passing game," Jagodzinski said. "He's a guy that can move the sticks for you and get first downs, and that's really what you want tight ends to be able to do. He's a superb blocker. He's really going to be good on the edge for our running game."

It's all music to the ears of Franks, who is eager to try and return to Pro Bowl form.

"All I can do is look forward to this year, and I'm hungry," he said. "I feel like I left a lot of football out there on the field last year."

From the June 10, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

swede
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
It's good to hear that even the mild-mannered Franks wants to strap it on and return to Pro-Bowl form.

In recent years other teams have driven us crazy with tight ends that don't seem nearly as athletic as Bubba, and Brett has always been at his best when he spreads the ball around to receivers who know where the hell they're going.

This year let's get the tight ends involved and give the other team's defense something to think about other than Donald Driver for once.

BlueBrewer
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Bubba is a great weapon, and I am really hoping that Mcarthy follows through with the claim that the tight ends will be a bigger part of the offense. Bubba had 10 touchdowns a few years back, and that was whern he was only used in the red zone. He needs to be used.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Bubba is a great weapon, and I am really hoping that Mcarthy follows through with the claim that the tight ends will be a bigger part of the offense. Bubba had 10 touchdowns a few years back, and that was whern he was only used in the red zone. He needs to be used.

There was some speculation at this time last Off Season, that one of the reason's that Bubba was not signed, was his malcontent over not being utilized more on the "O", than as primarily a blocker, which as we are aware of, he excells at.

Bubba may not have the speed to stretch the field, but I agree, Bubba Franks should be used more in OUR offence, than just the red Zone primary or bale out receiver on passing downs.

Bubba may certainly feel that he is under utilized at TE.