PDA

View Full Version : Brett's Text Message to ESPN

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
ESPNews just showed a text message from Brett to ESPN's Ed Werder.

He said he is contemplating taking the offer from the Packers (which ESPN is now reporting could be closer to $25M to match his salary for the next 2 years). He said the solution seems awkward, but sort of went out of his way to give Mark Murphy credit for trying to offer up a solution. He said that his intentions were to play for the Packers, but they said no. He said he told them that then he wants to play for a team in the division "for obvious reasons". He told them that if you don't want me playing for you, then let me play against you.

The message was interesting in that I think it's the first time he's went out of his way to almost praise somebody in the Packers organization, but also basically admitted that he wants to play for the Vikings (or Bears, but it seems likely it's the Vikings) if he can't play in Green Bay.

I think it's apparent that he thought he could come back any time and the team would welcome him with open arms. That didn't happen, and he was upset (which is somewhat understandable, but I still don't know how he couldn't see this happening after he retired, unretired, and retired again). It made him upset enough to want to play for the Vikings so he could stick it to the Packers for not accepting him back.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Here's the message:

"There isn't a perfect solution to this, but [Packers president] Mark Murphy is at least trying," Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder via text message on Thursday night. "We know what they want and where I stand. His solution, although awkward and unsettling for most, may be the best in the end.''

"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay," Favre told Werder. "They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am.''

BallHawk
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Seems reasonable, but I just can't see it ending this way. Favre takes the offer and sits out the season in Mississippi? I can't see it.

Gunakor

He said he is contemplating taking the offer from the Packers (which ESPN is now reporting could be closer to $25M to match his salary for the next 2 years). He said the solution seems awkward, but sort of went out of his way to give Mark Murphy credit for trying to offer up a solution. He said that his intentions were to play for the Packers, but they said no. He said he told them that then he wants to play for a team in the division "for obvious reasons". He told them that if you don't want me playing for you, then let me play against you.

The message was interesting in that I think it's the first time he's went out of his way to almost praise somebody in the Packers organization, but also basically admitted that he wants to play for the Vikings (or Bears, but it seems likely it's the Vikings) if he can't play in Green Bay.

I think it's apparent that he thought he could come back any time and the team would welcome him with open arms. That didn't happen, and he was upset (which is somewhat understandable, but I still don't know how he couldn't see this happening after he retired, unretired, and retired again). It made him upset enough to want to play for the Vikings so he could stick it to the Packers for not accepting him back.

It's like I thought. It's not just about playing football. It's about proving a point.

Someone's ego is indeed running wild, but it's not Ted Thompson's.

digitaldean
The old saying "truth is stranger than fiction" is definitely holding true in this situation.

I thought that he'd flatly turn them down on the merchandising deal.

For all intents and purposes it'd be $20-25 million to put him out to pasture.

It would be an odd end, to say the least, of a HOF career.

Tarlam!
07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
For Favre to save face in this scenario, he'd need to donate his earnings to charity.

I also believe a few apologies from Favre's camp are in order, but it's still pretty damned hot in Hell.

pacfan
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
I think Chris Mortensen is pissed he was scooped by Ed Werder

bobblehead
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
was it bretsky that said if they thought he would take this offer they don't know the first thing about brett favre??

Well, it seems they aren't the only one who doesn't know him... :oops:

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 11:44 PM
was it bretsky that said if they thought he would take this offer they don't know the first thing about brett favre??

Well, it seems they aren't the only one who doesn't know him... :oops:

Bretsky probably thought it in the wrong context. If this were just a simple bribe, proposed in late July in response to the media circus, there's no way in hell Favre takes it. If this is a way of allowing him to be a Packer for life, presented to him after his retirement in March as is now being reported, that's a different story altogether. Now it doesn't sound like a bribe, rather a reward. Especially since Murphy said the offer is still on the table even if Favre plays for another team. I could see Favre accepting that one.

boiga
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Weirdness.... The espn blog is directly contradicting the JSO analysis.

JSO is saying that this is a 2 million dollar a year deal for 10 years that Favre can accept whether he retires or not.

This is what ESPN is saying:
The Vikings won't get that chance, however, if Favre accepts an offer from the Packers to serve in a marketing role for the organization. According to ESPN's Wendi Nix, he would receive $12 million in 2008 and $13 million in 2009 under the agreement, which would prevent him from seeking future reinstatement to the NFL. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-178/Favre-can-t-find-his-way-to-Minnesota.html

So ESPN is still calling this a bribe to keep brett retired, JSO says the deal was thought up BEFORE Brett ever retired.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778769

The ESPN people are hacks, so I definitely would trust JSO's "NFL source who wanted the Packers' side to be explained" more... but wow. Someone is going to have to write a lengthy retraction tomorrow.

vince
08-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Here's the message:

"There isn't a perfect solution to this, but [Packers president] Mark Murphy is at least trying," Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder via text message on Thursday night. "We know what they want and where I stand. His solution, although awkward and unsettling for most, may be the best in the end.''

"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay," Favre told Werder. "They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am.''
I sure hope this is the beginning of the end. While the events throughout the offseason demonstrate that this simplistic portrayal does not give the whole picture, it's a way for Brett to save face and for the team to finally get past this.

This does not explain all of Brett's misdirection plays with the team prior to June 20... Why were there multiple accounts of Bus Cook inquiring throughout the league for interest in Favre in early April? April Fool's joke?

And if Brett JUST wanted to get revenge over TT for not allowing him back to the Pack in late June, then he should have opted to play for the Bucs. He would play against the team this year and quite possibly in the playoffs... Oh yeah, it's too hot in Tampa...

Kiwon
08-01-2008, 07:17 AM

It's like I thought. It's not just about playing football. It's about proving a point.

I have not been ODing on the Farve saga but I must say that it is a shock to have him acknowledge that if he can't start for the Packers that he wants to stick it to the Packers by playing within the division.

After a HOF career and the talk of team, team, team, is Brett's ego really bigger than $25 million to just do what he said he was thinking of doing for several years - just fade away?

I didn't buy Farve's biography a few years ago and I'm glad. The revised edition is going to have a few extra chapters in it about what I'm guessing is a form of male menopause. His recent bizarre behavior is so contradictory to the image that he chiseled for himself for 17 years.

I never would have imagined that his career would have taken the turn it has. I hate to say it but the shine of being "the most respected player in football" is really coming off fast, IMHO.

Zool
08-01-2008, 07:23 AM
This is either inaccurate, a longer than 1 txt conversation or they have a very different phone service than I do. I cant get nearly that many characters into a single txt.

sheepshead
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
By the way, who else thinks Brittney sent it under dads direction?

LL2
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
At least the money deal keeps Favre a Packer for life. Favre has to admit and be realistic that some of his demands are not realistic business moves by the Packers. I think the $20 million is more of an extremely nice gesture by the Packers than a bribe.

Fritz
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
No doubt, Sheeps. Probably has lots of "LOL's" and "WFTF's" in it.

The more this goes on and the more that is revealed, the more I think this isn't so much about Favre wanting to play as it is about Favre's ego. Check out this Bus Cook quote:

"If he was given his release, there's no guarantee he'd go anywhere to play," Cook said. "However, he'd have the freedom to choose if he should decide to play."

Okay, it's frickin' August 1st, and he still doesn't know if he wants to play??

sheepshead
08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
No doubt, Sheeps. Probably has lots of "LOL's" and "WFTF's" in it.

The more this goes on and the more that is revealed, the more I think this isn't so much about Favre wanting to play as it is about Favre's ego. Check out this Bus Cook quote:

"If he was given his release, there's no guarantee he'd go anywhere to play," Cook said. "However, he'd have the freedom to choose if he should decide to play."

Okay, it's frickin' August 1st, and he still doesn't know if he wants to play??

That would appear to be a direct result of the unexpected lack of interest around the NFL I suspect.

Zool
08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
A sampling

Favre "wut up e-wern lulz"

Werner "what?"

Favre "ttly h8in on TT atm"

Werner "what?"

Favre "MN FTW!"

Werner "what?"

MOBB DEEP
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
By the way, who else thinks Brittney sent it under dads direction?

LOL

Tony Oday
08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
They did the same thing With Dan Marino so why not Favre?

imscott72
08-01-2008, 08:51 AM

Yep it sure seems that way now. Brett doesn't give a rats ass how Packer fans would feel with him playing in purple as long as he proves his point and gets a chance to stick it to the green and gold. Man he must really hate Thompson.

sheepshead
08-01-2008, 08:52 AM
A sampling

Favre "wut up e-wern lulz"

Werner "what?"

Favre "ttly h8in on TT atm"

Werner "what?"

Favre "MN FTW!"

Werner "what?"

:lol:

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM

JSO is saying that this is a 2 million dollar a year deal for 10 years that Favre can accept whether he retires or not.

The Vikings won't get that chance, however, if Favre accepts an offer from the Packers to serve in a marketing role for the organization. According to ESPN's Wendi Nix, he would receive $12 million in 2008 and $13 million in 2009 under the agreement, which would prevent him from seeking future reinstatement to the NFL. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-178/Favre-can-t-find-his-way-to-Minnesota.html

So ESPN is still calling this a bribe to keep brett retired, JSO says the deal was thought up BEFORE Brett ever retired.

The ESPN people are hacks, so I definitely would trust JSO's "NFL source who wanted the Packers' side to be explained" more... but wow. Someone is going to have to write a lengthy retraction tomorrow.Im not one to defend ESPN but in this case Ill make an exception. In no way do I think ESPN is reporting this as a bribe. That is all in preception. THey are reporting an offer. All they are not reporting is when it was initally offered. BUt in no way is ESPN reporting this as a bribe.

digitaldean
08-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Listen to PFT (though I am considering more of their "journalism" skills dubious) and they out right say it is a bribe.

At this point, I'm thinking its the best case scenario for the Packers absent a trade to an AFC team. I am not thrilled because of what it can be perceived as. But considering it's there regardless if Favre plays or not this year makes it more palatable.

Chevelle2
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM

The ESPN people are hacks, so I definitely would trust JSO's "NFL source who wanted the Packers' side to be explained" more... but wow. Someone is going to have to write a lengthy retraction tomorrow.Im not one to defend ESPN but in this case Ill make an exception. In no way do I think ESPN is reporting this as a bribe. That is all in preception. THey are reporting an offer. All they are not reporting is when it was initally offered. BUt in no way is ESPN reporting this as a bribe.

But can he go to another team or not? JSO is saying yes, ESPN is saying no.....

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Listen to PFT (though I am considering more of their "journalism" skills dubious) and they out right say it is a bribe.

At this point, I'm thinking its the best case scenario for the Packers absent a trade to an AFC team. I am not thrilled because of what it can be perceived as. But considering it's there regardless if Favre plays or not this year makes it more palatable.PFT are shit stirrers trying to get hits to their podunk website. They mean nothing.

boiga
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
But can he go to another team or not? JSO is saying yes, ESPN is saying no..... Yes, that's the vital difference here. If JSO is right, then this is a noble offer to help mend the bridges no matter what Brett's choice is about retirement.

If ESPN and Florio are right, the Packers are acting like right douchebags by paying Brett off to retire and then lying about it to JSO.

I like option 1. a lot more, but right now it's ESPN's source vs JSO's source, so we really can't analyze their credibility. Hopefully the Packers will openly clear this up some time today.

BallHawk
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Both sources, ESPN and JSO, have been wrong before.

Just gotta keep on waiting.

If Favre isn't reinstated today I'll be peeved. Goodell can't keep on putting it off.

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Both sources, ESPN and JSO, have been wrong before.

Just gotta keep on waiting.

If Favre isn't reinstated today I'll be peeved. Goodell can't keep on putting it off.SUre he can, He's the commsih, he can do what he wants. I wouldn't be suprised if he held off unti Monday(for obvious reasons).

oregonpackfan
08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't buy Favre's biography a few years ago and I'm glad. The revised edition is going to have a few extra chapters in it about what I'm guessing is a form of male menopause. His recent bizarre behavior is so contradictory to the image that he chiseled for himself for 17 years.

I never would have imagined that his career would have taken the turn it has. I hate to say it but the shine of being "the most respected player in football" is really coming off fast, IMHO.[/quote]

Well stated, Kiwon. I share your reflections.

This is what M3 referred to as Favre "tarnishing his legacy."

LL2
08-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Yep it sure seems that way now. Brett doesn't give a rats ass how Packer fans would feel with him playing in purple as long as he proves his point and gets a chance to stick it to the green and gold. Man he must really hate Thompson.

I think it's come down to a battle of wills and Favre's ego. Favre is sticking to his guns and wants to be the one that wins. Favre is pissed the Packers will not let him play for GB, so he wants to play for another team in the division so he can beat the Packers twice. You know what, at this point I don't care anymore if he plays for the Vikings. Let's see which team gets the wins and is smiling at the end of the year. Facre could have a good year like last year or a real stinker like the year before.

Pugger
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
If Brett REALLY wanted to play this season he could've gone to the Bucs or Jets (but I don't blame him for not wanting to go to NY) but it appears Favre poo-pooed those trades. :roll: I thought somebody on the radio this morning said the Packers would bring back Brett - if he signs this deal - if something should happen to Aaron....?? :?: Did you of you guys hear this or am I mistaken...? :huh:

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay. They say 'no,' so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am."

What are the "obvious reasons" that Favre is referring to here? So that he can get revenge against Green Bay? And why does Favre think he is entitled to play in the NFC North? He is under contract to Green Bay, they have a right to protect their interests. He sounds like a child.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-178/Favre-can-t-find-his-way-to-Minnesota.html

motife
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Doesn't Favre all but come out and say in the message he WAS tallking to Bevell and Childress about becoming a Viking wiithout the permission of the Packers?

It's now obvious that was what the cell phone calls concerned.

mission
08-01-2008, 06:36 PM
i was very against him going to MN at first but as some of you say, who cares now...

lets go, we'll settle it on the field. i honestly still think we'd be the better team.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm sure TT views things differently, mission. He plans for all possibilities.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay. They say 'no,' so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am."

What are the "obvious reasons" that Favre is referring to here? So that he can get revenge against Green Bay? And why does Favre think he is entitled to play in the NFC North? He is under contract to Green Bay, they have a right to protect their interests. He sounds like a child.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-178/Favre-can-t-find-his-way-to-Minnesota.html

His "obvious reasons" could be that many think the Queens with Favre would be SB locks....and he wants to win another SB. He knows the Packers are good enough to go with him and thinks Minny is in the same class...just a Favre short. Of course we know all kinds of thing can go wrong along the way. I cant believe he would want to play in Minny just to stick it to TT...which of course is GB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
His "obvious reasons" could be that many think the Queens with Favre would be SB locks.....

OK. well then of course the PAckers should never let Favre get to MN if this is potentially true.

I cant believe he would want to play in Minny just to stick it to TT...which of course is GB.

MM probably cast the decisive vote in rejecting Favre.

gbgary
08-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I sure hope this is the beginning of the end. While the events throughout the offseason demonstrate that this simplistic portrayal does not give the whole picture, it's a way for Brett to save face and for the team to finally get past this.

i agree about the hope that the end is near. what an ass whoopin'. the personal service agreement let's both sides save face. :roll:

vince
08-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure how the agreement allows the team to "save face." They are still basically rejecting Favre's services regardless of the agreement, which is the sticking point for those who believe they should allow him back as the starting QB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure how the agreement allows the team to "save face." They are still basically rejecting Favre's services regardless of the agreement, which is the sticking point for those who believe they should allow him back as the starting QB.

oh, it's a big win for the team, albeit paid for with a lot of money.

they keep Favre away from Rastak and off Rodger's back. They rebuild relations with Favre, start the healing with public. The option of Favre being the starting QB was simply not going to happen, the PR damage would have been worse if he were on another team, particularly MN.

And an unspoken advantage: Favre waits in the wings, emerges if Rodgers breaks a leg. Favre is sort of a backup without having to be a backup.

I like the outcome a lot!

boiga
08-02-2008, 12:29 AM
oh, it's a big win for the team, albeit paid for with a lot of money.

they keep Favre away from Rastak and off Rodger's back. They rebuild relations with Favre, start the healing with public. The option of Favre being the starting QB was simply not going to happen, the PR damage would have been worse if he were on another team, particularly MN.

And an unspoken advantage: Favre waits in the wings, emerges if Rodgers breaks a leg. Favre is sort of a backup without having to be a backup.

I like the outcome a lot! Actually, if Favre signs the deal now, he will not be allowed to play for the Packers if Rodgers goes down. Here's the JSO analysis: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779074

If Favre signs the deal, there is a "stockpiling" rule that would prevent him from making a comeback this season. Former long snapper Rob Davis spoke of such a rule upon his retirement and acceptance of a full-time job as the Packers' director of player development in March.

There is only a small window through which a player who has a non-playing contract with a club can still apply for reinstatement, but it closes well before the start of the regular season. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that the rule existed and said any player on the reserve/retired list who was employed by a club off the field would not be eligible for the roster after the cut-down to 75 players.

So, if he signs the deal, he can not play for the packers in 2008... however... I'm not sure if he can sign the deal and play for another team... which would be weird to say the least, but not unthinkable.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
No way he signs it...I grew up with hicks, and was watching Sportscenter last night with my buddy and had to rewind it on my DVR when Favre stepped outta Bus Cooks office smiling to get into his truck......A loaded 4 by 4 dirty as all hell with a crusty ass winch on the front bumper. I know rednecks and have many buddies who are, and just gotta say, Favre has made prob. $100 million plus (and spent a few million) and does not care about money (his great great great grandkids will be set) so if he takes this, it's only a realization that he's fucked and it reflects harshly on the shitty decisions our formerly decent GM has made recently.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Actually, if Favre signs the deal now, he will not be allowed to play for the Packers if Rodgers goes down. Here's the JSO analysis: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779074 .

Damn, that's too bad. I haven't been reading other web sites, I rely on packerrats for cutting edge news and analysis. :lol:

NewsBruin
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I was surprised that Brett used capitalization and the word "unsettling" in the text message. I think Breleigh's been stealing the phone again.