PDA

View Full Version : If Favre had never been traded to GB....

Bossman641
08-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I keep reading how the Packers' organization owes Favre, and should release him, or do whatever else is right for Favre.

While I appreciate everything Favre has done for the Packers, let's not forget all that he received back: great coaching, a long leash, adoration of a great fanbase, worldwide fame, a million memories, and hundreds of millions of dollars.

What if the Packers had never traded for Favre. Do you still think he would have become a star?

Favre had a coach (Glanville) who didn't like him. He was 3rd string behind Chris Miller, who had had a Pro Bowl season in 1991, throwing 26 TD's to 18 picks. And he didn't have the correct attitude.

I know there is no way to know how it would have turned out, but I'm just curious what people think. Would Favre's pure talent have made him a star, or would he have fizzled out of the league?

I'm more of the impression that he would have fizzled out of the league, never getting the coaching he needed.

boiga
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Possibly. There is also the aspect that there is only so much trouble that you can get into in Green Bay. If Favre had been in New York with the same lifestyle he had his first few years with us, he could very well be dead by now.

Still, Favre would eventually have been traded or released from Carolina, and he had more than enough raw talent to turn heads back then. So someone would have taken him in. If Favre didn't self destruct from the drugs and booze, he still would have had an illustrious career somewhere else.

DonHutson
08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
It's a two way street. The Packers have done a lot for Favre. They rescued him from a dismal situation in Atlanta, they stood by him when he went to rehab, and oh yeah... they've paid him about a hundred million dollars or so over the course of his career.

Sure Favre did a lot for the Packers, but it's not as though he was never appreciated or compensated adequately.