PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben=Big Bang

Tony Oday
06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Cant find the story jsut going around the office was in a motorcycle accident. CMON GUYS STOP PLAYING WITH MOTORCYCLES!!!!!

red
06-12-2006, 11:49 AM
from pro football talk

ROETHLISBERGER IN "PRETTY BAD" MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Steelers quarterback Ben Roetlisberger has been injured in a motorcycle accident near the 10th Street Bridge in Pittsburgh.

(As of 12:10 p.m. EDT, the Tribune-Review's web site had crashed, apparently due to the enormous spike in traffic.)

The accident occurred at 11:37 a.m. He was not wearing a helmet. A veteran police officer has told WTAE-TV that the accident was "pretty bad."

Per WTAE, Roethlisberger has been taken to the trauma unit at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. There are no specifics as to his condition.

A witness to the aftermath of the accident told WTAE at 12:11 p.m. that Roethlisberger was alert and talking to paramedics, but there was "blood everywhere." The witness also said that Roethlisberger was wearing a neck collar. As of 12:17 p.m., neither the Mercy Hospital officials nor the team would divulge any details.

Another witness told WTAE that Roethlisberger "T-boned" a vehicle, struck the windshield, rolled onto the ground and struck his head on the pavement. His eyes were open but he was very confused and disoriented. He said that he was "okay" and tried to get up.

Roethlisberger was criticized in 2005 for not wearing a helmet, which was revealed after Browns tight end Kellen Winslow wrecked his crotch rocket and suffered a torn ACL and internal injuries.

Said Roethlisberger at the time: "I'm pretty conservative and laid back. I'll just continue to be careful. [W]e always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

There's no indication that Roethlisberger was riding in a group on Monday morning.

Stay tuned.

Pack0514
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Unbelievable, when will they learn?

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
From ESPN

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

red
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
someone made a big deal about this when winslow got in his wreak, and big ben was almost bragging at the time that he wouldn't wear a helmet

red
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
from espn.com

Early indications are injuries not life-threatening
ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

i didn't see yours there bossman, you win the quick draw

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 11:54 AM
How stupid can you be? Just won a Super Bowl, have your whole career in front of you, and you're willing to throw it all away cause you don't want to wear a helmet.

Tony Oday
06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
These GM's in the NFL need to watch the movie The Program. Star QB loves his motorcycle but you need to TAKE IT AWAY. These kids have been pampered and given everything on a silver plater they NEED some father figures to tell them you can and cant do certain things.

red
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
on a side not tony, i would have gone with BIG BEN = BIG BANG, for the title

GoPackGo
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I hope hes ok

Brandon494
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Big Ben is the shit, I hope its not to serious, but when will these guys learn? This is like the 3rd year in a row that big name player has gotten in a accident from a motorcycle crash.

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Updated: June 12, 2006, 1:07 PM ET

Steelers QB Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

SportsTicker
National Football League News Wire

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash at an intersection in downtown Pittsburgh on Monday.

The team has confirmed that Roethlisberger is being treated at Mercy Hospital and is listed as alert and conscious. There is no update on his possible injuries.

The accident occurred at the Second Avenue side of the 10th Street Bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel on Monday morning.

An eyewitness told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Roethlisberger flew into the windshield of the car and hit the ground. He was bleeding from a gash on his forehead before being taken to the hospital.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his motorcycle.

According to the eyewitness account in the newspaper, Roethlisberger was headed outbound on Second Avenue and a car was coming inbound when it made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the motorcycle. The motorcycle then hit the car, causing Roethlisberger to fly off.

At 23 years of age, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl last February. He completed just 9-of-21 passes for 123 yards and was intercepted twice, but rushed for a touchdown in the Steelers' 21-10 win over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.

The 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft, Roethlisberger owns a 27-4 record, including 5-1 in the playoffs, as a starter. He is the first quarterback in the modern era to start a conference championship game in each of his first two NFL seasons.

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

BlueBrewer
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Hopefully he still has the full hair helmet with beard chin gaurd. :wink:

red
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
profootball talkt is now saying he's in serious but stable condition, and he's in surgery

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
profootball talkt is now saying he's in serious but stable condition, and he's in surgery

Details:

POSTED 1:30 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006

ROETHLISBERGER IN SURGERY

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger currently is undergoing surgery for injuries suffered in a Monday morning automobile accident.

Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital declined to offer any details regarding the nature of the surgery.

Roethlisberger is listed in serious but stable condition. Dr. Jones said that Roethlisberger was alert and talking before the commencement of the procedure.

Reporters on WTAE are speculating that Roethlisberger is having surgery to repair jaw injuries.

The Leaper
06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't think it is right for teams to ban their players from being able to ride motorcycles...however, they should be able to force them to wear helmets. Refusing to wear a helmet is ridiculous for anyone...let alone a guy who is worth millions.

Something tells me Ben won't be riding sans helmet in the future.

Little Whiskey
06-12-2006, 01:41 PM
motorcyclist = organ donor!

K-town
06-12-2006, 01:43 PM

donorcycle? :mrgreen:

Rastak
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I hope hes ok

Busted Jaw, cuts that sort of thing per profootballtalk.com. Early word is that's it. But if you saw the picture....OUCH. He's extremely lucky to still be walking the planet.

red
06-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I hope hes ok

Busted Jaw, cuts that sort of thing per profootballtalk.com. Early word is that's it. But if you saw the picture....OUCH. He's extremely lucky to still be walking the planet.is there a picture of it?

Rastak
06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I hope hes ok

Busted Jaw, cuts that sort of thing per profootballtalk.com. Early word is that's it. But if you saw the picture....OUCH. He's extremely lucky to still be walking the planet.is there a picture of it?

espn has a picture of the car, he hit the front quarter panel and then bounced his mellon off the windshield cracking it like you threw a big rock off it.

Lucking he isn't drooling on himself in a home for the rest of his life.

red
06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
dang, i saw it. it looks like his head might have nailed the metal upright on the side of the windshield.

he's lucky as hell right now

Rastak
06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
dang, i saw it. it looks like his head might have nailed the metal upright on the side of the windshield.

Breaking stuff from our pals at PFT.com

Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

red
06-12-2006, 02:18 PM

Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

WOW

injuries to both knees? he's in trouble. so are the steelers right now

they say they're "serious" injuries to both knees

Little Whiskey
06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

okay, i'll say it before anyone else can

"guess he will now be a nascar fan"

red
06-12-2006, 02:20 PM
and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

okay, i'll say it before anyone else can

"guess he will now be a nascar fan"

LOL

he kind of seemed to me that he was a fan before

AtlPackFan
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM

I beg to differ. Motorcycles are no different than any other recreational motorsport like snowmobiles, waverunners and motorboats. With proper training, equipment and common sense, risks are minimized.

If your on a motorcyle without proper instruction, without proper equipment and are goofing around then yes, you might as well sign your donor card now. But if you take the MSF training (and the follow-up advanced training), wear and use the proper equipment and ride defensively, then there is no reason you can't ride safely without incident. I have been riding for 34 years and have never had an accident.

All that said, I hope he is OK and if he was riding without a helmet they better do a THOROUGH examination of his head because he was probably missing a few marbles BEFORE the accident

Rastak
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
This is NOT good......

from pittsburg paper.....

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment. The team planned to issue a statement later Monday, but no one from the team would be made available, said spokesman Dave Lockett, who left the hospital at about 2:40 p.m.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
any word on recovery time. Suck that it happend at all, but REALLY sucks that it happened weeks before training camp. And is there any truth to the fact that he was riding a crotch-rocket? I thought he was a harley guy, but man do i lose respect if he was indeed riding a crotch-rocket.

GoPackGo
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
oh no :cry:

Rastak
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
oh no :cry:

Hey we agree....no matter how bad your day is going today, big Bens is most likely worse.

That's really gotta sting a bunch.

Maybe a guy should wear a helmet AND a golie mask. Geez......

red
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
i'm sorry, but IMO you are not a safe and responsible rider if you are driving THAT bike

and to not wear a helmet on that rocket is just plain stupid

Fosco33
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM

This is bad news for Ben and the Steelers - they're one of the only AFC teams I follow closely. Do they turn to Charlie Batch until/if Ben returns? The Libertarian in me is fine with a person's choice of not wearing a helmet - looks like it would've prevented most of his head injuries but he'd still be inhouse for the knee injuries. Here's to a quick/full recovery.

red
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM

This is bad news for Ben and the Steelers - they're one of the only AFC teams I follow closely. Do they turn to Charlie Batch until/if Ben returns? The Libertarian in me is fine with a person's choice of not wearing a helmet - looks like it would've prevented most of his head injuries but he'd still be inhouse for the knee injuries. Here's to a quick/full recovery.

you know, a helmet might not have helped him a whole lot in this case. he's lucky he's not dead from a serious head injury, but if we look at it the only thing a helmet would have prevented is the gash in the back of his head. the rest is all face injuries.

that is if we are talking about a little helmet and not the full blown thing with a face mask and all

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
seems to me very hypocritical that the law requires you to wear a seatbelt, but not a helmet. Anyone else think that?

Rastak
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
seems to me very hypocritical that the law requires you to wear a seatbelt, but not a helmet. Anyone else think that?

Sure is....

Merlin
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Even though what he did was reckless given his career choice, I pray that he recovers 100%. The really sad part to me is that this happens everyday and yet people don't wear helmets.

Oscar
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I never understood the no helmet laws myself. I've rode for a lot of years and have always wore a full face helmet. Though my bike doesn't have a fairing so one time taking a june bug in the chin at 70 miles per hour made a believer out of me. :wink: A broken leg or arm is one thing. But, a broken brain box.... Thats another. Hope he's ok.

retailguy
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
i'm sorry, but IMO you are not a safe and responsible rider if you are driving THAT bike

I agree Red, you know when you think about it, the steelers should probably sue, shouldn't they?

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
i just don't get it! were responsible enough to ride motor cycles that have no restraint system at all, but were not smart enough to determine if we want to wear a seatbelt at any given time in a vehicle that is much more safe than a little motorcycle even without any type of seatbelt on. i just hope that Big ben recovers 100% and this teaches kids a lesson.

AtlPackFan
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Right now its by state. Georgia requires it. I'm not sure which other state's do or don't. If I remember right, Wisconsin does not.

The question isn't whether or not you should wear a helmet or not but rather whether or not the federal government should MANDATE that you wear a helmet. For many people it is a political issue, not a safety issue. A lot of people fighting a federal law won't get on a bike without one.

Personally, I don't care what the law says. I wear a helmet. To me, not to do so, is just plain stupid.

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM

I'm willing to suggest a difference between the two laws: the helmet law is designed to keep idiots from leaving their own brains on the sidewalk, whereas seatbelt laws are designed to keep the same idiots from driving around with their kids bouncing all over and splattering THEM on the sidewalk. If you wanna kill yourself that's one thing, but there are too many people too stupid to properly restrain their children and the kids shouldn't have to suffer for it.

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
i totally agree, i personally don't ride a bike, but if i did i would never would be cought without one. I just think I should have the choice. Either that or don't mandate the seatbelt law. I think the seatbelt law is in effect because of the vast numbers of cars out their and the massive abmount of revenue that is made for from the fines. pure and simple...not a safety issue, it's amoney issue.

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 03:25 PM
There's that too, but the justification of it comes from saving the lives of 6-year-olds.

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
i can't argue that at all. But that comes to my point that aren't we respnsible enough to make that choice ourselves. Obviously...any non osama bin laden type person would always buckle up their kids. I dunno, I'm just pissed that I can theoretically be pulled over by a cop on a motorclycle for not wearing my seatbelt. talk about bass ackwards

The Leaper
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
The facts are pretty clear that seat belts save lives. I see no problem with the government mandating that we should wear seat belts. I also see no problem with the government mandating the use of helmets for motorcycle riders. You can still choose to not wear the seat belt or helmet...you just will be paying fines for it. How is that any different than taxing alcohol or cigarettes?

Any one who says "I demand to have a choice in wearing my seat belt" is a fool. Every year, thousands of individuals walk away from auto accidents because of seat belts. If you get into a car and don't put one on...you are a damn fool. If you want the choice to be an immature fool...fine. I have the choice to call you an idiot too.

At least Ben now can pick up a new sponsor...Polident.

BigDmoney
06-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Your right leaper, anyone who doesn't put on a seatbealt is a fool and an idiot in my book. Everyone should buckle up because it's flat out moronic not too. But that has nothing to do with having the choice. I have no problem being forved to wear a seatbelt as long as it's equal across the board. You equate fines for not wearing a seatbelt with alcohol tax, well wear is the "tax' or fine for riding a morotcycle? It would save thousands of lives every year if motorcycles were outlawed. As long as I have to pay a fine for putting myself at risk, they should. Obviously i don't want to ban motorcycles, i'm just stating the blatent hypocrisy here.

woodbuck27
06-12-2006, 04:06 PM
FACT SHEET

Motorcycle Helmets

** According to 2005 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,008 motorcycle occupants were killed on our nation's roads last year, an 8% increase from 2003. Motorcycle helmets have been shown to save the lives of motorcyclists and prevent serious brain injuries.

** Twenty states and the District of Columbia require helmet use by all motorcycle drivers and their passengers. Twenty-eight other states have laws only covering some riders, especially those younger than 18. Three states - Colorado, Illinois, and Iowa - have no helmet requirements at all.

** All-rider helmet laws are effective in increasing motorcycle helmet use, thereby saving lives and reducing serious injuries.

Note :

As states repeal helmet laws, fewer riders are wearing helmets. According to the National Occupant Protection Use Survey (NOPUS), conducted from the fall of 2000 to the summer of 2002, helmet use dropped from 71 percent to 58 percent nationally.

Below see the results:

MOTORCYCLIST FACTS

Motorcycles make up less than 2% of all registered vehicles and only 0.4% of all vehicle miles traveled, but motorcyclists account for over 9% of total traffic fatalities. (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, 2005)

Fatalities among motorcycle riders have increased by more than 89% since 1997. (NHTSA, 2005)

In 2004, 66% of fatally injured motorcycle riders were not wearing a helmet in states without all-rider helmet laws, compared with only 15% in states with all-rider helmet laws. (NHTSA, 2005)

Per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are about 21 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash and four times as likely to be injured. (NHTSA, 2001)

In 2003, 36 percent of all motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding, approximately twice the rate for drivers of passenger cars or light trucks. The percentage of alcohol involvement was 40 percent higher for motorcyclists than for drivers of passenger vehicles. (NHTSA, 2003)

Motorcyclist fatalities are rising fastest among motorcycle riders over age 40. In 2003 alone, fatalities increased by 16%. (NHTSA, 2003)

Note :

Helmets reduce the risk of death by 29% and are 67% effective in preventing brain injuries to motorcycle riders. (NHTSA, 2001)

MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAW FACTS

Surveys have shown that helmet use is essentially 100% in places with all-rider motorcycle helmet laws compared to 34 to 54% at locations with no helmet laws or with age-specific helmet laws. All-rider laws significantly increase helmet use because they are easy to enforce due to the rider's high visibility. (NHTSA, 2000)

NHTSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,158 motorcyclists in 2003. If all motorcyclists had worn helmets, an additional 640 lives could have been saved.

The average hospital charge for motorcyclists with serious head injuries was found to be almost three times that of motorcyclists with mild or no head injuries, $43,214 v. $15,528. (Orsay, et al., 1994)

In 1997, Arkansas and Texas repealed all-rider helmet laws. As of May 1998, helmet use fell from 97% in both states to 52% in Arkansas and 66% in Texas. Motorcycle operator fatalities increased by 21% in Arkansas and 31% in Texas. (NHTSA, 2000)

In 1992, the first year of California's all-rider motorcycle helmet law, 327 motorcyclists died in traffic crashes, compared to 512 in 1991 - a 36% reduction in fatalities in one year. Additionally, the number of hospitalized brain-injured motorcyclists fell by over 50%, from 1,258 in 1991 to 588 in 1992. (California Highway Patrol, 1999, Trauma Foundation, 2002)

After passage of Maryland's all-rider motorcycle helmet law in 1992, motorcyclist deaths dropped dramatically - 20% in 1993 and 30% from 1993-1994. (Maryland Department of Transportation)

In Oregon, there was a 33% reduction in motorcycle fatalities the year after the helmet law was re-enacted. Nebraska experienced a 32% reduction in fatalities the first year of its law. Texas experienced a 23% reduction in fatalities; Washington, a 15% reduction; California, a 37% reduction; and, Maryland, a 20% reduction. (NHTSA, 2001)

By an overwhelming majority (80%), Americans favor state laws requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets. (Lou Harris, for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, 2004)

An estimated $13.2 billion was saved from 1984 through 1999 because of motorcycle helmet use. An additional $11.1 billion could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets. (NHTSA, 2000)

Analysis of linked data from the Crash Outcome Data Evaluation System (CODES) in three states with all-rider helmet laws showed that without the law, the total extra patient charges due to brain injury would have been almost doubled from $2.3 million to $4 million.

September 2005

Personal comment:

Any person who would operate a motorcycle without a helmut is really careless with his/her life and acting irresposible towords those who care.

This might be the time to consider the Roethlisberger Law in Professional sports (you imagine the wording) as an entire franchise and it's fans can suffer the loss of smeone as valuable or highly touted as Big Ben not to disregard those who truly love him.

Today the first concern is of Ben and those who love and care for him, but to see a Pro athlete act so irresponsibly and selfishly is something that should be addressed now rather than to make someone the example before the LAW arrives.

Scott Campbell
06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Robin Yount used to ride dirt bikes - right? Didn't he have a clause in his contract regarding that risk?

Fosco33
06-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Food for thought...

A Fatal Freedom: Deaths in motorcycle crashes on rise

By THOMAS HARGROVE
Scripps Howard News Service
25-MAY-06

Deaths in U.S. motorcycle crashes have nearly doubled in a decade, mounting to 4,000 annually, as more states have repealed mandatory helmet safety laws, according to a Scripps Howard News Service study.

One federal analysis concludes that nearly 700 lives could have been saved in one year alone if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.

Yet motorcyclists have become so passionately opposed to mandatory helmet laws that they've formed powerful state and national lobbies, persuaded Congress to muzzle federal highway safety experts and convinced lawmakers in 30 states to roll back their statutes.

Nine of the 10 states with the worst motorcycle death rates don't require adults to wear helmets, according to the Scripps Howard study of records provided by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

Six states, including Florida and Texas, have relaxed their laws since 1997. Motorcycle fatalities quickly went up in all of them. Lawmakers in eight other states are considering rolling back their laws this year.

Helmets spoil the ride for many motorcycle enthusiasts. They say they love the feeling of freedom as the wind whips in their hair. Those killed in wrecks are overwhelmingly white and disproportionately middle-aged and divorced men, according to federal death records.

People on both sides of the issue say men trying to recapture the joys of their youth are spurring the anti-helmet movement.

"I ride without a helmet every chance I get. It's hard to explain the feeling," said Noel LaPorte, a full-time lobbyist in Lansing, Mich., who is in final negotiations with Gov. Jennifer Granholm over a bill making helmets optional for adults. "The feeling is so much freer and more enjoyable."

Helmet use is at an all-time low. Last year, only 48 percent of the nation's riders wore headgear that met U.S. Department of Transportation standards.

"If we really wanted to stop highway deaths, why not make the speed limit 20 mph and force everyone to drive Volvos?" asked Tim Burchett, a Republican state senator from Knoxville, Tenn., who for years has sponsored a helmet-rollback bill. "It's a freedom issue, man. This is still America!"

Nationwide, motorcycle deaths have risen from 2,116 in 1997 to 4,008 in 2004. That increase comes at a time when highway deaths generally are declining because of improved auto safety standards and wider use of seatbelts. There has been a 40 percent increase in the number of registered motorcycles during this period, although the total number of miles driven on motorcycles has declined slightly.

The federal government in 1967 began requiring states to enact mandatory helmet laws to qualify for highway construction funds, and 47 states and the District of Columbia passed such legislation by 1975. But Congress, responding to complaints when the Department of Transportation prepared to take action against non-complying states, revoked the authority to withhold federal funds in 1976.

Motorcycle enthusiasts then began lobbying state legislatures to roll back the helmet laws for adult riders, and 26 states have done that. Four other states don't require adults or children to wear helmets. Louisiana rolled back its law in 1999 but, concerned by the rising death rate, reversed itself and made helmets mandatory again in 2004.
Also helping the anti-helmet cause is the absence of a well-organized opposition. No major interest group has challenged the motorcyclists. A few public health organizations and emergency-room physicians have gone to the microphones during legislative committee hearings to complain of the medical expenses created by motorcycle accidents. But the political passion clearly rests with the anti-helmet forces.

The nation's largest cycling organization, the 278,000-member American Motorcyclist Association, also has been lobbying in favor of rolling back helmet laws for adult riders, even though it also encourages its members to wear helmets.

"Motorcycling fatalities are up nationwide. That's what concerns us," said American Motorcyclist Association spokesman Tom Lindsay. "We encourage helmet use, but neither helmets nor helmet laws can prevent crashes."
Advocates of a helmet rollback say Michigan is losing $1 billion a year because anti-helmet motorcyclists avoid the Wolverine State when touring around Lake Michigan. That position prompted the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association to support the bill on the grounds that motorcyclists were avoiding taverns along the state's borders.

FavreChild
06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
There are so many things in life over which we have no control. The helmet issue is so frustrating because riders *do* have the power to minimize injury but choose not to exercise that power.

Millions of Steeler fans - young and old - have just realized that their hero is not quite so invincible after all. Maybe they will also realize the same truth about themselves.

Best wishes to Ben and all the Steeler fans of the world.

Patler
06-12-2006, 04:25 PM
The facts are also pretty clear that low fat diets extend lives and that obesity shortens lives. Should the government be able to mandate what we eat or how much we weigh?

Should the government intrude on and regulate other dangerous pastimes like mountain climbing, rock climbing, etc. etc.?

I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and would not now ride without a helmet, although I did when I was younger. I feel everyone SHOULD wear a helmet. However, I have never been comfortable with the government regulating to protect us from ourselves. Government should protect us from others, not from ourselves.

AtlPackFan
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
The facts are also pretty clear that low fat diets extend lives and that obesity shortens lives. Should the government be able to mandate what we eat or how much we weigh?

Should the government intrude on and regulate other dangerous pastimes like mountain climbing, rock climbing, etc. etc.?

I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and would not now ride without a helmet, although I did when I was younger. I feel everyone SHOULD wear a helmet. However, I have never been comfortable with the government regulating to protect us from ourselves. Government should protect us from others, not from ourselves.

Shamrock Fan, I agree with you 100% but I think we are in the minority here. :?

FavreChild
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree, also.

We can only give people the power to make informed decisions. The rest is up to them.

retailguy
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Shamrock Fan, I agree with you 100% but I think we are in the minority here. :?

Not so sure you are in the minority.... I agree as well.

MadtownPacker
06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Regardless of laws Big Ben was a Big Pendejo for not wearing a helmet. With that much cash at risk I would be getting driven around wherever I go.

Maybe he was thinking about how much he sucked in the SB.

Badgepack
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Big Ben was tonto loco.

How's that Madtown?

red
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
it now looks like the serious injuries to his knees might just be a serious case of road rash

Tony Oday
06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Im not saying that the government should make the players wear helmets but damn I am saying their employer should!

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
it now looks like the serious injuries to his knees might just be a serious case of road rash

I fell on my blades once and got a tiny little bit of road rash. It burned like you wouldn't believe and that was just a tiny bit. He is going to suffer for this one. Also, I know someone who got into a bicycle accident and broke his jaw. He couldn't eat solid food for weeks and lost 20 lbs. Still it's better than another friend who got into a motorcycle accident and 10 years later still has a limp and nasty scarring or the wonderful man I know who was vaulted from his bike and went face-first into a traffic sign. He was a great guy. I hope Ben makes a full recovery.

Fosco33
06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I haven't been to a Brewer game in like 4 years. Do they still bring out pitchers from the bullpen on a Harley? Do those guys where helmets?

MadtownPacker
06-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Big Ben was tonto loco.

How's that Madtown?

Yup, "crazy dummy", thats what he is for risking mega $$$$.

Packers4Ever
06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
These GM's in the NFL need to watch the movie The Program. Star QB loves his motorcycle but you need to TAKE IT AWAY. These kids have been pampered and given everything on a silver plater they NEED some father figures to tell them you can and cant do certain things.

My husband was under the impression the NFL
used contracts stating certain conditions or
instances being forbidden to players. Haven't verified this.
I hope Ben will be ok and recover rapidly, plain old common
sense would probably have prevented this injury.

Brett doesn't ride cycle, does he ???? :sad:
Jude

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Not that I've seen, but from what I've heard, I sure wouldn't want to get in a car with him driving. :shock: *white knuckles*

billy_oliver880
06-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Not every motorcyclist is out there driving like an idiot. I wear full leathers and a full face helmet and I do not do dangerous manuvers on my motorcycle. Suzuki decided that Ben needed a Hayabusa. It is a promotional stunt. Put the football star on the most recognizable model and it will sell motorcycles. No one ever thought that its necessary to think of the riders abilities...or inablilities. The Hayabusa is the fastest production bike on the road. At 1300 CCs the engine is also one of the largest and has some huge horsepower. In one of the articles it states that the hayabusa is popular with first time motorcycle buyers. Who in their right mind would sell someone a bike that is hard to handle to a beginner is beyond me. This country needs a graduated motorcycle licence system in place. Much like japan. All of the optional helmet laws need to be amended as well. I get real sick of all the SQUIDS ruining the sport that I love. :mad:

billy_oliver880
06-12-2006, 08:25 PM

I agree to. But I also beleive that people sometimes will not listen to reason. If every motorcyclist understood what happens to you when you have massive head trama then we wouldn't have to worry about it. Alot of people will not wear helmets because they aren't comfortable. Alot of people will wear the skull cap helmets out of spite for the laws in their area. True be told these helmets are better then nothing but then again the majority of impacts happen towards the front of a helmet. That is why I wear a full face helmet at all times.

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
If every motorcyclist understood what happens to you when you have massive head trama then we wouldn't have to worry about it. Alot of people will not wear helmets because they aren't comfortable. Alot of people will wear the skull cap helmets out of spite for the laws in their area. True be told these helmets are better then nothing but then again the majority of impacts happen towards the front of a helmet. Is the trouble that people don't understand what can happen, or do they understand and just think that it wouldn't happen to them. I think there are a lot of people out there who fall into the latter category.

billy_oliver880
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
If every motorcyclist understood what happens to you when you have massive head trama then we wouldn't have to worry about it. Alot of people will not wear helmets because they aren't comfortable. Alot of people will wear the skull cap helmets out of spite for the laws in their area. True be told these helmets are better then nothing but then again the majority of impacts happen towards the front of a helmet. Is the trouble that people don't understand what can happen, or do they understand and just think that it wouldn't happen to them. I think there are a lot of people out there who fall into the latter category.

Well I always wonder what these guys are thinking when they pull up beside me with shorts, tank top, and sandals on. With no helmet of course. I don't think these people fell down on the playground when they were little. :roll:

Guiness
06-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Wow - just read this thread. Insane.

Brett doesn't ride cycle, does he ???? :sad:
Jude

Nope. As long as he doesn't start racing Bob Vila on the lawn tractor, we're ok!

BTW BillyO - I see that as well, and think it's insane. The other day I saw a woman shifting gears on a GSX-R750 with heels :shock:

GrnBay007
06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
What a horrible thing to happen. He'll be waking up tomorrow feeling like he was sacked at least 300 times! Lets keep him in our thoughts and/or prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

esoxx
06-13-2006, 01:16 AM
In my younger days I rode motorcycle all the time, and NEVER with a helmet. Hell, I even wore sunglasses at night (Cory Hart) when riding b/c you HAD to have eyewear at least. If I were going anywhere on my bike I had to "look cool." Cruisin' in the summer was a blast, including bar hopping on the bikes.

Well, that was all pretty stupid of course. But now, as Al Bundy made famous, "I'm married with children." I would never think of such behavior. I still have my bike but haven't rode in 10 years. I may again some day but I'll definitely wear a helmet and not be so dumb.

Still, my best friend, who I used to cruise with still rides many miles. He's also married with children. What makes me almost physically ill is he insists on riding w/o a helmet....and here's the worst part...he insists his wife do the same. I've pleaded until I'm blue in the face, even pulling his wife aside on multiple occasions to beg her to at least wear the helmet. They have a 10 year old girl and 6 year old boy. Please at least think of them. But to no avail. You have to realize my friend is very "into himself" and has a trophy wife (as do I :mrgreen: ), and as one of the articles posted mentioned, he's trying to re-live his younger days. Pretty shallow and pathetic I know. Hopefully Ben's accident will shake him to reality, but I know it won't. Sad really.

MJZiggy
06-13-2006, 07:07 AM
What a horrible thing to happen. He'll be waking up tomorrow feeling like he was sacked at least 300 times! Lets keep him in our thoughts and/or prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

I don't want to. I want that road rash to burn like hell for months and he head to throb mercilessly and make it hard to think straight for awhile. I want them to tell him he can't have his teeth back just yet as they'll have to wait a few weeks for the swelling to go down and I want him eating through a straw through his wired-shut jaw for at least 6 weeks. I wouldn't EVER wish someone to go through that except to make absolutely sure that they think LONG and HARD about ever getting on a bike again without a helmet. He's a very public figure and maybe if he becomes the poster boy for what can happen a couple more people will put on helmets and their lives will be spared.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM

When the young uninsured rider who decides against wearing a helmet comes rolling into the ER on a stretcher, should we then just let him die? Or do we have to open our collective wallets to pitch in for his stupidity?

Just playing devils advocate here, as I'm against legislating common sense too.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM

I agree Red, you know when you think about it, the steelers should probably sue, shouldn't they?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of standard dangerous behavior clause in his contract. I think Winslow had one and I know Jay Williams had one.

billy_oliver880
06-13-2006, 08:32 AM
BTW BillyO - I see that as well, and think it's insane. The other day I saw a woman shifting gears on a GSX-R750 with heels :shock:

:shock: :shock: What are people thinking?

The Leaper
06-13-2006, 08:34 AM
My hard earned tax dollars should not be spent on additional emergency workers and vehicles because people want their "right" not to wear helmets or seatbeats.

As I mentioned before...if people want to CHOOSE to not do those things, then they should have no problem paying fines and/or taxes to cover the cost of their choice. It is no different than someone who wants to build a house next to the ocean...they have to accept that their insurance payment will be higher.

Alcohol is taxed. Tobacco is taxed. I have no problem mandating the use of safety equipment in vehicles, and fining those who choose not to obey. If Ben doesn't want to wear a helmet, then pay the fines as you rack them up and shut the hell up.

MJZiggy
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of standard dangerous behavior clause in his contract. I think Winslow had one and I know Jay Williams had one.

Sheftler on NFL.com had it in his column this morning. Evidently there is a clause in his contract for losing playing time to a non-football injury. IF he cannot make it to training camp, they COULD theoretically go after $400K signing bonus and up to 5 mil in other bonuses. They're extremely unlikely to do it according to Shef.

Patler
06-13-2006, 09:03 AM

When the young uninsured rider who decides against wearing a helmet comes rolling into the ER on a stretcher, should we then just let him die? Or do we have to open our collective wallets to pitch in for his stupidity?

Just playing devils advocate here, as I'm against legislating common sense too.

Well, who pays for the Coast Guard rescues of idiots that don't have enough sense to listen to weather forecasts and stay in port or get back to port ahead of the storm? Who pays for the emrgency room care of participant victims in gang violence? Who pays for the rescue of stranded mountain climbers who had to stay out with the blizzard coming, or spelunkers who had to go deeper and deeper into the cave just for fun?

You can ask those kinds of questions almost forever. Individuals in civilized society have always and will always contribute to the support and care of their foolish and ignorant members.

The Leaper
06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
You can ask those kinds of questions almost forever. Individuals in civilized society have always and will always contribute to the support and care of their foolish and ignorant members.

Sure...and they can also support a government willing to force these idiots to pay for their right to be dumbasses.

Climbers going up Everest pay the government huge amounts of money to do so. Many other "high risk" endeavors also come at great personal cost to the person partaking in them.

If you want your "right" to not wear a helmet, then don't gripe and moan about paying hefty fines when you disobey the rules society mandates as common sense. Helmet laws should be mandatory, and those who wish to be stupid idiots can pay for that right.

FavreChild
06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Making a mistake isn't necessarily stupid; not learning from that mistake is.

FavreChild
06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
He'll be waking up tomorrow feeling like he was sacked at least 300 times!

Assuming Ben is able to recover physically, there's still the issue of whether he'll be able to recover mentally. I'd sure be skittish about 300-pound lineman trying to knock my block off.

(Although in my case, that would be true anytime.)

Packers4Ever
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I haven't been to a Brewer game in like 4 years. Do they still bring out pitchers from the bullpen on a Harley? Do those guys where helmets?

Fosco, far as I know the Brewer pitchers still get to the mound on something other than their 2 feet, lol.....I'll have to pay closer attention. Last night at the Cincinnati - Brewer game, the Cin pitchers had to run like heck from the pen to the mound, looked rinky-dinky..... :smile:

Patler
06-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Climbers going up Everest pay the government huge amounts of money to do so. Many other "high risk" endeavors also come at great personal cost to the person partaking in them.

Your Everest example just doesn't work. Everest fees are a foreign country trying to generate income from tourists for an asset they have.

Last I heard there is no big fee paid to climb Mount Hood outside Portland, and there have been a number of rescues required there in the last few years. How much to rock climbers pay in our National and State parks to partake in their dangerous sports?

FavreChild
06-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Nah, they just walk out to the mound - nothing fancy. They haven't done the ride for quite awhile. A few years ago, a rep would ride the cycle around the track to signify a pitching change, but it was not the pitcher himself.

However, if a player hits for the cycle, they get a Harley. (At least that was the case last season.) Not sure if they are actually allowed to ride the Harley they win (don't think anyone has won one).

Zool
06-13-2006, 10:52 AM
OK getting in on this late, but check the report. Ben was going through a green light down a straight road and he hit the left front fender on a car coming from his left? Either she ran straight through the red, or she turned far too wide and into the incoming traffic.

Bike, car, unicycle....you can get hurt doing anything. This is hardly his fault.

Rastak
06-13-2006, 10:59 AM
OK getting in on this late, but check the report. Ben was going through a green light down a straight road and he hit the left front fender on a car coming from his left? Either she ran straight through the red, or she turned far too wide and into the incoming traffic.

Bike, car, unicycle....you can get hurt doing anything. This is hardly his fault.

He was going west, she east and she turned in front of him by the looks of it. She wasn't ticketed so I really don't know who may have been at fault. I would think the Pittsburgh papers would say something on this soon for those that are interested.

Little Whiskey
06-13-2006, 11:02 AM

this is exactly why you must wear a helmet!!

Row 67
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Exactly. The problem with motorcycles is that other drivers typically don't see them and pull out or turn in front of you, merge into you, etc. That's why you need to not only wear helmets, but leather, boots, etc, to protect yourself WHEN it happens. Notice I didn't say IF. My wife had a bike when we first met. After she was the only one left in her group of friends with bikes that hadn't had a serious accident, she got smart and sold it.

They sure are fun, but riding one is like an accident waiting to happen. Another thing- riding in Wisconsin and other rural areas of the US creates another problem- Deer! You've seen what happens when they jump in front of cars. Imagine hitting or being hit by a deer while you're on the highway!

billy_oliver880
06-13-2006, 11:24 AM

From the looks of the bike it looks like he wasn't going slow. It takes some force to break a front wheel.

Tony Oday
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Lets just hope and pray he is OK.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Ben Toothlessberger.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
From PFT:

ROETHLISBERGER NOT A LOCK TO PLAY IN 2006

Although there's optimism in Pittsburgh on Monday night after seven hours of surgery to repair "multiple" facial fractures, there's still no guarantee that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to play football in 2006.

Dr. Michael Kaner, a Pennsylvania dentist and long-time PFT reader, has shared with us some general observations regarding Roethlisberger's potential prognosis. Dr. Kaner has emphasized this his input is hypothetical only, and that he has no information regarding the signal-caller's actual condition.

Dr. Kaner says to keep an ear out for the term "Le Fort" in connection with Roethliberger's facial fractures.

"Le Fort fractures (1,2 or 3) refer to the level of fracture of the upper jaw separating it from the skull," said Dr. Kaner. "If those words are mentioned in any press conference, he's not playing in 2006 regardless of what anybody says."

Dr. Kaner outlined other questions that would be relevant to determining whether Roethlisberger can play this year.

"How many fractures are there and where are they? Obviously, the more fractures there are, the longer the recovery period and the greater risk of complications.

"Is the fracture displaced, that is out of the normal alignment. With the extent of the trauma he experienced, it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the oral surgeons to have to rebuild his jaw and wire it together with titanium plates or screws. If it's a multiple fracture, he could be out all year.

"The other question is whether he fractured his upper jaw. You traditionally think of the lower jaw as being fractured but there can be fractures to the upper jaw, with many complications.

"Is the fracture closed (totally under the skin) or open (bone exposed to the elements substantially increasing the risk of post-operative infection). His other risks are of other teeth needing root canals or if fractured themselves, needing to be extracted.

"While wired shut, he will be on a pure liquid diet, and how will that impact a pro athlete? Not positively I'm sure."

Another source with knowledge of jaw and facial injuries has broken the issue down to a single question. If Roethsliberger's jaw is merely wired shut, he'll miss 6-to-8 weeks. If he has had plates or other hardware inserted into his face, he'll miss a minimum of six months.

As of now, the doctors, the family, and the team know the answer. Within the next 24 hours, our guess is that the rest of us will know it, too.

Rastak
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Another plot twist from PFT:

BIG BEN HAD NO MOTORCYCLE LICENSE

KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reports that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has no license to operate a motorcycle.

Per an unnamed source, KDKA reports that Roethlisberger never took the written or the practical exam necessary for the issuance of a license. Instead, he had a learner's permit that expired on March 29, 2006.

What does it mean? Nothing at all, regarding his injuries and his recovery therefrom. But depending on the manner in which Pennsylvania statutes and case law apply to such matters, Big Ben might be shut out when the time comes to collect insurance money from the driver of the car involved in the accident (if, in the end, she is found to be in any way at fault).

In theory, Roethlisberger could make a valid legal claim against the other driver, if as it appears she made a left turn against oncoming traffic without seeing his motorcycle approaching the intersection. And once her limits of liability insurance are exhausted, Ben could then collect additional money from his own insurance company via the so-called "underinsured motorist" clause.

For example, if the other driver has only $50,000 in bodily injury coverage but the medical bills and the pain and suffering are ultimately determined to be $1 million, Roethlisberger has the right to recover the difference from his insurance carrier -- if he bought up to $1 million in UIM coverage.

But not having a valid license could impact his ability to recover anything. Heck, it's also possible that Ben and his "bad stuff happens to other people, not me" gene didn't even bother to buy UIM coverage on the bike that had been given to him by Suzuki (if indeed he even bought insurance of any kind on it).

Though Roethlisberger presumably has the wherewithal to cover his own medical bills, it could be that the same stupidity that put him on the back of a crotch rocket without a helmet also has put him in a position where any legal rights he might have had against the person who might be found to have caused the accident are rattling in a gutter with his teefs.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-13-2006, 12:03 PM
From PFT:

Man, Campbell, i thought you were smarter than that. Why do you keep believing everything PFT tells you. Only 1 out of ever 20 stories by PFT is credible.

Rastak
06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
From PFT:

Man, Campbell, i thought you were smarter than that. Why do you keep believing everything PFT tells you. Only 1 out of ever 20 stories by PFT is credible.

It's actually closer to 5 out of 20....

Anti-Polar Bear
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM

According to my calculation 5 of 20 = 1 of 4. I can not honestly belive 25% of their reports are truthful. I just can't.

billy_oliver880
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM

According to my calculation 5 of 20 = 1 of 4. I can not honestly belive 25% of their reports are truthful. I just can't.

Did you read the list of injuries and the complexity of them? Its going to take awhile for this guy to be healed up.

The Leaper
06-13-2006, 12:16 PM
The guy had a windshield for brunch yesterday...and spent SEVEN HOURS getting his jaw put back together.

The chances he will be available week one are extremely remote. The chances he will return at all this season are probably not much better than 50-50. That's just common sense when you realize the violent nature of the game of football...and the care that will be needed to heal massive jaw injuries.

In other words, Tank...the dude got jacked up. He's not rolling out of bed ready for practice tomorrow morning. You shouldn't need PFT to tell you that.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
From PFT:

Where did I write that I believe them?

Rastak
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM

HEY, they are teaching some math at school!

Rastak
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
The guy had a windshield for brunch yesterday...and spent SEVEN HOURS getting his jaw put back together.

The chances he will be available week one are extremely remote. The chances he will return at all this season are probably not much better than 50-50. That's just common sense when you realize the violent nature of the game of football...and the care that will be needed to heal massive jaw injuries.

In other words, Tank...the dude got jacked up. He's not rolling out of bed ready for practice tomorrow morning. You shouldn't need PFT to tell you that.

I agree...he may have several weeks before the season but those facial bones heal very slowly usually.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Man, Campbell, i thought you were smarter than that.

Good. Then I fooled you.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
In my younger days I rode motorcycle all the time, and NEVER with a helmet. Hell, I even wore sunglasses at night (Cory Hart) when riding b/c you HAD to have eyewear at least. If I were going anywhere on my bike I had to "look cool." Cruisin' in the summer was a blast, including bar hopping on the bikes.

Well, that was all pretty stupid of course. But now, as Al Bundy made famous, "I'm married with children." I would never think of such behavior. I still have my bike but haven't rode in 10 years. I may again some day but I'll definitely wear a helmet and not be so dumb.

Still, my best friend, who I used to cruise with still rides many miles. He's also married with children. What makes me almost physically ill is he insists on riding w/o a helmet....and here's the worst part...he insists his wife do the same. I've pleaded until I'm blue in the face, even pulling his wife aside on multiple occasions to beg her to at least wear the helmet. They have a 10 year old girl and 6 year old boy. Please at least think of them. But to no avail. You have to realize my friend is very "into himself" and has a trophy wife (as do I :mrgreen: ), and as one of the articles posted mentioned, he's trying to re-live his younger days. Pretty shallow and pathetic I know. Hopefully Ben's accident will shake him to reality, but I know it won't. Sad really.

Man ! You . . . are a solid friend, as demonstrated by that very sensible concern for your friends and their families welfare.

Good luck with that , sincerely.

When I was a very young man, I went out for a stroll one lovely summer's evening. On my street I observed the aftermath of a very serios accident, involving a young man on a motorcycle, who had run into the rear of a car. He became mobile and went over the car and tragically was pronounced dead at the scene. He was wearing a helmut.

We are required by law to wear seatbelts while operating an auto in Canada, to reduce the risk of a serious injury or death because of auto accidents. Operators of motorcycles don't have that option, but in Canada they must wear helmuts. The consequences of a recorded infraction is a big fine.

The consequences of such violation in an auto ( no seat belt on) and especially a motorcycle involving an accident ( no helmut) is often serious injury . . . .or death. Stastics overwhelmingly support this as fact.

Often, as in Big Bens case, the Bike is invisable to the operators of auto's. He was a victim of the person making an unsafe left hand turn and not seeing oncoming traffic. He was also the victim of himself.

Big Ben was not only not wearing a helmut but it's being reported that he had no valid licence to operate that high powered bike.

It's my honestand informed opinion, that both should be infractions anywhere. Common sense dictates to me, that as laws are made to inforce the use of seatbelts, the same should stand for helmut use for motorcycle operators.

These two laws save lives and people from serious crippling injury and DEATH, and IMO should be universally instituted. It's just common sense, as the cost otherwise is way over the top too high.

As I say . . . "it's a no -brainer".

Right now in canada we are facing the consequences of operators of auto's using cell phones and one hand on the wheel, and with the inherant distraction that comes with that now common practise. This is taking innocent lives. and will soon be dealt with in Canada , I believe.

Ben may rebound from this incident to play in 2006 and to have a solid Pro Career, but will he learn from his stupidity and irresposibility.

This NFL fan , hopes for that result.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Right now in canada we are facing the consequences of operators of auto's using cell phones and one hand on the whell and with the inherant distraction that comes with that now common practise. This is taking innocent lives. and will soon be dealt with in Canada ,I believe.

Headsets are cheap and much safer than having to hold up the phone. Voice recogition/autodial software means you shouldn't have to hunt down numbers in your cell phone book - also, a much safer alternative. There are already laws in some areas of the US requiring headset use.

Tony Oday
06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Well go down that path and you have to make it so there is only one person in each car because distractions by a passanger is the number one reason for accidents. Atleast that is what my insurance guy told me :)

Anti-Polar Bear
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Did you read the list of injuries and the complexity of them? Its going to take awhile for this guy to be healed up.

I watched the 6 PM sportscenter yesturday and they said Big Ben wasnt in serious condition. I tend to believe SC more than PFT.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Well go down that path and you have to make it so there is only one person in each car because distractions by a passanger is the number one reason for accidents. Atleast that is what my insurance guy told me :)

I think I might try and sedate my wife before she gets in my car from now on thanks to your little tidbit. Thanks!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
PFT tells you. Only 1 out of ever 20 stories by PFT is credible.

I assumed since you like to post PFT articles.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Right now in canada we are facing the consequences of operators of auto's using cell phones and one hand on the whell and with the inherant distraction that comes with that now common practise. This is taking innocent lives. and will soon be dealt with in Canada ,I believe.

Headsets are cheap and much safer than having to hold up the phone. Voice recogition/autodial software means you shouldn't have to hunt down numbers in your cell phone book - also, a much safer alternative. There are already laws in some areas of the US requiring headset use.

Yes Scott headsets are used by smarter people, but that is the rare case now in this ever growing concern here.

We just had a young child killed in the Montreal area, by an operator of an auto using a cell phone at he time of that accident.

As early as 2001, the Canadian Medical Association Journal called for laws restricting cell phone use while driving because of the risks involved. However, the Canada Safety Council says there are few hard facts that connect cell phone use with auto accidents and points to bad drivers instead, although it urges drivers to avoid unnecessary calls while driving.

but get this:

The problem
A study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1997, which was one of the earliest but still one of the most comprehensive studies on cell phone usage while driving, found that the risk of vehicle accidents is four times greater when motorists are using cell phones. A 2002 study by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis estimated that the use of cell phones by drivers results in approximately 2,600 deaths, 330,000 injuries and 1.5 million instances of property damage in the United States each year.

Part of the problem involves reduced physical control (trying to steer with one hand). The more significant problem, though, is mental inattentiveness. That is, many employers have attempted to reduce the risk of vehicle accidents while their employees are using cell phones by arranging for them to use hands-free devices. However, these devices are even more of a problem, because they encourage people to talk longer and more frequently on cell phones while driving.

A 2003 University of Utah study found that drivers using hands-free cell phones are less attentive than drunk drivers. In the study, subjects used a driving simulator. Those talking on cell phones had slower reaction times and more accidents than the other subjects who had consumed vodka and orange juice until their blood alcohol levels reached .08 percent, the legal limit for driving in most states.

Why is a cell phone conversation more distracting than a conversation with a passenger in your vehicle? Your passenger can actually be a driving aid, helping you keep your eyes on the road and pointing out potential hazards ahead. In addition, if driving does become hazardous, your passenger tends to stop talking and begins to help you navigate. The person on the other end of a cell phone, though, has no idea what’s going on while you’re trying to drive and will thus continue to talk, regardless of how dangerous your driving situation has become. Since the other person wants to keep talking, you, as the driver, also feel obligated to continue talking, which distracts you from your primary responsibility: focusing all of your attention on driving.

Rastak
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM

I assumed since you like to post PFT articles.[/quote]

Even they (PFT) are now saying he may be ready for the season....what a lucky guy. By all rights they should be arranging his funeral right now. I wonder what sort of shape he'll be in after only liquids while his jaw heals.

billy_oliver880
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Even they (PFT) are now saying he may be ready for the season....what a lucky guy. By all rights they should be arranging his funeral right now. I wonder what sort of shape he'll be in after only liquids while his jaw heals.

I am going to stick to the high road. I really doubt this far along into his recovery that anyone could really have a good estimate for his return to football.

retailguy
06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
This is hardly his fault.

But, Whiskey, in the end he's the one that got "jacked up". Not wearing the helmet WAS his fault. Not having the proper license WAS his fault. He's no victim.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Why is a cell phone conversation more distracting than a conversation with a passenger in your vehicle? Your passenger can actually be a driving aid, helping you keep your eyes on the road and pointing out potential hazards ahead.

What if your passangers include screaming and fighting and barfing kids that have no awareness whatsoever of road/traffic conditions. They're not much help navigating.

I think they'll be hard pressed to legislate against the use of headsets. That might be taking things too far. Either that, or they'll have to outlaw the danged kids first.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 01:34 PM

I assumed since you like to post PFT articles.
[/quote]

I woudn't read that into the situation.

BooHoo
06-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I feel bad for Big Ben. His football season is impacted by an off-field incident.

retailguy
06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I feel bad for Big Ben. His football season is impacted by an off-field incident.

Yeah, Kellen Winslow too.... Idiots.

BooHoo
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM

That was an unfortunate situation also.

Rastak
06-13-2006, 01:58 PM

That was an unfortunate situation also.

He was an even bigger dummy for trying to do tricks while still learning to ride the damn thing.

The Leaper
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I watched the 6 PM sportscenter yesturday and they said Big Ben wasnt in serious condition. I tend to believe SC more than PFT.

Considering he was in surgery 7 hours yesterday...and had the accident around noon...I would assume Sportscenter was a little premature on claiming he wasn't in serious condition, since he was likely on the operating table as they were speaking.

ESPN isn't exactly very good at on-scene reporting, especially for a story that is in the making. These are sports journalists by and large...who have spent the majority of their time writing, talking, and meeting deadlines WELL AFTER things actually happen.

This is in stark contrast to regular news outlets, who routinely deal with developing situations...and have a better idea who to talk to and where to go to get information critical to a continuing story that involves a lot of unknowns.

Partial
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
They said 8 weeks recovery, 4 weeks to get back into shape (conditioning) and 4 more weeks before serious hitting on the radio this morning. All are estimates obviously, but it seemed logical to me since he is supposedly receovered in 8 weeks. Assuming he loses a ton of weight, he'll have to beef up and improve his cardiovascular shape at the sametime, which is pretty tough to do.

I just hope he doesn't get gunshine under center with a "fake" face from this point forth. That could really damage a promising career!!

MJZiggy
06-13-2006, 03:09 PM

I must be horridly old fashioned. I just let it go to voicemail and call back when I get there.

Fosco33
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
It was nice to read that Troy Vincent's bikes have collected plenty of dust over his career. It brings me back to UW days - my football friends all had these little scooters and never wore helmets. Most helmets only help in low speed crashes and generally you can go more than 30 or 40 (Gibson couldn't get that thing above 20!). Should these college athletes wear some type of helmet?

Packers4Ever
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh but Zool, it's no one's fault but his that he failed to wear a safety helmet. Granted, he'd still have injuries but maybe not as intense or
requiring that much surgery.

I think he falls into the group who feels like 'those things happen to
other people.' It's a large group.

Little Whiskey
06-13-2006, 10:17 PM

But, Whiskey, in the end he's the one that got "jacked up". Not wearing the helmet WAS his fault. Not having the proper license WAS his fault. He's no victim.

I've been misquoted and taken out of context!!!!! RetailGuy please retract your statement, I demand an apology!!! :mrgreen:

packerpete
06-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Talk about inconsistent and stupid laws.

I live in Cali.

There is a helmet law in effect here.

It is also LEGAL for motorcycles to drive between cars in lanes of traffic.

Even doing 90 mph on 5 lane highways. Even the CHP does it.

Like that is safe. If you dont give a shit about the safety of cycle riders (the between lanes allowance) why make them wear helmets??

Cali is one screwed up place.

woodbuck27
06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Big Ben Upgraded To Fair Condition
Roethlisberger Is Awake And Oriented

POSTED: 4:14 pm EDT June 13, 2006
UPDATED: 8:35 am EDT June 14, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- Doctors held a news conference Tuesday afternoon at Mercy Hospital to provide an update on Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisbergerâ€℠¢s medical condition.

The hospital officially updated his condition from serious but stable to fair on Tuesday afternoon.

Ben was transferred from the recovery room to an undisclosed unit at the hospital. He is awake, alert, oriented and resting with his family by his side.

The upgrade means Ben’s vital signs are stable and his recovery is progressing as expected.

If all goes as planned he could be released in the next three to five days.

The family permitted his doctors to release a list of his injuries.

It includes fractures to his upper and lower jaw, mild concussion, a fractured nose, fractured facial bones, multiple head lacerations, multiple abrasions/contusions, loss of two teeth, chipped several teeth and no evidence of any major structural damage to either knees. A CT scan of the brain showed no injury.

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery Monday to repair the injuries he suffered during the accident.

The hospital said the next update of Ben’s condition will be Wednesday at a yet to be determined time.

Channel 11’s Rick Earle learned Tuesday afternoon that Ben did not have a motorcycle license at the time of his accident on Monday.

Earle’s source also said that Big Ben did not have a motorcycle learner's permit.

Pittsburgh and PennDOT police did not comment.

The crash happened under the Parkway East as Ben was traveling east on Second Avenue downtown near the Armstrong Tunnel.

The other car was traveling inbound on Second Avenue, and made a left turn onto the 10th Street Bridge. That's when it collided with Big Ben's bike. Police say Ben was not wearing a helmet.

Right now, the driver of the other car – a 62-year-old woman -- has not been charged.

The sport bike Ben was riding was a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa.

The motorcycle is said to be one of the fastest on the market, with top speeds of at least 200 mph. The bike lists for just over $11,000.

A safety inspection of the car and motorcycle involved in the accident was completed Tuesday at the old Engine Co. No. 11 Fire Station in Troy Hill.

It was concluded that the bike was safe for the highway. Nothing abnormal about the car was found and was transported to the Pittsburgh toy pound.

Ben's accident put plans for Campbell's Chunky Soup up in the air. The ad was supposed to film this week.

The company is coming up with a new plan.

"...The ads will now focus on an expanded number of Steelers players due to our continuing partnership with the team," said Lisa Farynyk, Campell’s Vice President.

Stay with Channel 11 News and WPXI.com for continuing coverage of this major local story throughout the day.

Guiness
06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Gota put in my $0.02 here.

A few people have said that it's really too bad it happened, they feel sorry for him, etc.

Well, I DON'T. I could care less if he makes it through the night.

I'm a long time motorcyclist, and any one who bombs around on one w/o a helmet is an idiot. In my experience, guys who do that are 'too cool for school', which fits right in with a pro athlete, unfortunately. Anyone who does that is doing it purely for cool factor, or misplaced bravado. People like that just piss me off. I classify them right up there people who still talk about the time they hit a walk off homer at the church picnic when they were in grade 8.

There is no advantage to not wearing one, and it isn't more comfortable. You are just too vulnerable on a bike. I can't believe someone would get on a serious sports bike and drive around a city without a helmet.

I flipped my bike once. Some jackass realized he was missing his turn, and pulled made a hard right from the center lane. I was in the curb lane, hit the front of his jeep, and went over the hood. I ended up on my back, slid along the pavement, and went head first into a curb, flipping over and landing on a patch of grass.

All I had to show for it was a scratched up back, and a sore neck. Without a helmet, I expect a skull fracture would've been the result.

The moral is, I did nothing wrong, was doing all of 20 miles an hour, and could've landed up in bad shape without a helmet.

Rastak
06-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Gota put in my $0.02 here.

A few people have said that it's really too bad it happened, they feel sorry for him, etc.

Well, I DON'T. I could care less if he makes it through the night.

I'm a long time motorcyclist, and any one who bombs around on one w/o a helmet is an idiot. In my experience, guys who do that are 'too cool for school', which fits right in with a pro athlete, unfortunately. Anyone who does that is doing it purely for cool factor, or misplaced bravado. People like that just piss me off. I classify them right up there people who still talk about the time they hit a walk off homer at the church picnic when they were in grade 8.

There is no advantage to not wearing one, and it isn't more comfortable. You are just too vulnerable on a bike. I can't believe someone would get on a serious sports bike and drive around a city without a helmet.

I flipped my bike once. Some jackass realized he was missing his turn, and pulled made a hard right from the center lane. I was in the curb lane, hit the front of his jeep, and went over the hood. I ended up on my back, slid along the pavement, and went head first into a curb, flipping over and landing on a patch of grass.

All I had to show for it was a scratched up back, and a sore neck. Without a helmet, I expect a skull fracture would've been the result.

The moral is, I did nothing wrong, was doing all of 20 miles an hour, and could've landed up in bad shape without a helmet.

Guiness, you could care less if a 22 year old dies just because he didn't wear a helmut? That's colder than cold dude. Unless he was mugging someone I certainly hope he recovers and learns his lesson well.

Fosco33
06-14-2006, 11:13 AM

I live in Cali.

Like that is safe. If you dont give a shit about the safety of cycle riders (the between lanes allowance) why make them wear helmets??

I hear you brother. I'd only 'ride the dots' in heavy traffic. Some of these guys have no issue flying between a bunch of moronic drivers - absolutely nuts. And its kinda crazy to have someone pass you like that - especially with the narrow width of these freeways in Cali.

retailguy
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM

I live in Cali.

I believe that the motorcycle is not supposed to be doing greater than 15 mph faster than the traffic they are passing.

But, overall you're correct. That law is NUTS. I used to own a bike. I sold it when I moved to California. Never again. Would NEVER bike like that. Never. I don't live there anymore, but will never forget the first time a bike passed me on the dots. Freaked the shit out of me....

retailguy
06-14-2006, 04:51 PM

I've been misquoted and taken out of context!!!!! RetailGuy please retract your statement, I demand an apology!!! :mrgreen:

I humbly apologize, SIR, I meant no disrespect. :sad: Just ask Red. :razz:

Tony Oday
06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Big Ben got out of the hospital last night.

Guiness
06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Guiness, you could care less if a 22 year old dies just because he didn't wear a helmut? That's colder than cold dude. Unless he was mugging someone I certainly hope he recovers and learns his lesson well.

Nah, not really. I know I worded it harshly, and it's not that I wish him badly, it that I won't shed a tear over whatever happens.

The guy was acting like a total moron in order to look cool, and paid the price. The guy put an incredible future at risk in order to look like a rebel. When I first heard of him doing this, I thought at least he was cruising country roads on a cruiser. But he was bombing around on a Suzuki Hey-Bush. I've dumped bikes with less punch than that because I leaned on the throttle a bit too much.

Rastak
06-15-2006, 09:37 AM

Smart move sneaking out, can you imagine what he looks like?

Fosco33
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Smart move sneaking out, can you imagine what he looks like?

I don't imagine they're are any press conferences scheduled in the next, say 8 weeks. If you want to hear a guy talk who can't move his lips, watch the Simpson's episode where Homer's jaw is wired shut....

Duffman: What beverage brewed since ancient times is made from hops and grains?
Lenny: How about "Ancient Hop Grain Juice"?
Homer: (trying to say Beer) Brr! Brr! Brr!
Moe: Wait wait wait, Homer's trying to make a guess…
Homer: Brr Brr Brr! (turns the beer tap on)
Moe: What are you doing? You're getting some kind of booze all over me.
(Homer cries)
Duffman: Time's up, the answer is... Beer! Ooh, duff luck!
Carl: I never would have figured that out.
Lenny: That's the kinda thing you just gotta know.

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/17/200px-Homer_doh2.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

MJZiggy
06-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Here's what some were hoping for but Johnson still sounds like an idiot:

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family on Thursday, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

"In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive ... "

Roethlisberger, 24, who wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield on Monday, was discharged late Wednesday night.

The youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania's mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again "it certainly will be with a helmet."

Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger's broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said that he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, citing confidentiality laws, has refused to confirm media reports that Roethlisberger does not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger appeared to address those reports in his statement.

"I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."

"People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting,"

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati.

Police were still investigating and will not release their findings until their accident reconstruction is complete, spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said. Police have finished inspecting Roethlisberger's Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and the car, but Ewin would not elaborate on that part of the investigation.

A secretary for District Justice Oscar Petite Jr., who has jurisdiction where the crash occurred, said no citations or other charges have been filed.

The car's driver, a 62-year-old woman, did not immediately return a telephone message Thursday.

The Steelers have not given a timetable for Roethlisberger's return, but hope he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami. Players who visited Roethlisberger in the hospital believe he will return to action soon, with no ill effects.

"I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and winning football games this season," Roethlisberger said in the statement.

The Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have played in two AFC championship games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.

Bengals receiver Chad Johnson hopes the accident does not cause teams to impose more contractual limits on dangerous activities by players.

"They took away the [touchdown] celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said.

"If you're going to do it, do it very cautiously. If you're going to ride a bike, ride it the right way. Don't speed. Do it for enjoyment. If you're going to bungee jump, have two cords in case one snaps. I don't ride anything. I just talk trash. That's it."

Although Roethlisberger was able to sneak out of the hospital Wednesday night, Mercy Hospital officials did not confirm his release until Thursday morning at the request of his family.

It was unclear where Roethlisberger went when he left the hospital. A bodyguard outside Roethlisberger's home did not say if the player was inside, but several vehicles were parked in the driveway and on the street nearby.

Packers4Ever
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
According to our local FOX news station this noon, Ben has said

he's done riding cycles but will wear a helmet if he ever did again.

SB QB but still a kid.

woodbuck27
06-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Now, concern turns to football helmet

By Karen Roebuck and Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, June 16, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger likely will take the field this season wearing a helmet he passed on last year, according to the Steelers' primary helmet supplier.
Roethlisberger also may need a hard chin cup, a different face mask and the addition of a face shield that extends to at least below the nose to keep wayward fingers from his fractured face, jaws and nose, said Marty Cothern, Riddell key account manager. Riddell is the country's leading manufacturer of football helmets. Steelers trainers contacted him about helmet possibilities after the quarterback's Monday motorcycle accident, in which Roethlisberger also suffered a minor concussion.

"They're trying to think ahead of the curve here, and they don't know -- nobody knows -- what the issues are going to be," he said. "... At that position, it's tough to wear too much, because you have to turn your head a lot."

Big Ben likely will wear the Revolution helmet, which has distinctive muttonchop-like protection over the jaws and was first introduced five years ago, Cothern said.

The helmet was designed to protect players from concussions but also provides the best jaw protection available on a football helmet, he said.

The Revolution was made after a study came to the surprising conclusion that 70 percent of players' concussions occurred from blows to the jaw or side of the head, Cothern said.

"I think that is the helmet he will be wearing going forward," Cothern said.

Cothern said the Steelers told him the Revolution fit Roethlisberger best last season, but he opted to stay with Riddell VSR-4 he had been wearing.

He said he did not know Roethlisberger's reasons for forgoing the better-fitting helmet, but some NFL players do not want to change their equipment because of superstitions and habit.

The Revolution also feels different to players, distributing its weight -- 2 ounces less than other helmets -- around the head rather than at the face mask, like those they have worn for years.

"Sometimes, we don't get a perfect fit with this helmet, and the best protection you can have is a good fit," Cothern said.

Linebackers Joey Porter and James Farrior, safety Troy Polamalu and backup quarterback Charlie Batch were among the Steelers who wore the Revolution during the team's championship season. Polamalu suffered multiple concussions during his college career at Southern Cal but is not believed to have suffered one during his three-year NFL career.

Ex-Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart converted to the Revolution after he suffered a concussion on a hit from Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington, and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning switched to the Revolution in 2002, after suffering a hairline fracture of his jaw a season earlier.

Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell took some ribbing from teammates when he switched to the Revolution three seasons ago, when he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars. They thought the helmet made him look like an astronaut. Brunell didn't mind. He'd suffered a concussion a year earlier.

"I don't care if some guys may think it looks silly," Brunell told Pro Football Weekly. "If it fits fine and gives me a lesser chance of getting a concussion, I'll wear it -- I'll keep wearing it. Concussions are not a lot of fun. Once you have one, you never want to have one again."

Thad Ide, the vice president of research and development for Riddell, said other quarterbacks returning from head injuries have benefited from equipment modifications.

"(Then-St. Louis Rams quarterback) Kurt Warner broke his jaw and had an extended faceguard made, and (ex-Dallas Cowboys quarterback) Troy Aikman wore a specially padded chinstrap," Ide said. "Efforts have been made for accommodations. Custom mouthpieces are made for players all the time."

Ide said approximately 20 percent of NFL players wore the Revolution helmet last season.

Big Ben also should have a better line of sight with the Revolution, which is cut back on the sides one-quarter inch from older-style helmets, Cothern said.

While the company will not change the helmet design for Roethlisberger, Cothern said he was going to meet with Riddell engineers last night to discuss other options to protect the Steelers' starting quarterback.

Riddell made a specialized, albeit heavy, face mask to protect former New Orleans Saints linebacker and ex-Pitt star Rickey Jackson, who played with a broken jaw, Cothern said.

Roethlisberger's next face mask could be more cagelike, with more wire, Cothern said. More padding could be added to the helmet, either for a better fit or increased protection, he said.

"The Steelers have one of the best crews I've ever seen in fitting equipment and helmets. They've been around forever," Cothern said.

woodbuck27
06-18-2006, 12:17 PM
According to our local FOX news station this noon, Ben has said

he's done riding cycles but will wear a helmet if he ever did again.

SB QB but still a kid.

Roethlisberger says he's 'fortunate to be alive'

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (June 15, 2006) --

Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family June 15, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

"In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive ... "

Roethlisberger, 24, who wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield June 12, was discharged late June 14.

The youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania's mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again, "it certainly will be with a helmet."

Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger's broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said that he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, citing confidentiality laws, has refused to confirm media reports that Roethlisberger does not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license.
Roethlisberger appeared to address those reports in his statement.

"I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."

"People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting," Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said, noting those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals minicamp in Cincinnati.

Police were still investigating and will not release their findings until their accident reconstruction is complete, spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said. Police have finished inspecting Roethlisberger's Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and the car, but Ewin would not elaborate on that part of the investigation.

A secretary for District Justice Oscar Petite Jr., who has jurisdiction where the crash occurred, said no citations or other charges have been filed.

The car's driver, a 62-year-old woman, did not immediately return a telephone message.

The Steelers have not given a timetable for Roethlisberger's return, but hope he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami. Players who visited Roethlisberger in the hospital believe he will return to action soon, with no ill effects.

"I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and winning football games this season," Roethlisberger said in the statement.

The Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have played in two AFC Championship Games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.

Bengals receiver Chad Johnson hopes the accident does not cause teams to impose more contractual limits on dangerous activities by players.

"They took away the (touchdown) celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said.

"If you're going to do it, do it very cautiously. If you're going to ride a bike, ride it the right way. Don't speed. Do it for enjoyment. If you're going to bungee jump, have two cords in case one snaps. I don't ride anything. I just talk trash. That's it."

Although Roethlisberger was able to sneak out of the hospital June 14, Mercy Hospital officials did not confirm his release until June 15 at the request of his family.

It was unclear where Roethlisberger went when he left the hospital. A bodyguard outside Roethlisberger's home did not say if the player was inside, but several vehicles were parked in the driveway and on the street nearby.

woodbuck27
06-18-2006, 12:21 PM

"They took away the (touchdown) celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said.

"If you're going to do it, do it very cautiously. If you're going to ride a bike, ride it the right way. Don't speed. Do it for enjoyment. If you're going to bungee jump, have two cords in case one snaps. I don't ride anything. I just talk trash. That's it." fr. the above article

Comment:

"I just talk trash." Chad Johnson

Packers4Ever
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I was watching national news about an hour ago and the topic of Ben came up, he's to be fined (?) for not wearing a helmet last Monday. Just then the phone rang and I missed the rest. Anyone hear how much of a fine and also who fined him? Doesn't PA have a law? I doubt it was the Steeler's organization. Also, is he liable for damages to the other party's vehicle since he didn't have a license?
Anybody know?
Just curious...

Fosco33
06-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I was watching national news about an hour ago and the topic of Ben came up, he's to be fined (?) for not wearing a helmet last Monday. Just then the phone rang and I missed the rest. Anyone hear how much of a fine and also who fined him? Doesn't PA have a law? I doubt it was the Steeler's organization. Also, is he liable for damages to the other party's vehicle since he didn't have a license?
Anybody know?
Just curious...

He didn't have a valid motorcycle license and thus is getting fined for this and not wearing a helmet (yes, PA is a no helmet state except if you don't have a cycle license). I also heard that the driver will be cited for something so it'll probably be a 50/50 split of liability - I'm sure he can afford it :razz:

Patler
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
One report said the driver is being cited for failure to yield, both had green lights and she was turning left. The report also said the police are investigating threatening phone calls made to the lady.

Packers4Ever
06-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks Shamrock and Fosco for the info. I didn't think the

lady driving the other vehicle should get off scott-free either.

Guiness
06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Threatening phone calls made to the lady - I probably could've guessed.

I can just see the mentality behind that.

Packers4Ever
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Oh yes, I'm sure it wasn't hard to sniff money especially

in this case. Probably had her lawyer picked by suppertime. :wink:

Patler
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Oh yes, I'm sure it wasn't hard to sniff money especially

in this case. Probably had her lawyer picked by suppertime. :wink:

Huh? What claim does she have? She turned in front of him, failing to yield to oncoming traffic.

Packers4Ever
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I know Sham, but just wait, bet she'll try to turn this into his

being liable too, to some degree at least. Bet she never saw

him coming.

And now his fans are out to get her ???

Fosco33
06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I know Sham, but just wait, bet she'll try to turn this into his

being liable too, to some degree at least. Bet she never saw

him coming.

And now his fans are out to get her ???

Unless your parked your always liable in some degree in an accident. Even in a rear end collision, the front car is liable. In this case, it'll probably be 50/50 or 70/30 (driver/cycle). She's not injured so her liability is just the car - his being the cycle and 3 days in the hospital (probably about a $40-$50K bill) - chump change for a guy making millions.

Packers4Ever
06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Make that hospital/doctor bill more like $100,000 and up. Seven hours

in surgery - following time in the ER - look at all the repair work in and

around his mouth and head, not to speak of various therapists and

specialists. Does NFL offer health coverage of any sort, I thought

they did, but not sure. Still...he could handle this... : )

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/BensNewLook.jpg

He's going with 'the cool look', now , ditchin' - 'the biker look'. . . or has he?

Packers4Ever
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Cool Woodbuck! I think he's ditched the biker look but I sure wouldn't want to run into him anywhere. ( literally)
Funny, since Ben's accident I've watched more closely on the road to see how many actually wear helmets. It looked like those who wore them were outnumbered by those who didn't, but this is a small community which they may consider "safer" ?? The law here also says their headlight has to be on and that's not strictly observed either. The ones who seem to be the more cautious and play by the rules are the groups - we have a large group of Harley people come through here every summer and they appear to be more "with it."

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Cool Woodbuck! I think he's ditched the biker look but I sure wouldn't want to run into him anywhere. ( literally)
Funny, since Ben's accident I've watched more closely on the road to see how many actually wear helmets. It looked like those who wore them were outnumbered by those who didn't, but this is a small community which they may consider "safer" ?? The law here also says their headlight has to be on and that's not strictly observed either. The ones who seem to be the more cautious and play by the rules are the groups - we have a large group of Harley people come through here every summer and they appear to be more "with it."

In Canada we have a helmut LAW - even for people on pedal bikes.

Why anyone would drive a motorcucle without a helmut is starnge behaviour indeed.

Motorists just don't see people on bikes. You have to really be looking for the motorist making the left hand turn when 'you - the biker',have the right- of-way.

Packers4Ever
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
But - do they all obey it, Woodbuck? I'm almost certain Wisconsin has the helmet law too. Someone should do a study....
It always seems like a certain number of years have to pass before you suddenly realize that it's not always the other guy.......too often you are the other guy.

On to some cheerful chatter !
:smile:

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Big Ben had his bike repaired and he's all excited to go again but with a helmut on this time. He's smartened up !

http://www.ratemyhdmotorcycle.com/photo/New%20Harley%20Rigid_thumb.jpg

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
THIS SAYS IT ALL !

http://www.dochemp.com/images/mikey1.jpg

Orrrrrrr

http://www.dochemp.com/images/jpg/gramma2.jpg

Grandma Hemp Says! At 200 MPH "You Have No Friends!"

but that helmut get's YOU to this:

http://69.10.165.87/homeimages/cowboyhempsm.jpg

Sitting - handsome !

MJZiggy
07-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Big Ben is on espn.com this morning as the lead video. He looks amazingly good for someone who went face-first into a car.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Roethlisberger: I almost died in accident

NFL.com wire reports

BRISTOL, Conn. (July 13, 2006) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's SportsCenter that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he said in Los Angeles where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9552238.jpg

In his first public appearance since the accident, Ben Roethlisberger showed few effects from his injuries.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

Roethlisberger was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC Championship Game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

Roethlisberger didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

"I have no concerns about Ben," Cowher said backstage. "He's going to have to get hit a couple times to see if he's all the way back. Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously."