PDA

View Full Version : I say let him go

ZachMN
08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
so Brett wants to stick it to the Packers? Why shy away from it, the team is going to have to prove itself against good competition sooner or later so bring it on. Let him go to the Vikings or Bears. I for one would love to see it blow up in his face- playing for the vikings getting picked....priceless...

Pacopete4
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
man.. rough crowd..

says he wants to play for the green bay packers first.. and then since THE TEAM doesnt want him, hes an ass for wanting to play for another team? how is that fair?

boiga
08-01-2008, 12:27 PM
man.. rough crowd..

says he wants to play for the green bay packers first.. and then since THE TEAM doesnt want him, hes an ass for wanting to play for another team? how is that fair?Not really an ass for wanting to play for another team, but it is fairly ass-like to want to play for the Vikings so that he can stick it to the Packers.

Don't you see that as being at least a little treasonous? If he wanted to play for the Bucs or Jets, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal... but man, it's the freak'n vikings...

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Favre wants to win...and he figures the Vikings are his best shot, and he has relationships with several of their coaches.

I could see why he would want to go there. NFL players aren't as attached to a team as fans are. Favre was once a Falcon.

mmmdk
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Just a, ahem, thought - to ruin Packers 2008 season would be better than handing the Vikings a shot at any championship. Let Favre onto the Packer roster and rot.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Just a, ahem, thought - to ruin Packers 2008 season would be better than handing the Vikings a shot at any championship.

You are off your Danish rocker my friend. Ruin the Packer season just so the Vikings don't have a shot? That's crazy.

RashanGary
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Favre wants to win...and he figures the Vikings are his best shot, and he has relationships with several of their coaches.

I could see why he would want to go there. NFL players aren't as attached to a team as fans are. Favre was once a Falcon.

You are such an idiot. I'll attempt to present reality to you in a way that you can comprehend but somehow I think your blissfull ignorance is rooted too deep to make a difference.

Favre said if he can't play with the Packers he wants to play against them. How hard is that for you to comprehend?

bbbffl66
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM

You are such an idiot. I'll attempt to present reality to you in a way that you can comprehend but somehow I think your blissfull ignorance is rooted too deep to make a difference.

Favre said if he can't play with the Packers he wants to play against them. How hard is that for you to comprehend?

If you were told by your employer that you weren't wanted anymore, wouldn't you go to the compitition and try to get back at them? I would and have! This just makes Favre like most of the rest of us!

prsnfoto
08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Moron if he isn't playing for them he is playing against them! Anyhow what do you know you are a worthless piece o shit DT that is a waste of a roster spot so far. Drafted by your God and he ain't no liberal TT. :D :D

gbpackfan
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Moron? Idiot? LOOK AT YOU GUYS!

BRETT FAVRE!!!! LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO US!!!!!!!!!!!

prsnfoto
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM

If you were told by your employer that you weren't wanted anymore, wouldn't you go to the compitition and try to get back at them? I would and have! This just makes Favre like most of the rest of us! :bclap: :bclap:

mmmdk
08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Just a, ahem, thought - to ruin Packers 2008 season would be better than handing the Vikings a shot at any championship.

You are off your Danish rocker my friend. Ruin the Packer season just so the Vikings don't have a shot? That's crazy.

What's your sane idea? Let the Vikings have Favre and the NFC North crown or more? - only for a 1st pick or a 2nd pick plus a 6th. Or let Favre rot on the bench.

I'm not saying it but one could argue that the 2008 Packer season is a long shot to be Championship-like.

EAT GREEN'N'GOLD, PURPLE!

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM

If you were told by your employer that you weren't wanted anymore, wouldn't you go to the compitition and try to get back at them? I would and have! This just makes Favre like most of the rest of us!

There is a difference here. The average joe isn't under contract with thier employer, especially when thier employer says they don't want them anymore. In blunt terms, the Packers OWN Brett Favre. The Packers tell Favre how things work, not the other way around. We may have the choice to go to the competitior, but Favre does not unless TT gives him that choice. And he certainly is not obligated to do so, nor should he. If your employer owned rights to your services, I doubt they trade those rights to your competitor either.

Maybe this means that Brett doesn't get what he wants. So fucking sad. Brett hasn't really given Green Bay what it wants either, so he shouldn't feel bad about it. Green Bay wants a distraction free TC to make the transition from Favre to Rodgers as smooth as possible, and Favre throwing members of the organization under the bus in a big media spectacle isn't exactly what they had in mind.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM

I agree. Favre feels slighted by the decision of the Packers. The Packers have every right to their decision, and Favre has the right to feel slighted.

Wanting to gun for a title in Minnesota and get a little payback at the same time...I can understand. If I were in Favre's shoes, I might do the same thing.

Like I said...players today aren't like fans. They don't have lifelong allegiance to a single team. Very few players spend their entire career with one team anymore.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 01:35 PM
In blunt terms, the Packers OWN Brett Favre. The Packers tell Favre how things work, not the other way around. We may have the choice to go to the competitior, but Favre does not unless TT gives him that choice.

I agree. The Packers have every right to ensure that Brett does not go to Minnesota if they so choose. I'm personally not saying otherwise.

However, Favre can certainly apply pressure to get his way if he so chooses...and the current pressure of his reporting to camp is one of the ways he can apply that pressure.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
In blunt terms, the Packers OWN Brett Favre. The Packers tell Favre how things work, not the other way around. We may have the choice to go to the competitior, but Favre does not unless TT gives him that choice.

I agree. The Packers have every right to ensure that Brett does not go to Minnesota if they so choose. I'm personally not saying otherwise.

However, Favre can certainly apply pressure to get his way if he so chooses...and the current pressure of his reporting to camp is one of the ways he can apply that pressure.

Oh I absolutely agree. All I'm saying is that if he's going to try to stick it to the Packers he shouldn't expect the Packers to give him everything he wants. If I'm TT, and Favre comes in to cause problems and try to force me to deal him, I trade him to Tampa for a 5th round pick and a brand new 7 man sled before I trade him to Minnesota.

imscott72
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM

And if I retire and they fill my position, I don't get to slide back in if I change my mind. Doesn't work like that in the real world either.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

What's your sane idea? Let the Vikings have Favre and the NFC North crown or more? - only for a 1st pick or a 2nd pick plus a 6th. Or let Favre rot on the bench.

I'm not saying it but one could argue that the 2008 Packer season is a long shot to be Championship-like.

"Ruining" the packer season just so Favre does not play for the Vikings is crazy....I still think we beat them with or without Favre playing QB for them.

]{ilr]3
08-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Well, I had to sign a non-compete contract to work for my employer. Even if they fire me I cannot go work for a direct competitor of theirs for the next 3 years. These types of contracts are very common in my field and I do not make any thing near what a rookie Pro-football player does. Farve was paid a kings ransom to do what he does and he signed a contract to only do for the Packers unless they decide differently. I don’t understand why anyone would think that Favre should simply be released????

mmmdk
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM

"Ruining" the packer season just so Favre does not play for the Vikings is crazy....I still think we beat them with or without Favre playing QB for them.

I see your point.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Gosh some of you guys are pathetic.

A little bit of summer stress that really doesn't affect any of us all that much, and you guys--some of you--are ready to throw in the towel? Idiocy like "let him go"? Negativity like we're headed for a less than championship season? Come on!

I have to admit, on some level, seeing Favre flop with the Vikings or Bears is an attractive prospect. However, are we forgetting, this is the same Brett Favre we have LOVED and ADMIRED for more than a decade and a half for all the wonderfulness he has given us. Do we really want to see him fail? I don't. And then there's the possibility that he WOULDN'T fail with those teams--fairly unlikely IMO, but possible.

Favre must not and will not be allowed to go to the Bears or Vikings.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM

I see your point.

I love the Packers and have enjoyed the excitement all of #4s career in GB but if he wants to play and we have no need of him just let him go...its that easy. Give him his chance to gain fame and glory once again even if it is with another team.....but I'll always be a Packer fan first and will trust that the guys running the show know what is best as far as player/personnel issues go so if they want to move on then fine.....but give him his chance.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM

I see your point.

I love the Packers and have enjoyed the excitement all of #4s career in GB but if he wants to play and we have no need of him just let him go...its that easy. Give him his chance to gain fame and glory once again even if it is with another team.....but I'll always be a Packer fan first and will trust that the guys running the show know what is best as far as player/personnel issues go so if they want to move on then fine.....but give him his chance.

And what does Green Bay get in return for the remaining 3 years on his contract? We can't just go giving Favre what Favre wants just because it's what Favre wants. We have to do what is best for the Packers, which means to hell with what Favre wants. Favre obviously does not want what is best for Green Bay if he is trying to stick it to Thompson. "Let me play for you or let me play against you" means "Let me play for you or let me beat the hell out of you for not letting me play for you". Why the hell would you reward an attitude like that?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Favre must not and will not be allowed to go to the Bears or Vikings.

Amen

The Gunshooter
08-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Obviously no one is going to get their way 100% so here is what I think gives everyone about 99% of what they want except for Minnesota who we all want to screw anyway. TT and MM get Rodgers as their starter and Favre gets 12 million to back him up. Favre lovers just know Rodgers won't make it to the 2nd quarter of game 1 without getting injured so the only trade off for them is Favre's consecutive game streak is ended for the satisfaction of seeing Rodgers written off forever.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
sure, gunshooter, that would be great. But Favre has talked very negatively of being a backup, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be an option.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
And what does Green Bay get in return for the remaining 3 years on his contract? We can't just go giving Favre what Favre wants just because it's what Favre wants. We have to do what is best for the Packers, which means to hell with what Favre wants. Favre obviously does not want what is best for Green Bay if he is trying to stick it to Thompson. "Let me play for you or let me play against you" means "Let me play for you or let me beat the hell out of you for not letting me play for you". Why the hell would you reward an attitude like that?

It sure sounds like they are trying to reward just that by giving him 20 million or so to not play. I say save the damn money and pay Grant and others and let Favre go. If you can get something out of a trade fine but if #4 refuses to budge then the commissar has no choice and has to reinstate him and things will really heat up then. It sure sounds like he is not just going to sit on the bench and be the good back up while you try and trade him. I just don't get why so many are intent on punishing Favre because he doesn't react the way so many of you want him to.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Obviously no one is going to get their way 100% so here is what I think gives everyone about 99% of what they want except for Minnesota who we all want to screw anyway. TT and MM get Rodgers as their starter and Favre gets 12 million to back him up. Favre lovers just know Rodgers won't make it to the 2nd quarter of game 1 without getting injured so the only trade off for them is Favre's consecutive game streak is ended for the satisfaction of seeing Rodgers written off forever.

We've thrown this one around before. I'd support it, but Brett will never agree to do this. He doesn't wanna be the #2 hoping and praying that Rodgers gets hurt so he can play again. Neither should anyone else. If Brett were to agree to be our backup this season, I truly hope that Rodgers stays healthy and productive so Favre doesn't have to come in. Moot issue, however, because Favre would never go for it.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I just don't get why so many are intent on punishing Favre because he doesn't react the way so many of you want him to.

He is not entitled to be a free agent. Why is holding him to his contract "punishing him"?

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
It sure sounds like they are trying to reward just that by giving him 20 million or so to not play. I say save the damn money and pay Grant and others and let Favre go. If you can get something out of a trade fine but if #4 refuses to budge then the commissar has no choice and has to reinstate him and things will really heat up then. It sure sounds like he is not just going to sit on the bench and be the good back up while you try and trade him. I just don't get why so many are intent on punishing Favre because he doesn't react the way so many of you want him to.

Freak Out, they are talking about an administrative salary. As in a coaches salary or executives salary. It would not count against the player cap. It would come out of Green Bay's coffers, just like Mike McCarthy's salary or Ted Thompson's salary or Bob Sander's salary. At least that's how I understand it. We'd still have the same amount of money under the cap to sign players either way. That comes from NFL shared revenue, not the Packer's coffers.

The Gunshooter
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
sure, gunshooter, that would be great. But Favre has talked very negatively of being a backup, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be an option.

What is wrong with a George Blanda role for him? We all know he can't last a whole season. I would respect him a hell of a lot more if he would just put the team first for a change instead of his own glory. You never know, he might just step in late in the season if Rodgers went down and help them win a Super Bowl.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM

What is wrong with a George Blanda role for him? We all know he can't last a whole season. I would respect him a hell of a lot more if he would just put the team first for a change instead of his own glory. You never know, he might just step in late in the season if Rodgers went down and help them win a Super Bowl.

That's a question you'd have to ask Brett Favre.

The Gunshooter
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
The thing is if TT and MM reached the same conclusion as me there is not a damn thing Favre could do about it except take it or go home like the big hollywood whore he has turned into.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 05:48 PM
The thing is if TT and MM reached the same conclusion as me there is not a damn thing Favre could do about it except take it or go home like the big hollywood whore he has turned into.

Why do you think Favre is acting like such a spoiled primadonna lately? TT and MM already have reached that conclusion. Hence why Favre has turned into the big hollywood whore. Favre isn't happy, so he's acting out trying to get his way. Cmon, we were all that age once. We can all relate.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Freak Out, they are talking about an administrative salary. As in a coaches salary or executives salary. It would not count against the player cap. It would come out of Green Bay's coffers, just like Mike McCarthy's salary or Ted Thompson's salary or Bob Sander's salary. At least that's how I understand it. We'd still have the same amount of money under the cap to sign players either way. That comes from NFL shared revenue, not the Packer's coffers.

Sorry...what I should have said was the millions we would be paying him to sit on the bench. What would his salary be for the next two years..? 24 Million?

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Sorry...what I should have said was the millions we would be paying him to sit on the bench. What would his salary be for the next two years..? 24 Million?

25 million actually. I wouldn't pay him that much money to sit on the bench either. I'm thinking this is what TT and MM meant when they'd find room for him if he wanted to come back, but in a different role. It might be coming to light what role they were thinking of, and it wasn't backup quarterback.

son of a vic
08-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm convinced some here would rather see Favre go elsewhere and succeed
at the Packers expense, than to see the TEAM DO WELL WITHOUT HIM.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 07:50 PM

I don't think so...most here love the Packers first....and Favre jocklicking comes second. :lol:

I want the Packers to win first..if the guys running the team think Rodgers is the guy at this point then fine...but I am not going to get all tweaked because Favre wants to play again and if he cant start for us wants to go where he has the best chance to win.

son of a vic
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe a little humble pie(back-up QB) would be an apropriate consequence for an ill advised decision. Instead of more crying.

Bretsky
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM

And some would like to see Favre succeed elsewhere AND the Packers succeed. It doesn't have to be one or the other ...although I'm sure several are cheering for him to miserably fail if he goes anywhere else

MJZiggy
08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
25 million actually. I wouldn't pay him that much money to sit on the bench either. I'm thinking this is what TT and MM meant when they'd find room for him if he wanted to come back, but in a different role. It might be coming to light what role they were thinking of, and it wasn't backup quarterback.

Wedge Buster, I'm telling you! :lol:

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 08:07 PM

And some would like to see Favre succeed elsewhere AND the Packers succeed. It doesn't have to be one or the other ...although I'm sure several are cheering for him to miserably fail if he goes anywhere else

I'll only cheer for him to fail miserably if he ends up a Viking. My love for the Packers and my hatred of all things Vikings would not allow me to root for the enemy, even if he is an old ally. If he were to go to the Jets I would root like hell for the Jets and the Packers to meet in the Super Bowl. And then I'd cheer for him to fail miserably anyway. :D

boiga
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll only cheer for him to fail miserably if he ends up a Viking. My love for the Packers and my hatred of all things Vikings would not allow me to root for the enemy, even if he is an old ally. If he were to go to the Jets I would root like hell for the Jets and the Packers to meet in the Super Bowl. And then I'd cheer for him to fail miserably anyway. :D

I'm in that camp as well. As long as he's not in purple and gold, I'll wish Brett well. For him to play for the vikings, though, would cause enough anger to wash away my gratitude for his last 16 years of service.

Like I said before, if a war hero turns traitor, he get's hanged like any other.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
so Brett wants to stick it to the Packers? Why shy away from it, the team is going to have to prove itself against good competition sooner or later so bring it on. Let him go to the Vikings or Bears. I for one would love to see it blow up in his face- playing for the vikings getting picked....priceless...

I for one am totally pro-Packers, but say we go 8-8 and the Vikes go 11-5 are you really gonna wanna see the Icon fail? This is rare ground, but I for one would root the 39 year old on in that case.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 03:28 AM
I for one am totally pro-Packers, but say we go 8-8 and the Vikes go 11-5 are you really gonna wanna see the Icon fail? This is rare ground, but I for one would root the 39 year old on in that case.

You don't live in Minnesota, do you? What if he played on the Bears?

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 04:18 AM
You don't live in Minnesota, do you?

I grew up in St. Paul and I have to say that if Favre played for the Vikings I would hope he went 0-16 and threw 700 interceptions and was sacked 1100 times.

If we're going to trade him in division, trade him to the Lions. Nobody really hates the Lions. It's like hating a sick puppy.

packrulz
08-02-2008, 08:14 AM
The Packers could get possibly a 2nd and 6th round pick for Favre from the viqueens, maybe more to throw out the tampering charges, and could unload his contract, & Favre would get to go to the team he wants and be the starter, win-win. Sure, he might burn the Pack, but that's not a given either, and you have to admit it would turn up the intensity level of those games, it would be a fistfight.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
The Packers could get possibly a 2nd and 6th round pick for Favre from the viqueens, maybe more to throw out the tampering charges, and could unload his contract, & Favre would get to go to the team he wants and be the starter, win-win. Sure, he might burn the Pack, but that's not a given either, and you have to admit it would turn up the intensity level of those games, it would be a fistfight.

I despise the Vikings like you wouldn't believe. If Favre ends up a Viking I hope he has by far the worst season of his career. As in 100 times worse than 2005. As in an entire season of TJ Rubley. The Vikings are the enemy. I do not cheer for the Vikings or any of thier players, including Ryan Longwell, Darren Sharper, or potentially Brett Favre. I root for them to FAIL, paying no attention to the names or faces.

I hope Favre takes the promotional gig with Green Bay and stays retired. It keeps Favre a part of the Packers family, while allowing Rodgers the opportunity he's prepared for and committed himself to. That's your win-win.

Pugger
08-02-2008, 02:11 PM
We - the Packers - cannot just release Favre and get nothing in return. That would be stupid. TT has stated he will not outright release him or trade him to a divisional foe. I'd like to know why lord Favre won't go to Tampa? I thought the guy wanted to play....?! :cnf:

Fritz
08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
You don't live in Minnesota, do you?

I grew up in St. Paul and I have to say that if Favre played for the Vikings I would hope he went 0-16 and threw 700 interceptions and was sacked 1100 times.

If we're going to trade him in division, trade him to the Lions. Nobody really hates the Lions. It's like hating a sick puppy.

Frickin' sick puppies. Hate 'em.