PDA

View Full Version : Goodell delays reinstatment yet again..

imscott72
08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Stunning..

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/01/no-favre-reinstatement-today-again.aspx

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
This is just ludicrous....Goodell is becoming a joke.

digitaldean
08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Listening to Werder reporting on ESPN was that the "marketing" deal had to be decided upon before reinstatement was decided on.

Just what I heard.....

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Listening to Werder reporting on ESPN was that the "marketing" deal had to be decided upon before reinstatement was decided on.

Just what I heard.....

Meaning he's trying to keep the pressure off TT and the Packers.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Exactly.

If Goodell wants this to get cleared up, just reinstate Brett and let him travel up to Green Bay. I guarantee Thompson would have a deal done within 5 minutes.

imscott72
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Just what I heard.....

Meaning he's trying to keep the pressure off TT and the Packers.

Goodell is out of hand now. He's way to involved in this imo. His job is simply to reinstatement him or not.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Exactly.

If Goodell wants this to get cleared up, just reinstate Brett and let him travel up to Green Bay. I guarantee Thompson would have a deal done within 5 minutes.

Yup. Can't the marketing deal wait until after he really really retires?

cpk1994
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Exactly.

Yup. Can't the marketing deal wait until after he really really retires?Not really, especially if it means he decides to accept the deal and retire again.

The Leaper
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Not really, especially if it means he decides to accept the deal and retire again.

The deal isn't contingent on retirement, and has nothing to do with whether or not Favre plays in 2008...or so the Packers say.

If that is true, the marketing agreement has nothing to do with what the Packers are going to do with Favre.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Not really, especially if it means he decides to accept the deal and retire again.

The deal isn't contingent on retirement, and has nothing to do with whether or not Favre plays in 2008...or so the Packers say.

If that is true, the marketing agreement has nothing to do with what the Packers are going to do with Favre.

In addition, there is something holding up reinstatement....Godell...there is nothing holding up Favre from retiring again right now or agreeing to a marketing deal/bribe.

pbmax
08-01-2008, 04:09 PM
So I have been on vacation for the last week, anything exciting happen? :shock: Look! Brian Brohm signed!

A couple of things; my first reaction is that if Favre takes the $20 million bribe, then I really question his motivation to play. If all you want to do is play, say no and give Goodell no reason not to reinstate you. Put the ball in his court. If money is no object, $12 million in one year should suffice.

Its become clear through two delays, the Packers are not willing to host the circus that has been the logical end of this game of chicken. Maybe its Harlan, the Exec Committee or Murphy who fear it, but they don't want to go the final yard.

Second, T2 had played it well until now, but with his bluff called someone changed the plan. That it was Murphy who went to Mississippi and made this offer was poorly conceived. Despite the story in the paper, it seems like a last minute ploy.

Third, Bus Cook could make a mint off this deal, as he would not be limited to the 3% commission agent make on the player contract. As a marketing deal, he could negotiate a new deal with Favre.

Fourth, when did Chilly start his discussions with Favre? If it was before the March unretire/retire deal, or before the retirement decision, then I think the case that he has been angling for his release since the Spring gets a lot stronger.

Last, why the Vikings if March was the time he made this decision? The Packer's hadn't moved past him yet. Was it because he would be the second option on the Vikings offense? Does Favre feel like he cannot be the focal point of an offense anymore? Did he see something more comforting in the Viking D and Peterson than he did with the Packer D and Grant (maybe)/Jackson?

Lurker64
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Second, T2 had played it well until now, but with his bluff called someone changed the plan. That it was Murphy who went to Mississippi and made this offer was poorly conceived.

I sincerely believe that this deal was first offered in March after Brett first retired, considering it's almost entirely analogous to the goodwill ambassador deal that Dan Marino signed after he retired.

I also sincerely doubt that "take the deal offered in March and stay retired" was the extent of the conversation Murphy had with Cook and Favre.

pbmax
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
That is entirely possible. But why is it an option now when it wasn't important in March?

Either Favre didn't want to sign it or the Packers saw no urgent need to push it. What has changed?

Does Favre really think he can't force this? Its clear the Packers don't want him at camp, much less backing up. They may accept it eventually over a trade to the Vikings, but it isn't their preferred option.

And the Packers have had several options to offer this prior to now. What has changed? Did they enlarge the offer? Or is this the brainchild of Goodell?

Second, T2 had played it well until now, but with his bluff called someone changed the plan. That it was Murphy who went to Mississippi and made this offer was poorly conceived.

I sincerely believe that this deal was first offered in March after Brett first retired, considering it's almost entirely analogous to the goodwill ambassador deal that Dan Marino signed after he retired.

I also sincerely doubt that "take the deal offered in March and stay retired" was the extent of the conversation Murphy had with Cook and Favre.

LL2
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Exactly.

Yup. Can't the marketing deal wait until after he really really retires?

You mean he didn't really really retire back in March? Perhaps Favre didn't really really mean what he said in March, or in his Fox interview, or what he told the highschool football guys the other day.....

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Edit: speculation on poster's intelligence deleted.

What deal do you imagine that TT is holding back on?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Its become clear through two delays, the Packers are not willing to host the circus that has been the logical end of this game of chicken. Maybe its Harlan, the Exec Committee or Murphy who fear it, but they don't want to go the final yard.

ya, I think you are right on. Just speculation, though.

I think Favre supporters have a very unrealistic view of what will happen when Favre arrives in GB. I can say one thing for sure: Favre is not going to be the QB of the Packers unless Rodgers is near death. And Favre is not up for the #2 job.

So think this through, Favre Fans. You are not going to get what you want. The Packer Org may be cornered into doing something unpleasant, and you may take some satisfaction at their misery and embarassment, but it will be a no win for all.

Rastak
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Man, there must be a bunch of arm twisting going on behind the scenes for Goodell to drag this out. What a weird friggen story.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Man, there must be a bunch of arm twisting going on behind the scenes for Goodell to drag this out. What a weird friggen story.

Maybe, but I think it is more like this: both sides have established their positions. Favre coming to GB will be pure misery for him, despite the fantasy that some of his fans have running through their heads. And obviously it will be hell for the team.

I want to believe that both parties realize they can hammer out some deal now as easily as they can in three weeks after much tension and stress for all.

Goodell would not be doing this without the approval of Favre. The Favre camp would be squawking "bloody murder" to Chris Mortenson otherwise. And Mortenson would then report it as "genocide!"

Rastak
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Maybe, but I think it is more like this: both sides have established their positions. Favre coming to GB will be pure misery for him, despite the fantasy that some of his fans have running through their heads. And obviously it will be hell for the team.

I want to believe that both parties realize they can hammer out some deal now as easily as they can in three weeks after much tension and stress for all.

Goodell would not be doing this without the approval of Favre. The Favre camp would be squawking "bloody murder" to Chris Mortenson otherwise. And Mortenson would then report it as "genocide!"

Here's the deal, there is absolutely no rational reason for Goodell to delay his reinstatement. The NFLPA could raise holy hell if they wanted to. It's obvious to me there is a bunch of arm twisting. This is straight forward. ]Favre wants to come back. Commish reinstates. What basis would he have to deny the request? None. Bizzaro world.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
If Favre plays this year, it's very likely that it will be for another team. Thus, I'm all for the delay. It just gives him less time to get acclimated to his new team (and its scheme), and I'm cool with that--especially if he goes to Minnesota.

Three cheers for Goodell.
:D

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Here's the deal, there is absolutely no rational reason for Goodell to delay his reinstatement.

Yes there is. FAvre wants it delayed. He doesn't want to be center of a circus if he can avoid it.

Give it up Rastak: Vikes aren't getting Favre.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Here's the deal, there is absolutely no rational reason for Goodell to delay his reinstatement. The NFLPA could raise holy hell if they wanted to. It's obvious to me there is a bunch of arm twisting. This is straight forward. ]Favre wants to come back. Commish reinstates. What basis would he have to deny the request? None. Bizzaro world.

First off, Gene Upshaw said even in light of recent developments he and his union are not involved and will not be involved unless Green Bay violates his contract. Until Goodell acts then there's nothing the NFLPA can do even if they wanted to.

Favre wants to come back on his terms only. It doesn't work that way, and I'm sure the NFLPA has taken notice of that fact. As has Roger Goodell.

Per Goodell, he will not do ANYTHING as long as talks between Favre and the Packers are progressing. There is no reason to place unnecessary pressure on either side if thier discussions are moving along. If they reach a standstill, then Goodell acts to speed things up. But he'd prefer they handle it on thier own without any external pressure. Basically, Goodell doesn't want to expedite a release when TT might be able to work out a deal if given time to do so. Remember, TT can't work out a deal if the papers aren't in, so this is only a couple days old. Give him some time.

imscott72
08-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's the deal, there is absolutely no rational reason for Goodell to delay his reinstatement.

Yes there is. FAvre wants it delayed. He doesn't want to be center of a circus if he can avoid it.

How do you figure Favre wants it delayed? He had the engines running on his damn plane for goodness sakes. I don't think this delay has anything to do with Favre.

Gunakor
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM

How do you figure Favre wants it delayed? He had the engines running on his damn plane for goodness sakes. I don't think this delay has anything to do with Favre.

True, but he's also reported to be considering the Packers marketing offer. As long as he's considering that offer, why would Goodell reinstate him and put a timetable on his decision?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 07:37 PM

It is done with Favre's approval. He is now evaluating some offers, more than likely.

If this was Goodell sticking his dick in Favre's butt you would hear Favre's screams through ESPN.

MJZiggy
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM

I thought Murphy going down to talk to Favre was Goodell's idea in the first place. I think he may want the media circus less than Favre and TT put together.

Bretsky
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM

It is done with Favre's approval. He is now evaluating some offers, more than likely.

If this was Goodell sticking his dick in Favre's butt you would hear Favre's screams through ESPN.

I agree with Rastak; I've been wrong plenty of times lately but I think this delay is at the request of GB and not Favre. Favre was ready to come days ago. It really doesn't hurt him to show up but it forces GB to speed things up if he still wants to play.

I also don't buy the notion that Favre whines at anything that doesn't go his way; he's done his share of whining but he's shut up for a while and it seems to has been alright in giving the Packers more time when they asked for it. So why all the anti Favre sentiment HH ? He's not nearly as evil as you portray him to be; both sides are just out for their own best interests

boiga
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
One other thing to remember is that Favre apparently had a long conversation with Goodell on Thursday. If he had been adamant about returning to camp, he could have forced the issue then. Goodell's been working with both sides on this one... but who knows if it will have any effect.

Fritz
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Edit: speculation on poster's intelligence deleted.

What deal do you imagine that TT is holding back on?

Leaper and I don't often agree, but I think he's right here, Blue Dog. I believe that if Favre is reinstated and starts packing his cleats (do you think he has any of his own football stuff or is it all in Green Bay?), Ted will be forced to seriously consider and perhaps execute the option a few of us now desire: trade Favre to Minny.

It's clear Favre=as=backup will do nothing but prolong the agony for everyone - Favre, Rodgers, the team, the fans, the coaches, the management. So if Favre shows up, it would seem the team is desperate now to be rid of him. But he won't talk to the teams that have shown interest publicly - Tampa and New York. So ship him where he seems to want to go. Get a second rounder or some damn thing.

Get something for him, and let's just see how the season plays out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with Rastak; I've been wrong plenty of times lately but I think this delay is at the request of GB and not Favre. Favre was ready to come days ago. It really doesn't hurt him to show up but it forces GB to speed things up if he still wants to play.

I don't care who's idea the delay was, but if Favre were unhappy about the delay, why is he not grousing? He is likely deciding on the offer the PAckers made to him. This is by far the most likely explanation.

So why all the anti Favre sentiment HH ? He's not nearly as evil as you portray him to be; both sides are just out for their own best interests

Well, again, I reject the "everybody's at fault so nobody's at fault" blurring. The team has taken a difficult situation and handled about as well as can be expected, right from the start. Favre has used his celebrity to demand that he be coach and GM of the PAckers. And his dewey-eyed fans let him get away with it.

I have lost all respect for Favre, even if I still admire some of the qualities that made him a winner in football. If this saga was just about playing football, he could have gone to Tampa to play with a decent team. His loyalty is not to the PAckers, it is to Brett Favre's ego. He was looking for another year of being the cock of the walk, on a SB contender like the Packers or MN.

I think we'll see him take the cash offer from the Packers, that is the best remaining option left for him to have his ego stroked.

GrnBay007
08-01-2008, 11:43 PM
His loyalty is not to the PAckers, it is to Brett Favre's ego.

Wait, let me see if I got this right....

I've been told the Packers don't have to show loyalty to Brett Favre because this is big business....nothing more.

But it can't be all business with Brett Favre and he needs to show his loyalty to the Packers? :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Packers showed Favre great loyalty. They did everything within reason to insure that he could finish his career in GB.

Favre put them behind the eight-ball with his late unretirement. I'm not blaming him for changing his mind, but his tactics and demands have been over the top.

The Shadow
08-02-2008, 12:03 AM
The Commish need to formally recognize Favre as an Alltime Complete Asshat.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I was talking to my boss today about this shit, and he made a valid point, that no matter what Goodell says/does, he's still management and will never go against that, thus siding with the BS in GB in not letting Brett have any leverage. Makes me sick as I've been a staunch supporter of TT, MM, but this shit has gone too far. Regardless of sides, politics, who the fuck can be Packer fan and NOT want Brett to play if he is "said" motivated and wants to play. Was he NOT the 2nd leading votegetter over 1000's of 2007 NFL players for MVP last year, this shit is sickening.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 04:09 AM
I was talking to my boss today about this shit, and he made a valid point, that no matter what Goodell says/does, he's still management and will never go against that, thus siding with the BS in GB in not letting Brett have any leverage. Makes me sick as I've been a staunch supporter of TT, MM, but this shit has gone too far. Regardless of sides, politics, who the fuck can be Packer fan and NOT want Brett to play if he is "said" motivated and wants to play. Was he NOT the 2nd leading votegetter over 1000's of 2007 NFL players for MVP last year, this shit is sickening.

Well, back in March I clearly recall him setting this all in motion by saying he was done, didn't want to do it anymore, and it's over. Ted Thompson has an organization to run, and his team needs to know who it's quarterback is. He moved on because Brett forced him to. TT isn't doing this to stick it to Brett, he's doing this because he made a committment and is sticking to it. That's more than you can say about Favre. This isn't just about football anymore. It's not just about winning and losing. It's about a committment to players who are actually ON the roster, and a committment to moving forward in the interest of long term success.

I fail to understand why people think Favre has earned the right to waffle, to act the dumbass, to insult certain members of the franchise, to skip mandatory offseason work, to create a big media distraction as the team is preparing for the new season, etc., and still come back as if nothing happened.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 07:08 AM

I don't care who's idea the delay was, but if Favre were unhappy about the delay, why is he not grousing? He is likely deciding on the offer the PAckers made to him. This is by far the most likely explanation.

So why all the anti Favre sentiment HH ? He's not nearly as evil as you portray him to be; both sides are just out for their own best interests

Well, again, I reject the "everybody's at fault so nobody's at fault" blurring. The team has taken a difficult situation and handled about as well as can be expected, right from the start. Favre has used his celebrity to demand that he be coach and GM of the PAckers. And his dewey-eyed fans let him get away with it.

I have lost all respect for Favre, even if I still admire some of the qualities that made him a winner in football. If this saga was just about playing football, he could have gone to Tampa to play with a decent team. His loyalty is not to the PAckers, it is to Brett Favre's ego. He was looking for another year of being the cock of the walk, on a SB contender like the Packers or MN.

I think we'll see him take the cash offer from the Packers, that is the best remaining option left for him to have his ego stroked.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

and

:knll:

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 07:43 AM

If that is true, the marketing agreement has nothing to do with what the Packers are going to do with Favre.You are missing my point. Why should Goodell reinstate Favre now if there is a possibility Favre decides to accept the deal AND then chooses to stay retired?

Also, the probable reason that Goodell is delaying this is becuase of something that is happening in Canton, OH this weekend. Something that Goodell doesn't want overshadowed.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 07:56 AM

If that is true, the marketing agreement has nothing to do with what the Packers are going to do with Favre.You are missing my point. Why should Goodell reinstate Favre now if there is a possibility Favre decides to accept the deal AND then chooses to stay retired?

Also, the probable reason that Goodell is delaying this is becuase of something that is happening in Canton, OH this weekend. Something that Goodell doesn't want overshadowed.

Excellent point about the HOF ceremony.

Fritz
08-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Here's a paragraph (just a paragraph, mad!) from today's JSO about that 20 mill offer and how accepting it might affect Favre's playing football this year:

"There is only a small window through which a player who has a non-playing contract with a club can still apply for reinstatement, but it closes well before the start of the regular season. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that the rule existed and said any player on the reserve/retired list who was employed by a club off the field would not be eligible for the roster after the cut-down to 75 players.

This year, the deadline for teams to cut their rosters to 75 is 3 p.m. Aug. 26."

GHiven how things have gone, here's one possible sceneario:

Favre accepts the settlement on Sunday, August 3rd. He says he's thrilled to be a Packer for life. He says it's been rough but he's glad it's over. TT says same stuff - it's been rough, Brett's the man, and so on. Fence-mending begins.

On Friday, August 15th, rumors begin that Favre really would like to play. He's having second (or third or fourth) thoughts. Favre puts out a fague denial through his friend Al Jones.

On August 24th, Favre files for re-reinstatement.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 09:39 AM
IF BRett did that, he wouyld lose almost all of the fanbase he has left.

Fritz
08-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Minnesota fans would line up to kiss his rear end after his first touchdown toss in a Vikings' uniform.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 09:45 AM
True, but if Brett accepted the Packers offer, retired and re-reinstated again as you theorize, he more than likely pisses off Goodell. You don't dick around the commsih.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I mean, it not like the Commish has any interest in avoiding a media circus during the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. He clearly has no interest for one of the League's signature franchises and iconic players to stop embarrassing themselves daily.

And it cannot be that Goodell has come to the realization that the only way this ends quickly is for Favre to stay retired and the only way to do that might be to pay him to stay retired. The alternative is for him to reinstate, media circus to ensue, Packer's trade him without his consent for a bag of doughnuts or the Packer's to release him the weekend before the first game.

Guiness
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM

I agree that the NFLPA would be kicking up a storm IF Favre didn't tell him it was ok to delay the re-enstatement.

Here's my take: Brett filed to let the Pack know he's serious about playing again this year. He was getting a lot of bad PR for saying he wanted to play, and not filing for re-instatement. Pretty much every poster to a one here said that's what he had to do.

So he has, and now the ball is in the Pack's court, pressure is on them to act, and they are taking the PR hit if they don't. You could see the sentiment around here change after news came out that he filed.

HOWEVER, he probably doesn't want to actually be in GB at this point, and the Pack certainly doesn't want him there. If the re-instatement was done, he'd be contractually obligated to be here, and the team could fine him if he wasn't!!!

So, I think he and the Pack told Goodell it's ok to not process the papers.

I dunno :?: Makes as much sense as anything else!

Bub
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Both sides are for this delay. If this delay made BF that angry surely you'd hear it from his agent, the guy in the barbershop, his dog, a guy he once played with in elementary school, friends and family. I think both sides of this have agreed to have this delayed while they work on things. Why would you "officially" come out of retirement and the next day retire again. I wonder if he were officially reinstated if that would delay his HOF induction?

Don't be so quick to blast Goodell and whatever other popular target. This isn't some conspiracy....get a hold of yourself.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Both sides are for this delay. If this delay made BF that angry surely you'd hear it from his agent, the guy in the barbershop, his dog, a guy he once played with in elementary school, friends and family. I think both sides of this have agreed to have this delayed while they work on things. Why would you "officially" come out of retirement and the next day retire again. I wonder if he were officially reinstated if that would delay his HOF induction?

Don't be so quick to blast Goodell and whatever other popular target. This isn't some conspiracy....get a hold of yourself.You forgot his pilot! :lol:

Seriously, yes Favres HOF would be delayed as with reinstatement he would be an active player. Same as with Reggie White when he unretired. Had to wait until five years after his re-retirement.