PDA

View Full Version : The Gang of 10

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 06:34 PM
A group of senators from both parties, including Kent Conrad from North Dakota and Mary Landrieu, both Democrats from states with large majorities of relatively conservative people, are proposing legislation to enable off-shore drilling for oil--as Harry Reid and the Democrat majority leadership have blocked from even coming to a vote.

The drilling would be as close as 50 miles off shore, and only off states whose legislatures have voted support for drilling.

The wacko environmentalists will hate this; The Dem/lib leadership will hate this; One would expect that Obama would hate this, as he has blatantly opposed drilling for our own oil for so long. Obama, however, in true Clinton-esque slickness and Kerry-esque flip-flopping, has even made a recent pro-drilling for our own oil statement. Good. We can use his vote--although I doubt he would give it.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:36 PM
The question is too broad so I vote AGAINST. I am cautious, and would let states decide.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 06:38 PM
The question is too broad so I vote AGAINST. I am cautious, and would let states decide.

For what reason?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
the States can better protect the environment. its easier to support drilling and mining in somebody else's backyard.

I was listening to Gov Schwarznegger. He supports expanding drilling, and like McCain thinks the states should decide. Of course, he says CA wants no part of endangering their eco system, but its ok with him if other states proceed.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
First of all you can drill offshore now in Alaska....and there are loads of places in the NPR where you can drill and the FEDs have sold a boatload of leases. But you have to be damn careful of where you drill and in certain areas it should be banned...but you cannot just say "all offshore drilling is banned in US territorial waters".

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
ya, the question is too broad. it's case by case.

Freak Out
08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
the States can better protect the environment. its easier to support drilling and mining in somebody else's backyard.

I was listening to Gov Schwarznegger. He supports expanding drilling, and like McCain thinks the states should decide. Of course, he says CA wants no part of endangering their eco system, but its ok with him if other states proceed.

What about on Federal lands within the State? The Federal Government owns much of the land in Alaska (60 percent) and the State has little say in some situations. This is not as easy as many, in and out of the Government make it out to be.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Right now, the decision has been taken OUT of the hands of the states. This bill would return the states that ability--but only a few states that have already voted the desire to drill off shore.

Yeah yeah, I know. My poll was more general than just the bill.

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm against just drilling everywhere.

I'm for exploring a few new areas, combined with a comprehensive shift of focus to wind and solar energy.