PDA

View Full Version : Grant wants 40 million...

boiga
08-02-2008, 12:25 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779147

Are you freak'n kidding me? Herman made a big mistake by releasing this to the media because he just lost all reasonable support. I agree that Grant deserves a raise, but this amount of guaranteed money for so little accomplished makes no sense to me.

If Grant came to camp on the rookie salary and had the same amount of success next year, I could understand this amount of reinbursement... but asking so much so early is not going to get him anywhere.

Grant needs a new agent.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure how unfair it is really (sounds like he'd have to put up outrageous numbers to get close to that total), but it goes to show you that you can't believe anything an agent says. How many people threw Thompson under the bus when the story from Grant's agent came out? Of course, those people always throw Thompson under the bus. I'm figuring the team's offer wasn't so outlandish. Hopefully, they'll meet in the middle. Soon.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 12:30 AM
The did mention the 40MIL would not be achieved unless he had a few 2,000 yard seasons.

Regardless, Grant seems to be asking too much.

Maybe GB should just offer him a one year 2.5MIL Deal and let him prove himself again this year ??

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 12:31 AM
:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

Zool
08-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Well according to the article, for him to get anywhere near that $40mil he would need 2000 yards in a season in 08 or 09. Sure sounds like the upfront money is the sticking point other than the $10mil in 2010 if he hits 2k yards in a single season. That seems high, like the agents been smokin high.

Give the guy $3mil for a bonus this season and work off incentives.

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 12:34 AM
TT is the fall guy for those who have to find a villain.

Though I don't like some of his draft/personnel moves he has moved this team in the right direction.

Grant is crazy if he keeps this agent.

Most fans are having a look of :whaa: after reading that number for half a season of work.

boiga
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Maybe GB should just offer him a one year 2.5MIL Deal and let him prove himself again this year ??They own him for three years anyways, so a one year deal doesn't really seem feasible. The first thing that Herman and the Packers agreed on was to arrange a 6 year deal.

But if Grant is holding out already, what's the point of arranging a long term excessively lucrative deal with him? He'll hold out if he thinks that he is being underpaid anyways.

The Packers own Grant, so he should understand that holding out for Hester money will only give B-jack the opportunity to steal his place on the roster. I'm supporting management on this one. Herman needs to get a clue.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
There are things he can be criticized for, but paying his own hasn't been one of them--not since the first year when he was in salary cap hell and wanted to get younger anyways. Some guys have gone elsewhere, but it was usually because somebody overpaid (Ahman Green) or overpaid (Corey Williams) and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse (2nd round pick)

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 12:51 AM
In reality, I love Grant (for the last 10 games), but why give a guy $6.66 million on average a year who has 3 years of exclusive rights? Hmm....Straight evil I tell ya ($6.66 million)??

The Gunshooter
08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
The Packers offer is extremely fair but stop with the 6 year deals already. Give Grant 7 days to accept 2.5 million for this year and 3 for next year or forget the guy exists. Make an example out of the bastard. What usually happens with holdout running backs is they come in late and are not in football shape and they get injured. You got to get hit to get ready for the season for the proper conditioning and bone density or you are asking for trouble. That is my theory why Rodgers had a problem staying healthy. The guy doesn't get hit until deep into the season and he is thrown against defenses that just knocked Favre out. If they knock Favre out what do you expect them to do with a green Rodgers?

I wanted Michael Turner this offseason because Grant is not a grinder and is not the kind of guy that is going to wear down a good defense, he is a homerun hitter. GB can not rely on Grant to break tackles and gain the tough short yardage except maybe a $hit road team like Seattle. Grant and Turner would fix GB's running attack. Grant could not pull this crap with Turner here.

GB needs to be careful with overpaying guys like Grant. He is not Ahman Green and doesn't deserve anywhere near 5 million per.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:22 AM
The Packers offer is extremely fair but stop with the 6 year deals already. Give Grant 7 days to accept 2.5 million for this year and 3 for next year or forget the guy exists. Make an example out of the bastard. What usually happens with holdout running backs is they come in late and are not in football shape and they get injured. You got to get hit to get ready for the season for the proper conditioning and bone density or you are asking for trouble. That is my theory why Rodgers had a problem staying healthy. The guy doesn't get hit until deep into the season and he is thrown against defenses that just knocked Favre out. If they knock Favre out what do you expect them to do with a green Rodgers?

I wanted Michael Turner this offseason because Grant is not a grinder and is not the kind of guy that is going to wear down a good defense, he is a homerun hitter. GB can not rely on Grant to break tackles and gain the tough short yardage except maybe a $hit road team like Seattle. grant and Turner would of fixed GB running attack. Grant could not pull this crap with Turner here.

GB needs to be careful with overpaying guys like Grant. He is not Ahman Green and doesn't deserve anywhere near 5 million per.

Exactly...Give him some money and do a 6 year with pure excentives....he has to produce to do it...Ahman was the man, but those guys wear down...and I don't have exact stats, but wasn't GB one of the very worst in getting a 3rd or 4th and 1 yard???

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 01:23 AM
How many people threw Thompson under the bus when the story from Grant's agent came out? Of course, those people always throw Thompson under the bus.

I hear he's had a sofa and tv installed under that space because he spends so much time there...

The Gunshooter
08-02-2008, 01:25 AM
That's right. They suck in short yardage. They need a Larry Csonka/John Riggins type dude and not have Grant suck up big bucks so they can't afford someone to compliment him.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2008, 01:26 AM
How many people threw Thompson under the bus when the story from Grant's agent came out? Of course, those people always throw Thompson under the bus.

I hear he's had a sofa and tv installed under that space because he spends so much time there...

You got it wrong, GM's are very busy with 18 hour days, TT spends his time consoling the young boy tied up in his crawlspace. :lol:

mmmdk
08-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Say goodbye to Ryan Grant as the starter in GB unless he caves in very soon.

gbpackfan
08-02-2008, 05:06 AM
6 years! 40 million! Even with incentives that is high!

Grant needs to come back to earth a little bit. He has started 9 games in his career. Or about that. He needs to tell his agent to get a deal done.

Is it just me or does Grant's agent rub you the wrong way? (insert perverted joke here)

mission
08-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Grant seems twice as valuable to the Packers than Favre...

20 mil

x

I say "pay ze'man his money" (KGB/Rounders voice)

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Grant seems twice as valuable to the Packers than Favre...

I'd say the important difference is that if the Packers sign Favre to this goodwill ambassador position, his job will be in a non-football capacity and won't count against the cap and won't impact what contracts we can offer both to free agents and as extensions. Grant's deal, however, will count against the salary cap and if the Packers blow it by overpaying him if he does burn out quickly, that will have negative repercussions as to the contracts we can offer other people.

I think the Packers are right in claiming that the incentive bonuses should kick in at 1250 yards and not 1000. 1000 yards rushing in the modern era is not a particularly notable accomplishment for a back who stays healthy.

I do think that 40 million is a exorbitant price to demand for a player in Grant's position, but I hope they can't be far from a deal.

SkinBasket
08-02-2008, 06:50 AM
"A little bit of progress was made on Thursday," agent Alan Herman said Friday night. "For a team with $30 million worth of cap room, and Ryan's ability, I thought we would be much further along."

Jesus Fuck. I take it this guy was an ambulance chaser before he was an agent. The whole, "Hey they have money available, it should belong to me," attitude sits worse with me than the fact that he's spilling every detail of their negotiations to the press. How some of these people get, and keep, jobs is astounding.

The Leaper
08-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Honestly, I don't think Grant's side is being as unreasonable as some on here make it seem. Clearly, the deal is very incentive laden...the $40M figure ain't happening unless Grant puts up 2000 yards on the ground in either 2008 or 2009.

If he does that, are you honestly telling me he isn't worth $40M over 6 years? You can count the guys in NFL history who have done that on one hand.

He's not asking for $40M based on last season. $40M only comes if he proves himself over the next two...both sides have apparently agreed that how he performs in 2008 and 2009 will mostly determine the course of this 6 year deal.

If the Packers want the escalation to start at 1250 yards...fine. However, if they indeed are offering quite a bit less incentive money on top of that, which is what Grant's agent contends, that seems cheap to me. I'm sure the Packers are pissed that Grant's agent is going public with details...but they've had months to get this hammered out, and at some point you have to expect the agent to play hardball.

The Leaper
08-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Please note...I'm not saying Grant should get a boatload of cash. However, I think there is at least SOME truth to Grant's side saying the Packers are being stingy.

I really don't mind the Packers being stingy, though. However, I won't be happy if this leads to a decrease in performance on the ground this season.

falco
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Please note...I'm not saying Grant should get a boatload of cash. However, I think there is at least SOME truth to Grant's side saying the Packers are being stingy.

I really don't mind the Packers being stingy, though. However, I won't be happy if this leads to a decrease in performance on the ground this season.

leaper - i don't like 99% of what you post, but i am 100% on board with you here

i also think the numbers are outrageous

but look at it this way - this will probably be grant's only blockbuster contract (he'll be 31 when it is done, so there is a chance for another, but how likely?)

assuming he puts up multiple 2000 yard seasons - one would have to argue that he would be worth $6/mil year

the real question has to be, assuming he does not perform, what are the base salaries, and what is the signing bonus

imscott72
08-02-2008, 08:56 AM

leaper - i don't like 99% of what you post, but i am 100% on board with you here

i also think the numbers are outrageous

but look at it this way - this will probably be grant's only blockbuster contract (he'll be 31 when it is done, so there is a chance for another, but how likely?)

assuming he puts up multiple 2000 yard seasons - one would have to argue that he would be worth $6/mil year

the real question has to be, assuming he does not perform, what are the base salaries, and what is the signing bonus

Exactly. The incentives are one thing, but if the base and the signing bonus numbers are huge, you can't cut the guy 2-3 yrs into the deal without taking a fat ass cap hit. What we really need to know and what the article failed to indicate is how much of that 40 mill is guaranteed. The article did state that he wants a 4 mill bonus in year one and a 3 mill in year two, so we're already at 7 mill guaranteed in the first two years. I think that's way too much for a guy that played half a season. I agree with TT here.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Getting to 2000 yards is rare even if your name is OJ, Terrell or Barry. Those numbers are for the agent's recruiting brochure.

Most to the point is the upfront money in years 1,2 and 3. The Packers are offering half of what is being asked in 1 and 2, he article doesn't seem specific about year 3.

The reason they may be offering less is the sticking point mentioned about triggering performance bonuses. If Hermann's first trigger is 1000 yards, that is quite common in the era of 16 games. The article mentions 186 over a recent period of time. The Packer's first trigger is at 1250 yards, less than half as common.

And the agent did not release this info, this is the Packers striking back. Seems like T2 has loosened the restriction of commenting when the agent slams your offer.

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
It's not too out of line. If he performs at those levels (I highly doubt) he'll be a bargain at todays prices.

If they can get it down to 6 years between 25 and 35 million depending on incentives and 3.5 million up front I think it would be pretty reasonable. The agent makes it tempting to just stop calling though. I think Brandon Jackson has a chance.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
The article states:
a source said Grant was seeking a signing bonus of $500,000 and a roster bonus of $4 million this season, in addition to a minimal base salary. In 2009, the source said the proposal included a $3 million roster bonus and a base salary of about $1 million.

Only the signing bonus is guaranteed. Roster bonuses are not necessarily guaranteed. They might be asking the Packers to do this, but since this is likely the Packer's (or someone Packer friendly) leaking this, if guarantees were part of an incentive laden contract, then I think they would have made their way into the article. Its not proof, but the absence is suggestive. I doubt seven million in the first two years is guaranteed.

Exactly. The incentives are one thing, but if the base and the signing bonus numbers are huge, you can't cut the guy 2-3 yrs into the deal without taking a fat ass cap hit. What we really need to know and what the article failed to indicate is how much of that 40 mill is guaranteed. The article did state that he wants a 4 mill bonus in year one and a 3 mill in year two, so we're already at 7 mill guaranteed in the first two years. I think that's way too much for a guy that played half a season. I agree with TT here.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
He might have chased ambulances before, but it was 25 years ago. He has been an agent since 1983.

His agency had sixteen players in this years draft and they were the agents for Brandon Chillar.

More than likely, rather that Thompson being obstinate, or Herman being an unqualified ambulance chaser, what is killing them is the lack of similar contracts so they have less unknowns to haggle over.

There aren't many undrafted 3rd year players who are in line for a substantial pay increase after 9 good games. And I don't think we want to look at Tom Brady's contract.

I take it this guy was an ambulance chaser before he was an agent. The whole, "Hey they have money available, it should belong to me," attitude sits worse with me than the fact that he's spilling every detail of their negotiations to the press. How some of these people get, and keep, jobs is astounding.

The Gunshooter
08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Grant's agent is asking for $8.5 million for the next two year BEFORE incentives. That is double what he is worth right now.

Fritz
08-02-2008, 09:37 AM
PB's got a good point. There is a big difference in getting 1000 yards and getting 1250. If that's a major sticking point, meet in the middle: make it 1,125 yards to trigger stuff.

Another point worth mentioning is that part of the reason Grant is near his prime without much experience is that he's been hurt a lot in the past. Football-related or not, that's a factor since it's happened twice.

Or there's this: I don't know why TT can't load him up front this year, anyway. The money is there. You pay-as-you go - shell it out up front. If Grant is good, he's worth it. If he's not, he won't get paid after that. He won't be a drag on your sal cap in the future.

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I would think Grant should get about 3 mil this year, 3 mil next year and then the bigger salaries would kick in after that if he performs well.

It's a hell of a lot better than 400,000.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
When you start throwing words like 'stingy' around, we also have to keep in mind that whatever deal the Packers come up with right now is sort of a "gift" recall, because they don't actually HAVE to do anything and Grant could find himself a relatively "poor" man in football terms for another year if the Packers decide he's being unreasonable and call off negotiations. Herman needs to tread carefully here because he's bargaining for a client with no bargaining power except public perception. It's been suggested he prove himself for one more year before the big contract and I'm thinking that maybe they just renegotiate this season, take out a huge injury insurance policy and get on with it. He missed training camp last year, it would be a shame to do it again...

Guiness
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
"A little bit of progress was made on Thursday," agent Alan Herman said Friday night. "For a team with $30 million worth of cap room, and Ryan's ability, I thought we would be much further along."

Jesus Fuck. I take it this guy was an ambulance chaser before he was an agent. The whole, "Hey they have money available, it should belong to me," attitude sits worse with me than the fact that he's spilling every detail of their negotiations to the press. How some of these people get, and keep, jobs is astounding.

Um, ya, that's about my attitude. Just because the Pack has money, they should give it to him?????

Let me give you a real life analogy. And I mean close to home. I'm in court with my soon to be ex-wife. She's seeking exorbiant amounts of spousal support. Her lawyer's reason? "She's $3500/month in the red, and his financial statement shows $3500/month excess, so really, his money should be used to fill her hole"

So...because I've got good financial planning, and she spends everything she gets her hands on, I should give her my savings? Nyet.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh, the joke I could make out of that....

I suppose it's a nice angle if you can get away with it...

DonHutson
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM

That was the line that got me too. The fact that the cap room is there has absolutely nothing to do with Grant's value.

Actually, it seemed to me they weren't as far apart as I had assumed. They've agreed on 6 years, the Packers are offering 75% of what Grant wants in incentives, and they differ by 250 yards per season as to where the incentives start.

If I'm the Packers I'm willing to let the incentives start closer to 1,000 yards if Grant gets real about the numbers. If Grant's agent ever gets off the phone with the media and on the phone with the Packers they should get it sorted pretty quick.

rbaloha1
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
RG had a very good half season.

However this does not warrant $4 million in guaranteed money. While RG is most likely not Samkan Gado $4 million is still too much to pay.

If the Packers are unable to sign RG a trade is in order. Maybe packaged with BF?

Packers Nation, Brandon Jackson could ultimately be a better running back than RG. Brandon is more explosive with better power. Brandon never goes down after initial contact. With more experience Brandon, improves in seeing the cutback lanes; although he does not possess RG's vision.

Have faith Packers Nation.

NewsBruin
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm going to see what comparable deals are for running backs, as I really have no context for what Grant should get. I remember guys getting $7.5million/per in this offseason, and I believe Michael Turner's contract is pretty high for a never-starter.

I think Grant should be given a pair of roster bonuses (non-guaranteed, as I'd want that cap hit NOW, rather than over the length of his contract) and a signing bonus. He may hate his contract later (RB's are very likely to get precedent-breaking superstar contracts), but if he's paid fair now, that's going to go a long way.

I want to say this part because it's standard posting practice to assume the most extreme viewpoint about other posters who disagree. I've been siding against TT on how he's handled Favre's and Grant's issues, but I want it to be clear I think he's done an excellent job in compiling a talented roster with guys most fans and media have never heard. Then he goes and signs Charles Woodson in what I thought was an overloaded contract for a brittle dude on his downside. This man knows how to identify players. What's more, I've yet to hear of us having to cut a guy because we've thrown in some Steve McNair-esque $50 million roster bonus payment or another dufus backloaded contract.

I like Thompson. I like that he keeps a low profile, and that he's interested in building a winner without being a jock-sniffer for big-money deals. I think his "us vs. them" negotiating mentality needs tweaking and he could start at somewhere higher than the basement.

imscott72
08-02-2008, 11:51 AM
The article states:
a source said Grant was seeking a signing bonus of $500,000 and a roster bonus of $4 million this season, in addition to a minimal base salary. In 2009, the source said the proposal included a $3 million roster bonus and a base salary of about $1 million.

Only the signing bonus is guaranteed. Roster bonuses are not necessarily guaranteed. They might be asking the Packers to do this, but since this is likely the Packer's (or someone Packer friendly) leaking this, if guarantees were part of an incentive laden contract, then I think they would have made their way into the article. Its not proof, but the absence is suggestive. I doubt seven million in the first two years is guaranteed.

Why would Grant accept only half a million guaranteed? That doesn't make sense..If the roster bonus and the base aren't guaranteed the contract is worthless to him especially if he were to get hurt.

NewsBruin
08-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Are we shifting our support to Brandon Jackson because he's NOT RYAN GRANT or because he shows promise as a starter?

I'm not sold on Jackson as our starter, because since his draft profile, he's been projected as a guy with decent speed, but not quickness or elusiveness and suspect durability. Until the last game of season against Detroit (with Grant resting), he never had more than 40 yards in a regular season game. His ypc went up from his starting games, but 2.7 won't cut it very long.

There's been a lot of praise for his muscle gain in the offseason and assumed understanding of the game, but I'm concerned that it will make him less escapeable. Pre-season praise would lead you to believe we have 80 Pro Bowlers (You learn this after a decade of being a Baylor fan). I'm going to have to see it done against first-stringers.

I want to be proven wrong, but I don't think we can get 100-yard games out of Brandon for a full season. I think he'll get bottled up in the first or second levels. He's played in only 8 regular season games (vs. Grant's 12) and only exceeded 40 yards ONCE.

I want to see Brandon Jackson, Wynn, and Grant become a 3-headed attack (along with our fullback pair), but I don't see where the love for Jackson over Grant is warranted, especially if the primary criteria is "Who will give us the best chance to win?"

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
pack havn horrendous off season

no brett = NO WAY we beat cowgirls!!

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I would think Grant should get about 3 mil this year, 3 mil next year and then the bigger salaries would kick in after that if he performs well.

It's a hell of a lot better than 400,000.

that sounds about right to me

Guiness
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
NB, I don't know if Jackson gives us the best chance to win, but with the way Grant's contract negotiations have dragged on, even as all the rookies have signed and are in camp, it's looking VERY likely that BJ will be the starter come opening night.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 12:43 PM

We didn't do so well at beating them with him. (that always drove me nuts as those smarmy bastards need to get beat every now and again)

NewsBruin
08-02-2008, 12:51 PM
We didn't do so well at beating them with him. (that always drove me nuts as those smarmy bastards need to get beat every now and again)

Going to college in Texas during the Cowboy Dynasty was what made me rediscover my Packer roots.

The Shadow
08-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Very true. Deer in the headlights.

Old School
08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Grant is letting his agent make him appear to be the reicarnation of Javon Walker.

DonHutson
08-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Grant is letting his agent make him appear to be the reicarnation of Javon Walker.

That's pushing it. Walker decided the contract he signed wasn't good enough. Grant is not under contract. He can't go anywhere else, but he's not under contract. And Grant does deserve more than the minimum tender the Packers offered.

Grant is in a unique scenario as an older inexperienced player who's had some success. I don't blame him for wanting to get a decent contract now because he'll be pushing the end of his prime years by the time he's an unrestricted free agent. But he has nowhere else to go and if he doesn't want to push FA off another year he'll need to get something done.

I predict they'll bicker for another couple of weeks then it will come to a rapid conclusion two weeks before the regular season.

LL2
08-02-2008, 01:46 PM
NB, I don't know if Jackson gives us the best chance to win, but with the way Grant's contract negotiations have dragged on, even as all the rookies have signed and are in camp, it's looking VERY likely that BJ will be the starter come opening night.

I wouldn't have a problem with Jackson being the starter. He was starting to figure things out and getting a running game at the end of the season last year. Very few rookie RB's have a great rookie year. Jackson could have a great year and leave Grant wishing he took the contract he was offered. If Grant does hold out and Jackson has a good first few games Grant will probably sign the one year tender and report so he can get another year of credit under his belt.

I will say this...Jackson does look bigger and like he has more power this year.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 02:21 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with Jackson being the starter. He was starting to figure things out and getting a running game at the end of the season last year. Very few rookie RB's have a great rookie year. Jackson could have a great year and leave Grant wishing he took the contract he was offered. If Grant does hold out and Jackson has a good first few games Grant will probably sign the one year tender and report so he can get another year of credit under his belt.

I will say this...Jackson does look bigger and like he has more power this year.

He did great against the Giants :lol:

Bring Back Grant :!:

The Gunshooter
08-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't forget Morency is healthy this year and if everyone else picks it up a little they can do without Grant if they have to. I just don't believe you can let the players force you to give them whatever they want. A 500% raise is not good enough for Grant? I say fock 'em.

texaspackerbacker
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Pay the man already!

Those of you thinking Brandon Jackson is and acceptable replacement must be blind. Jackson is decent, maybe even capable of being a slightly above average starter. Grant is extraordinary. The burst that he showed last year sets him apart from all but a small hand full of backs in the NFL. The extremely bright immediate future of the Packers gets a whole lot dimmer if Grant isn't there.

$40 million spread over six years is NOT outlandish at all. Neither is guaranteeing $5-10 million of it. There are clearlly lesser players already making that much, and with increase over time, that amount will seem cheap.

Waiting a year or signing him now for just 2 or 3 or whatever would NOT be wise at all. Grant is about 25, but he is relatively fresh--not much mileage on his legs. He should have about six prime years left. The last thing the Packers should do is put themselves in a position where they have to re-sign him in one or two or three or four years when his market value is extremely much higher and when he will command a contract that will take him PAST his prime.

The Ahman Green situation worked out just right--we got his prime years for a fairly reasonable amount; Then we let somebody else be stupid enough to pay big for his post-prime years. THAT is what I want with Grant too. Oay the man now--for six years--and the timing is perfect.

Morency? Come on! I doubt he even makes the team.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Very true. Deer in the headlights.

i actually dislike cowGIRLS more than bears; prob b/c i became pack fan rt before favre era

bobblehead
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM

That's pushing it. Walker decided the contract he signed wasn't good enough. Grant is not under contract. He can't go anywhere else, but he's not under contract. And Grant does deserve more than the minimum tender the Packers offered.

Grant is in a unique scenario as an older inexperienced player who's had some success. I don't blame him for wanting to get a decent contract now because he'll be pushing the end of his prime years by the time he's an unrestricted free agent. But he has nowhere else to go and if he doesn't want to push FA off another year he'll need to get something done.

I predict they'll bicker for another couple of weeks then it will come to a rapid conclusion two weeks before the regular season.

I'm not convinced his not being under contract is relevant since its only because he wasn't good enough to get drafted. We drafted wynn in the 7th and he got a bare bones deal. Now if he were to man up and get 1500 in a full season this year would you say he has less of a right to hold out next year than grant does now? Would he deserve "more than the minimum tender the packers have offered" ??

grant is in this situation because of grant..no one else...except TT for getting him off the scrap heap. I'm sick of whiney athletes who want everything when they overperform, but still want props when they underperform. What if we sign him to 4 million garaunteed and he comes out and doesn't look sharp. What if he is dorsey levens all over again? Sorry, play hardball, go with Bjack, morency and wynn. Let him get Rhetted.

Fritz
08-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I will say this: When people start throwing 40 mill-type numbers around, I keep flashing back to Grant's fumbleitis in the playoffs.

gbgary
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Pay the man already!

Those of you thinking Brandon Jackson is and acceptable replacement must be blind. Jackson is decent, maybe even capable of being a slightly above average starter. Grant is extraordinary. The burst that he showed last year sets him apart from all but a small hand full of backs in the NFL. The extremely bright immediate future of the Packers gets a whole lot dimmer if Grant isn't there.

$40 million spread over six years is NOT outlandish at all. Neither is guaranteeing $5-10 million of it. There are clearlly lesser players already making that much, and with increase over time, that amount will seem cheap.

i'm right there with ya brotha! Rodgers' success depends on a great running attack to keep the defense honest. without it...he's toast.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 04:06 PM

Since when has Brett been known to beat the cowgirls? FFS Rodgers nearly succeded where Favre has failed for his entire career. Rodgers coulda pulled that one off in Dallas last year with just a little bit of defensive help in the second half. Favre was just throwing up moonballs.

I'm not suggesting that Rodgers is going to do any better. But considering Favre's record against Dallas, I don't think he could do much worse.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Pay the man already!

Waiting a year or signing him now for just 2 or 3 or whatever would NOT be wise at all. Grant is about 25, but he is relatively fresh--not much mileage on his legs. He should have about six prime years left. The last thing the Packers should do is put themselves in a position where they have to re-sign him in one or two or three or four years when his market value is extremely much higher and when he will command a contract that will take him PAST his prime.

The Ahman Green situation worked out just right--we got his prime years for a fairly reasonable amount; Then we let somebody else be stupid enough to pay big for his post-prime years. THAT is what I want with Grant too. Oay the man now--for six years--and the timing is perfect.

Morency? Come on! I doubt he even makes the team.

40 million doesn't seem outlandish, especially since Grant would have to rush for 2000 or more yards in either of the next two seasons to have any chance of earning that amount. But I'd only guarantee 3 mil or so. Truth is Grant is not proven. It is just as likely that he had a fluke season as that he'll be a superstar. And if he bombs out we need money to replace him - on top of needing money to resign many talented football players we've drafted recently that are coming up on the end of thier rookie contracts and becoming eligible for FA soon. Those contracts are not going to come cheap, and rightfully should cost more than anything Grant is offered right now.

jmbarnes101
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Come on down Brandon Jackson, you're the next player on my fantasy football team.

I do hope that Grant signs sometime soon but I think both sides are still far apart and I side with the Packers side, like I usually do.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Come on down Brandon Jackson, you're the next player on my fantasy football team.

I do hope that Grant signs sometime soon but I think both sides are still far apart and I side with the Packers side, like I usually do.

PFT reporting that Green Bay has reached an agreement with Ryan Grant. I'd expect him on the practice field on monday.

The Gunshooter
08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Good to see Grant come to his senses. If he rushes for 1500 yards this year he will make $8.5 million over 2008 and 2009 which is tremendously fair considering the Packers own this guy. If he makes the team but gets seriously injured early on then he will still be set for life if he buys some injury insurance. He owes the Packers a great year in 2008.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Don't forget Morency is healthy this year and if everyone else picks it up a little they can do without Grant if they have to. I just don't believe you can let the players force you to give them whatever they want. A 500% raise is not good enough for Grant? I say fock 'em.

Morency ? Yuk; heck bring back the Whisper then

pbmax
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
I didn't read the article the same way. Its saying he is getting $8.5 regardless over the first two years. If he hits 1500 yards, his salary for 2009 goes up another 4 million.

That's a pricey contract if he performs. It has protection for the Packers, but they are paying the going rate for a vet with a player that is playing his second full year starting Tuesday.

Good to see Grant come to his senses. If he rushes for 1500 yards this year he will make $8.5 million over 2008 and 2009 which is tremendously fair considering the Packers own this guy. If he makes the team but gets seriously injured early on then he will still be set for life if he buys some injury insurance. He owes the Packers a great year in 2008.

boiga
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Maybe so, but if he does perform that well, he'll be worth the money.

This is a compromise. If Grant performs, he'll earn every cent of his incentives. If he doesn't, well... we'll have a way out without busting the bank. It works for both sides.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Grant got a great deal. Probably better than he should have--given his situation. However, you can overpay a bit for your own players if you don't play UFA much. I think it benefits team morale. Guys know they'll be compensated fairly by the team if they perform. Probably part of the reason team chemistry has been so good the last couple of years.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I didn't read the article the same way. Its saying he is getting $8.5 regardless over the first two years. If he hits 1500 yards, his salary for 2009 goes up another 4 million.

That's a pricey contract if he performs. It has protection for the Packers, but they are paying the going rate for a vet with a player that is playing his second full year starting Tuesday.

It is indeed a pricey contract if he performs, but if he performs then we wouldn't have any problems paying it to him. Regardless of how much experience he has, if his level of production matches that of a veteran then so should his salary IMO. And if he isn't producing, then he won't get paid as much and it won't hurt the Packers as badly. I love the deal.

The Gunshooter
08-03-2008, 11:12 AM

GB is married to this guy now. I hope they know what they are doing because I think it is too much too soon.