That doesn't mean we'll get them.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Well there should be a lot of things...

That doesn't mean we'll get them.

he actually told shefter that he's gonna make it happen "b/c its time"

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
He said he would act on reinstatement only, he cannot guarantee that a deal between the Packers and Favre is in place as well.

Monday is the day the Commish has decided he will reinstate Favre.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
about F'in time

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
He said he would act on reinstatement only, he cannot guarantee that a deal between the Packers and Favre is in place as well.

Monday is the day the Commish has decided he will reinstate Favre.He didn't say that. He said he would rule on Brett's reinstatement. He could end this in one swift stroke, if he was real ballsy, and NOT reinstate Favre. Based on him saying "Ill finish it" He just might do that(personally I think he won't go that route).

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 12:32 AM

Monday is the day the Commish has decided he will reinstate Favre.He didn't say that. He said he would rule on Brett's reinstatement. He could end this in one swift stroke, if he was real ballsy, and NOT reinstate Favre. Based on him saying "Ill finish it" He just might do that(personally I think he won't go that route).

He could, you are right, but he won't. Aside from the negative PR hit that he himself would take over a decision like that, Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA would cry bloody murder and there would be an even bigger problem on his hands. I don't see him as being so ballsy.

Freak Out
08-03-2008, 01:44 AM

He could, you are right, but he won't. Aside from the negative PR hit that he himself would take over a decision like that, Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA would cry bloody murder and there would be an even bigger problem on his hands. I don't see him as being so ballsy.

Ballsy? You must have meant stupid.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 01:55 AM

No, I meant ballsy. If I meant stupid I would have said stupid.

BF4MVP
08-03-2008, 02:57 AM

:lol: OWNED!

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Didn't the commissioner's last line in the sand come and go without incident?

Since Goodell isn't the one making the decisions here, I'm not so sure how he knows when things are going to be wrapped up.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I thought all it meant was that he'd approve the reinstatement on Monday. I don't think there's too much else he can do without violating someone's interests and creating more of a mess than he has on his hands now...

Rastak
08-03-2008, 06:54 AM

Stupid wouldn't even begin to describe it.

packrulz
08-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Favre threw TT, M3, & Campen under the bus and burned a lot of bridges, I doubt he'll ever play for the Packers again, unless his attitude changes dramatically. I also doubt he'll sign the $20 mil. endorsement deal because he doesn't need the money and he still wants to play, besides, he could make as much doing commercials, ESPN, & etc. A trade seems to be the only option, and the Packers still have a bone to pick with Goodell about the viqueens tampering with Favre, they want to get Favre for nothing but the tampering charges give the Packers leverage, I hate to say it but I think he'll end up a queen, but the Pack will get a higher draft pick because of the tampering.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:38 AM

He could, you are right, but he won't. Aside from the negative PR hit that he himself would take over a decision like that, Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA would cry bloody murder and there would be an even bigger problem on his hands. I don't see him as being so ballsy.Im going to disagree about the NFLPA as the commish has the legal right to deny Favre reinstatement and there wouldn't be a thing Upshaw could do about it. If Goodell denied(not saying he will) reinstatement he would not have a bigger problem on his hands. It would be DONE. FINSHED. OVER. He might take a PR hit but considering he has already taken a good size one, the extra hit might be worth it(again, I don't believe he would).

pbmax
08-03-2008, 08:04 AM
That would be an interesting change of position, since the Commish has already stated publicly that Favre, when he applied, would be reinstated.

EDIT: That was an exaggeration by me, ESPN sourced this from his talk with the Packers. So he did not claim it publicly. But I have seen nothing to contradict it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3500610

Patler
08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Im going to disagree about the NFLPA as the commish has the legal right to deny Favre reinstatement and there wouldn't be a thing Upshaw could do about it. If Goodell denied(not saying he will) reinstatement he would not have a bigger problem on his hands. It would be DONE. FINSHED. OVER. He might take a PR hit but considering he has already taken a good size one, the extra hit might be worth it(again, I don't believe he would).

I completely disagree. I seriously doubt that the commissioner can deny reinstatement without cause. If there would have been a justification to suspend Favre if he were an active player, then I think he can deny his reinstatement. Without that, I think reinstatement is automatic. The commissioner does not have the right to determine who can be an NFL player, he only has the right to suspend players for cause.

In this instance, I think the commissioner's function is primarily ministerial, not discretionary. I would be shocked if he can deny reinstatement without a justification to do so.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Goodell, like with the Personal Conduct Poicy, might be Judge and Jury on reinstatement issues, but that doesn't mean he can act capriciously or vary from the office's precedents.

The NFLPA would appeal (probably to Goodell first), then take it to the Special Master who controls disputes over the CBA. And if that didn't work, then they go to Federal Court. Having the legal right to make a ruling doesn't mean that ruling is unchallengeable.

EDIT: Or, what Patler said. :lol:

Im going to disagree about the NFLPA as the commish has the legal right to deny Favre reinstatement and there wouldn't be a thing Upshaw could do about it. If Goodell denied(not saying he will) reinstatement he would not have a bigger problem on his hands. It would be DONE. FINSHED. OVER. He might take a PR hit but considering he has already taken a good size one, the extra hit might be worth it(again, I don't believe he would).

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
That would be an interesting change of position, since the Commish has already stated publicly that Favre, when he applied, would be reinstated.

EDIT: That was an exaggeration by me, ESPN sourced this from his talk with the Packers. So he did not claim it publicly. But I have seen nothing to contradict it.

Monday is the day the Commish has decided he will reinstate Favre.He didn't say that. He said he would rule on Brett's reinstatement. He could end this in one swift stroke, if he was real ballsy, and NOT reinstate Favre. Based on him saying "Ill finish it" He just might do that(personally I think he won't go that route).Well, Goodell has already waffled since he didn't automatically approve it like he said he would. It would be an interesting change of position but if he felt Favre wasn't being fair enough I could see him change. Again, though, I don't think he will go this route.

Fritz
08-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I lie PB's idea: reinstate Favre, convince him to play in Tampa, and get a starting caliber dt in return.

You end the circus, and you get a player at a position you need.

Or better yet, trade him to Minny for one of the Williams boys.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Monday is the day the Commish has decided he will reinstate Favre.He didn't say that. He said he would rule on Brett's reinstatement. He could end this in one swift stroke, if he was real ballsy, and NOT reinstate Favre. Based on him saying "Ill finish it" He just might do that(personally I think he won't go that route).Well, Goodell has already waffled since he didn't automatically approve it like he said he would. It would be an interesting change of position but if he felt Favre wasn't being fair enough I could see him change. Again, though, I don't think he will go this route.

Wasn't being fair enough in what way? His rights are owned by the Packers and has asked to have hsi status changed to active player. He has to report to camp, that's it. There really is nothing more to it. The Packers have most of the cards once he does.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Ed Werner of ESPN is reporting that Goodell has reinstated Favre, and Favre will be flying to Green Bay. His source is someone close to Favre.

MOBB DEEP
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
RG kept his word

he dont play....

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
So wait, Favre is going to fly to Green Bay and then what?

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
So wait, Favre is going to fly to Green Bay and then what?sit at his house. He won't be allowed on Packer property so its his only option, unless he and Murphy are going to meet again.

MOBB DEEP
08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
So wait, Favre is going to fly to Green Bay and then what?sit at his house. He won't be allowed on Packer property so its his only option, unless he and Murphy are going to meet again.

im sure if he WANTS to he can go to lambeau

C'MON...

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM

im sure if he WANTS to he can go to lambeau

C'MON...If he buys a ticket sure. But since they are sold out........

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm sure he has enough money to get a scalped set, or if nothing else some nice family with tickets will make the sacrifice for him...

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm sure he has enough money to get a scalped set, or if nothing else some nice family with tickets will make the sacrifice for him...You sold your tickets to him, didn't you? :lol:

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I had to. The drive to the stadium from DC would have been more than I wanted to accomplish this afternoon...

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I had to. The drive to the stadium from DC would have been more than I wanted to accomplish this afternoon...I hope you nailed him for at least 7 figures.