PDA

View Full Version : #4 leaning toward retirement...

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
DAYUM

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:12 PM
NFLN been worknig phones all day and report the BREAKN NEWS tht brett is now leaning that way...

SIGH

Joemailman
08-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Is this just your guess, or is it based on some actual information you didn't bother to include in your post?

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:15 PM
After he spoke with goddell at HOF induction, adam shefter broke the news that favre's camp is sayn that now (3 mins ago)

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:21 PM
he's preparing to walk away with the loot.

i had to rewind it three times

this was 45 secs after adam talked to goddell; they went to mooch for a sec, then adam stated there's BREAKN news

this bites; im sure goddell knew when adam questioned him

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:25 PM
im numb right now. emotional rollercoaster!!!! why couldnt ted jus have welcomed him back????

its a sad day

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:27 PM
no one else is watchin HOF induction?

GREAT interview of goddell by adam. pressed him kinda hard

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
im numb right now. emotional rollercoaster!!!! why couldnt ted jus have welcomed him back????

its a sad day

This offer keeps Favre a Packer for life. I don't see how this can be interpreted as TT not welcoming him back. It's TT keeping him here forever. Just in a different role.

boiga
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
REPORT: FAVRE TO TAKE THE MONEY
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2008, 6:27 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre currently plans to accept the Packers’ shameless bribe marketing deal and un-unretire from the NFL.

Schefter points out that the decision isn’t final, and that it could change and has changed already. As of right now, however, Favre’s inclination is to take the money and not run. Or throw.

Meanwhile, Chris Mortensen of ESPN recently reported that Commissioner Roger Goodell asked for a resolution of the situation by the end of the day on Saturday, and that the Packers are hoping that Favre doesn’t report in time for a Sunday night scrimmage at Lambeau Field. Mort says that family members are urging Favre to get on a plane for Green Bay on Sunday.

As we see it, it’s possible that Favre is putting out the word that he’s taking the money so that he can call a press conference on Sunday and declare that it’s not about the money, it’s never been about the money, and he wants to play football.

We’re told that, if Favre shows up, the team’s plan is to put him at the bottom of the depth chart, continue to try to trade him, and if they can’t they’ll cut him on the eve of the regular season opener. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/02/report-favre-to-take-the-money/

I'm kind of with Florio, I'll believe it when I see it.

BlueBrewer
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a hard time believing anything anymore. The media has been spinning every possible situation as Breaking News i keep waiting to see the bottum line that Breaking News Favre has just gone to the bathroom to take a shit. He is leaning towards the downstairs toilet because he feels it will be very smelly.

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Good news!! I'm seeing it on the NFLN ticker now.

Rastak
08-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a hard time believing anything anymore. The media has been spinning every possible situation as Breaking News i keep waiting to see the bottum line that Breaking News Favre has just gone to the bathroom to take a shit. He is leaning towards the downstairs toilet because he feels it will be very smelly.

I'm with ya Blue. I don't have that much stake in this but it's still funny reading completely opposite stuff listed as breaking news hourly.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM

GREAT POINT ABOUT breakn news

Brando19
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
This is great news. I'm glad to see Brett a Packer for life instead of a Queen for 2 years. I wonder if anywhere in the contract prohibits him from coming back if the Packers organization wants him to (ie Rodgers goes down.)?

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Good news!! I'm seeing it on the NFLN ticker now.

ure not sad AT ALL

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
This is great news. I'm glad to see Brett a Packer for life instead of a Queen for 2 years. I wonder if anywhere in the contract prohibits him from coming back if the Packers organization wants him to (ie Rodgers goes down.)?

The only way that could happen is if Rodgers goes down in the preseason. The deadline to activate him to the active roster is August 26th. After that, no it's not possible.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 05:55 PM
If ARod goes down this year, let's hope it's in preseason game #1.
:shock:

boiga
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
This is great news. I'm glad to see Brett a Packer for life instead of a Queen for 2 years. I wonder if anywhere in the contract prohibits him from coming back if the Packers organization wants him to (ie Rodgers goes down.)? No, there is a rule that would forbid him playing for us once the season starts. Here's the specifics from JSO:
If Favre signs the deal, there is a "stockpiling" rule that would prevent him from making a comeback this season. Former long snapper Rob Davis spoke of such a rule upon his retirement and acceptance of a full-time job as the Packers' director of player development in March.

There is only a small window through which a player who has a non-playing contract with a club can still apply for reinstatement, but it closes well before the start of the regular season. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that the rule existed and said any player on the reserve/retired list who was employed by a club off the field would not be eligible for the roster after the cut-down to 75 players. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779074

Also, for anyone who is interested, here's the Goodell interview: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809b06a7

He confirms that this will all be over by Monday.

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Not saying I'm jumping for joy IF this is true.

Let's just hope this resolves things once and for all. Then again, I believe BREAKING NEWS as far as I can throw my pickup truck.

Favre and his family have done a lot for this area and vice versa. Let's hope this stays a long term healthy relationship.

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Honestly, I don't feel one iota of sadness. The only thing I feel is relief that hopefully this is it and he will be done with this ugly mess he created.

There are players who appreciate everythign that football offers and would never consider quitting something they love so much and somethign that gives them so much. Brett just didn't have that love any more. He was tired of it. I just can't root for a guy who could care less if he is there or not. A guy who could just as easily quit than show up. A guy who doesn't feel responsible to his teammates to make a decision quickly to help the team. A guy who doesn't feel responsible to his teammates enough to show up for the offseason work that every other player participates in.

I don't think Brett is a bad person, but I think he lost his sense of team and I'm just ready to see the team handed to guys that really want it. Guys that are willing to work together year long to achieve their goals and don't feel burdened by football.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Wait, BRETT said this? Or Brett's CAMP said he's gonna retire? If it was his camp, I expect him on the next flight...

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Not saying I'm jumping for joy IF this is true.

Let's just hope this resolves things once and for all. Then again, I believe BREAKING NEWS as far as I can throw my pickup truck.

Favre and his family have done a lot for this area and vice versa. Let's hope this stays a long term healthy relationship.

yeah, even m. irvin talked about the importance of maintaining that relationship

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Honestly, I don't feel one iota of sadness. The only thing I feel is relief that hopefully this is it and he will be done with this ugly mess he created.

There are players who appreciate everythign that football offers and would never consider quitting something they love so much and somethign that gives them so much. Brett just didn't have that love any more. He was tired of it. I just can't root for a guy who could care less if he is there or not. A guy who could just as easily quit than show up. A guy who doesn't feel responsible to his teammates to make a decision quickly to help the team. A guy who doesn't feel responsible to his teammates enough to show up for the offseason work that every other player participates in.

I don't think Brett is a bad person, but I think he lost his sense of team and I'm just ready to see the team handed to guys that really want it. Guys that are willing to work together year long to achieve their goals and don't feel burdened by football.

when do u think he lost "it" that all for one one for all mentality? did whacko shrem wreck him?

Rastak
08-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I would understand if the guy takes the cash. He knows he isn't wanted and 20 mil isn't anything to sneeze at. If he doesn't take it now, it could very well be gone tomorrow.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Wait, BRETT said this? Or Brett's CAMP said he's gonna retire? If it was his camp, I expect him on the next flight...

adam shefter jus said that from all the phone calls he's made and fielded today that this is the direction favre is going

sob
sob
sob

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Sources said he was leaning, not Favre himself. Could be the QB, but could also be seventeen other people. Or course, as someone else said, sources also said earlier today that he was leaning to rejecting it and playing.

And Goodell did NOT confirm that Favre is taking the deal and staying retired, he confirmed that Monday he will act on the reinstatement request, regardless of the state of the negotiations.

Which means the Packers would have a Tuesday deadline.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Adam's made and received phone calls before. Question is from WHOM? If he talked to Brett, I'll think about buying it, but his "camp" has been anything but accurate.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Sources said he was leaning, not Favre himself. Could be the QB, but could also be seventeen other people. Or course, as someone else said, sources also said earlier today that he was leaning to rejecting it and playing.

And Goodell did NOT confirm that Favre is taking the deal and staying retired, he confirmed that Monday he will act on the reinstatement request, regardless of the state of the negotiations.

Which means the Packers would have a Tuesday deadline.

i interpreted goddell as sayn that they WHOLE THING should be resolved by then fritz. that was DEF his tone with shefter

packinpatland
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm not usually a fan of the NYT's sports section (it's always a day late) but this is right on

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/sports/football/03rhoden.html?_r=2&8dpc&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
when do u think he lost "it" that all for one one for all mentality? did whacko shrem wreck him?

It's not so much an all for one, but it's just a feeling that you don't want to let your teammates down and if you're a leader you want to set a good example. I'm not telling him to give his whole paycheck to the team or sacrafice his first born. I'm asking that he put his teammates before his leasure time. I'm asking that he show up and lead his guys when everyone is taking the little offseason steps that show up on Sundays 3 months latter.

I think his dad kept him grounded and beat it into him that he needs to commit to his team. Sometime after his dad died I think he started to drift and he no longer had that mentor to keep him grounded so he just drifted further and now we have the prima donna Brett instead of the Brett we all loved to watch.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2008, 06:45 PM

It's not so much an all for one, but it's just a feeling that you don't want to let your teammates down and if you're a leader you want to set a good example. I'm not telling him to give his whole paycheck to the team or sacrafice his first born. I'm asking that he put his teammates before his leasure time. I'm asking that he show up and lead his guys when everyone is taking the little offseason steps that show up on Sundays 3 months latter.

I think his dad kept him grounded and beat it into him that he needs to commit to his team. Sometime after his dad died I think he started to drift and he no longer had that mentor to keep him grounded so he just drifted further and now we have the prima donna Brett instead of the Brett we all loved to watch.

yeah maybe the tough luv of dad was key; like he never told brett he loved him. im not promoting that but maybe he had a chip on shoulders b/c of things like that

whereas a id tell favr rt now, "i love you man"

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm not usually a fan of the NYT's sports section (it's always a day late) but this is right on

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/sports/football/03rhoden.html?_r=2&8dpc&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I take a lot of William Rhoden's columns with a grain, no, a bucket of salt.

This dipsh** has also penned columns equating the Rooney family (Steelers' owners) to Michael Vick.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/13/rhoden-compares-rooneys-to-vick/

packinpatland
08-02-2008, 06:51 PM
THE NEW YORK TIMES............'All the news that'f fit to print'..............

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 06:51 PM
JSO reporting following on NFLN crawl:

"Adam Schefter reports Brett Favre is preparing to stay retired. The decision is not final and could change but Favre is clearly leaning towards taking a package that he and the Packers have been negotiating."

Tyrone Bigguns
08-02-2008, 07:28 PM

I take a lot of William Rhoden's columns with a grain, no, a bucket of salt.

This dipsh** has also penned columns equating the Rooney family (Steelers' owners) to Michael Vick.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/13/rhoden-compares-rooneys-to-vick/

You need to learn the difference between equate and compare.

mission
08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
sob
sob
sob

some of us were alive in march... so this whole teddybear attachment cry baby thing happened already.

im with justin.

relief.

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 07:36 PM
JSO reporting following on NFLN crawl:

"Adam Schefter reports Brett Favre is preparing to stay retired. The decision is not final and could change but Favre is clearly leaning towards taking a package that he and the Packers have been negotiating."

I just saw on the ESPN crawl that Favre is leaning towards rejecting the offer and reporting to camp, in a few months or years when the emotion has passed this is going to be truly hilarious in retrospect.

boiga
08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
JSO also makes the interesting observation that Fox pulled the Schefter video saying that Favre was going to stay retired.

I watched that video earlier... and it's not there now. So did Fox pull it because they doubted its veracity?

Expect Favre here on Tuesday, guys.

mission
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
annnnnndddd.....

back to being annoyed. more bullshit.

nix the relief. :duel:

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I really hope that if he does show up to camp he knows he's the backup and he keeps his mouth shut.

That's really all I can hope for now, though it would be most excellent if he'd just stay retired.

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Breaking news... an overused term by most news outlets today.

There is so much speculation and innuendo today that it's just a friggin' farce.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
ESPN sure isn't reprting it that way:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516300

DannoMac21
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Please let Schefter's report be true. Stay retired old man.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
While Schefter's video was pulled, his claim is still scrolling on NFLN.