PDA

View Full Version : Report: Packers, Grant reach deal!!!

Brando19
08-02-2008, 06:27 PM
From PFT:

With the Brett Favre fiasco on full boil, the Packers found a way to take care of some other business on Saturday, working out a new contract with running back Ryan Grant.

Per Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, the Packers and Grant have agreed to terms. The terms, however, are not yet known.

Grant reportedly wanted $40 million over six years. The Packers reportedly offered a six-year package that included $1.75 million in bonuses and paid out only $4.5 million over the first two years.

Grant had little leverage, given his status as an exclusive rights free agent. But he apparently has parlayed seven starts in 2007 and 956 yards rushing into some long-term security.

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 06:28 PM
One fiasco down, one to go...

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
If this is true, good. I'm interested in hearing the details. Hopefully more is forthcoming.

boiga
SWEEEEEEEET!

packinpatland
About (and I next to never swear) f*cking time!

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Grant doesn't miss much TC time at all. Coolness.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Way to go new negotiating guy. Maybe T2 will learn to love leaking details after all.

Now if we can get Brett to sign the Marketing Deal, call for reinstatement, get traded to the Bucs for a DT, we might make the playoffs.

GBRulz
08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
About (and I next to never swear) f*cking time!

My thoughts exactly.

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm starting to buy the Brandon Jackson Koolaid. I've been a big Wynn supporter but his latest concussion is making me think others may have been right that he is soft.

That said, it's great to have Grant back. I really look forward to he and Jackson teaming up to be the one two punch at running back that this team is going to need while it transitions from a 16 year QB to a 1st year QB.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
PIP and GBR, what did you guys used to do when ALL first round picks missed time because there was no cap or rookie pool?

And did Ken Ruettgers yearly training camp vacation cause heart palpitations as well?

:D

Brando19
I'm starting to buy the Brandon Jackson Koolaid. I've been a big Wynn supporter but his latest concussion is making me think others may have been right that he is soft.

That said, it's great to have Grant back. I really look forward to he and Jackson teaming up to be the one two punch at running back that this team is going to need while it transitions from a 16 year QB to a 1st year QB.

I just wonder where Herron and Morency stand.

imscott72
nothing at JS yet. Don't be so quick to fall for PFT crap. That's the last site I'd trust for any info..

Brando19
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
nothing at JS yet. Don't be so quick to fall for PFT crap. That's the last site I'd trust for any info..

It's also on foxsports.com

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Justin, you ARE the kool-aid guy. And that is OK, someone beside TXPackerBacker needs to always support the team so there is balance.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Read carefully, this isn't out of Florio's active imagination. Its from Jay Glazer on foxports.com.

MOBB DEEP
unfortunately, 9-11 man fronts

imscott72

Ok I guess JS got scooped bigtime on this one then..

GBRulz
08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
PIP and GBR, what did you guys used to do when ALL first round picks missed time because there was no cap or rookie pool?

And did Ken Ruettgers yearly training camp vacation cause heart palpitations as well?

The starting RB is a a little more important than a rookie. Besides, I really don't remember the last time a 1st round pick of ours wasn't into camp on time.

I just don't want to see a rehash of Bubba. The guy missed alot of practices...finally got his new contract and just wasn't the same IMO.

Lurker64
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM

You can never have enough good running backs...

packinpatland
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM

The starting RB is a a little more important than a rookie. Besides, I really don't remember the last time a 1st round pick of ours wasn't into camp on time.

I just don't want to see a rehash of Bubba. The guy missed alot of practices...finally got his new contract and just wasn't the same IMO.

Ditto

imscott72
08-02-2008, 06:50 PM

You can never have enough good running backs...

Amen..

BlueBrewer
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
are ther any terms available other than 6 years and 4.5 over 1st 2years

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 07:13 PM

If D's want to go 9-11 in the box, they'll get beat in the short passing game.

Even a mediocre QB can beat 9 in the box if they have sufficient blocking.

Joemailman
08-02-2008, 07:19 PM

If D's want to go 9-11 in the box, they'll get beat in the short passing game.

Even a mediocre QB can beat 9 in the box if they have sufficient blocking.

As Harry would say, "Go ahead, make my day."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/Sudden-impact-10.jpg/300px-Sudden-impact-10.jpg

boiga
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
This is great news, but I have to wonder who caved first? Did Herman shove his ridiculous demand and compromise? Or were the Packers so eager to avoid further bad press that they made Grant one of the highest paid members of our offense?

The story behind this deal could be fascinating.

mission
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
im glad to finally see some good news logging on, but ...

9-11 in the box? lol what is this... 7th grade flag football? the packers are an nfl team, folks. fyi.

Gunakor
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
This is great news, but I have to wonder who caved first? Did Herman shove his ridiculous demand and compromise? Or were the Packers so eager to avoid further bad press that they made Grant one of the highest paid members of our offense?

The story behind this deal could be fascinating.

Grant is only one of the highest paid players on our offense if he performs like one. That's the beauty of an incentive based deal.

boiga
08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Interesting, here's what McCarthy said about the Grant holdout this morning:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy repeatedly has declined to discuss the "business matter" keeping unsigned running back Ryan Grant out of training camp. But eight practices into camp and only nine days from the preseason opener, McCarthy made his strongest comments to date on the situation today.

"He's not helping himself. I think everybody agrees with that," McCarthy said. "The thing that concerns me about Ryan, he went about everything that he needed to do throughout the spring, he was very conscientious. I know Edgar Bennett is in daily contact with him, but it's time for him to get to camp.

"He is still a young player. He doesn't have a high level of experience, and it's time for him to get here and be a part of what is going on. It's obviously a contract negotiation, it's a business matter that I really don't get too involved with or get too caught up in, but I would really like to see Ryan get here." http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

I wonder if he told Bennet that it was time for Grant to get his ass to camp? Grant isn't the type to hold out for top billing, so he probably told Herman to forget it already, make a deal, and get this done.

imscott72
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
It's up at JS..

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/02/grant-s-deal-is-done-he-ll-report-sunday.aspx

boiga
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's the details for the Grant deal:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/02/grant-s-deal-is-done-he-ll-report-sunday.aspx

It seems that they switched it to a 4 year deal over which time Grant will earn between 18 and 30 million dollars depending on his production over the next two years.

Seems like a fairly reasonable compromise, actually.

Edit: Grant will report tomorrow! Heck he might even make it for the scrimmage. :D

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 07:46 PM
It's tough. On a personal level I feel a little bad for Grant. If he had a great college career and was drafted high he would be looking at his second huge contract and much more of it would be guaranteed. I think he's a very good player and a very hard worker.

That said, a big part of being a good GM is starting with the same amount of money as everyone else but finding ways to get more talent out of that same money. The best way to do that is to get guys in the draft, through trades and through low level free agency that are better than the status they were aquired under. From there you have the upper hand in future negotiations and you can build a team better than the competition by fitting more talent under the same salary cap.

This is all part of the buisness. Grant is going to make a lot of money. It could be more but this is fair. It helps the team and Grant is guaranteed to leave the NFL with no less than a couple of million dollars in the bank and probably more where it could have been almost nothing if the Packers were really unflexible and he got injured.

imscott72
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
8 mill for the 1st two years. I think Grant did very well in this deal. TT really bent to get this done. Maybe he's tired of the distractions and wanted to get this done at the same time the Favre thing ends..

Brando19
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
It said Grant will report Sunday, but does that mean he'll be playing in the scrimmage game?

Packers4Ever
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM

I found it in the GBPG, you can pretty
much trust them w/breaking news

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I take it back. It's only a 4 year deal and it's more than fair. The Packers definitly compromised. It was not give-away, but Grant didn't bend over backwards either. He's going to make some good dough and the Packers have a good player, happy, wealthy and in his prime for far less than top dollar when compared to NFL standards.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
It said Grant will report Sunday, but does that mean he'll be playing in the scrimmage game?That would be a definite no. The Packers aren't going to risk injury by playing a guy who hasn't practiced yet.

cpk1994
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Way to go new negotiating guy. Maybe T2 will learn to love leaking details after all.

Now if we can get Brett to sign the Marketing Deal, call for reinstatement, get traded to the Bucs for a DT, we might make the playoffs.You do realize if he accepts the marketing deal he more than likely stays retired, don't you?

MJZiggy
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
It said Grant will report Sunday, but does that mean he'll be playing in the scrimmage game?That would be a definite no. The Packers aren't going to risk injury by playing a guy who hasn't practiced yet.

Plus he has to have his physical and conditioning tests--how ironic would it be if he were the only one not to pass them...

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
He missed a week of camp. Not a big deal. Happens all of the time. It's when they miss 2-3 preseason games that you worry--especially for a RB. If a RB misses a lot of camp, you start worrying about injury.

texaspackerbacker
08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!

The whole Favre mess pales to insignificance compared to this. The Packers whole season as a top quality team was in jeopardy if they didn't get Grant signed. I like Jackson as much as anybody, but he just ain't Grant. No more than a couple of NFL runners are that good.

I wish the deal had been six years, because in four, he likely will still be at the top of his game, giving the Packers a tough decisioo. That, however, is a long way off. For now, the Packers just took a giant step toward a super season.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Great Job getting this one done Packer Brass :!:

Zool
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the details as far as escalators and where the bonuses are stashed.

pbmax
08-02-2008, 11:02 PM
It was a joke. Except the part about the DT. That we need. However, Favre CAN change his mind until Aug. 26th, even if he signs the deal. Just remember that date.

Now if we can get Brett to sign the Marketing Deal, call for reinstatement, get traded to the Bucs for a DT, we might make the playoffs.You do realize if he accepts the marketing deal he more than likely stays retired, don't you?

pbmax
08-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Its not the whole thing, but a good outline:

If Grant rushes for 1,500 yards this year, his salary will be bumped up $4 million in 2009, Herman said. If he rushes for only 1,000 yards, he would only earn an additional $1 million.

Herman said the base salaries in the contract were set, but the incentives and escalators will determine Grant’s income each year. He said based on the way Grant plays the next four years, he could earn $30 million or $24 million or $18 million. Once the deal ends, Grant, 25, will be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

I'm looking forward to seeing the details as far as escalators and where the bonuses are stashed.

Zool
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Wow so $18 guaranteed over 4? Or is a bulk of that dependent on roster bonuses?

bobblehead
08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks they way overpaid. He hits 1500 twice and will get near 30 million for 4 years....we get ONE year of his FA for this. Seems like the pack caved big time. If he pretty much is average he will get 18 million for 4 years? honestly, 4.5 million a year if he turns out average? It doesn't smell good to me.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks they way overpaid. He hits 1500 twice and will get near 30 million for 4 years....we get ONE year of his FA for this. Seems like the pack caved big time. If he pretty much is average he will get 18 million for 4 years? honestly, 4.5 million a year if he turns out average? It doesn't smell good to me.

I sort of agree, but as I said in the other thread. You can overpay a bit if you don't play the UFA market and it's good that players know the team will fairly compensate them. Remember that a 30-year-old, busted down Ahman Green got $6.5M/year last year, so the $4.5M/year isn't exorbinant. It's probably more than he should have gotten though.

boiga
08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
One other thing to remember is that most of this money is in the form of Roster Bonus instead of Signing Bonus. So, if Grant gets injured or cut, we owe nothing on the years to come.

So there is relatively little risk to the Packers. If Grant's a stud, he'll get paid. If he's a fluke, he'll get 4.5 million dollars and get cut and we won't owe him another dime.

It sounds like a great deal to me.

Tarlam!
08-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I would have liked to see him earn bonus money for "wins" by the team also. In fact, I wish all player contracts had "w" s as a bench mark. If he rushes for 1500 and the team goes 1-15, what good is it?

That's how it is done in soccer contracts in Europe.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I would have liked to see him earn bonus money for "wins" by the team also. In fact, I wish all player contracts had "w" s as a bench mark. If he rushes for 1500 and the team goes 1-15, what good is it?

That doesn't really sound fair to me though. Grant is still holding up his end of the bargain. What if Grant rushes for 1500 yards and the offense averages 21 points a game, but the defense stinks and allows 28 points a game. The team is going to lose a bunch of games, but Ryan Grant doesn't have any control over how many points the defense gives up. At least he's doing his job, even if others aren't doing thiers. It's really not fair to punish individual players for team failure IMO.

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 06:25 AM

I generally agree...but that is what happens when you lowball a player right out of the gate and get called on the carpet publically for it. Thompson had to make it right...because players around the league, and in the Packers own locker room, were taking notice.

Offering just $1.75M guaranteed money to a guy who proved he has Pro Bowl caliber talent was dumb...especially when you just handed out $3M to Poppinga.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 06:56 AM

We may only get one year of his FA by contract, but if he performs to make the escalators in this contract kick in, his deal will likely be redone before that last season anyway (if he doesn't repeat this stink).

LL2
08-03-2008, 07:15 AM
From what I've read it seems like a good deal. If Grant runs for over 1,000 yards a year then the base 18 million is what you can expect to pay a good RB these days, and if he avg over 1,500 yards a year then $30 million is a great deal for the Packers. There are not too many backs that avg over 1,500 yard season.

falco
08-03-2008, 07:59 AM
One other thing to remember is that most of this money is in the form of Roster Bonus instead of Signing Bonus. So, if Grant gets injured or cut, we owe nothing on the years to come.

So there is relatively little risk to the Packers. If Grant's a stud, he'll get paid. If he's a fluke, he'll get 4.5 million dollars and get cut and we won't owe him another dime.

It sounds like a great deal to me.

BOIGA - you are absolutely right... I think thats what people are missing about this deal - he didn't get $20 mil or $15 mil or $10 mil guaranteed - all he got is the $3 million roster bonus this year, plus this year's salary which you could probably consider guaranteed - thats the minimum the packers are on the hook for

RashanGary
08-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I sort of agree, but as I said in the other thread. You can overpay a bit if you don't play the UFA market and it's good that players know the team will fairly compensate them. Remember that a 30-year-old, busted down Ahman Green got $6.5M/year last year, so the $4.5M/year isn't exorbinant. It's probably more than he should have gotten though.

:shock: A little perspective here.

Shit! UFA sucks. No wonder we're doing well. We're staying away from that mine field.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I have to agree with you both on Bubba, though I always thought it was age more than the holdout.

But the one that kills me was Levens. He eventually came back and then it seemed like Holmgren was punishing him by keeping him in an early game to the end and he mangled his ankle when he seemed dead tired. That was a killer.

Ditto

Bretsky
08-03-2008, 08:59 AM

GB has pretty solid talent; you can't blame Grant if he's ok but AROD sucks :lol:

Fritz
08-03-2008, 09:00 AM

I generally agree...but that is what happens when you lowball a player right out of the gate and get called on the carpet publically for it. Thompson had to make it right...because players around the league, and in the Packers own locker room, were taking notice.

Offering just $1.75M guaranteed money to a guy who proved he has Pro Bowl caliber talent was dumb...especially when you just handed out $3M to Poppinga.

Leaper, I don't know exactly, but I hope you're not one of the people who are Teddy-haters. One of the primary complaints I keep hearing about TT is that he's "cheap." He has all this money over the cap, he won't spend it, he'd rather lose the money than spend it on making the players happy, and on and on ad infinitum.

So they get a deal done...and now people are saying the Packers overpaid? Come on.

And what about when Al Harris was carping about his salary, and according to published reports, TT sidled up to him at a practice and basically said "we'll take care of you"? And he did. Al stopped complaining, and by season's end a deal - an extension - was done. What about Barnett? What about Donald Driver's extension?

What Grant missed of training camp was a drop in a bucket. My biggest concern is that he doesn't come out and try to show he's worth it at the first practice and pop a hamstring or something (God forbid).

And finally, for the poster who was complaining that if Grant hits 1500 yards he'd be getting way too much money - if he hits 1500 yards, I'll put down some money that you will be damn glad he's getting paid good money to be a happy and productive Green Bay Packer.

TT keeps the budget tight; people bitch. TT gets a player signed; people bitch. Sigh.

Bretsky
08-03-2008, 09:04 AM
again, I think this is a great deal; for where the Packers are cap wise I really don't care much if they've overpaid him a bit.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Looking through my posts this past week:

I've heard Grant's agent say that both sides are interested in an incentive-based contract, which I think is awful from Grant's interest. There's too much that could affect Grant's numbers that is not under his control... We're well under the cap; we can afford some wiggle room with our top players. I would like to see Grant get an escalator-based contract that rewards his effort in 2008 with pay raises in 2009 and 2010, with some guaranteed and base cash for 2008.

You know, we're pretty good with cash, and if we blow $2-4M on a signing bonus for a player who didn't play up to his first 8 games, then I don't think it's that huge of a loss. I don't think anything more than $4M at signing is necessary, but I would like to see some guaranteed cash at other intervals too.

Unless there's real assurances that a contract would be redone, Grant should not sign anything greater than a 4-year contract. Most players only get one really great signing bonus in their career, and $1.75 million is not a great bonus for a starting halfback.

I think Grant should be given a pair of roster bonuses (non-guaranteed, as I'd want that cap hit NOW, rather than over the length of his contract) and a signing bonus. He may hate his contract later (RB's are very likely to get precedent-breaking superstar contracts), but if he's paid fair now, that's going to go a long way.

Not that it matters to anyone what I think, but I like this deal for Grant and the Packers. He gets decent (but not superstar) starter money at solid early intervals; the Packers have the flexibility to terminate his contract without eating a big chunk of dead money; we have a starting running back to cheer for.

RashanGary
08-03-2008, 09:07 AM
again, I think this is a great deal; for where the Packers are cap wise I really don't care much if they've overpaid him a bit.

They didn't overpay him at all. They didn't have to give him anything so in that sense they gave him more than they had to but in the grand scheme of what other players around the league get, 4.5 mil per year is still grossly underpaid for the way Grant played last year. Harvey made a great point. Ahman Green got 6.5 per year. Grant got 4.5. We got a steal and they got a rip off.

Fritz
08-03-2008, 09:12 AM
You know, if we can all put aside the Brett Favre Flying Media Circus for a minute, what do you all think of this team?

I think the o-line's going to be better and the offense is going to be able to run the ball better this year. That'll take some pressure off Rodgers.

i am however concerned about the defensive line. I'm hoping TT can pull off a trade for a good defensive tackle. When he traded Williams I was fine with it, but in hindsight, with the injuries, it's not looking so good at the moment.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Honestly, that O-line development and our evolution out of the ZBS could have played some role in Grant's advantage over Brandon Jackson. I'm not going to gloss over that aspect.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 09:28 AM
You know, if we can all put aside the Brett Favre Flying Media Circus for a minute, what do you all think of this team?

I don't know what to expect. I certainly don't expect them to be better than last year...and I sure hope that I'm wrong but I'm not getting my expectations up this year like it's "SB here we come" type of thing.

The DL concerns me.... hello, pass rush anyone??
Aging CB's ...especially Harris
Rodgers...I'm not too worried unless he gets hurt
OL - I'm still not convinced the ZBS is the best fit for us.
Bob Sanders - I've never been totally on board with his scheme,
M3 - Get this team better prepared for cold weather games.

texaspackerbacker
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Just look around the league at who is making how much. Then compare what Grant did last year; Then compare again after the season what Grant does this year. No way in hell Grant is overpaid. I just hope we don't end up with a Mike McKenzie situation in a couple of years, where he wakes up one day and realizes how much less he is getting paid than lesser players.

My only problem with the deal is that it is four years instead of six or seven. In four years, Grant is likely still going to have two or three prime years left. At that time, the Packers will be faced with the lose/lose dilemma of either letting him go elsewhere for those two or three prime years or re-signing him for a long term contract--four to six years--which he WILL be able to command, that will take Grant well past his prime.

That, however, is four years down the road. Let's just enjoy the ride, as this signing IMO, seals the deal, making the Packers a super team this season and beyond.

GBRulz, what were your expectations last year--coming off an 8-8 season with seemingly no decent RB, with no indication that Favre would be better than '06, with an untested O Line, and a defense that seemed nowhere near as good as it turned out? Do you think the success in all those areas was a fluke? The ONLY potential downgrade this year is Rodgers instead of Favre, and I don't see that as a downgrade.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Beyond the roster bonus (and there are two, so the dates to be paid are likely different) there is no signing bonus mentioned, its all roster bonuses and base salary. There is nothing guaranteed about this deal, except, from a practical matter, the $3 million roster bonus he gets when he signs.

So if he gets the money, he will be playing and earning it in a big way. Also, if the Packers should need to release him, there is no cap consequence as far as we know.

It seems the Packers removed guaranteed money in exchange for higher incentives and shorter term.

If he should hit all the incentives, then its a lucrative deal at $7.5 per season. RBs have had trouble getting big money deals on their second contracts because of their short shelf life. And Grant is 25(?) already.

But in terms of playing time and carries, he is really in just his second year. So this contract is almost his first. Given cap inflation, I expect in a year this deal will look even more favorable just like Kampman's did.

Wow so $18 guaranteed over 4? Or is a bulk of that dependent on roster bonuses?

Bretsky
08-03-2008, 10:34 AM

They didn't overpay him at all. They didn't have to give him anything so in that sense they gave him more than they had to but in the grand scheme of what other players around the league get, 4.5 mil per year is still grossly underpaid for the way Grant played last year. Harvey made a great point. Ahman Green got 6.5 per year. Grant got 4.5. We got a steal and they got a rip off.

I didn't mean to say they overpaid him; my point was we have so much cap space if they did overpay him some it really doesn't matter much.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
GBRulz, what were your expectations last year--coming off an 8-8 season with seemingly no decent RB, with no indication that Favre would be better than '06, with an untested O Line, and a defense that seemed nowhere near as good as it turned out? Do you think the success in all those areas was a fluke? The ONLY potential downgrade this year is Rodgers instead of Favre, and I don't see that as a downgrade.

They shocked the hell out of me last year, Tex. I think I predicted 8 or 9 wins? I was completely wrong and I'll say it again.... I hope I'm wrong about this year as well.

I see the DL as a downgrade. Not because we won't have Harrell, I mean we got to the NFC Champ game last year without him, but we also had more depth...something we lack this year.

I am very concerned about playing teams who have big, physical receivers because Harris can't seem to cover them. I also blame our DC for not addressing this issue during games and giving him some more help.

I'm not too worried about Rodgers, I think he will do just fine. I just worry about him getting hurt and then having to throw a rookie into the fire.

Bretsky
08-03-2008, 10:43 AM

I think the o-line's going to be better and the offense is going to be able to run the ball better this year. That'll take some pressure off Rodgers.

i am however concerned about the defensive line. I'm hoping TT can pull off a trade for a good defensive tackle. When he traded Williams I was fine with it, but in hindsight, with the injuries, it's not looking so good at the moment.

They will contend for the divison and the playoffs. It'd be a great disappointment if they don't make one.

Fritz
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
GB, I share your concerns. I know when Harris signed his extension the idea was that the last couple of years he'd be a nickel back. Uhh, Al, I think that time may be coming.

Anybody know what teams (no smart alecks get to mention Cleveland) have depth at DT? TT needs to think about swinging a deal. I hear we have an extra QB.

vince
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
This is a fair deal, IMO, although I thought they would/could have gotten a little bit better value, given the lack of leverage Grant had in this situation. Without the Favre debacle, they may have held their ground a little bit more on this.

In any event, the Packers just got better and deeper then they were two days ago.

Given this deal and others that are coming up, watch all that cap room some are so eager to blow get eaten up by that cheap-ass Ted Thompson in the next two years.

Rodgers
Jennings
Tauscher
Clifton
Spitz
Colledge
Kampman
Pickett
Jolly
Bigby
Collins

That's 50% of their starters, and half of them are likely to be among the most expensive on the team...

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
This is a fair deal, IMO, although I thought they would/could have gotten a little bit better value, given the lack of leverage Grant had in this situation. Without the Favre debacle, they may have held their ground a little bit more on this.

I think you may be onto something here.

vince
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM

I think you may be onto something here.
Grant's agent capitalized on the situation a bit too by taking the negotiations public and putting the team on the defensive. Shitty tactic, but effective in this instance.

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

They didn't overpay him at all. They didn't have to give him anything so in that sense they gave him more than they had to but in the grand scheme of what other players around the league get, 4.5 mil per year is still grossly underpaid for the way Grant played last year. Harvey made a great point. Ahman Green got 6.5 per year. Grant got 4.5. We got a steal and they got a rip off.:roll:

The main difference being Green was an unrestricted FA, Grant had 3 more years of exclusive status before unrestricted FA. Also, Green's bonuses were factored in, so at the $6.5 million figure for Green, you'd be looking at 4yr/31million at $7.75 a year with bonuses for Grant.

All things considered....definitely not a steal at all.