PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Stories Buried By Favre Saga

Joemailman
08-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Normally, this forum would be filled with stories about training camp battles and predictions for upcoming season. Hopefully we'll get back to normal soon.

I'm really interested in the safety battle. Rouse recovered a couple fumbles today. I know that's not as impressive as INT's, but good safeties have a knack for coming up with the ball.

Sitton is turning heads, but I'm hopeful that Colledge or Barbre will show enough to keep him on the bench. Rather not have another rookie starting on the OL.

http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/2008/08/02/top-five-packers-stories-buried-by-the-favre-saga/

The Frozen Tundra

Top five Packers stories buried by the Favre saga

By Andy Erdman | August 2nd, 2008

With the onslaught of Brett Favre coverage on the Internet, television and radio, it’s easy to forget that coach Mike McCarthy is working hard to get his Green Bay Packers ready for the 2008 season. And there’s plenty of very important stories that we fans should be concerned about that don’t have anything to do with a wishy-washy aging quarterback and a tight-fisted, stubborn general manager. Here are my top five:

1. Ryan Grant’s holdout: If Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback this season, he will have a much tougher go at it without Grant in the backfield. Despite many reports that second-year back Brandon Jackson looks to have improved immensely, the Packers are worse off each day without Grant attending practice. The fans were assured ever since OTAs that Grant and the Packers were close to an agreement. We were told that a deal by training camp was a foregone conclusion. Well, it’s nearly a week since training camp started, and it now appears as if a deal is nowhere close. Grant called the Packers latest offer “insulting.” I feel insulted also. The Packers biggest non-Favre issue right now is definitely the contract negotiations with Grant.

2. Justin Harrell’s possible season-ending injury: As reported by Greg Bedard of JSOnline.com, last year’s number one draft pick for the Packers is again troubled by injury – as he was through much of collegiate career as well. Harrell “ruptured a lumbar disc while lifting weights and had back surgery in April.” However, he has had setbacks since and is not participating in practice. Worse case scenario is a season-ending surgery to fix his back. I really hope it doesn’t come to that, though. After trading Corey Williams this offseason, and with the possibility that Johnny Jolly could be suspended part of the season for possession of a large amount of prescription painkillers, the Packers defensive line looks suspect. Currently the only thing Harrell can do is “bike and work in the pool a little.”

3. Rookie development: Rodgers has been talking very highly of rookie wideout Jordy Nelson, who is battling for the fourth wide receiver position with Ruvell Martin. But one has to search to find out anything about the Packers’ first pick. What’s more, rookie guard/tackle Josh Sitton has really been turning heads and, according to McCarthy, has made probably the smoothest transition into pro ball of any of the rookies. Either Tony Moll or Junius Coston may find themselves out of a job due to the emergence of Sitton. Packers coaches have also been impressed with rookie tight end Jermichael Finley’s strength in getting free of defenders in one-on-one drills. The two rookie QBs – Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn – have both had rocky camps but are slowly feeling their way through McCarthy’s system. Brohm has especially looked good lately. Of course, with the Favre soap opera constantly developing, not much news about these rookies has been reported.

4. Defensive backfield competition: Right now there are two serious battles in the Packers defensive backfield. The first is for the two starting safety positions between ’07 starters Nick Collins and Atari Bigby and up-and-coming hard-hitter Aaron Rouse. One of these guys will be the odd man out, but my feeling is that it won’t be Rouse again this year. We must also keep an eye on Charlie Peprah, who has battled back from injury for a very strong camp thus far. The next position battle is for the nickel and dime spots. Rookie Pat Lee and the much improved Tramon Williams are early favorites for the nickel and dime slots. But which player will get which slots? Or will the unproven Jarrett Bush show that he deserves one of the spots? Also in consideration is Will Blackmon, but he is still having nagging issues from breaking his foot last season.

5. Packers Family Night Scrimmage: For the first time since last season, tomorrow evening Packers fans will get to tailgate and fill Lambeau Field to cheer on the Green and Gold. The game is normally close to a sell out, with $8 tickets allowing many fans who never have the opportunity to land the regular season seats a chance to enjoy the legendary stadium. The game will be televised in Wisconsin, and it’ll be the first time we get to see the progress of Rodgers while keeping an eye on which rookies look like legitimate NFLers. Plus, whenever it’s time for the Packers intrasquad scrimmage, that means that the preseason is only a week away!

What other Packers stories are being snuffed out because of all this Favre drama?

GBRulz
08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Harrell might be out for the year, now? :shock:

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Yup, doesn't sound promising.

Pacopete4
08-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Pepper Burres says that he will be fine

digitaldean
08-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Last I read, he was added to the P-U-P list.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/PKR01/80729174/1989/GPG02

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Last I read, he was added to the P-U-P list.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/PKR01/80729174/1989/GPG02

Until the season starts, the PUP list is meaningless, right? Once the season starts, if he's on the PUP list, he can't play until week 7, I believe.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Harrell might be out for the year, now? :shock:

when you hear a guy has a bad back problem, might need surgery, it doesn't look good.

Its a damn shame they didn't keep Corey Williams. Greg Bedard, in his chat, which can only be viewed by paid subscribers at jso, argues that it was a smart decision financially, that the GM has to stick to his position forumula.

I don't buy it. Sometimes you have to go with your gut, too. D-linemen are gold (and Harrell has been tin.)

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Almost everybody loved the Williams trade (they saved themselves a bunch of money and got a 2nd round pick). Of course, this will be the move that turns out bad.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
ya, but i'm not everybody. i'm special.

Bretsky
08-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Almost everybody loved the Williams trade (they saved themselves a bunch of money and got a 2nd round pick). Of course, this will be the move that turns out bad.

Part of me was hoping Brohm would get taken; just wasn't exciting to get a backup QB for Corey Williams. I understood he was the best player on the board....but part of me was still hoping we'd take a stellar DL there and take a guy like da bootymaster later in the draft.

Harrell, never liked that pick........I even recall somebody bumping the original draft pick to mock guys like me who overreacted negatively to that pick....no clue who it was......don't really care.....but ...still not fond of that pick

I do hope JH turns out great in the long term; always happy to be wrong if it's Pro GB

pbmax
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
There is an article at JSO that has Harrell still talking about playing this season to McGinn and Bedard. He doesn't sound as pessimistic as some of the reports sounded last week. Let's hope so.

His pain is reported as stemming from something other than the original disc problem, but they aren't specific.

Part of me was hoping Brohm would get taken; just wasn't exciting to get a backup QB for Corey Williams. I understood he was the best player on the board....but part of me was still hoping we'd take a stellar DL there and take a guy like da bootymaster later in the draft.

Harrell, never liked that pick........I even recall somebody bumping the original draft pick to mock guys like me who overreacted negatively to that pick....no clue who it was......don't really care.....but ...still not fond of that pick

I do hope JH turns out great in the long term; always happy to be wrong if it's Pro GB

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah, but you've been wrong on so many picks (Odell, Meachem, Chad Jackson) that it's hard to pat yourself on the back for finally getting one right.
:D

Meachem and Jackson could still be good players, I guess. So could Harrell.

Zool
08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd say B has quite a few to go to make up for Thurmon.

Guiness
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd say B has quite a few to go to make up for Thurmon.

I don't know about that...B called it right that the guy was a player. He just (ever so slightly) underestimated how much his character issues were going to come into play. :roll:

Guiness
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Tops for me on this list of 5 that I'd like to know more about is #4 - DB battle. A week into camp, and there's been nothing said about the position battle that I thought would be the most heated, Bigby/Rouse/Collins, and now they're saying Peprah has a chance? This is an interesting one for sure.

If Rouse is coming on that strong, I think it may be Bigby who's on the outside, unless the Packers want two safeties that are known primarily for their hitting. Bigby's lost in coverage; I'm not sure if Rouse is similar, or if he has good coverage skills despite being known as a hitter.

As far as #1...I guess Grant's contract situation would be getting more coverage if it wasn't for Favre, but you can hardly say it's been ignored.

KYPack
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Moll and/or Coston may well be gone. "Juice" has had a real rough go at center. It also doesn't bode well for a 4th year guy to essentially move positions again.

Moll started his career fairly well, but hasn't shown the improvement you wanna see in a 3rd year guy. Both of 'em have to pick it up. It's early, but might be too late for those two.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Sitton's strong showing probably dooms Coston. Moll may have a chance to hang on because of his ability to back up at RT.

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Sitton's strong showing probably dooms Coston. Moll may have a chance to hang on because of his ability to back up at RT.

What happened to the second coming of the Juice anyway?