PDA

View Full Version : Who's contracts are next

RashanGary
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Jennings and Kampman are locked up through next year. With our cap space, now might be a good time to lock a couple of our best players up for an extra 4 or 5 years at a good, but not over the top, rate. Both deserve more than Grant IMO.

Spitz, Colledge, Collins, Bigby, Tauscher, Jolly and Pickett are others who's contracts are coming up sooner than later. Some are not proven yet, but with big years, we could have a handfull of players that also need deals.

If the front office can identify the guys they want early we can save a lot of money and have a fair, happy lockerroom at the same time. I think the key is being confident and doing deals before you have to because if you wait till you have to pay them it becomes not worth it to pay them.

arcilite
08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Jennings and Kampman are locked up through next year. With our cap space, now might be a good time to lock a couple of our best players up for an extra 4 or 5 years at a good, but not over the top, rate. Both deserve more than Grant IMO.

Spitz, Colledge, Collins, Bigby, Tauscher, Jolly and Pickett are others who's contracts are coming up sooner than later. Some are not proven yet, but with big years, we could have a handfull of players that also need deals.

If the front office can identify the guys they want early we can save a lot of money and have a fair, happy lockerroom at the same time. I think the key is being confident and doing deals before you have to because if you wait till you have to pay them it becomes not worth it to pay them.

You usually do that sort of thing towards the end of the season

CaliforniaCheez
08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Taucher is next.

gbpackfan
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Jennings will get extended. He's a stud.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Jennings and Kampman would be the top two.

Tarlam!
08-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Agreed.

JH, are you suggesting the Packers extend all guys you list? If so, I can't agree with Colledge's name being there. And so far, NC has been "adequate" at best. Unless these guys really step up, I won't be too sad to see them wonder off into the sunset.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 01:50 AM

Agreed.

JH, are you suggesting the Packers extend all guys you list? If so, I can't agree with Colledge's name being there. And so far, NC has been "adequate" at best. Unless these guys really step up, I won't be too sad to see them wonder off into the sunset.

I think Collins might be an adequate backup at either safety position. If they can resign him at a backup's salary then I'm all for it. I don't think he'll be the starter anymore though.

mmmdk
08-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Jennings will get extended. He's a stud.

Jennings is a stud; he'll make your QB into a probowler!

BF4MVP
08-03-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm hopin Favre's media/marketing personal services contract is the next contract signed 8-)

Jennings will probably get extended soon..Within a year I would think, if he continues to produce..He's a stud..

LL2
08-03-2008, 07:20 AM

I agree. It would be great if they got new deals this year. Burn some more of this years salary cap. At Tauscher's age he probably will not get a great contract, but the Packers should give him a good deal. He's been a loyal Packer his entire career.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 07:34 AM
There are a bunch of guys coming due in 2009, including Arod. http://packerchatters.com/team_info/salary_cap/

If Arod performs well this year, I would expect him to get extended. It will be interesting to see how TT will approach Tauscher (2008) and Clifton (2009). I suspect Tauscher will get extended, but Clufton may be on his last Packer contract with Colledge the heir apparent.

CaliforniaCheez
08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow

1) Tauscher's contract expires at the end of the year. As a good and loyal guy I thought he earned an extention but he seems to have few supporters here.

2) Jon Ryan has no competition so he is likely to be extended cheaply. Otherwise this is his last year.

3) Tramon Williams is a candidate that may command more than minimal dollars.

4) Bigby getting signed is a question mark. Rouse could make Bigby expendable. He is more likely to get a deal in March.

5) Kuhn deserves a modest deal and is a candidate or he will be gone at the end of the year.

6) Cole's deal expires at the end of the year but I suspect he will test the market and only return to Green Bay if the market is weak. He does not seem happy with the Packers.

There is my list in the order of likelyhood that these players will be signed this year. Their contracts expire at the end of the year.

Fritz
08-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I think you've got to wait on some of these guys to see how they do this year. In Jennings's case, you've got to wait and see if he stays healthy. With Collins, you've got to see if the dude can play or not. Same with some of the others.

Kampman and Tausch, you could do extensions right now. You pretty much know what you've got.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
1) Tauscher's contract expires at the end of the year. As a good and loyal guy I thought he earned an extention but he seems to have few supporters here.

I didn't realize Tausch's deal was over at the end of the year.

Kind of interesting to go back and read this article when the Packers increased Tauscher's contract just to reward him for good play (and got no benefit from the increase). Kind of the reason why I think it's okay to overspend a bit on your own players if you aren't into UFA.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665764

"Philosophically, we feel like it's important for the club to recognize that the landscape changed a little bit with the collective bargaining agreement," Thompson said. "This is a mechanism that we've used to kind of help bridge that."

Not along ago, the Packers were averse to renegotiations. They refused to offer more money to Javon Walker in 2005 after he had outperformed the last two years on his contract, then traded the embittered wide receiver in April 2006.

"If you've got a happy locker room with guys that are happy about the business side of it and are enthusiastic about playing, you've got a really good football team," Harris said. "There's no bitchin'. None at all. Not that I know of."

Tauscher now counts $4.743 million against the salary cap, leaving the Packers $11.975 million of room.

"I think Ted's making a statement," Harris said. "They say there's no loyalty in the game, and in some cases that is true. But it really, really means a lot to players when they do come and take care of you.

"Money is a big thing, a real big thing. The thing about it is, if you're feeling you're underpaid, it's hard to go out every Sunday. Last year was hard for me. Ted really did (listen)."

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM

I didn't realize Tausch's deal was over at the end of the year.

Kind of interesting to go back and read this article when the Packers increased Tauscher's contract just to reward him for good play (and got no benefit from the increase). Kind of the reason why I think it's okay to overspend a bit on your own players if you aren't into UFA.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665764

Not along ago, the Packers were averse to renegotiations. They refused to offer more money to Javon Walker in 2005 after he had outperformed the last two years on his contract, then traded the embittered wide receiver in April 2006.

Tauscher now counts $4.743 million against the salary cap, leaving the Packers $11.975 million of room.

"I think Ted's making a statement," Harris said. "They say there's no loyalty in the game, and in some cases that is true. But it really, really means a lot to players when they do come and take care of you.

"Money is a big thing, a real big thing. The thing about it is, if you're feeling you're underpaid, it's hard to go out every Sunday. Last year was hard for me. Ted really did (listen)."

I may remember it wrong, but I thought I read somewhere when they tacked that extra money renegotiated into Taucher's final year's salary in 2008, that they wanted to do an extension, but Taucher was apt to play out his contract and hit free agency. He may be getting old, but speed was never his game...real solid player regardless.

I also wouldn't mind getting Bigby done on the cheap, to pair him long-term with Rouse after Collins leaves in 2009.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779696

Mark Tauscher couldn't take anything for granted as a lowly seventh-round draft choice in 2000 and he surely isn't now as one of the most time-tested players on the Green Bay Packers' roster.

As the only starter due to become an unrestricted free agent in March, Tauscher's future in Green Bay might be considered somewhat uncertain.

But judging by his level of fitness and performance early in training camp, it'd be surprising if the Packers didn't come with an offer for another contract sooner than later.

"You just never know how things will work out," Tauscher said. "But you're not going to worry about me retiring. I'm going to play as long as you can... until nobody wants you, then you gracefully move on."

Tauscher spent much of March in San Diego working out with Mike Wahle, the former Packers guard now with Seattle. When the Packers' off-season program began for veterans in late March, Tauscher spent even more time than usual in Green Bay...

Tauscher's role in the zone-blocking scheme often requires him to cut defensive linemen on the back side or combo-block up to linebackers on the front side. His hope is less weight translates into superior quickness.

"When you're lighter there's just something to feeling like you're moving faster," Tauscher said. "I'm not sure you are. But I do feel I'm moving around pretty well."

When Campen called Tauscher "one of the better right tackles in football," he wasn't far off. In its annual off-season player rankings, Pro Football Weekly rated Tauscher No. 17 among all tackles but No. 3 among right tackles, trailing Cincinnati's Stacy Andrews and Chicago's John Tait.