PDA

View Full Version : The Streak

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I know, ANOTHER Favre thread. But I havent seen too much discussion on here concerning "The Streak" and how it could play into decisions for the team and perceptions in the media and among fans.

Do the Packers want Brett's record to have an "*" on the end of it saying he got benched to end the streak of consecutive starts? Wouldnt that be a permanent blemish on the organization?

If the Packers cut him at the end of pre-season, does that end the streak? What if he signs with another team and starts for them later in the season? Would that count for keepoing the streak alive as long as he doesnt miss a game while on a roster?

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
the streak will end IF he is not running out of our tunnel or anyone elses tunnel come week 1... and thats just how the cookie crumbles sad to say

MJZiggy
Let's face facts, Vegas. The streak is toast.

bobblehead
do you think that should be a concern of the organization or should we concentrate on actually like winning games?

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it should be a concern... its a huge black mark on a great piece of history both for Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers...

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
What's the difference if the streak continues or not. It's already far and away more consecutive games than any other QB will even get a whiff of. It is an immortal record.

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree with Pacopete, but of course, winning games is the ultimate concern. I dont think the Packers are the type of organization, though, to not consider important pieces of their history. That is one of the things that makes the Packers the greatest sport franchise in the world.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
What's the difference if the streak continues or not. It's already far and away more consecutive games than any other QB will even get a whiff of. It is an immortal record.

As lame as he is.. Peyton Manning might have something to say about that

Zool
08-03-2008, 02:07 PM
IF Brett gets into camp, I actually hope they open up the QB competition. As annoyed as I am by Favre's antics, MM showed he can reel him in a bit and get a helluva season out of him. We now have Grant for a full season, a line that has another year of the ZBS under its belt and a D thats really coming together. Weapons looking good on O and the D should settle in nicely this season with probably 8-10 returning starters. If Brett plays the O better, put him in.

You cant hand him the job however. If he starts sucking it up this year, does MM really want to be the guy to bench Lord Favre?

If.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM

As lame as he is.. Peyton Manning might have something to say about that

Won't happen. He'll have to play at least 5 more seasons without missing a single start. Favre was superhuman in that regard, I don't see Manning making it that far.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:09 PM
people said the same thing about Favre 5 years ago that he'd never get this far... well he's healthier than ever and still wants to keep on tickin

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
If Favre doesnt start that first game, the record is obviously over, but they WOULD HAVE TO put an "*" on the end of that one.

And then this drama goes down in the history books, never to be forgotten.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:12 PM
agree... it'l be a horrible way for an amazing record to end.. a record that is sacred in sports..

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
people said the same thing about Favre 5 years ago that he'd never get this far... well he's healthier than ever and still wants to keep on tickin

I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying this about Favre. Ever. Even when he had that broken thumb on his throwing hand, nobody questioned whether he was going to start or not. The only time I doubted him was after he took that nasty shot from Lavar Arrington several seasons back, when I saw his knee buckle and I thought that was it. Later that week I heard doctors saying that a then 34 or 35 year old Brett Favre had the knees of a 20 year old. He started the next game and played the whole thing. Neither I nor anyone else I know or have been in discussions with had ever questioned Favre's durability at any other time in his career. Ever.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:16 PM
well when have you heard discussions about mannings health? The guy never gets hit, he has a good shot at it

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:16 PM
If Favre doesnt start that first game, the record is obviously over, but they WOULD HAVE TO put an "*" on the end of that one.

And then this drama goes down in the history books, never to be forgotten.

Fuck asterisks. His record is high enough to stand the test of time anyway, so what the hell does it matter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 02:17 PM
The Packers organization shouldn't worry about the Streak. They should worry about the team. Favre doesn't appear overly concerned about the Streak either. If he was, he wouldn't have retired twice or nixed a trade to Tampa Bay (or the Jets). If he would have okayed the trade to the Bucs a week ago, he'd likely be in the starting lineup in week 1.

GrnBay007
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
well when have you heard discussions about mannings health? The guy never gets hit, he has a good shot at it

He just had knee surgery, didn't he?

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM

He is recovering from very recent surgery right now. Favre never had surgery done weeks before the season began. Anything goes just a little bit wrong with his rehab and he misses week 1. End of streak.

Why the hell are you arguing this one with me? It is not the Packers concern to extend Favre's consecutive games streak anyway. The only person that matters to is Favre, who was well aware his streak would end when he said he was retiring. Favre's choice. So what's the arguement here?

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 02:21 PM
my argument was that you're wrong when you think his record cannot be touched.. manning has a great shot at it

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 02:23 PM
my argument was that you're wrong when you think his record cannot be touched.. manning has a great shot at it

For being in rehab after having surgery on his knees just over one month prior to Week 1, I'd say his chances are a bit less than you give him credit for. There is a fair chance that he misses week 1 of this upcoming season.

Packgator
08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
The Streak.....

Favre.............253
Manning.........160

If Manning keeps his streak alive he would catch Favre somewhere around November of the 2013 season. He will be 37 years old at that time.

That of course only applies if Favre's streak stops at 253.

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I dunno.

Dungy ain't going to stay there that long. Harrison ain't going to stay there that long. Manning has a cushy job in a broadcast booth whenever he wants to hang them up. IMO, the Colts have another 3-4 years left in them...then rebuilding time.

I'm guessing Manning isn't around for another 5+ years.

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
The streak matters to the Packers because it is another NFL record held by one of their players.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Damn, I thought this was about Ray Stevens.

Manning only had an inflammed bursa sac removed. It's not ligament, cartillage, or tendon damage. I don't see this being the beginning of chronic knee issues, like Javon or Koren. When you start reading about players getting their knees drained during preseason (like Deuce McAllister), they're toast, or about to be.

I don't think there should be an asterisk by Brett's name if he's a healthy scratch. People get benched all the time. When Rogers, Brohm, or whomever takes over for Brett, it's going to be part of the natural progression of players on an NFL team.

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
You're crazy if you dont think there will have to be an asterisk on that record.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
An asterisk on hearts and minds, but not in the books.

How many players would have had:

"* - but he still thought he could go"

on their records?

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
The Streak.....

Favre.............253
Manning.........160

If Manning keeps his streak alive he would catch Favre somewhere around November of the 2013 season. He will be 37 years old at that time.

That of course only applies if Favre's streak stops at 253.

I think all of Favre's records could, I stress could, be broken by Manning if he can avoid injury (although, I'm surprised he's been as relatively major injury free playing on turf regardless of how much/little he's been hit). Look at all the times we thought Brett was "done" getting some freak hit/tweaked injury in domes over the years, that he miraculously came back from the next week. Both Manning and Favre's streaks are incredible at this point.