PDA

View Full Version : Murphy releases statement..

imscott72
08-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Welcome back Brett!!

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/murphy-releases-statement-on-favre.aspx

Brando19
08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Well this is an interesting statement. I read it a couple times and I wouldn't bet against Brett being under center for the Packers if this statement is the way the team feels. It seems Murphy is sayind the team is willing to change it's course for now. Hmm...

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
That's a very good statement. Nice and cheerful.

Sets up perfectly for a trade....

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Well this is an interesting statement. I read it a couple times and I wouldn't bet against Brett being under center for the Packers if this statement is the way the team feels. It seems Murphy is sayind the team is willing to change it's course for now. Hmm...

It means "Hi, Brett, welcome to camp, don't make yourself comfortable."

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM

That's not really what I'm reading...

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure what this means. They've said they'd welcome him back to camp all along. There is no new information in this statement, as it does not say what role Favre would be coming back into. This sounds like a window opening to a competiton, but I don't see anything here that says Brett is going to be the starter for certain.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I still think this ends in a trade, but it puts even further doubt on the notion that he'll be released even on the eve of the regular season. If no trade can be worked out, he'll be a QB for the Green Bay Packers.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 03:15 PM

I read it, between the lines, as the Packers playing nice and saying "yeah, we've decided to go in a different direction, but we're going to address the situation of Favre coming into camp without getting all bitchy about it."

A trade will go down by Wednesday, me thinks.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I still think this ends in a trade, but it puts even further doubt on the notion that he'll be released even on the eve of the regular season. If no trade can be worked out, he'll be a QB for the Green Bay Packers.

He will be a QB for the Packers....not "the" QB for the Packers.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:16 PM

He will be a QB for the Packers....not "the" QB for the Packers.

That's what I meant - I worded my previous post very carefully, trying not to imply I thought Favre would be the starter.

Packgator
08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
What the heck is the "Rubicon"?

From Wikipedia......

Rubicon is a 29 km long river in northern Italy.

"Crossing the Rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to go past a point of no return and refers to Julius Caesar crossing the river in 49 BC deliberately as an act of war.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:24 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/negotiations-dead-favre-to-compete-for-starting-job.aspx

sounds like Brett will be splitting reps with Arod and will get to compete for the job... i cannot be happier than I am at this very moment... more to come after the family night scrimmage on the situation from McCarthy

Brando19
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry pacopete....i just started a thread similar to what you posted....my bad :oops:

motife
08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/08/03/1/

Here's the statement direct from the Packers website.

Statement By Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy
posted 08/03/2008

Sixteen years after Brett Favre came to the Packers, he is returning for a seventeenth season. He has had a great career with our organization and although we built this year around the assumption that Brett meant what he said about retiring, Brett is coming back. We will welcome him back and turn this situation to our advantage.

Frankly, Brett's change of mind put us in a very difficult spot. We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future, all predicated on Brett's decision last March to retire. As a result of his decision, we invested considerably in a new and different future without Brett and we were obviously moving in that direction. That's why this wasn't easy. Having crossed the Rubicon once when Brett decided to retire, it's very difficult to reorient our plans and cross it again in the opposite direction - but we'll put this to our advantage.

Brett will be in camp tomorrow. Although there has been uncertainty regarding Brett's return, Ted Thompson and Coach McCarthy had previously discussed this and have had a plan in place. Coach McCarthy will talk to the team and the quarterbacks about the plan moving forward, and after he has done that we will share it publicly.

No matter what, I look forward to another successful season for the Packers and our fans. This has been a tough situation, but the Packers will make the most of it.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I have no problem with him coming back. Even with him starting.

He DOES owe the fans an apology on what he did in this mess. I don't care what anyone else says, his wiffle-waffling and using surrogates to get his message out has made this a gigantic mess.

M3 should at least have the leeway to have a short leash if BF starts to nosedive.

gbgary
08-03-2008, 03:32 PM
to me it sounds like he's here to stay. i said early on if he's here he starts.

motife
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Roman generals were not allowed by the Senate to enter Italy with their armies accompnanying them to prevent attempts at a coup under penalty of death.

When Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon river and entered Italy, he was under a death sentence. So it was either establish himself as ruler with his army or be executed.

The metaphor means there is no possibility of turning back, once the Rubicon is crossed.

It's similar to an army burning bridges behind it to prevent retreat.

motife
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I have no problem with him coming back. Even with him starting.

He DOES owe the fans an apology on what he did in this mess. I don't care what anyone else says, his wiffle-waffling and using surrogates to get his message out has made this a gigantic mess.

M3 should at least have the leeway to have a short leash if BF starts to nosedive.

he also DOES need to shut his big mouth, regardless of what transpires.

both sides need to just take it one day at a time, and let McCarthy make the coaching decisions.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM

I read it, between the lines, as the Packers playing nice and saying "yeah, we've decided to go in a different direction, but we're going to address the situation of Favre coming into camp without getting all bitchy about it."

We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future, all predicated on Brett's decision last March to retire. As a result of his decision, we invested considerably in a new and different future without Brett and we were obviously moving in that direction. That's why this wasn't easy. Having crossed the Rubicon once when Brett decided to retire, it's very difficult to reorient our plans and cross it again in the opposite direction - but we'll put this to our advantage.

This doesn't sound like a trade is in the works. This sounds like Favre is going to be here, and the assumption that Arod will start for the Packers is gone. The big question is: Has Murphy overruled TT?

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:49 PM

We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future, all predicated on Brett's decision last March to retire. As a result of his decision, we invested considerably in a new and different future without Brett and we were obviously moving in that direction. That's why this wasn't easy. Having crossed the Rubicon once when Brett decided to retire, it's very difficult to reorient our plans and cross it again in the opposite direction - but we'll put this to our advantage.

This doesn't sound like a trade is in the works. This sounds like Favre is going to be here, and the assumption that Arod will start for the Packers is gone. The big question is: Has Murphy overruled TT?

If they've already decided that Favre is going to be the starter, I'm absolutely positive they'd have gotten Rodgers blessing first. Without Rodgers agreeing to be the backup without a competition there's no way they say Favre is the starter without a competition.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 03:51 PM

If they've already decided that Favre is going to be the starter, I'm absolutely positive they'd have gotten Rodgers blessing first. Without Rodgers agreeing to be the backup without a competition there's no way they say Favre is the starter without a competition.IF they give Favre the starters job back all three of them should be fired. Murphy Thompson and McCarthy for lack of spine.

vince
08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
The big question is: Has Murphy overruled TT?

Just from following McCarthy's comments all along, it's pretty clear that McCarthy and Thompson have agreed on the plan and have taken ownwership of it for a long time. Murphy's comment here seems to confirms that.

Although there has been uncertainty regarding Brett's return, Ted Thompson and Coach McCarthy had previously discussed this and have had a plan in place. Coach McCarthy will talk to the team and the quarterbacks about the plan moving forward, and after he has done that we will share it publicly.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 03:56 PM

i read it the complete opposite..."advantage"...as in we will trade him.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
i read the other part though where it said there has been no advancement on any sort of trade talk, but again.. they could be lying

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
But Ty, how do you read this: We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future,

Wasn't the long-term future that Arod would be the QB?

Cheesehead Craig
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't see anywhere where they even hint he will get to compete for the job. The Rubicon reference means Rodgers is still the starter.

As far as revisions of their actions and assumptions since Favre retired and is now reinstated:

- Now, they are going to have to deal with potentially trading Brett.
- Having to deal with Brett in TC until a deal is done.
- Now they have a full blown QB controversy to deal with from the viewpoint of the media and the fans.

I agree with several other posters here where I go along with the "turn it to our advantage" phrase meaning Brett will be traded for either draft picks and/or a young DL (given our health/legal issues there).

Patler
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Maybe it means:

We liked Rodgers and were ready to turn it over to him.
We like Brohm.
Favre's back.
Favre won't last forever and has little trade value.
Rodger could have good trade value.
We'll trade Rodgers, stick with Favre a year or two more, then turn it over to Brohm.

(I don't really think this is it. Just wanted to show that you can make almost any scenario fit the statement quoted.)

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I've thought about trading Rodgers too. He might well be a lot easier to trade than Favre. But I'd feel bad for Arod. He's done everything that could have been asked of him.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 04:13 PM
agree.. and to be honest if they could trust Favre and as him about stayin for this year and next and get the actual answer.. they would be very smart to trade him and get a great deal for him and then groom Brohm and Flynn for the future and let Arod play in peace somewhere else

falco
08-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I've thought about trading Rodgers too. He might well be a lot easier to trade than Favre. But I'd feel bad for Arod. He's done everything that could have been asked of him.

...and his best chance to succeed is here, especially in terms of surrounding talent and familiarity with the system

FavreChild
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
You gotta love the Packers for releasing a statement that requires this much interpretation.

Their PR people are actually getting paid for this???? :lol:

boiga
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Sigh... I don't suppose they could have figured out a messier way to do this?

Competition is a bad idea, but if that is what it takes to make Brett the backup, I hope it works out for the Packers.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
But Ty, how do you read this: We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future,

Wasn't the long-term future that Arod would be the QB?

Salary cap, backups, draft philosophy etc.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure we can count on Brohm being the long-term answer. I feel much better about Rodgers being the long-term answer.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/negotiations-dead-favre-to-compete-for-starting-job.aspx

sounds like Brett will be splitting reps with Arod and will get to compete for the job... i cannot be happier than I am at this very moment... more to come after the family night scrimmage on the situation from McCarthy

Easy there Paco. The practice rep bit came from "Packer SOURCES" and sources "close to the team." He's probably quoting Arrigo.

DonHutson
08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I think it means: we have to take Favre back. We won't release him. We won't trade him to the Vikings (at least, not yet). Favre won't agree to a trade anywhere else, so the rest of the trade market is non-existent. Favre is still a very good player, so if we're stuck with him it's silly not to let him compete.

I'm sure they are hoping Rodgers will outlplay Favre and that Favre will then accept a trade to Tampa, New York, or wherever else other than Minnesota.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm not sure we can count on Brohm being the long-term answer. I feel much better about Rodgers being the long-term answer.

I agree. If Rodgers isn't ready to start in his 3rd year, having gotten 2nd string reps from day 1, how is Brohm gonna be ready to start in year 3 without getting hardly any reps at all in his rookie season? Trading Rodgers is the absolute worst thing TT could do at this point.

boiga
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
.... Favre won't agree to a trade anywhere else, .....That doesn't matter any more though. By reinstating, Favre has lost his right to veto a trade. We can give up his rights to any team we want and all he can do is retire again.

Sure, we'll get a lousy deal for him in that circumstance, but at least it will get him out of our hair. Trade deals are more viable today than yesterday.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
.... Favre won't agree to a trade anywhere else, .....That doesn't matter any more though. By reinstating, Favre has lost his right to veto a trade. We can give up his rights to any team we want and all he can do is retire again.

Sure, we'll get a lousy deal for him in that circumstance, but at least it will get him out of our hair. Trade deals are more viable today than yesterday.I hope you are right.

DonHutson
08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
That doesn't matter any more though. By reinstating, Favre has lost his right to veto a trade. We can give up his rights to any team we want and all he can do is retire again.

Sure, we'll get a lousy deal for him in that circumstance, but at least it will get him out of our hair. Trade deals are more viable today than yesterday.

I can't see anybody giving up anything, not to mention casting a public vote of no confidence in their existing starter, for a guy that won't play for them.

I think the Packers are hoping Rodgers plays lights out, Favre plays well but not well enough to win the job, and Favre then accepts a trade that everyone agrees to.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
You gotta love the Packers for releasing a statement that requires this much interpretation.

Nah, this thing is genius. It seems like he said something important, and after reading it 10 times, no one can figure out what it means (until the Packers implement their "plan.")

Whoever wrote that should be a political speechwriter.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Nah, this thing is genius. It seems like he said something important, and after reading it 10 times, no one can figure out what it means (until the Packers implement their "plan.")

Whoever wrote that should be a political speechwriter.Probably is one already.