PDA

View Full Version : Favre to compete for starting job

Brando19
08-03-2008, 03:25 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/negotiations-dead-favre-to-compete-for-starting-job.aspx

Wow...looks like he'll be able to compete...ACCORDING TO SOURCES. Hope those sources are reliable.

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Shocking...but I like it if it is true. I'm not going to believe it until I see it though.

If the Packers were going to let him back to compete, why the hell did it take so damn long to reinstate him?

Brando19
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, really. I hope this is a lesson to Brett...if they take him back that is...don't retire in March because you may not have the option of coming back.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
no biggie Brando.. this probably deserves a thread anyways..

I think we will all know a lot more of the situation after tonights scrimmage the way it sounds.. with that being said I am going to training camp weds-sat this week and I feel like a 8 year old on christmas morning haha

falco
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
a) campen was right - if favre forced their hands and showed, they'd have to let him compete

b) the only way they can get decent trade value is if they create the impression brett could be staying in GB

c) they will let rodgers "beat" him out in TC, and have him on reserve in case they rodgers flounders or is injured

d) they let him start and allow rodgers to get as much reps as possible, and secretly hope favre falters and they can insert rodgers

these are just a few of the possible scenarios

falco
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
maybe they are hoping this will help push rodgers even harder???

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
a) campen was right - if favre forced their hands and showed, they'd have to let him compete

b) the only way they can get decent trade value is if they create the impression brett could be staying in GB

c) they will let rodgers "beat" him out in TC, and have him on reserve in case they rodgers flounders or is injured

d) they let him start and allow rodgers to get as much reps as possible, and secretly hope favre falters and they can insert rodgers

these are just a few of the possible scenariosC is your best bet. They may let him "compete" but he ain't getting the job.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
eh I dunno about that... I really think the Packers are the ones in the bind here because if Brett is not treated with the respect he feels he is owed, he will never sign that agreement with the Packers allowing them to sell his name in the future after he retires.. that would be a shitload of money they are missing out on and basically my other reasoning is that they will field the best players they have on the team.. its plain and simple

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
eh I dunno about that... I really think the Packers are the ones in the bind here because if Brett is not treated with the respect he feels he is owed, he will never sign that agreement with the Packers allowing them to sell his name in the future after he retires.. that would be a shitload of money they are missing out on and basically my other reasoning is that they will field the best players they have on the team.. its plain and simpleIF Favre gets pissy about anything. They will have their excuse to keep his ass on the bench. The Packers aren't in a bind by any means. Favre should be made to rot on the bench. If he doesn't like it, he can go home, it should be that simple.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
youre not understanding my point.. HE DOES NOT have to sign that agreement with the packers and if he doesn't, they will lose a lot of cash

gbgary
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Shocking...but I like it if it is true. I'm not going to believe it until I see it though.

If the Packers were going to let him back to compete, why the hell did it take so damn long to reinstate him?

yup. they clearly didn't want it to come to this. but i said once before that the only thing Rodgers has over Brett is legs. Brett, if he's still here at the end of camp, will be the starter again.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
i cannot wait to hear the crowd go nuts when he starts completing passes at training camp.. gosh damn i am pumped up

mission
08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
youre not understanding my point.. HE DOES NOT have to sign that agreement with the packers and if he doesn't, they will lose a lot of cash

dude, hello --

the whole point is brett was like "omg the packers hate me and wont let me play"

now we are ...

he cant get back on it and say "oh i dont wanna be in gb, i dont wanna sign that"

he already _said_ gb was his first choice even tho thats probably not really true. we called his bluff... and here we are.

brett wont be a packer by the end of the season.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
youre not understanding my point.. HE DOES NOT have to sign that agreement with the packers and if he doesn't, they will lose a lot of cashYOu aren't understanding my point. THey are no in a bind becuase if Favre gets pissy about ANYTHING, and that includes so called lack of respect, they will have their excuse to put him on the bench, agreement or no agreement.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:54 PM

dude, hello --

the whole point is brett was like "omg the packers hate me and wont let me play"

now we are ...

he cant get back on it and say "oh i dont wanna be in gb, i dont wanna sign that"

he already _said_ gb was his first choice even tho thats probably not really true. we called his bluff... and here we are.

you really think the Packers are going to throw away millions upon millions of dollars and put him on the bench>?

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
youre not understanding my point.. HE DOES NOT have to sign that agreement with the packers and if he doesn't, they will lose a lot of cashYOu aren't understanding my point. THey are no in a bind becuase if Favre gets pissy about ANYTHING, and that includes so called lack of respect, they will have their excuse to put him on the bench, agreement or no agreement.

What he is suggesting is that if Green Bay benches Favre - even if they have a justifiable reason for doing so - Favre will become even more spiteful and not allow the Packers thier 10 year window post retirement to continue to make shit tons of money on Favre merchandise.

Lurker64
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm predicting Aaron Rodgers legitimately beats out Brett Favre for the starting job in week 1. Combine Brett's complete lack of an offseason with his recent mediocre preseasons and his aging body, and Favre will be the backup in week 1 with nothing to complain about.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 03:56 PM

dude, hello --

now we are ...

you really think the Packers are going to throw away millions upon millions of dollars and put him on the bench>?IF they don't they should all be fired for being gutless cowards.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 03:56 PM
thank you gunakor... i must suck at explaining things

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 03:57 PM

dude, hello --

now we are ...

you really think the Packers are going to throw away millions upon millions of dollars and put him on the bench>?

If they feel Rodgers gives them the best chance to win, yes I do. Because once Rodgers starts winning they don't need to make money off of Favre merchandise anymore. They'll be making plenty of money on Rodgers merchandise.

Pacopete4

dude, hello --

now we are ...

you really think the Packers are going to throw away millions upon millions of dollars and put him on the bench>?IF they don't they should all be fired for being gutless cowards.

it has nothing to do with being cowards... like TT has said and in this situation it applies.. "its just good business"

cpk1994

What he is suggesting is that if Green Bay benches Favre - even if they have a justifiable reason for doing so - Favre will become even more spiteful and not allow the Packers thier 10 year window post retirement to continue to make shit tons of money on Favre merchandise.What Im suggesting is that if they kiss his ass in any way they need to be horse whipped.

falco
is it possible that this whole time the packers were just looking for favre to request his reinstatement to show that he is serious about playing??? that is what they have said - until they knew for sure, they weren't going to make any decisions

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm predicting Aaron Rodgers legitimately beats out Brett Favre for the starting job in week 1. Combine Brett's complete lack of an offseason with his recent mediocre preseasons and his aging body, and Favre will be the backup in week 1 with nothing to complain about.

If they follow the traditional starting QB gets 75% of the reps in practice..it should be almost impossible for brett to beat him out.

mission
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM

dude, hello --

now we are ...

are you illiterate?

where the fuck did i say we would put him on the bench?

we cant trade him for anything of value so we're playing the "brett is a packer" card and waiting for an increased offer.

i said nothing even kind of remotely, just maybe, close to what you insinuated i said ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

cpk1994
is it possible that this whole time the packers were just looking for favre to request his reinstatement to show that he is serious about playing??? that is what they have said - until they knew for sure, they weren't going to make any decisionsNO, becuase then they are a bunch of two faced liars. Then McCarthy needs to apologize for being a decietful SOB and resign immediately becuase he doesn't have any spine.

Pacopete4
It said in the article that Brett and Arod will split reps

imscott72
08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
This is all a ploy to increase his trade value imo. If they get a good offer he's gone me thinks..

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
This is all a ploy to increase his trade value imo. If they get a good offer he's gone me thinks..

Absolutely. But until they get that offer, it sounds to me like there will be a competition for the starting job.

imscott72
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
is it possible that this whole time the packers were just looking for favre to request his reinstatement to show that he is serious about playing??? that is what they have said - until they knew for sure, they weren't going to make any decisionsNO, becuase then they are a bunch of two faced liars. Then McCarthy needs to apologize for being a decietful SOB and resign immediately becuase he doesn't have any spine.

M3 is the coach. He doesn't get to make all the decisions. We don't know if M3 supports this or not so lets not form the lynch mobs yet.

Pacopete4
i cant wait to hear what McCarthy has to say tonight..

cpk1994

dude, hello --

now we are ...

it has nothing to do with being cowards... like TT has said and in this situation it applies.. "its just good business"It IS being gutless. You have now told your locker room that it is okay to stomp all over management and you will get what you want. TT is a disgrace.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 04:04 PM
OR you have told your locker room we are going to let the guy compete like all of you are and if he wins, he wins.. but the best players will be on the field because gentlemen, we are here to win a fuckin super bowl... and im sure all the players in that locker room will agree

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
The Pack are handling this well.

A-Rod will still be the QB on opening night, no doubt about it. But TT and Co. are making themselves look damn good.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
OR you have told your locker room we are going to let the guy compete like all of you are and if he wins, he wins.. but the best players will be on the field because gentlemen, we are here to win a fuckin super bowl... and im sure all the players in that locker room will agreeThats not how I would read it as a player. If m3 allows Favre to be thae starter, he better be prepared for the shitstorm that will happen when more players pull stunts.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
OR you have told your locker room we are going to let the guy compete like all of you are and if he wins, he wins.. but the best players will be on the field because gentlemen, we are here to win a fuckin super bowl... and im sure all the players in that locker room will agree

Even if Favre wins and is the starter during the regular season, can we start Rodgers for at least the first quarter of our first playoff game? I'm far from sold on Favre to get us to a Super Bowl because Favre isn't all that spectacular in January.

cpk1994

A-Rod will still be the QB on opening night, no doubt about it. But TT and Co. are making themselves look damn good.Lets hope so. If not I will lose all respect for BOTH TT & M3. All that M3 has said about team committment will be absolute garbage.

gbgary

A-Rod will still be the QB on opening night, no doubt about it. But TT and Co. are making themselves look damn good.

i agree about the Pack. i don't about who'll be #1...but if AR does win it, i'm cool with that. the best players HAVE to be on the field.

digitaldean
Maybe it's a ploy, but I doubt it. This team has been on a yo-yo enough as it is. At some point, you have to focus on how you're going to run the team this season. They've crossed that threshold already.

M3 said they had contingency plans if Brett came back. Though it scraps their plan A, they now have to implement plan B. I am assuming Favre is going to win the starting job. If he can't beat out Rodgers (who some in this forum think is the 2nd coming of John Hadl), the Favre sycophants should be just as vocal to have him hang it up.

It may not be the easiest thing to do, but they've got 4 weeks of preseason to get it done.

As for calling M3 spineless, he is between a rock and a hard place. I feel more for him because he's got to deal with the prima donna BS.

If this season ends with a divided team/locker room it can all be laid at Brett's feet, not M3's.

falco
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
wow, am i the only person here who didn't know cpk1994 and imscott72 weren't the same person????? damn

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
OR you have told your locker room we are going to let the guy compete like all of you are and if he wins, he wins.. but the best players will be on the field because gentlemen, we are here to win a fuckin super bowl... and im sure all the players in that locker room will agreeThats not how I would read it as a player. If m3 allows Favre to be thae starter, he better be prepared for the shitstorm that will happen when more players pull stunts.

If Favre wins and everybody sees it, who's gonna bitch? If Favre earns his job then he should get it. I've been hoping for a competition. I think Aaron can beat Brett for the job, but if he doesn't then Brett should be and will be the starter.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Maybe it's a ploy, but I doubt it. This team has been on a yo-yo enough as it is. At some point, you have to focus on how you're going to run the team this season. They've crossed that threshold already.

M3 said they had contingency plans if Brett came back. Though it scraps their plan A, they now have to implement plan B. I am assuming Favre is going to win the starting job. If he can't beat out Rodgers (who some in this forum think is the 2nd coming of John Hadl), the Favre sycophants should be just as vocal to have him hang it up.

It may not be the easiest thing to do, but they've got 4 weeks of preseason to get it done.

As for calling M3 spineless, he is between a rock and a hard place. I feel more for him because he's got to deal with the prima donna BS.

If this season ends with a divided team/locker room it can all be laid at Brett's feet, not M3's.NO hes not,, He needs to nut up, be a man on the first day and say "Aaron is our starter. I said it all off season and nothing changes." IF he caves to Lord Favre he is spineless.

Fosco33
08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Good. Make a decision and go that way.

So you 'lost' a pick on getting Flynn - maybe he would've been a decent QB but hard to keep 4 on the roster if Favre stays as part of reg season roster.

I still like the Brohm pick and they needed to do something about 3rd string.

What else did the Packers do differently 'moving past Favre'?

If Favre wins the starting QB spot, I think management has sent the message that they think ARod is ready and maybe they use him more (especially late season). Will ARod really be 'fed up' with GB about not playing this year and leave - or will he be finally able to move past Favre?

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM

If Favre wins and everybody sees it, who's gonna bitch? If Favre earns his job then he should get it. I've been hoping for a competition. I think Aaron can beat Brett for the job, but if he doesn't then Brett should be and will be the starter.You know what Im done. Trade his ass to Minnesota, I don't care. I want him gone. I don't want to have to see that POS ever again!

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM

So you 'lost' a pick on getting Flynn - maybe he would've been a decent QB but hard to keep 4 on the roster if Favre stays as part of reg season roster.

If Favre wins the starting QB spot, I think management has sent the message that they think ARod is ready and maybe they use him more (especially late season). Will ARod really be 'fed up' with GB about not playing this year and leave - or will he be finally able to move past Favre?

If he leaves, were fucked. Those who complain about Rodgers' inexperience should be the first to agree with me. If Rodgers leaves then we are left with an even more inexperienced Brian Brohm, who basically fortfieted his rookie season because the 3rd string QB doesn't get very many reps at all. How is he going to develop into anything sitting on the bottom of the depth chart? Rodgers is the answer long term, and every effort should be made to keep him happy and in Green Bay. Especially now that Favre is coming back, because like I said, that means that Brohm isn't going to develop any this year.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 04:15 PM

If Favre wins and everybody sees it, who's gonna bitch? If Favre earns his job then he should get it. I've been hoping for a competition. I think Aaron can beat Brett for the job, but if he doesn't then Brett should be and will be the starter.You know what Im done. Trade his ass to Minnesota, I don't care. I want him gone. I don't want to have to see that POS ever again!

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that way

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

If he leaves, were fucked. Those who complain about Rodgers' inexperience should be the first to agree with me. If Rodgers leaves then we are left with an even more inexperienced Brian Brohm, who basically fortfieted his rookie season because the 3rd string QB doesn't get very many reps at all. How is he going to develop into anything sitting on the bottom of the depth chart? Rodgers is the answer long term, and every effort should be made to keep him happy and in Green Bay. Especially now that Favre is coming back, because like I said, that means that Brohm isn't going to develop any this year.Well now that management has lost their spine and caved to Lord Favre, kiss Rodgers goodbye. Hes gone.

falco
08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
i'm pro-management in this debate, but if favre is going to be our QB this year, so be it, I'm ready to get on board - it sure would suck spending the whole year rooting against our starting QB

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:17 PM

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that way

Paco, Packer fan doesn't mean Favre fan. I'm still pissed as hell for the shit he pulled. I for one hope he does NOT win the competition, but I think it's fair he be allowed to try. And I still hope he gets traded, and takes all the controversy with him.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
i'm pro-management in this debate, but if favre is going to be our QB this year, so be it, I'm ready to get on board - it sure would suck spending the whole year rooting against our starting QBIt won't for me if Favre is the starter.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
It said in the article that Brett and Arod will split reps

The linked article at the beginning of this thread said no such thing...unless i missed it.

Brando19
08-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Agreed.

lod01
08-03-2008, 04:19 PM

If he leaves, were fucked. Those who complain about Rodgers' inexperience should be the first to agree with me. If Rodgers leaves then we are left with an even more inexperienced Brian Brohm, who basically fortfieted his rookie season because the 3rd string QB doesn't get very many reps at all. How is he going to develop into anything sitting on the bottom of the depth chart? Rodgers is the answer long term, and every effort should be made to keep him happy and in Green Bay. Especially now that Favre is coming back, because like I said, that means that Brohm isn't going to develop any this year.Well now that management has lost their spine and caved to Lord Favre, kiss Rodgers goodbye. Hes gone.

Who cares. Brohm can handle the job 2 years from now. How do we get rid of you though?

FritzDontBlitz
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm good. The whole second string thing was a bluff. Brett called it, so they tried to buy him off and he didn't fall for that, either.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that wayIM a packer fan and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

falco
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
IM a packer fan and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

i can't imagine our team would do to well after your purging, mr stalin

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
i'm pro-management in this debate, but if favre is going to be our QB this year, so be it, I'm ready to get on board - it sure would suck spending the whole year rooting against our starting QBIt won't for me if Favre is the starter.

What if Rodgers has agreed to this already, and has agreed to stay on board even if he loses a competiton for the starting job? I don't think the Packers would have done this without consulting with Rodgers first. Rodgers IS the starter after all. My thoughts are that Rodgers agreed to a competiton, and has assured the Packers that if he loses the competition he'll accept that and continue to be the backup. There's no way that TT risks losing Rodgers over this. It's very believable, considering the fact that Rodgers appears to be an extremely team oriented guy.

gbgary
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Well now that management has lost their spine and caved to Lord Favre, kiss Rodgers goodbye. Hes gone.

they haven't caved unless Brett is out-played and they still give it to him.

GrnBay007
08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
IM a packer fan and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

LOL wow, such anger.

I'm happy! :D ...for now.

Fosco33

Why would Rodgers leave? Why is this such a guarantee? What were the incentives (salary) if he played/started or made certain milestones?

Will that monetary loss mean he's gone?

IF SO... why not...

Trade him for value now or risk losing him to FA and getting little/nothing in return (maybe a comp pick). Sure, you run the risk of Favre getting hurt and then having to rely on Brohm - but you also train Brohm for the future... or bring in some vet if that scenario plays out.

To me - I think Rodgers stays around. He still has one of the best jobs in football as a near guarantee and can stay healthy a little longer. He also has plenty of leverage for a bigger contract (you guys screwed me out of more money, you have no other viable QB, there's only X # of QBs on the FA market, etc.).

Pacopete4

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that wayIM a packer fan and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

haha youre a joke

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM

i can't imagine our team would do to well after your purging, mr stalinIm soory, but I thought they were men who were high on commitment to team., I had a ton of respoect for them. Sadly is was all BS from them. They are just as spineless as Mike Sherman.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Paco,

I don't think Favre is a POS like cpk just stated, but I hold him mostly accountable for this debacle and how it's affected the team and their fans.

He will have to do more than ever before to unite this team and the fans. If that means actually apologizing for this mess, that would do a lot. If Favre had so many people firmly in his corner, there would have been more than 100-200 at those rallies and more than 30 in Milwaukee.

There are a lot that #4 has treated pretty poorly in this, so I understand CPK's frustration.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

haha youre a jokeNo, you are the joke by being the sole definer of what makes a packer fan.

DonHutson
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
My take, assuming this is true (a disclaimer that has to be put on everything regarding this fiasco... I mean, scenario):

a) they have to accept him on to the roster since they will not release him

b) Favre is still not agreeing to a trade to the Jets, Buccs, or anywhere else Green Bay wants him to go

c) Packers still won't trade him to the Vikings

This means they're stuck with him (for now). I would assume McCarthy took the pulse of the locker room and he gets the feeling that the best move for team chemistry is an open competition. Presumably the players want the best man starting.

Presumably this means Thompson (and probably Murphy and McCarthy) are setting aside personal preference for the sake of locker room harmony. I still firmly believe that Favre rubs these guys the wrong way and they'd prefer to be rid of him, but they won't give him away for less than full value either. Whether this approach is spineless, realistic, or opportunistic is open to interpretation.

I would further assume (and we'll find out for sure tomorrow if this assumption is wrong) that Rodgers is still the starter until he loses the job. I don't see this as reneging any promise to Rodgers. The job was and is his to lose. If Rodgers had folded and Brohm stepped up, eventually Brohm would've been the starter. Same will be true with Favre. Any promise of a starting job should inherently come with the disclaimer that continued production is required to keep it.

The big questions: what happens if Rodgers and Favre play even in camp and the pre-season? If Favre loses this competition, will he take it like a man or raise a big stink?

If this is still Rodgers job to lose, I think it's entirely plausible that he'll play well enough to keep it.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 04:26 PM

haha youre a jokeNo, you are the joke by being the sole definer of what makes a packer fan.

If Favre is the starting QB and you root for him to fail then you are rooting for the Packers to fail. By any definition, that is not a Packer fan. I hope Rodgers wins this competition and is the starter, but if not then I'll root for Favre because I want the PACKERS to be successful.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Paco,

I don't think Favre is a POS like cpk just stated, but I hold him mostly accountable for this debacle and how it's affected the team and their fans.

He will have to do more than ever before to unite this team and the fans. If that means actually apologizing for this mess, that would do a lot. If Favre had so many people firmly in his corner, there would have been more than 100-200 at those rallies and more than 30 in Milwaukee.

There are a lot that #4 has treated pretty poorly in this, so I understand CPK's frustration.

Understandable but to talk about a guy thats given us all hes had for 16 years and who has done more work in the community than any of us ever will.. i have to say that he at least has earned the respect of not tearing him down for changing his mind... who are we to say when he can stop playing? Yes, this situation is a mess and Favre is partly to blame for that... but it take two my brotha... it taaaaakes two...

And I'm sorry too, because I cannot sit there and rip on a legend and a guy that has brought our organization to the level that is now at... without him, where the hell do you think we'd be?

imscott72
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Meds anyone? Seriously you're talking about someone that's brought this organization back to the top over the past 16 years. Has he not handled situations well? Of course not, but man, please show a little respect.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM

If Favre is the starting QB and you root for him to fail then you are rooting for the Packers to fail. By any definition, that is not a Packer fan. I hope Rodgers wins this competition and is the starter, but if not then I'll root for Favre because I want the PACKERS to be successful.I will never root for that POS again. And management can go stick their 'Team commitment" where the sun don't shine. They obviously don't know what that means.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I think the best scenario is for Favre to be the starter, with the stated backing of Aaron Rodgers. Give Rodgers a contract extension which will assure him the pay of a starting QB.

Gunakor
Paco,

Understandable but to talk about a guy thats given us all hes had for 16 years and who has done more work in the community than any of us ever will.. i have to say that he at least has earned the respect of not tearing him down for changing his mind... who are we to say when he can stop playing? Yes, this situation is a mess and Favre is partly to blame for that... but it take two my brotha... it taaaaakes two...

And I'm sorry too, because I cannot sit there and rip on a legend and a guy that has brought our organization to the level that is now at... without him, where the hell do you think we'd be?

Careful Paco... Without Favre's OT interception... I know the whole team struggled in that game, but Favre was no exception. We didn't get a chance to see what Rodgers could do in the cold. Just sayin.

cpk1994
Paco,

There are a lot that #4 has treated pretty poorly in this, so I understand CPK's frustration.I appreciate that.

Patler
08-03-2008, 04:30 PM

If Rodgers' decision to leave is based on the situation with Favre this year, it would be very, very immature on his part. Rodgers' best chance to succeed will be in GB, in a system he will know very well and with a coach and GM who like him and will "owe him" in a way.

IF GB is his best opportunity, here is where he should stay, regardless of what happened this year with Favre. However, if Favre decides to return for yet another season, his best opportunity may not be in GB. But, a lot can happen between now and next Spring.

motife
Montauk J. Jones
Favre can still play? Maybe in week three against detroit but not in a money game, a cold game, and God know's not a playoff game. Bigger the game, bigger the choke job.

One thing about Rogers is we won't watch some wild eyed Qb choking away the big game or folding like a cheap suit in the playoff's.

July 27, 2008 4:09 PM

I'd start Aaron all year long, but be willing to pull him if he falters during a game.

There could be worse things than having Favre as backup.

gbgary
The big questions: what happens if Rodgers and Favre play even in camp and the pre-season? If Favre loses this competition, will he take it like a man or raise a big stink?

if they play even.......i'd give it to the guy with the legs...Rodgers. if this happens i'd hope Brett would do the right thing. ya know...i think THAT would make him retire for good.

mmmdk
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
So Favre can compete; what will that entail? TT & McCarthy said that Rodgers was the clearcut # 1 guy...this has to come from Rodgers himself. Aaron might have been asked if he'd be ok with open competition and he'd probably be fine with it. If that's the case then I'll cool; anything else would be two-faced. All could be good!

Favre is still immature though but can play; I wouldn't bet against him on the latter. Winning in the playoffs is another matter entirely.

Fosco33
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM

If Rodgers' decision to leave is based on the situation with Favre this year, it would be very, very immature on his part. Rodgers' best chance to succeed will be in GB, in a system he will know very well and with a coach and GM who like him and will "owe him" in a way.

IF GB is his best opportunity, here is where he should stay, regardless of what happened this year with Favre. However, if Favre decides to return for yet another season, his best opportunity may not be in GB. But, a lot can happen between now and next Spring.

I agree.

Why would Rodgers leave? Why is this such a guarantee? What were the incentives (salary) if he played/started or made certain milestones?

Will that monetary loss mean he's gone?

IF SO... why not...

Trade him for value now or risk losing him to FA and getting little/nothing in return (maybe a comp pick). Sure, you run the risk of Favre getting hurt and then having to rely on Brohm - but you also train Brohm for the future... or bring in some vet if that scenario plays out.

To me - I think Rodgers stays around. He still has one of the best jobs in football as a near guarantee and can stay healthy a little longer. He also has plenty of leverage for a bigger contract (you guys screwed me out of more money, you have no other viable QB, there's only X # of QBs on the FA market, etc.).

boiga
Sigh.... so this is where we are at now? Instead of the pro-favre crowd rooting against our starting QB, we have the anti Favre crowd saying that they'll root against a starting QB.

I'll be supporting who ever is under center. However, I really do hope that Rodgers wins out here. He's put in the time, has the skills and is doing everything he can for the team. Favre's got diminishing, isn't willing to put in the time, and is doing everything he can for himself.

If Rodgers wins the competition and Brett accepts the backup job, I think we'll be better off for all this mess. Any other combo and we're pretty much screwing ourselves over.

Pacopete4
Paco,

Careful Paco... Without Favre's OT interception... I know the whole team struggled in that game, but Favre was no exception. We didn't get a chance to see what Rodgers could do in the cold. Just sayin.

I meant for the last 16 years.. not for this upcoming season

The reason this organiztion is where it is now is because of 5 men Harlan, Wolf, Holmgren, White, and Brett Favre

Tyrone Bigguns
Montauk J. Jones
Favre can still play? Maybe in week three against detroit but not in a money game, a cold game, and God know's not a playoff game. Bigger the game, bigger the choke job.

One thing about Rogers is we won't watch some wild eyed Qb choking away the big game or folding like a cheap suit in the playoff's.

July 27, 2008 4:09 PM

I'd start Aaron all year long, but be willing to pull him if he falters during a game.

There could be worse things than having Favre as backup.

I agree. Bring on the pack version of woodstrock.

Jimx29
I'm happy as hell about this. http://i38.tinypic.com/30xhndh.gif
I've always thought that coaches were taught to put the best team on the filed. They (coaches/GM) have finally put themselves in the right position to do just that.

Gunakor

if they play even.......i'd give it to the guy with the legs...Rodgers. if this happens i'd hope Brett would do the right thing. ya know...i think THAT would make him retire for good.

If they play even, you give the playing time to Rodgers. Rodgers is going to get better, while Favre is or soon will be on the decline. Rodgers needs the experience, so if he gives this team as good a chance to win, he needs the playing time.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Meds anyone? Seriously you're talking about someone that's brought this organization back to the top over the past 16 years. Has he not handled situations well? Of course not, but man, please show a little respect.

Im sorry, but I have no repsect for someone who shit on the Packers like that. I don't care what he has done in the past. He is a POS to me. ANd managment are a bunch of gutless cowards.

gbgary
08-03-2008, 04:38 PM

If they play even, you give the playing time to Rodgers. Rodgers is going to get better, while Favre is or soon will be on the decline. Rodgers needs the experience, so if he gives this team as good a chance to win, he needs the playing time.

sounds like we agree.

texaspackerbacker
08-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Well, this thread SEEMS to be a good thing from the point of view of those who wanted this. Don't get your hopes up completely, though, just because some ESPN reporterette claims to have the scoop. Thompson/McCarthy/Murphy aren't going to tip their hand and admit prejudging the "competition".

The big negative here would be that this "competition" distracts and detracts from getting Rodgers used to the first team offense. I don't think, however, that they will let it come to that. As somebody said on the other page, Rodgers is presumed to be the incumbent starter.Thus, he will get the great majority of reps in practice. It's his job to lose--and I don't think he will.

And how exactly do you judge a "competition" like this? Rodgers won't be under the mental stress of a game, and Favre won't be under the physical stress he would be in a game. A large part of Brett's success last year was modifying the offense to suit his aging body--shorter quicker patterns so he wasn't rushed, etc. This year, if they play it straight up, as they should, it is a distinct advantage for Rodgers.

If the end result of all this, though, is Favre being a contented backup--available in case Rodgers is injured, then it's a happy ending.

dtown
If Favre's on the team, he's going to be the starter in the opener - no way will TT/MM break the consecutive games streak. If Favre finds out he can't play anymore, my guess is he'd voluntarily re-retire.

This season's fucked anyways, might as well roll with it with Favre.

Joemailman
The idea of having an open competition at QB seems odd to me. You have a future HOF'er coming off one of his best years vs. a guy who never started. Teams that have an open competition are usually teams that don't have a guy who has accomplished all that much up to the present time. I think they're better off saying tomorrow who the starter will be. That would be less divisive than having an "open competition" that some may feel was fixed from the start.

The Gunshooter
08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Rodgers can't leave. He is under contract for two more years. That being said I will be very suprised to see Farve win back the starting job short of injury. It's Rodger's job to lose and he won't. :D

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:42 PM
The idea of having an open competition at QB seems odd to me. You have a future HOF'er coming off one of his best years vs. a guy who never started. Teams that have an open competition are usually teams that don't have a guy who has accomplished all that much up to the present time. I think they're better off saying tomorrow who the starter will be. That would be less divisive than having an "open competition" that some may feel was fixed from the start.Then they need to show the 'team commitment' they preach and say "Aaron Rodgers is our starter".

MOBB DEEP
08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
LET'S GOOOOOOOO.....!!!!!!

best qb EVER!!!

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM

If this season ends with a divided team/locker room it can all be laid at Brett's feet, not M3's.

Yet again, I'm in total agreement with ou.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Personally, I'm not sure if I want Brett as our QB. Not after all this.

I want Brett traded. I think that will happen, or at least I hope so.

DonHutson
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
If Favre's on the team, he's going to be the starter in the opener - no way will TT/MM break the consecutive games streak.

I think the streak is the least of their worries.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Personally, I'm not sure if I want Brett as our QB. Not after all this.

I want Brett traded. I think that will happen, or at least I hope so.They can trade him for a kicking tee for all I care.

Mazzin
08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
On the first page of this thread people were saying that we may trade Mr. Favre still....But if the is a serious option, how can we actually let him practice with the team, and still trade him to the VIKINGS?

I think if he does come and compete, it will totally destroy any chance Favre had of going to any NFC North team period. He will see the little wrinkles we have added to our defense, and ect.

I know he pretty much know the whole offense like the back of his hand, but any little trick plays, and ANY subtle changes, he will have the heads up on, and we just can't play against that twice a year. And TT needs to save face, and can't allow it if he practices.

Am I wrong? 8-)

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 04:55 PM
On the first page of this thread people were saying that we may trade Mr. Favre still....But if the is a serious option, how can we actually let him practice with the team, and still trade him to the VIKINGS?

I think if he does come and compete, it will totally destroy any chance Favre had of going to any NFC North team period. He will see the little wrinkles we have added to our defense, and ect.

I know he pretty much know the whole offense like the back of his hand, but any little trick plays, and ANY subtle changes, he will have the heads up on, and we just can't play against that twice a year. And TT needs to save face, and can't allow it if he practices.

Am I wrong? 8-)TT is never gonna trade him within the division anyway so you are wrong about that part.

boiga
08-03-2008, 04:58 PM
No, you have it right Mazzin. With this move Ted is saying that the Packers would rather keep Brett on the roster than give him up to the Vikes.

However, that's less relevant now that Favre has lost his veto power over trade talks. Now any team that wants to pay the Packers for him can obtain full rights over him whether he likes it or not. So, we no longer have any reason to try for a trade with the Vikings either.

If the Packers are in a nasty mood, Brett could be a Dolphin by tuesday.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
If Favre is the starter, he will need to conduct himself a bit differently than in the past. The players have accepted Rodgers, and many may actually prefer Rodgers. In his retirement press conference, Brett said that in recent years maybe he hasn't been as good a teammate as he was in the past. He's going to have to work harder to that kind of teammate again. I don't think the Packers can go with Favre a the starter without Rodgers' expressed support.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 05:01 PM
No, you have it right Mazzin. With this move Ted is saying that the Packers would rather keep Brett on the roster than give him up to the Vikes.

However, that's less relevant now that Favre has lost his veto power over trade talks. Now any team that wants to pay the Packers for him can obtain full rights over him whether he likes it or not. So, we no longer have any reason to try for a trade with the Vikings either.

Payback's a bitch, eh Brett? :lol:

boiga
08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
True, Joe. A lot of the team chemistry angle will be determined by how Brett comports himself in the now shared locker room. Will he be standoffish with the younger guys, like before? How will he react to the media horde in the locker room? Will he act like a team mate, or like a prima donna?

There are a lot of different ways this could work out. If Brett burns his bridges with his team mates, this could result in a more unified Packer team should he get traded.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 05:04 PM

I don't think any team will trade for Favre unless Favre says he is willing to go there. I can't imagine that at this point in his career he wants to go to what may be the worst team in the league.

packers11
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The Packers have hired former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer as a consultant to help with the Brett Favre saga.

What is he gonna do? Fleischer, who was George W. Bush's spokesman in the White House during Bush's first term, will reportedly be on the payroll for one month. He spoke to the Packers' players on Thursday. Fleischer's only known tie to pro sports is as an avid Yankees fan. David Blaine would've been a better choice. He could make Favre disappear.

Source: FOXSports.com

boiga
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't think any team will trade for Favre unless Favre says he is willing to go there. I can't imagine that at this point in his career he wants to go to what may be the worst team in the league.

Why not? They'd get his rights and he'd be given the choice to play for them or sit home.

I'm sure any trade deal will have any recompense be conditional on Favre actually starting for their team at some point during the season, so if Favre refuses to play, a trade partner wouldn't lose much.

Edit: Admittedly the Dolphins are a bad fit, They don't have the cap room to pay him. But my point is that we can get rid of him if we want to now.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 05:08 PM
All Miami would gain is the media circus the Packers have been dealing with. That's the last think a rookie coach needs.

Patler
08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
If Favre is the starter, he will need to conduct himself a bit differently than in the past. The players have accepted Rodgers, and many may actually prefer Rodgers. In his retirement press conference, Brett said that in recent years maybe he hasn't been as good a teammate as he was in the past. He's going to have to work harder to that kind of teammate again. I don't think the Packers can go with Favre a the starter without Rodgers' expressed support.

Interesting point. Reportedly Favre was very cool toward rookies recently, and almost shunned Rodgers.

IF Favre stays; and IF he is really concerned about the team dynamic, the one thing he MUST do is defer some of the leadership role to Rodgers, and he MUST embrace Rodgers as his eventual successor. He should assist in the transition, welcome the opportunity to help prepare Rodgers, etc.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM

That never stopped Tampa Bay from trading for Jake Plummer.

Gunakor
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM

I think that GM's would learn from that mistake.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM

I think that GM's would learn from that mistake.Well, this is a line of work that has Matt Millen as a employee, so I wouldn't take that to the bank.

GrnBay007
08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
This is all part of the bigger, happy ending story...

Favre will return to the Packers and apologize for the distractions that were caused prior to the season. He will compete for the QB job and win it. He will go on to lead the Packers to a super bowl win and then will happily retire for good. Rodgers will go on to successfully lead the Pack.

TT/MM will look good because they allowed a competition.

Rodgers will look good because he didn't get bucky with Favre returning.

Favre will gain back the love from all the Favre haters by leading them to and winning the Super Bowl.

It's really quite simple. :D

Merlin
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
My take, assuming this is true (a disclaimer that has to be put on everything regarding this fiasco... I mean, scenario):

a) they have to accept him on to the roster since they will not release him

b) Favre is still not agreeing to a trade to the Jets, Buccs, or anywhere else Green Bay wants him to go

c) Packers still won't trade him to the Vikings

This means they're stuck with him (for now). I would assume McCarthy took the pulse of the locker room and he gets the feeling that the best move for team chemistry is an open competition. Presumably the players want the best man starting.

Presumably this means Thompson (and probably Murphy and McCarthy) are setting aside personal preference for the sake of locker room harmony. I still firmly believe that Favre rubs these guys the wrong way and they'd prefer to be rid of him, but they won't give him away for less than full value either. Whether this approach is spineless, realistic, or opportunistic is open to interpretation.

I would further assume (and we'll find out for sure tomorrow if this assumption is wrong) that Rodgers is still the starter until he loses the job. I don't see this as reneging any promise to Rodgers. The job was and is his to lose. If Rodgers had folded and Brohm stepped up, eventually Brohm would've been the starter. Same will be true with Favre. Any promise of a starting job should inherently come with the disclaimer that continued production is required to keep it.

If this is still Rodgers job to lose, I think it's entirely plausible that he'll play well enough to keep it.

I agree that it is Rodgers job to lose, however "Family Night" isn't going to show you anything new about Rodgers. From what I have been reading, he has been pretty average in camp and the other two QB's have been less then stellar. I wouldn't count Favre out yet, give him a week in camp and see if it helps Rodgers get better (which it has been my position that competition makes anyone better or weeds them out and Rodgers has never had any competition). I think that in and of itself will show what Rodgers is made of, simply handing him everything without having to compete or work for it is ridiculous.

cpk1994

Favre will return to the Packers and apologize for the distractions that were caused prior to the season. He will compete for the QB job and win it. He will go on to lead the Packers to a super bowl win and then will happily retire for good. Rodgers will go on to successfully lead the Pack.

Favre will gain back the love from all the Favre haters by leading them to and winning the Super Bowl.

It's really quite simple. :DGuess again.

Joemailman

My recollection is that the Plummer situation didn't create quite the media frenzy that the Favre situation has.

GrnBay007
08-03-2008, 05:21 PM

It's really quite simple. :DGuess again.

OK then, he won't gain back your love, but 99.9% of all Packer fans. Have it your way....

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:23 PM

My recollection is that the Plummer situation didn't create quite the media frenzy that the Favre situation has.But the scenario is the same. Plummer threatened to retire if he was traded to Tampa Bay. Tampa went throuigh with it anyway. Plummer retired. That was my point.

Sparkey
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Maybe....just maybe

They made Favre jump through all these "hoops" to see how dedicated he really is about wanting to play ?

It will be interesting to see what his conditioning is like.

rbaloha1
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I think the best scenario is for Favre to be the starter, with the stated backing of Aaron Rodgers. Give Rodgers a contract extension which will assure him the pay of a starting QB.

Agreed. Except BF could keep pulling this retirement/unretirement stunt for years.

IMO while AR has "value" trade him for a DT and a draft pick.

Ultimately Packers Management should have allowed Bus Cook to find a trade partner prior to the draft. Maybe we could have swapped pics (ie Matt Hasselbeck) and/or accumulated picks.

The Packers management miscalculated keeping BF retired. Now we must face the unfortunate miscalculation.

RashanGary
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Rodgers is going to win the competition.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Agreed. Except BF could keep pulling this retirement/unretirement stunt for years.

IMO while AR has "value" trade him for a DT and a draft pick.

Ultimately Packers Management should have allowed Bus Cook to find a trade partner prior to the draft. Maybe we could have swapped pics (ie Matt Hasselbeck) and/or accumulated picks.

The Packers management miscalculated keeping BF retired. Now we must face the unfortunate miscalculation.Problem is Bus and Faver only want to deal with the Vikings. Trading him their would be a miscalulation that would be enough to land TT in the unemployment line.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

The problem with this scenario is that Rodgers has already said that if Favre comes back, he will ask for a trade. If he will be looking for a trade before this contract is up, you cannot assume he will want an extension because the likelihood is that he will tell them where to stuff their extension and if they won't trade him, he'll be gone in free agency.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM

The problem with this scenario is that Rodgers has already said that if Favre comes back, he will ask for a trade. If he will be looking for a trade before this contract is up, you cannot assume he will want an extension because the likelihood is that he will tell them where to stuff their extension and if they won't trade him, he'll be gone in free agency.You have a link or quote for that?

The Shadow
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I think Rodgers is going to win the competition.

And if that should happen. look for Favre, his brother, Deanna, Bonita, and Bus to start the whining again or take their ball and go home.

imscott72
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM

The problem with this scenario is that Rodgers has already said that if Favre comes back, he will ask for a trade. If he will be looking for a trade before this contract is up, you cannot assume he will want an extension because the likelihood is that he will tell them where to stuff their extension and if they won't trade him, he'll be gone in free agency.

do you have a link to this? I never saw him quoted as saying this. Not saying he didn't, but I never saw it.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
It's in one of these other threads here somewhere. There are so few lately, it should be no problem to find... :shock:

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Uhh....just how are the Packers supposed to find a trade partner before the draft when Favre made his choice AFTER the draft? (also he nixed the un-re-retirement before the draft too).

The Packers mgmt. didn't miscalculate in this. They did not find a trading partner to get what they wanted. If Favre doesn't go out of his way to help those who will replace him, he will do more to hamstring this franchise in the future.

IF we win a Super Bowl this year, Favre will get his deserved accolades. But if this team disintegrates when it hits a rough patch, he will be the primary suspect.

SD GB fan
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
i propose a two QB, gadget offensive system.

who cares for the west coast system, anyways?

rbaloha1
08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
[/quote]Problem is Bus and Faver only want to deal with the Vikings. Trading him their would be a miscalculation that would be enough to land TT in the unemployment line.[/quote]

The LA Times ran a story around March reporting Bus Cook was seeking a trade for BF. The Vikings were not the only team mentioned in the report.

The Vikings only mantra started in June. Again the Packers possibly had a chance to trade BF in March but ARROGANCE overruled their thoughts.

boiga
do you have a link to this? I never saw him quoted as saying this. Not saying he didn't, but I never saw it.Although, a Caveat to that rumor is that it comes from a board member who claims Rodgers told him that while drinking at a bar.

We've heard no official ultimatum of that sort yet.

Harlan Huckleby
The Packers mgmt. didn't miscalculate in this. They did not find a trading partner to get what they wanted.

How do you find a trading partner, when the guy you are trying to trade won't talk to the new team? Not exactly a sales advantage.

falco
08-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Problem is Bus and Faver only want to deal with the Vikings. Trading him their would be a miscalculation that would be enough to land TT in the unemployment line.[/quote]

The LA Times ran a story around March reporting Bus Cook was seeking a trade for BF. The Vikings were not the only team mentioned in the report.

The Vikings only mantra started in June. Again the Packers possibly had a chance to trade BF in March but ARROGANCE overruled their thoughts.[/quote]

what??? the packers had agreed to let favre return to the team in march....

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
do you have a link to this? I never saw him quoted as saying this. Not saying he didn't, but I never saw it.Although, a Caveat to that rumor is that it comes from a board member who claims Rodgers told him that while drinking at a bar.

Ah yes. BTW, that's a her not a him.

DonHutson
08-03-2008, 05:48 PM

My recollection is that the Plummer situation didn't create quite the media frenzy that the Favre situation has.But the scenario is the same. Plummer threatened to retire if he was traded to Tampa Bay. Tampa went throuigh with it anyway. Plummer retired. That was my point.

I don't remember for sure, but I thought Plummer retired from Denver and said he didn't want to play anymore. Tampa made the trade on the off chance Plummer was really just miffed with Denver. He wasn't and he stayed retired.

Favre clearly does want to play, but only for certain teams. So I still don't see why any team would give up something to voluntarily step into the middle of this situation. The NFL seems to want Favre to play if he wants to. If some team acquires him knowing full well that Favre doesn't want to play for them, then they become the team that's keeping Favre from playing. They'll have Goodell and the media hounding them.

I don't think any team has been envious of the Packers' situation over the past few weeks.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 05:49 PM
The Packers mgmt. didn't miscalculate in this. They did not find a trading partner to get what they wanted.

How do you find a trading partner, when the guy you are trying to trade won't talk to the new team? Not exactly a sales advantage.

Yes, I failed to list that as well. That was as much or more of a problem as anything else.

But, Brett didn't do anything wrong here , did he? :roll:

boiga
08-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Ah yes. BTW, that's a her not a him. my mistake :oops:

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:50 PM

I thought Plummer retired from Denver and said he didn't want to play anymore. Tampa made the trade on the off chance Plummer was really just miffed with Denver. He wasn't and he stayed retired.

Favre clearly does want to play, but only for certain teams. So I still don't see why any team would give up something to voluntarily step into the middle of this situation. The NFL seems to want Favre to play if he wants to. If some team acquires him knowing full well that Favre doesn't want to play for them, then they become the team that's keeping Favre from playing. They'll have Goodell and the media hounding them.

I don't think any team has been envious of the Packers' situation over the past few weeks.No, Plummer threatned to retire if he was traded, but Tampa wnet through with it anyway.

Brando19
08-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, I read an interview with ARod in which he said if Brett wants to come back, come on...Rodgers just wants him to be happy.

VegasPackFan
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
So now again at the end of the season we will be dealing with the BIG QUESTION once again - will he or wont he retire. Soooo much fun.

The Pack would do good to re-do A-Rods contract RIGHT NOW and tie him up long term as the future starter for theteam. Otherwise, welcome to Biran Brohm for the next few years.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:54 PM
So now again at the end of the season we will be dealing with the BIG QUESTION once again - will he or wont he retire. Soooo much fun.

The Pack would do good to re-do A-Rods contract RIGHT NOW and tie him up long term as the future starter for theteam. Otherwise, welcome to Biran Brohm for the next few years.By caving into Lord Favre, locking Rodgers up long term is now impossible. WHy should Aaron accept a long term deal if the Packers can't cut the cord from Favre?

boiga
08-03-2008, 05:54 PM

The Pack would do good to re-do A-Rods contract RIGHT NOW and tie him up long term as the future starter for theteam. Otherwise, welcome to Biran Brohm for the next few years. Why would Rodgers accept a new deal now? We can't pay him like a starting QB until he gets on the field. He won't take a backup's role and deal because he knows he deserves better.

So unless we let him start sometime this year and he earns his paycheck, Rodgers will be off to another team that will let him do just that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 05:58 PM
By caving into Lord Favre, locking Rodgers up long term is now impossible. WHy should Aaron accept a long term deal if the Packers can't cut the cord from Favre?

I'm curious why you think the team is caving?

Its obvious that Favre can and will block any trades.

He has a right to report to camp, he's under contract.

What the heck would you have the team do? Their options are very limitted. They could say that Favre will not be able to compete for a job, I suppose, but that is hard to pull off too.

By saying that Favre can compete, they really haven't committed to anything.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
By caving into Lord Favre, locking Rodgers up long term is now impossible. WHy should Aaron accept a long term deal if the Packers can't cut the cord from Favre?

Its obvious that Favre can and will block any trades.

He has a right to report to camp, he's under contract.

What the heck would you have the team do? Their options are very limitted. They could say that Favre will not be able to compete for a job, I suppose, but that is hard to pull off too.

By saying that Favre can compete, they really haven't committed to anything.Announce that "Rodgers is the starter." IF they truely believe in team commitment that they preach, then Rodgers is the starter week 1. If Favre doesn't like it, tough shit. Otherwise, ervything that M3 has said is bullshit.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
(interwebs trouble)

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Announce that "Rodgers is the starter." IF they truely believe in team commitment that they preach, then Rodgers is the starter week 1. If Favre doesn't like it, tough shit. Otherwise, ervything that M3 has said is bullshit.ya, I suppose they could do that.

But what's the difference between that and having Rodgers win the job? Which approach generates more ill will and controversy?

I would say they PROBABLY have chosen the least bad option.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 06:09 PM
ya, I suppose they could do that.

But what's the difference between that and having Rodgers win the job? Which approach generates more ill will and controversy?

I would say they PROBABLY have chosen the least bad option.The difference is that they reinforce "team commitment" and that management will not tolerate any shit from anybody. The message they are sending now is "Its ok if you bad mouth us, lie, and shit all over the players who were here from the start. You can do whatever yoiu want and you will still have a job.". By saying "We are comemitted to Aaron Rodgers and he is our starter" shows that no one is above the team.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
i think i will have a hard time being a packer fan if Favre wins the starting job.

Brando19
08-03-2008, 06:13 PM
i think i will have a hard time being a packer fan if Favre wins the starting job.

In week 4 when we're 4-0....will you be able to say that?

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

I don't know. I've soured tremendously on Favre in the last three weeks.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 06:15 PM

In week 4 when we're 4-0....will you be able to say that?I will.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Ah yes. BTW, that's a her not a him.

Ok, let me get this straight....again. Yes, I have gone out and had drinks with ARod a few times. In a small town like this, people have mutual friends, not a biggie. However, it was not told to me over a beer that he would demand a trade...he told a mutual friend of ours that if he wasn't starting this fall, he would request to be sent elsewhere. He wants to play.

prsnfoto
08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Good to see you treat everyone the same piss you off and ya hate for life.
What did your mommy do to you as a child?

gbgary
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Announce that "Rodgers is the starter." IF they truely believe in team commitment that they preach, then Rodgers is the starter week 1. If Favre doesn't like it, tough shit. Otherwise, ervything that M3 has said is bullshit.

when AR was named "the starter" Brett wasn't on the team. now he is and there'll be "an open competition." may the best man win. after all...it's puting the best team on the field that counts.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
If that is the case, I don't blame ARod.

He's the one who really got screwed in this mess.

boiga
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, let me get this straight....again. Yes, I have gone out and had drinks with ARod a few times. In a small town like this, people have mutual friends, not a biggie. However, it was not told to me over a beer that he would demand a trade...he told a mutual friend of ours that if he wasn't starting this fall, he would request to be sent elsewhere. He wants to play. You should really consider putting that up as your signature.

prsnfoto
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Good the Lions need fans. Do you and 1994 and mission and all the other haters actually read what you write? Guess it turns out the jocksniffers are the true fans and you all SUCK! Remember the team is bigger than Favre and the team is always right and whatever the team decides is the word of GOD blah,blah,blah you guys are comical.

Chevelle2
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I just got back from vacation...wow crazyeeeeeee!!!!

Go Rodgers!

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Announce that "Rodgers is the starter." IF they truely believe in team commitment that they preach, then Rodgers is the starter week 1. If Favre doesn't like it, tough shit. Otherwise, ervything that M3 has said is bullshit.

when AR was named "the starter" Brett wasn't on the team. now he is and there'll be "an open competition." may the best man win. after all...it's puting the best team on the field that counts.Thats why I said, If McCarthy wants to show he means it when he talks about team committment, he makes that ststement again, otherwise he has been feeding the fans BS.

Joemailman
08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, I read an interview with ARod in which he said if Brett wants to come back, come on...Rodgers just wants him to be happy.

Here's the link.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3491920

SnakeLH2006
08-03-2008, 06:27 PM

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that wayIM a bandwagon fan at best and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

:trll: Don't worry man. I'm in active negotiations with CPK1994's mom to cut the sugar cookies and Jolt sodas out his diet. The hangup in the negotiations seems that she wants to include a spell checker for her son, but I'm trying to get her to understand that we don't want him back as an active poster until he gets his attacks on players, management, and posters under control (aka what being a Packer fan is really all about). This could go down to the wire. :smack:

imscott72
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM

We're a forgiving society. You'll come around.. :)

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM

We're a forgiving society. You'll come around.. :)

will the Favre fans forgive McCarthy if Favre is the backup week 1? I expect it is going to be ugly.

imscott72
08-03-2008, 06:31 PM

when AR was named "the starter" Brett wasn't on the team. now he is and there'll be "an open competition." may the best man win. after all...it's puting the best team on the field that counts.Thats why I said, If McCarthy wants to show he means it when he talks about team committment, he makes that ststement again, otherwise he has been feeding the fans BS.

Why do you keep assuming M3 calls all the shots?

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 06:31 PM

youre a tool, sorry to be rude, but wow.. you must not be a Packer fan if you can even talk about Brett that wayIM a bandwagon fan at best and I can say whatever I want about that POS. I want him GONE you haer me G O N E. I don't want to have to look or hear about him ever agin. And he can take TT, MM, and M3, the spineless cockroaches with them.

:trll: Don't worry man. I'm in active negotiations with CPK1994's mom to cut the sugar cookies and Jolt sodas out his diet. The hangup in the negotiations seems that she wants to include a spell checker for her son, but I'm trying to get her to understand that we don't want him back as an active poster until he gets his attacks on players, management, and posters under control (aka what being a Packer fan is really all about). This could go down to the wire. :smack:Ooh you really scare me. :taunt:

Brando19
08-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Here's the link.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3491920

Thanks!

boiga
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Why do you keep assuming M3 calls all the shots? He's the guy who picks the starter. He has sole authority over on field decisions. All Murphy or Ted could do to influence his decision is to ask nicely or threaten to fire him.

So, it'll be all up to M3 whether the Packers start Rodgers or Favre.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
You have only 1/3 of the story correct. Cook was reported, by two sources in two separate instances, of telling teams Favre was going to play again. He was not seeking a trade.

He publicly denied this in both instances as did Favre. So it cannot be said under any circumstances that the Packers could have allowed Cook to find a trade if Cook was unwilling even to acknowledge that Favre wanted to play.

Problem is Bus and Faver only want to deal with the Vikings. Trading him their would be a miscalculation that would be enough to land TT in the unemployment line.

The Vikings only mantra started in June. Again the Packers possibly had a chance to trade BF in March but ARROGANCE overruled their thoughts.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Tampa traded for him and knew he might retire. They made a conditional draft pick trade with the knowledge that if Plummer stayed retired, they would only lose a seventh and get to recover most of his recent signing bonus.

Favre has very little of his signing bonus that has not been applied to the cap. So there is no financial benefit for the acquiring team.

I don't remember for sure, but I thought Plummer retired from Denver and said he didn't want to play anymore. Tampa made the trade on the off chance Plummer was really just miffed with Denver. He wasn't and he stayed retired.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Tell us how you really feel. What the flying fuck did he do to make you this pissed. He thinks TT is full of shit. He decided to unretire.....man, what's up with all the hate?

bobblehead
08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm sure this is going to get lost in the 9 page thread, but I would like to state for the record I don't like the recent happenings. We basically caved to grant and now we caved to favre.

If we have learned anything the last few years with TT its that not cavin to spoiled rotten athletes and putting high character on the field leads to 13-3.

This does not bode well for the immediate future. At this point I am seeing a circus atmosphere and a bad season ahead. Worst part is that this is exactly what a lot of posters have been calling for, and it is exactly the wrong way to run the organization. When it flops TT actually deserve a lot of blame for the first time.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Tell us how you really feel. What the flying fuck did he do to make you this pissed. He thinks TT is full of shit. He decided to unretire.....man, what's up with all the hate?He shit all over he orginization I root for. And now it appears that this 'team committment' that McCarthy has been selling is a bunch of BS. Is that clear enough for you?

bobblehead
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
He won't get it cpk, he is a favre fan and he is giddy that BF is back, he doesn't care about the long term consequences of all this. When BF retires again next year, and the media won't let him go causing a distraction and we face several years of trying to get that "team first" attitude back he'll start crying, for now, the favre jock sniffers are happy as a pig in shit.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
He won't get it cpk, he is a favre fan and he is giddy that BF is back, he doesn't care about the long term consequences of all this. When BF retires again next year, and the media won't let him go causing a distraction and we face several years of trying to get that "team first" attitude back he'll start crying, for now, the favre jock sniffers are happy as a pig in shit.Since Ras is a Viking fan I don't see him as a Favre sychophant.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
He won't get it cpk, he is a favre fan and he is giddy that BF is back, he doesn't care about the long term consequences of all this. When BF retires again next year, and the media won't let him go causing a distraction and we face several years of trying to get that "team first" attitude back he'll start crying, for now, the favre jock sniffers are happy as a pig in shit.

hes a viking fan and a football fan in general and he would probably tell you himself how cckp1994 is acting

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Tell us how you really feel. What the flying fuck did he do to make you this pissed. He thinks TT is full of shit. He decided to unretire.....man, what's up with all the hate?He shit all over he orginization I root for. And now it appears that this 'team committment' that McCarthy has been selling is a bunch of BS. Is that clear enough for you?

No, to be honest I think you are completely full of shit. But that's okay, you can feel the same way about me. He thinks TT is a lying snake and he unretired. He said a bunch of dumb shit in the press, like he's been doing for years. What exactly did the guy do to shit all over the oraganzation you worship? I'm more surprised by the Packers reaction to all this myself. I'm sure Rodgers is going to be on the toip of the depth chart and if he gets outplayed he'll be like every other man on the roster, he will be replaced. He has the advantage but he has to deliver.

Patler
I sure hope those in charge see this as business, and not as personal as some of you fans have. If I have learned one thing from my years in business it is that today's foe is tomorrow's partner, and today's partner is tomorrow's foe. If you start taking it too personally, you lose out in both situations.

That's why you should never act too far on emotion. My biggest concern is that maybe Favre has; but I don't think the Packers have. This can be resolved.

pbmax
Glazer says McCarthy Has Not Opened The Competition Yet

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8408908/Favre-will-be-officially-reinstated-on-Monday

McCarthy, GM Ted Thompson and Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy met Sunday and decided to wait until Monday to make a final decision about whether Favre would have an opportunity to regain his starting position.

After that meeting, McCarthy spoke with Favre and told him as much.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Glazer says McCarthy Has Not Opened The Competition Yet

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8408908/Favre-will-be-officially-reinstated-on-Monday

McCarthy, GM Ted Thompson and Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy met Sunday and decided to wait until Monday to make a final decision about whether Favre would have an opportunity to regain his starting position.

After that meeting, McCarthy spoke with Favre and told him as much.

I'm sure Rodgers sits on top of the depth chart and unless he totally screws it up, he stays there. Not a complicated thing actually.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
No, to be honest I think you are completely full of shit. But that's okay, you can feel the same way about me. He thinks TT is a lying snake and he unretired. He said a bunch of dumb shit in the press, like he's been doing for years. What exactly did the guy do to shit all over the oraganzation you worship? I'm more surprised by the Packers reaction to all this myself. I'm sure Ridgers is going to be on the toip of the depth chart and if he gets outplayed he'll be like every other man on the roster, he will be replaced. He has the advantage but he has to deliver.

You used to rip on Favre a lot for his retirement indecision and his loudmouth, but now you take his side when he's taken it to a whole new level. Nothing personal, but I think it points out the mentality of a rival fan more than anything. Rip on the rival's player, but when it comes down to a rival's player vs. organization, take the side of the player. I tend to do the same thing when it comes to Vikings issues. I wonder why that is.

The converse is that you take the side of the Vikings organization when it comes down to the organization vs. the player. See Moss, Culpepper, and others. I tend to do the same.

Bottom line: I've defended Favre a lot (big mouth, retirement indecision), but I think he went over the line this time.

boiga
08-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm sure Rodgers sits on top of the depth chart and unless he totally screws it up, he stays there. Not a complicated thing actually.That's the way that I see this as well. I've Quarterback competitions only work if it is 1 guy's job to lose. That guy is still Rodgers. So until he screws up, Favre won't be able to complain.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
No, to be honest I think you are completely full of shit. But that's okay, you can feel the same way about me. He thinks TT is a lying snake and he unretired. He said a bunch of dumb shit in the press, like he's been doing for years. What exactly did the guy do to shit all over the oraganzation you worship? I'm more surprised by the Packers reaction to all this myself. I'm sure Ridgers is going to be on the toip of the depth chart and if he gets outplayed he'll be like every other man on the roster, he will be replaced. He has the advantage but he has to deliver.

You used to rip on Favre a lot for his retirement indecision and his loudmouth, but now you take his side when he's taken it to a whole new level. Nothing personal, but I think it points out the mentality of a rival fan more than anything. Rip on the rival's player, but when it comes down to a rival's player vs. organization, take the side of the player. I tend to do the same thing when it comes to Vikings issues. I wonder why that is.
]

First off Harv, you are 100% correct!

I don't think either one of us do it on purpose. Let me say this, I absolutely 100% thought the Packers should demand a Favre answer before free agency every one of those years. I said it before, I say so now. I also don't disagree with the Packers installing Rodgers as the starter. The only thing that blows my mind is the almost frantic attempts at keeping him out of camp. That's what is so damn strange to me. I really don't think he scewered the team. He obviously hates TT but he is always saying gracious things about the organization. I am not saying he should be declared the started but I don't get the unrelenting hate, thats all. I hated the guy myself until about 4 years ago when he no longer seemed god-like. Then again, about that time I stopped hating anything in sports. It's a friggen game.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:39 PM

No, to be honest I think you are completely full of shit. But that's okay, you can feel the same way about me. He thinks TT is a lying snake and he unretired. He said a bunch of dumb shit in the press, like he's been doing for years. What exactly did the guy do to shit all over the oraganzation you worship? I'm more surprised by the Packers reaction to all this myself. I'm sure Rodgers is going to be on the toip of the depth chart and if he gets outplayed he'll be like every other man on the roster, he will be replaced. He has the advantage but he has to deliver.Why don't you go replay the Greta interview and get back to me. NO im not full of shit. I feel exactly they way I have posted about that pile of shit. I have no tolerance for a whining crying primadonna spoiled brat.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM

No, to be honest I think you are completely full of shit. But that's okay, you can feel the same way about me. He thinks TT is a lying snake and he unretired. He said a bunch of dumb shit in the press, like he's been doing for years. What exactly did the guy do to shit all over the oraganzation you worship? I'm more surprised by the Packers reaction to all this myself. I'm sure Rodgers is going to be on the toip of the depth chart and if he gets outplayed he'll be like every other man on the roster, he will be replaced. He has the advantage but he has to deliver.Why don't you go replay the Greta interview and get back to me. NO im not full of shit. I feel exactly they way I have posted about that pile of shit. I have no tolerance for a whining crying primadonna spoiled brat.

Then I assume if I go back read all your posts you'll be ripping the guy for the last several years because guess what, he's been that for a while now and you know it.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Then I assume if I go back read all your posts you'll be ripping the guy for the last several years because guess what, he's been that for a while now and you know it.Guess what, you will. I have detested the guy for years. This just seals the deal.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Boy I'd hate to see how youre feelings are for a QB if we ever have a shitty one...

Rastak
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Guess what, you will. I have detested the guy for years. This just seals the deal.

Fair enough. I'm not sure there is anyone in sports I detest but I'll take your word . It does explain things. Carry on.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Boy I'd hate to see how youre feelings are for a QB if we ever have a shitty one...Well, I'll gve you an example. I remember having to sit through Randy Wright. I thought he sucked but I respected the guy. He was trying his best.

gex
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM

:trll:
Haters will hate
:roll:

gex
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Boy I'd hate to see how youre feelings are for a QB if we ever have a shitty one...Well, I'll gve you an example. I remember having to sit through Randy Wright. I thought he sucked but I respected the guy. He was trying his best.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bobblehead
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I sure hope those in charge see this as business, and not as personal as some of you fans have. If I have learned one thing from my years in business it is that today's foe is tomorrow's partner, and today's partner is tomorrow's foe. If you start taking it too personally, you lose out in both situations.

That's why you should never act too far on emotion. My biggest concern is that maybe Favre has; but I don't think the Packers have. This can be resolved.

This isn't a normal business though. Imagine if you had one employee who was very talented, but he refused to putin the work the others do, you would not cut him slack....I wouldn't, its sets a horrible precedent. Thats just me though.

bobblehead
08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Haters will hate

Only when he is hating on a guy who put himself above the team. We'll see how you handle it if favre causes problems and the team limps to 7-9 amid the distractions. This is not healthy for the green bay packers....period.

gex
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM

This isn't a normal business though. Imagine if you had one employee who was very talented, but he refused to putin the work the others do, you would not cut him slack....I wouldn't, its sets a horrible precedent. Thats just me though.

I would. If that one employee was making me twice as much money as everybody else, Everyone else better pick it up if they want that treatment.
They are replaceable, the most skilled employee is not.

gex
08-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Haters will hate

Only when he is hating on a guy who put himself above the team. We'll see how you handle it if favre causes problems and the team limps to 7-9 amid the distractions. This is not healthy for the green bay packers....period.

What now you want the team to fail cause of your hatred for Favre? :roll:

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM

I would. If that one employee was making me twice as much money as everybody else, Everyone else better pick it up if they want that treatment.
They are replaceable, the most skilled employee is not.Bullshit. Favre is jsut as replaceable as anyone. Oh thast right, you suck Favre's dick.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Haters will hate

Only when he is hating on a guy who put himself above the team. We'll see how you handle it if favre causes problems and the team limps to 7-9 amid the distractions. This is not healthy for the green bay packers....period.You know better than to reason with someone who slurps Favre's salami.

gex
08-03-2008, 08:56 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: CPK :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: CPK :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:So you admit you suck Favre's dick? Thats okay, at least you are honest.

Patler
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM

You simply try to fix whatever the problem is. Maybe he's burned out from the pressure and the success. You try to find where he fits now, where he was or somewhere else. It's not cutting him slack, its good business. It's taking care of your people.

Rastak
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: CPK :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:So you admit you suck Favre's dick? Thats okay, at least you are honest.

You seem to be awfully focused on dicks....not that there is anything wrong with that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
If there is a competition, I actually hope that they go with Brett if it's close. The only way I can see they go with Aaron is if he tears it up in the preseason and Brett comes in rusty. I don't think Aaron is the type that thinks he should be gifted it anyways.

I still think the whole think sets a bad precedent. That Brett is bigger than the team. I've loved Brett, but I never thought he was bigger than the team. It seems like others disagree. You have McCarthy preaching to everybody how important the offseason work is to the team, and then Brett is going to get out of all of that (something he's made known he hates). I've always felt that your best players need to be your hardest workers and best leaders, and I'm not sure that's the case this year with #4. He worked hard last year. He worked harder to reach out to the younger guys. Greg Jennings article in ESPN the Magazine is a perfect example. He said that he barely talked to Brett his rookie year, and that Brett seemed aloof. He changed a bit last year. His leadership skills this offseason have been severely lacking. The fact he skipped minicamps and OTAs shows that he hasn't put in the same work that the other guys have.

GBRulz
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Grow up, really.

Brando19
08-03-2008, 09:25 PM

You seem to be awfully focused on dicks....not that there is anything wrong with that.

No no....not that there's anything wrong with that. I love Seinfeld.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
His leadership skills this offseason have been severely lacking. The fact he skipped minicamps and OTAs shows that he hasn't put in the same work that the other guys have.

Agree, Harv. Favre has to go out of his way this year to make this work. He is disrespecting the team and the other players with this soap opera.

That's why if this locker room disintegrates, it probably won't fall on M3. #4's "me-first" attitude may end up being the cause of it.

I'm hoping that this season turns out to be the storybook ending. Just hope that story isn't "Nightmare on 1265 Lombardi Ave."

Bretsky
08-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Sigh.... so this is where we are at now? Instead of the pro-favre crowd rooting against our starting QB, we have the anti Favre crowd saying that they'll root against a starting QB.

I'll be supporting who ever is under center. However, I really do hope that Rodgers wins out here. He's put in the time, has the skills and is doing everything he can for the team. Favre's got diminishing, isn't willing to put in the time, and is doing everything he can for himself.

If Rodgers wins the competition and Brett accepts the backup job, I think we'll be better off for all this mess. Any other combo and we're pretty much screwing ourselves over.

I will root for GB regardless of who is under center; you won't see too many extremist Favre haters saying they will root against GB if Favre is under center

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
As much as I love Favre, I don't want him on this team. Period. Not as a starter, not as a backup, not as anything that has a role on the field.

Will I root for him if he magically becomes the starter? Of course.

But I still wouldn't want him under center.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
How come BallHawk?

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 10:12 PM
As much as I love Favre, I don't want him on this team. Period. Not as a starter, not as a backup, not as anything that has a role on the field.

But I still wouldn't want him under center.I agree with not wanting him on this team no matter what.

gex
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM

But I still wouldn't want him under center.I agree with not wanting him on this team no matter what.

No kiddin' :shock:

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I am willing to accept Favre on this team. If we see a Favre that has a season even close to last year's, we may get over the hump.

But if we see Favre's skills deteriorate, see him get booed for multiple pick games, he will regret having come back.

I will cheer him the entire way. I will also cheer for A-Rod the entire way. Because IF in the event Favre does stink it up in this so-called competition, A-Rod would then deserve the chance to start.

I am hoping for less game threads than some of the crap that went on tonight for a stinkin' scrimmage.

Favre is not a deity, I'm getting pretty fed up of the worshipping of him.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:29 PM
If there is a competition, I actually hope that they go with Brett if it's close. The only way I can see they go with Aaron is if he tears it up in the preseason and Brett comes in rusty. I don't think Aaron is the type that thinks he should be gifted it anyways.

I still think the whole think sets a bad precedent. That Brett is bigger than the team. I've loved Brett, but I never thought he was bigger than the team. It seems like others disagree. You have McCarthy preaching to everybody how important the offseason work is to the team, and then Brett is going to get out of all of that (something he's made known he hates). I've always felt that your best players need to be your hardest workers and best leaders, and I'm not sure that's the case this year with #4. He worked hard last year. He worked harder to reach out to the younger guys. Greg Jennings article in ESPN the Magazine is a perfect example. He said that he barely talked to Brett his rookie year, and that Brett seemed aloof. He changed a bit last year. His leadership skills this offseason have been severely lacking. The fact he skipped minicamps and OTAs shows that he hasn't put in the same work that the other guys have.

While its bad he wasn't at OTAs, how do you know he wasn't working at home? You don't need a personal trainer to work out. I'm sure he's in fine shape. I'm not worried about it.

I think starting an inferior quarterback sends the wrong message. May the best man win, thats only fair. This isn't a support group. This is a football team. Check your feelings at the door.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
How come BallHawk?

1. I don't have faith that he can lead us to a Super Bowl. He can't get it done in the playoffs.

2. This team wants to get, and is getting, younger. Having a QB just short of 40 is going against the direction Ted and Co. are trying to accomplish.

3. Favre treated this organization like trash. I will never, no matter what happens, forgive him for that.

4. Favre isn't coming back to help the team, he's coming back because HE wants to play the game. So why not go allow a trade to happen? He's got some mixed up feelings about the Pack.

5. I believe Aaron gives us a better chance to win.

That's about it.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I think starting an inferior quarterback sends the wrong message. May the best man win, thats only fair. This isn't a support group. This is a football team. Check your feelings at the door.

And Aaron is inferior how? :?:

gex
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM

While its bad he wasn't at OTAs, how do you know he wasn't working at home? You don't need a personal trainer to work out. I'm sure he's in fine shape. I'm not worried about it.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM
How come BallHawk?

1. I don't have faith that he can lead us to a Super Bowl. He can't get it done in the playoffs.

2. This team wants to get, and is getting, younger. Having a QB just short of 40 is going against the direction Ted and Co. are trying to accomplish.

3. Favre treated this organization like trash. I will never, no matter what happens, forgive him for that.

4. Favre isn't coming back to help the team, he's coming back because HE wants to play the game. So why not go allow a trade to happen? He's got some mixed up feelings about the Pack.

That's about it.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM

You could say that about the entire team...since none of them showed up in that Giants game. That loss was hardly on Favre alone...the blame can be shared by every person in that locker room, players and coaches alike.

I disagree. The team is not looking to get younger...they were the youngest team in the league last season, and looked like it in big games against Dallas, Chicago, and New York. This team doesn't need to gain more youth...it needs to gain more experience.

You don't know the whole story any more than the rest of us. The truth is very likely somewhere between Favre's side and management's side. Favre has given every ounce of himself on and off the field for this organization for 15+ years. I think he has earned the chance to apologize and make it right.

Complete speculation. How the hell do you know Favre's motives? Favre wants to play because he feels he can still play at a high level and help the team. Maybe he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to play for the Packers. Thought of that?

Maybe. With a competition in camp, we'll see who the better QB is. I'm putting my money on Favre...because experience is a trump card when playing QB in the NFL.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:50 PM

We don't know that he is yet. We will soon enough (hopefully). He hasn't beaten Favre in the previous three years, which leads me to believe he is still inferior. We'll see soon enough.

FritzDontBlitz
08-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Cosign. The "woe is us" attitude is getting a pretty bizarre.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
He hasn't beaten Favre in the previous three years, which leads me to believe he is still inferior.

What? You've got to be kidding, P.

There hasn't been an open competition at QB for decades, Partial. Jesus.

SnakeLH2006
08-03-2008, 10:53 PM

No kiddin' :shock: Hahahaha....

:beat: No way, eh? Couldn't tell which way you were swingin' CPK. Or on the Favre situation either.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 10:53 PM

We don't know that he is yet. We will soon enough (hopefully). He hasn't beaten Favre in the previous three years, which leads me to believe he is still inferior. We'll see soon enough.What BS. THere was no competition. :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Let me say this, I absolutely 100% thought the Packers should demand a Favre answer before free agency every one of those years. I said it before, I say so now. I also don't disagree with the Packers installing Rodgers as the starter. The only thing that blows my mind is the almost frantic attempts at keeping him out of camp. That's what is so damn strange to me. I really don't think he scewered the team. He obviously hates TT but he is always saying gracious things about the organization. I am not saying he should be declared the started but I don't get the unrelenting hate, thats all.

Nicely put. I agree.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
He hasn't beaten Favre in the previous three years, which leads me to believe he is still inferior.

I disagree. It may not have been a competition because it wasn't very close, but Favre has always had to perform to keep his job

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM

I disagree. It may not have been a competition because it wasn't very close, but Favre has always had to perform to keep his job

Again:

:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM

I'm not even going to try on this one.

You can't debate ignorance.

Partial
08-03-2008, 10:59 PM

I don't understand how you can say that? They brought in a first round pick to compete with him and to be a quality backup. There is no denying we have had a quality backup the past two years. You have no proof to the contrary. I don't understand how you can say there wasn't a competition. These guys are competing for their jobs day in and day out because if they slack off the next guy is going to take it over.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM

I don't understand how you can say that? They brought in a first round pick to compete with him and to be a quality backup. There is no denying we have had a quality backup the past two years. You have no proof to the contrary. I don't understand how you can say there wasn't a competition. These guys are competing for their jobs day in and day out because if they slack off the next guy is going to take it over.

:bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
ok, whatever you say. You have nothing to say to the contrary. Besides, does it really matter? Favre was the starter and consistently played well. Just because it wasn't a heated competition does not mean they weren't evaluating and comparing the two... With that said, its futile because it doesn't really matter. I just don't care enough.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Screw it, I'll bite.

1. Aaron was taken in the draft because Favre wouldn't commit for X number of years. We had to draft a successor to Favre and he fell in our lap. If Favre had said 'I'm playing 'til 08' it's likely Aaron isn't drafted.

2. There wasn't a competition. Do you think the Pack would bench a guy with 200+ consecutive starts, the man that won them a Super Bowl, for some new kid on the block.

You can't be this ignorant. There has never been a QB competition. Never.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 11:06 PM

Screw it, I'll bite.

1. Aaron was taken in the draft because Favre wouldn't commit for X number of years. We had to draft a successor to Favre and he fell in our lap. If Favre had said 'I'm playing 'til 08' it's likely Aaron isn't drafted.

2. There wasn't a competition. Do you think the Pack would bench a guy with 200+ consecutive starts, the man that won them a Super Bowl, for some new kid on the block.

You can't be this ignorant. There has never been a QB competition. Never.Obviously he can be that ignorant.

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Screw it, I'll bite.

Alright, I'll bite once more. I really just don't care though. I can't commit to 100% effort :lol:

I agree with #1. That's ok though. Can't blame anyone for that.

2. What do you mean? They were about to do that this year and currently still are. It's a business. Montana was traded so a young buck could get the start. It's not unheard of. Not the same as benching I agree.. But, if Rodgers came in and was playing better than Favre consistently, how could they not start him?!? Imagine the revolt from the players! Herm said it best with "You play to win the game", and your best players give you the best shot at that.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Screw it, I'll bite.

Alright, I'll bite once more. I really just don't care though. I can't commit to 100% effort :lol:

I agree with #1. That's ok though. Can't blame anyone for that.

2. What do you mean? They were about to do that this year and currently still are. It's a business. Montana was traded so a young buck could get the start. It's not unheard of. Not the same as benching I agree.. But, if Rodgers came in and was playing better than Favre consistently, how could they not start him?!? Imagine the revolt from the players! Herm said it best with "You play to win the game", and your best players give you the best shot at that.NOw you are changing the timeframe to suit you argument. Unbelieveable :bs2:

BallHawk
But, if Rodgers came in and was playing better than Favre consistently, how could they not start him?!?

Because Brett Favre is....uh....Brett Favre. You can't bench a legend under normal circumstances.

FritzDontBlitz

You could say that about the entire team...since none of them showed up in that Giants game. That loss was hardly on Favre alone...the blame can be shared by every person in that locker room, players and coaches alike.

I disagree. The team is not looking to get younger...they were the youngest team in the league last season, and looked like it in big games against Dallas, Chicago, and New York. This team doesn't need to gain more youth...it needs to gain more experience.

You don't know the whole story any more than the rest of us. The truth is very likely somewhere between Favre's side and management's side. Favre has given every ounce of himself on and off the field for this organization for 15+ years. I think he has earned the chance to apologize and make it right.

Complete speculation. How the hell do you know Favre's motives? Favre wants to play because he feels he can still play at a high level and help the team. Maybe he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to play for the Packers. Thought of that?

Maybe. With a competition in camp, we'll see who the better QB is. I'm putting my money on Favre...because experience is a trump card when playing QB in the NFL.

Damn. Very good points.

I would like to add three things:

1. A lot of the late season decline in Brett's game can be attributed to arm fatigue after having to handle so much of the offensive load early in the season when they had no running game whatsoever.

2. I am still not convinced M3 has adapted his offensive philosophy to cold Midwestern weather. He needs to start utilizing more short passes to the tight end to compensate for games with windy conditions like the Chicago disaster. M3 also needs to utilize some form of smash mouth running game to control the clock and give his team a psychological edge when they have the lead late in cold weather games.

3. We could just as easily blame the NFC Championship loss on Al Harris and a defensive coordinator too stubborn to give him help over the top when Plaxico Burruss was obviously dominating him.

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:15 PM
But, if Rodgers came in and was playing better than Favre consistently, how could they not start him?!?

Because Brett Favre is....uh....Brett Favre. You can't bench a legend under normal circumstances.

Then why can you trade one away like Montana?!? What about Johnny U?? Jerry Rice getting cut?? It happens.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Then why can you trade one away like Montana?!? What about Johnny U?? Jerry Rice getting cut?? It happens.

Partial, you don't know what you're talking about.

Montana got hurt in the playoffs and missed the large part of 2 straight seasons. When Montana got healthy Steve had already filled his shoes and taken the job...... Montana's situation isn't even applicable.

Johnny U's career was coming to an end when he was traded. He just simply wasn't good enough. Favre is good enough to start at QB for most teams. Johnny was traded to SD and played poorly and then retired.

Jerry Rice was released because of salary cap issues.

Game. Set. Match.

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
It just goes to show that legends aren't bullet proof. It's ignorant to say they weren't competing, even if the competition wasn't close. If Rodgers was better and gave the team a better shot to win, they'd have started him. How you can even dispute that is whack imo.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
It just goes to show that legends aren't bullet proof. It's ignorant to say they weren't competing, even if the competition wasn't close. If Rodgers was better and gave the team a better shot to win, they'd have started him. How you can even dispute that is whack imo.

Rodgers was brought in as a successor, not competition.

P, you'll find most people will agree that there was never a competition.

BobDobbs
08-04-2008, 08:23 AM
This is a very interesting situation. Whether the Packers want to have a competition or create trade value, they have to play Favre in the pre-season. What I am happiest about is that now that Brett is back on the roster the whole debacle in no longer in TT's hands, or Bus Cook's, or Ari Fleischer's. McCarthy comes to the forefront and I think because of that things will become much more straightforward.

I will be interested to see what form the competition takes. Will it be like our left guard competition. Or will Favre be working with the 2nd string and have to earn the right to get reps with the first teamers?

My dream scenario is that both Favre and Rodgers pick up their intensity and raise their level of play because of this. That the team buys into the understanding that no matter who you are you need to produce in workouts, meetings, and games in order to start. The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary, right? And of course no more whining to the media. Keep it in house for once I can watch Univision for soap operas not ESPN.

I think it is going to make the preseason games really exciting. I was already excited to have tickets to the Aug 16th game, but now it might be something really special.

By the way, the team can in fact afford to pay Brett 12 million to be a backup in the event he loses his bid to start. We don't need the cap space until next year when we need to start signing guys before they hit free agency. I have no idea if Favre's ego could accept this, but it could actually work.

Sparkey
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM

They are replaceable, the most skilled employee is not.

Everyone is replaceable at some point. Ask my first wife :lol:

Seriously, Rodgers is still #1 on the depth chart because he worked in the OTA's and off-season program after FAVRE RETIRED. Now that Favre is back I would imagine the competition is like most. Rodgers gets 60% of the reps with the 1st team, Favre will get 30% and Brohm/Flynn divy up the rest.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
What I am happiest about is that now that Brett is back on the roster the whole debacle in no longer in TT's hands, or Bus Cook's, or Ari Fleischer's. McCarthy comes to the forefront and I think because of that things will become much more straightforward. .

McCarthy has AWAYS been the one at the forefront. He is the one closest to the personalities on the team, he knows what is and isn't going to work.