PDA

View Full Version : Packers release long snapper Gafford

Brando19
08-03-2008, 04:48 PM
The Packers cleared a roster spot for newly signed running back Ryan Grant by making a somewhat surprising move: releasing long snapper Thomas Gafford.

That leaves only one snapper, J.J. Jansen, on the roster, but doesn't mean Jansen has won the job. Though the rookie from Notre Dame has appeared to have a slight edge throughout offseason practices, it's possible the Packers would re-sign Gafford if Jansen struggles in the preseason.

Gafford also was released by the Packers in 2006 and was out of football the past seasons. He re-signed with the Packers in March, days before veteran snapper Rob Davis announced his retirement.

The Packers only are carrying one kicker and one punter in training camp, too, so from a numbers perspective, this was a logical move. They will have to make another roster move by noon Monday, when Brett Favre is scheduled to be reinstated to the active roster.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

boiga
08-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Odd choice...

I suppose they figured that Jansen has a longer contract, is good enough, and the competition wasn't worthwhile enough to justify two roster spots on the Long Snapper position.

Well, Gafford only has Favre to blame.

motife
08-03-2008, 05:22 PM
some notes on TC so far from :

http://www.packerupdate.com/

LB Brandon Chillar has been a disappointment. Desmond Bishop and Abdul Hodge are the 4th and 5th best LB's GB has.

WR Ruvell Martin is a lock for the final 53.

TE Jermichael Finley is coming on.

RB Vernon Morency looks much quicker than last year.

Tony Moll and Breno Giacomini don't look to make the team. Josh Sitton looks to be the 6th best lineman on the Pack.

Cullen Jenkins is healed, but is not near the force he was early last year.

Michael Montgomery is solid at end, but without much of a pass rush. Could replace Jenkins at end so Jenkins could play inside with a dearth of DT's.

Jason Hunter has been more consistent than Jeremy Thompson at DE.

Daniel Muir and Alfred Malone have been playing well at DT.

The Packers better hope Tramon Williams comes back soon because Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush and Patrick Lee are very mediocre. Undrafted rookie Condrew Allen looks as good as 2nd rounder Lee.

Saftey looks deep with Bigby, Collins and Rouse. Even Peprah and Culver are making plays.

Patler
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised they would make the decision without seeing the two perform in games.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm surprised they would make the decision without seeing the two perform in games.I don't think long snapping changes that much from practive to game other than pressure.

Patler
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm surprised they would make the decision without seeing the two perform in games.I don't think long snapping changes that much from practive to game other than pressure.

Well, the one thing the coaches mentioned was that the rush schemes in the NFL a very different than college, and the jury was out on Jansen until he saw them in real games. At least Gafford had some experience.

cpk1994
08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Well, the one thing the coaches mentioned was that the rush schemes in the NFL a very different than college, and the jury was out on Jansen until he saw them in real games. At least Gafford had some experience.

Point taken.

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM

You're forgetting about 40 times too, as having a slight edge here gets water to the vets, just a tad faster. :lol: