PDA

View Full Version : Ted "the Snake" Thompson

SkinBasket
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Well.

It's almost like Ted's caved into the overwhelming power of the demands made by internet posters here. Grant's signed a contract. Brett's in town, signs indicate he'll be our QB this year.

A couple of days ago, the Green bay Packers were an embarrassment, a joke, a franchise on the brink of utter destruction. Ted Thompson was a snake. A liar. A fool. A fucking moron. Disgusting.

Just wondering where all the Chicken Littles have gone.

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I still think TT is a snake if thats what youre looking for... the guy is a weasel

gex
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't think I ever bashed tt, just defended Favre.
(well I never capitalize tt's initials, but thats it)

Packgator
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
TT is one of the very best GM's in football. Happy to have him......and glad he works for the Packers.

Stevogbfan
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
TT is one of the very best GM's in football. Happy to have him......and glad he works for the Packers.

same here, some of these guys just like to post dumb stuff to make it look like they know something

Pacopete4
08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I think TT has done an above average as a GM... we'll see how it goes from here

Fritz
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Well.

It's almost like Ted's caved into the overwhelming power of the demands made by internet posters here. Grant's signed a contract. Brett's in town, signs indicate he'll be our QB this year.

A couple of days ago, the Green bay Packers were an embarrassment, a joke, a franchise on the brink of utter destruction. Ted Thompson was a snake. A liar. A fool. A fucking moron. Disgusting.

What signs? What info do you have, Skin?

The Shadow
08-03-2008, 09:58 PM

He is, far and away, the main reason the team is a contender.

Freak Out
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Partial hasn't logged on yet? :lol:

TT didn't cave on anything as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is set in stone with Favre even staying a Packer for much longer let alone being the starter. The Grant signing looks like a good deal for both player and team.

imscott72
08-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Absolfuckinglutely..Anyone want Shermy back?

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Partial hasn't logged on yet? :lol:

TT didn't cave on anything as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is set in stone with Favre even staying a Packer for much longer let alone being the starter. The Grant signing looks like a good deal for both player and team.

Pro-Favreites are jumping for joy. Whether they actually believe there will be a fair, open competition, I can't say. I'm not saying there won't be, but Aaron Rodgers will still, most likely, be the starting QB on opening night.

rbaloha1
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, I thoroughly disapprove of TT's handling of BF. However for those always bashing TT's ego at least there is now open competition.

Which ever qb wins lets offer unconditional loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. Lets not forget the team assembled by management -- young, talented and signed. The Packers are positioned to be a continual super bowl contender as long as TT and MM coexsist.

Hopefully the drama is over.

arcilite
08-03-2008, 10:05 PM

He is, far and away, the main reason the team is a contender.

wut

then who is

pbmax
08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
He has rebuilt the roster well. It is younger, cheaper and more talented. It remains to be seen if he can pick up enough of the Pro Bowl players to keep the franchise elite.

Having Favre back may help this year, it will not help long term. And given the uncertainty that will follow next year and possibly the year after that, it will slow down the process of finding the next viable QB.

I don't think Favre is good enough any longer to get us through the playoffs and win a SB. But this team is talented enough and improving enough to have a window of time. He would be better served on another team, as they are headed in opposite directions. Tampa would be a good choice.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Ah, the Internet: Where you have to be totally for or against someone, and the first time you say something against someone, that means you're totally against someone.

It's sad that my only options are TT is a "total idiot" or a "total fucking idiot." It's like I had just posted yesterday in a Grant thread that I liked a lot of things about him. Well, let me flesh it out, even when some issues are contradictory:

What I like about Ted Thompson
•He's put on the pads himself. That goes very well with me. He knows what it's like to be in a lockerroom, to put in a full season, and to go out not on your own terms.
•He is a great talent evaluator. I mean, big-dollar guys, small-dollar guys, he really can pick good players. When the other teams were signing Free Agents in 2006, I thought we were spending high and late in getting Charles Woodson. Darn if all the other free agents aren't even in the league anymore. So many of our great players were unknowns. He even got us a really good "who?" head coach. I believe Ted Thompson is the reason for us being a legitimate long-term contender.
•He got us under the cap and keeps us under the cap. We spend prudently and don't get locked into backloaded deals. I assume he'll deal well as the cap changes in the coming years.
•He trades down, not up. One name, two initials: BJ Sander.
•He keeps a low profile and doesn't lead with the prevailing opinion. We cut Cletidus Hunt and ate a lot of lost salary. He was willing to go with Rogers (up until tonight) when Favre was healthy. He'll put his keister on the line for what he thinks is best for the Packers, and he's been right more than wrong.
•He likes to keep his team together. Priority is keeping who we've got and then adding. I think there's something to be said for chemistry, especially in the offensive line and defensive backfield.

What I don't like about Ted Thompson
•He starts low. I think he lowballed Ryan Grant far below what he should. I was taught a firm negotiating style that seeks the best for both parties (win-win), rather than just keeping everything on the table. Ultimately, the Grant deal gave him what he needed while preserving our interests and financial flexibility. If only that were tried two weeks (or three months) ago.
•He doesn't reconsider a decision quickly. It's the negative aspect of one of his positives. I get the feeling that TT and Mark Murphy (can't we get a president who has different initals than our head coach?) wanted Favre retired and made everything happen to ensure his retirement (like the fast press conference and MNF jersey ceremony). He has the responsibility to make the best teams in 2008 and beyond, but the how was worse than the what in this case. I wouldn't want to have to deal with Retired Brett, either.
•He's spontaneous with his extensions. We like that guys who perform well get good deals. I think it also quells lockerroom unrest to see guys get paid more. But if I were an agent, I wouldn't count on my players to stay mum and receive good deals, not in a league that pays week-to-week. Too many other teams have gone back on renegotiation promises for me to believe in the Extension Fairy who visits all good little players and leaves three extra years under their pillows.
•He's impossible to read. Ultimately, it's probably a good thing. But when we want to know about the state of the team, we're not going to get anything intentional or slipped from TT. It probably hurt his relationship with Brett that he never explained his motives in player aquisition. I don't think that will ever affect his sleep at night.
•He doesn't get many high-profile players I don't think it's because he doesn't try, but for whatever reason, he gets a lot of above-average guys, rather than excellent risks. Still, I'm not complaining with what he's gotten.

So, there. I am glad TT is our GM. I think he's excellent at making good teams and providing them with what they need to stay good. I didn't like how he handled Grant, but he redeemed himself well with a good deal that satisfied all parties' needs. I don't like how he handled Favre's retirement, but I don't think there was ever any responsibility to massage Brett's feelings.

Ultimately, the GM is not the Packers. He's an employee, just like a long snapper. He's a caretaker. He answers to the president, who answers to the shareholders. As long as he does more good than harm, he should be retained. However, there should be a distinction between the Office of the General Manager and the institution that is the Green Bay Packers.[/b]

gex
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Ah, the Internet: Where you have to be totally for or against someone, and the first time you say something against someone, that means you're totally against someone.

It's sad that my only options are TT is a "total idiot" or a "total fucking idiot." It's like I had just posted yesterday in a Grant thread that I liked a lot of things about him. Well, let me flesh it out, even when some issues are contradictory:

•He's put on the pads himself. That goes very well with me. He knows what it's like to be in a lockerroom, to put in a full season, and to go out not on your own terms.
•He is a great talent evaluator. I mean, big-dollar guys, small-dollar guys, he really can pick good players. When the other teams were signing Free Agents in 2006, I thought we were spending high and late in getting Charles Woodson. Darn if all the other free agents aren't even in the league anymore. So many of our great players were unknowns. He even got us a really good "who?" head coach. I believe Ted Thompson is the reason for us being a legitimate long-term contender.
•He got us under the cap and keeps us under the cap. We spend prudently and don't get locked into backloaded deals. I assume he'll deal well as the cap changes in the coming years.
•He keeps a low profile and doesn't lead with the prevailing opinion. We cut Cletidus Hunt and ate a lot of lost salary. He was willing to go with Rogers (up until tonight) when Favre was healthy. He'll put his keister on the line for what he thinks is best for the Packers, and he's been right more than wrong.
•He likes to keep his team together. Priority is keeping who we've got and then adding. I think there's something to be said for chemistry, especially in the offensive line and defensive backfield.

•He starts low. I think he lowballed Ryan Grant far below what he should. I was taught a firm negotiating style that seeks the best for both parties (win-win), rather than just keeping everything on the table. Ultimately, the Grant deal gave him what he needed while preserving our interests and financial flexibility. If only that were tried two weeks (or three months) ago.
•He doesn't reconsider a decision quickly. It's the negative aspect of one of his positives. I get the feeling that TT and Mark Murphy (can't we get a president who has different initals than our head coach?) wanted Favre retired and made everything happen to ensure his retirement (like the fast press conference and MNF jersey ceremony). He has the responsibility to make the best teams in 2008 and beyond, but the how was worse than the what in this case. I wouldn't want to have to deal with Retired Brett, either.
•He's spontaneous with his extensions. We like that guys who perform well get good deals. I think it also quells lockerroom unrest to see guys get paid more. But if I were an agent, I wouldn't count on my players to stay mum and receive good deals, not in a league that pays week-to-week. Too many other teams have gone back on renegotiation promises for me to believe in the Extension Fairy who visits all good little players and leaves three extra years under their pillows.
•He's impossible to read. Ultimately, it's probably a good thing. But when we want to know about the state of the team, we're not going to get anything intentional or slipped from TT. It probably hurt his relationship with Brett that he never explained his motives in player aquisition. I don't think that will ever affect his sleep at night.
•He doesn't get many high-profile players I don't think it's because he doesn't try, but for whatever reason, he gets a lot of above-average guys, rather than excellent risks. Still, I'm not complaining with what he's gotten.

So, there. I am glad TT is our GM. I think he's excellent at making good teams and providing them with what they need to stay good. I didn't like how he handled Grant, but he redeemed himself well with a good deal that satisfied all parties' needs. I don't like how he handled Favre's retirement, but I don't think there was ever any responsibility to massage Brett's feelings.

Ultimately, the GM is not the Packers. He's an employee, just like a long snapper. He's a caretaker. He answers to the president, who answers to the shareholders. As long as he does more good than harm, he should be retained. However, there should be a distinction between the Office of the General Manager and the institution that is the Green Bay Packers.[/b]

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

The Shadow
08-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Ultimately, the GM is not the Packers. He's an employee, just like a long snapper. He's a caretaker.

You hang around long enough, you read things you really can't believe.

Partial
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM
The sidewinder appears to feeling the pressure from management or something. His change of attitude is shocking to say the least.

The Shadow
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
People certainly have forgotten the team Thompson inherited from the bungling Sherman.
We now have a team we can be proud of - and for that, we can thank Ted.
Players come & go - but a great GM is priceless.

MJZiggy
08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
TT hasn't had a change in attitude Mark Murphy made a carefully crafted speech that spoke for a while and did little more than confused everyone and left itself open to interpretation 20 ways from Sunday.

Freak Out
08-03-2008, 11:05 PM
People certainly have forgotten the team Thompson inherited from the bungling Sherman.

Lets not get carried away here. Great GM......not just yet but the future looks bright with TT and M3.

gex
08-03-2008, 11:31 PM

tt couldn't hold Ron Wolfs jock, NOW there was a great gm.

arcilite
08-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Ron wolf only won 1 superbowl.

So once TT wins one...can we start calling him great?

BallHawk
08-04-2008, 12:12 AM

Ted is on pace to become a better drafter than Wolf (Wolf was never a FANTASTIC drafter).

Ron Wolf was a great GM whose career was made by two players. TT strikes gold, maybe not 24 Karat gold like Wolf, but he strikes a lot of it.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 12:22 AM

TT was involved in what wolf did. wolf recommended TT. Wolf had the benefit of being able to sign whoever he wanted in the early ages of FA, including the greatest DE to ever lineup.

Wolf was great, before its over I truly believe TT will be better, and I really hope I'm right.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2008, 05:59 AM

Great points, all. I do think that TT tries to do things his way, but at least he isn't so stubborn and inflexible that he would disregard the big picture in favor of his own wishes. You know it's not just him making the decision. I'm sure others have input. Just because he wants something to go a certain way, doesn't mean he won't "cave" if he sees the writing on the wall. Besides, according to reports, he started the off-season wanting #4 back. Thank goodness he's not so pig-headedly stubborn that he would do anything to have his way. So, if he "caved", he could cave for a lot worse things than the chance to have Brett back. Besides, perhaps he's crazy like a fox in that he was willing to have a little drama/saga take place instead of rushing out to trade Favre, really testing Brett's resolve to come back and showing Rodgers confidence, but when Brett finally decided, saying, "well Aaron, what choice did I have?" When you win a Super Bowl and 3 MVP's and become the face of a franchise, you can call your shots a bit more too. That said, he could be traded soon. Please God, not to the Vikes (no offense Rastak).

SkinBasket
08-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Well.

I think the statements by the team that they are now reconsidering their long term plans, making changes, and reorienting the team point strongly to Brett spending the season in GB, and not as a back-up.

Just my take. I know it could all just be empty talk, but that's how I'm taking it right now.

For the record, I was happier when the team was on the brink of doom and a disgusting laughingstock of the league. Bringing Favre in and having an "open competition" for the QB position is very dangerous to the long term outlook of this team and maybe even the short term as well. The only way Favre playing this year ends well is a SB win. Anything else will be considered wasted time for everyone else on the team.

I was hoping that all the naysayers would have learned a lesson in patience by now, but I know that's actually too much to hope for.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 08:07 AM
People certainly have forgotten the team Thompson inherited from the bungling Sherman. We now have a team we can be proud of - and for that, we can thank Ted.

People certainly have forgotten the team Favre inherited from the bungling era from 1970-1991.

We now have a team we can be proud of - and for that, we can thank Brett Favre.

Coaches and GMs come and go (and have during Favre's tenure) but a legendary QB is priceless.

The Shadow
08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
People certainly have forgotten the team Thompson inherited from the bungling Sherman. We now have a team we can be proud of - and for that, we can thank Ted.

People certainly have forgotten the team Favre inherited from the bungling era from 1970-1991.

Coaches and GMs come and go (and have during Favre's tenure) but a legendary QB is priceless.

Sometimes ys just gotta scratch your head.......

Pugger
08-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't have much of a problem with TT and how he is handling/managing our Pack. TT can be impassive and hard to read but he has assembled an interesting group of fellas and this should be a fun season! I think a lot of folks find TT cold and robotic in front of the cameras and assume he is a dope. But I really don't give a rat's tail if he is not the greatest guy in press conferences. What's important is how the team performs on the field. He has turned the team around and we were just a few plays away from the Super Bowl in January even when the team didn't play its best game. Let's see how he does in the next couple of years before we throw him under the bus... :roll:

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
so far I've been "ok" with him as a GM but I also have thought he's missed the boat a few times on making this team better.. sooner or later only drafting players will hurt us... I also think I will lose the utmost respect for TT if Favre is dealt to the Vikings, or any other team for that matter. Whether Favre has handled this retirement soap opera well or not does not matter to me at this moment.. he's here to play football and thats what he should be allowed to do... whether its competition or giving him his job back. The man is too damn good at what he does and he's been so good to us to just throw away because of a bad decision on his part. The next week will tell me a lot about TT as GM....

cpk1994
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Coaches and GMs come and go (and have during Favre's tenure) but a legendary QB is priceless.Not this bullshit again. Get off Brett's jock for once in your life. Its getting old.

swede
08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I appreciated NewsBruin's balanced assessment of TT.

I have been quite critical of Favre as the instigator and creator of this complete farce of an offseason, and I stand by that.

And I have understood the team's position and supported management throughout this mess...up until the shuttle diplomacy crap and 20 million dollar bribe sh!t started.

In retrospect, I am starting to see how the team should have anticipated Favre's shenanigans and handled them better.

Again, in hindsight, along about the time the team made a tampering complaint against Minnesota they should have gotten Brett, Bus Cook, MM, TT and MRF into a small room with a big table and given Favre his starting job back along with a committment to play out his goddam contract.

They were all closer to the situation and should have realized that no one was gonna give them a 2nd round pick for a 38 year-old qb and the 38 year baby wasn't gonna leave without his bottle.

That said, I hope like hell Brett can finally show some locker room leadership that doesn't involve snapping towels and get this team what he wants.

Welcome back, Brett, ya goof.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Again, in hindsight, along about the time the team made a tampering complaint against Minnesota they should have gotten Brett, Bus Cook, MM, TT and MRF into a small room with a big table and given Favre his starting job back along with a committment to play out his goddam contract.

It's very likely that Brett wouldn't give them a commitment to play for two more years. He doesn't really have to. Once he made his commitment to retire (or whether he came back this year), I wish he would have stood by it.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM

So you aren't proud of the Packers?

The Shadow
08-04-2008, 11:46 AM

So you aren't proud of the Packers?

Packers - always.
Just embarrassed for Favre.

ND72
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Well.

all of those bringbrettback.com signs they pass out at camp(and I use to put my lawn-mower on).

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Forget it...not worth it.

The Shadow
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Forget it...not worth it.

My apologies.
I thought you were actually saying Packer recent success was due more to Brett Favre than Ted Thompson.
In retrospect, that would be too farfetched to be believed.
I will try to read future posts more closely.

Fritz
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Well.

I think the statements by the team that they are now reconsidering their long term plans, making changes, and reorienting the team point strongly to Brett spending the season in GB, and not as a back-up.

Just my take. I know it could all just be empty talk, but that's how I'm taking it right now.

For the record, I was happier when the team was on the brink of doom and a disgusting laughingstock of the league. Bringing Favre in and having an "open competition" for the QB position is very dangerous to the long term outlook of this team and maybe even the short term as well. The only way Favre playing this year ends well is a SB win. Anything else will be considered wasted time for everyone else on the team.

I was hoping that all the naysayers would have learned a lesson in patience by now, but I know that's actually too much to hope for.

Thanks, Skin. I agree with the above italicized statement. If Brett Favre is the starting QB for Green Bay at the beginning of the season with a healthy Rodgers behind him, that'll be the beginning of the end of the MM era, and possibly TT's as well.

As I've said before, why should any veteran player worth his salt come to an offseason program any more? If they let Favre waltz back in after thumbing his nose at the entire organziation - more than once, I might add - Mm will have lost every single shred of credibility he has.

Favre may have been largely responsible for the success this team has had over the years, but now it appears he may be responsible (along with MM and TT) for the dismantling of this regime.

cpk1994
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Well.

Thanks, Skin. I agree with the above italicized statement. If Brett Favre is the starting QB for Green Bay at the beginning of the season with a healthy Rodgers behind him, that'll be the beginning of the end of the MM era, and possibly TT's as well.

As I've said before, why should any veteran player worth his salt come to an offseason program any more? If they let Favre waltz back in after thumbing his nose at the entire organziation - more than once, I might add - Mm will have lost every single shred of credibility he has.

Favre may have been largely responsible for the success this team has had over the years, but now it appears he may be responsible (along with MM and TT) for the dismantling of this regime.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

M3 and TT are nothing but used car salesman.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 12:51 PM

ya, but your solution of adding FAvre to the team and announcing that he is stuck in the backup job is even more destructive. ITs easy to say, hard to do.

The Packers are stuck between rock and hard place. Favre has behaved in a very sleazy way, I've lost respect for him, but he has some bargaining position.

Just have to see how it plays out.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
My apologies.

I thought you were actually saying Packer recent success was due more to Brett Favre than Ted Thompson.

I was more or less just being sarcastic and pointing out you can say the exact same thing in favor of Favre in terms of the turnaround the team has made in terms of success on the field since his arrival...compared to the 2+ decades of failure before that.

The recent success isn't due entirely to Thompson or Favre. Without Favre, I seriously doubt this extremely young team would've been 13-3 and a title contender last year. Without Thompson, who knows where we'd be in terms of team depth and talent.

I tend to appreciate the accomplishments of both, unlike some.

cpk1994
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM

ya, but your solution of adding FAvre to the team and announcing that he is stuck in the backup job is even more destructive. ITs easy to say, hard to do.

The Packers are stuck between rock and hard place. Favre has behaved in a very sleazy way, I've lost respect for him, but he has some bargaining position.

Just have to see how it plays out.It isn't destructive. Its more destructive to let Favre be the starter cause when Favre does leave the PAckers will have NO QB. Mike McCarthy preached team committment, a standard I have defended and admired. Sadly that was all bullshit and McCarthy is nothing more than a gutless yellow spineless weasel.