PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Controversey.

Lurker64
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Note that I am not asking what should happen based on your estimation of what happens in preseason play and training camp. I am assuming that McCarthy will make his decision based on a number of reasonable factors and he is not out to "screw" anybody. Mike McCarthy both knows more about football and this team than we or the media know, and he also sees much more during practice and during games than we or any of the media see. So even if we disagree with his eventual decision based on what we see, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he sees more than we do.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
How come Ras gets his own poll option?

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
None of the above.

I want the best QB on the roster starting. Personally, I think Favre is probably still the better QB...although time will tell. At this point, it is too early for me to really say either way. I'm unsure of both guys...Rodgers remains inexperienced, and Favre is likely going to be rusty.

pbmax
08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Well well, I keep reading about how many Favre haters we have, but it looks like Rodgers haters (or M3/T2 haters) are in the lead 2-0.

gex
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
The Favrehaters are a very small but very vocal group. The majoriy of packer nation want the living legend back.

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm one of the biggest A-Rod supporters on here, but I'd still root for Favre if he was the QB, simply because he would be the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Packers > Any one player

Lurker64
08-03-2008, 11:08 PM
None of the above.

I want the best QB on the roster starting. Personally, I think Favre is probably still the better QB...although time will tell. At this point, it is too early for me to really say either way. I'm unsure of both guys...Rodgers remains inexperienced, and Favre is likely going to be rusty.

Wouldn't it be accurate to put you in the "not leaning either way, but would support whoever the coaches put out there" bin? That is, if we assume that the coaches make an intelligent choice.

The Leaper
08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Wouldn't it be accurate to put you in the "not leaning either way, but would support whoever the coaches put out there" bin? That is, if we assume that the coaches make an intelligent choice.

I'm still not convinced there will be a true competition. If there is, I would expect McCarthy to go with the best player. McCarthy knows his stuff.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Another question: how well does Favre have to play and how far does the team have to go for everybody to look back and say this was a good thing?

Would it be okay to stunt Rodgers' development (and possibly lose him after next year) for Favre playing decently and the team gets a Wild Card? Obviously, if Brett is average or below and the team doesn't make the playoffs, this is a lose-lose situation.

I won't say Brett has to play as well as last year (that was one of his five best years), but he has to be pretty damn close. Also, I think nothing short of a division title will make this worth it. At that point, hopefully the Packers could avoid another playoff meltdown.

Rastak
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
How come Ras gets his own poll option?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And guess how I voted!!!

LL2
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Seems like many are voting for the Rodgers or who M3 decides to start pick.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Would it be okay to stunt Rodgers' development (and possibly lose him after next year) for Favre playing decently and the team gets a Wild Card? Obviously, if Brett is average or below and the team doesn't make the playoffs, this is a lose-lose situation.

I think you have to measure more than just Rodgers' development.

What about the development of guys like Jennings, Jones, Lee or Grant? You don't think those guys took huge steps forward in recent years BECAUSE of the presence of an experienced guy like Favre?

Might there be similar development with Jackson, Nelson and Finley if Favre sticks around another year...development that might be slowed considerably if Rodgers was cutting his teeth in the role as starter?

Favre HELPS the young kids. Rodgers won't help nearly as much as a first time starter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
What about the development of guys like Jennings, Jones, Lee or Grant? You don't think those guys took huge steps forward in recent years BECAUSE of the presence of an experienced guy like Favre?

Might there be similar development with Jackson, Nelson and Finley if Favre sticks around another year...development that might be slowed considerably if Rodgers was cutting his teeth in the role as starter?

Favre HELPS the young kids. Rodgers won't help nearly as much as a first time starter.

Other than the timing with his receivers, he doesn't do that much to help the kids. And by him playing it's actually hurting their timing with Rodgers for down the line. Less reps with the guy that is the future at QB. It's not like he was out working with James Jones and the other receivers all offseason (like ARod did). Favre's not much of a mentor, and he even admits that. Rodgers supposedly know this offense quite well. I don't buy it.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Favre does not mentor the young players on this team. He didn't even want to mentor Rodgers for quite awhile. He doesn't hang out with the guys off the field. He doesn't try to be a part of the team, at least not in the entire meaning of the word team. He just wants to do his job and go home.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Favre does not mentor the young players on this team. He didn't even want to mentor Rodgers for quite awhile. He doesn't hang out with the guys off the field. He doesn't try to be a part of the team, at least not in the entire meaning of the word team. He just wants to do his job and go home.

He doesn't mentor them...I agree on that.

However, he is incredibly efficent at what he does because of his experience...and that helps the young kids learn what they are supposed to be doing in meetings and practice.

He also understands what the defense will be trying to accomplish...and his interaction with coaches also helps younger players get a feel for what they need to look for and how they should react to it.

There has to be SOME kind of impact there. Maybe I'm overstating it.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM

I don't know if I believe this one too much... I agree, he said fuck it to Rodgers just like I would've.. he owes the backup QB nothing... he wasn't mentoring Pederson and nothing was made of that? how come?.... But I think he's helped out the WR's a lot and I even saw clips of him helping out the high school kids on running their routes correctly and all that shit.. so I really doubt he doesn't put his time in with his teammates on the fielf... off the field may be different but who cares?... the man doesnt wanna party and drink anymore, good for him

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM

I don't know if I believe this one too much... I agree, he said fuck it to Rodgers just like I would've.. he owes the backup QB nothing... he wasn't mentoring Pederson and nothing was made of that? how come?.... But I think he's helped out the WR's a lot and I even saw clips of him helping out the high school kids on running their routes correctly and all that shit.. so I really doubt he doesn't put his time in with his teammates on the fielf... off the field may be different but who cares?... the man doesnt wanna party and drink anymore, good for him

Well for cying out loud he at least could share the same locker room, eat at the same restaurants, attend the same minicamps, etc. as the rest of the team. That would show me he at least wants to be a part of that team, much less be the leader of it. As experienced as he is, he still now appears to be playing for himself. That's not a quality I'd expect our leader to have, and certainly isn't a quality you'd expect a mentor to have.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Well for cying out loud he at least could share the same locker room, eat at the same restaurants, attend the same minicamps, etc. as the rest of the team. That would show me he at least wants to be a part of that team, much less be the leader of it. As experienced as he is, he still now appears to be playing for himself. That's not a quality I'd expect our leader to have, and certainly isn't a quality you'd expect a mentor to have.

He has a seperate locker room for the team so its not such a distraction when the media comes in.. sick of hearing about the locker...

can you tell me any player that has ever said a bad thing about Brett Favre?... just give me one other than Mark Chumura...

Zool
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Deacon Jones

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Deacon Jones

.... redic

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, very few on the roster even know Brett Favre. Most of those who do only know him for what he does during 5 months of an NFL season. Nobody KNOWS Favre so how could they say anything bad about him? Favre is and has been so detatched from the rest of the team it's silly to even be arguing this with you.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Deacon Jones

Gale Sayers too. But he's an ex Bear so I'm sure nobody here cares, right?

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Gunakor... I am talking about people who have actually played with Favre and has shared a locker room with him... find someone who doesn't like him or thinks hes a bad leader... thats all I'm asking... if you cant just admit that the whole leadership thing is an absolute joke

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Gunakor... I am talking about people who have actually played with Favre and has shared a locker room with him... find someone who doesn't like him or thinks hes a bad leader... thats all I'm asking... if you cant just admit that the whole leadership thing is an absolute joke

Again, nobody in that locker room knows Favre well enough to pass judgement on him. He is too detatched from the younger guys. I can however tell you as a fact that a lot of the people in that locker room have been supportive of Rodgers right from the beginning because of the camaradarie Rodgers has allowed to form between them. Something Favre never allowed. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Spaulding
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I am a Packer fan, I have no particular opinion who the starting QB should be, and I will support whoever McCarthy names as starter.

May the better QB win

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM

Again, nobody in that locker room knows Favre well enough to pass judgement on him. He is too detatched from the younger guys. I can however tell you as a fact that a lot of the people in that locker room have been supportive of Rodgers right from the beginning because of the camaradarie Rodgers has allowed to form between them. Something Favre never allowed. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Hold on... you're saying that all the players from last year and in years past are gone? How about any former players that have said anything then?....

Badgerinmaine
08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm one of the biggest A-Rod supporters on here, but I'd still root for Favre if he was the QB, simply because he would be the QB of the Green Bay Packers. :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Exactly where I'm at.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Hold on... you're saying that all the players from last year and in years past are gone? How about any former players that have said anything then?....

Former players don't count. This isn't a FORMER team. This year matters way more than last year, and next year matters as much as this year. The past is the past. It is history. It is where IMO Favre belongs.

Besides, all the BS that Favre created this offseaason hadn't happened previously. You have to understand that feelings have changed drastically about Favre in the past few months. I'm sure some players' feelings have changed also. What went on this offseason was not an illustration of a team oriented guy. If players had percieved him as such in the past, thier perception of him just might have changed. I had percieved him as a team oriented guy in the past, and my feelings about that have changed. It's possible that FAVRE has changed too, or maybe even that he had duped us all along.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Former players don't count. This isn't a FORMER team. This year matters way more than last year, and next year matters as much as this year. The past is the past. It is history. It is where IMO Favre belongs.

Besides, all the BS that Favre created this offseaason hadn't happened previously. You have to understand that feelings have changed drastically about Favre in the past few months. I'm sure some players' feelings have changed also. What went on this offseason was not an illustration of a team oriented guy. If players had percieved him as such in the past, thier perception of him just might have changed. I had percieved him as a team oriented guy in the past, and my feelings about that have changed. It's possible that FAVRE has changed too, or maybe even that he had duped us all along.

Whenever you can prove this.. please do.... alright? otherwise youre throwing out there what you think instead of know....

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Whenever you can prove this.. please do.... alright? otherwise youre throwing out there what you think instead of know....

Pot calling the kettle black now is it? Isn't that what you've been doing all afternoon?

I was very careful to put the words "probably" and "percieved" and "I think" and "It might have" and "IMO" in my posts so of course it's just what I think. When I posted something as fact, it was things such as "The team has supported Rodgers from the start because of the camaradarie Rodgers has allowed between them" and if you really need me to I'll go and find proof. THAT is the truth. The thing is, I don't want to look it up when you can just as easily do that yourself. I mean, you are the one who absolutely needs proof, not me.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Pot calling the kettle black now is it? Isn't that what you've been doing all afternoon?

I was very careful to put the words "probably" and "percieved" and "I think" and "It might have" and "IMO" in my posts so of course it's just what I think. When I posted something as fact, it was things such as "The team has supported Rodgers from the start because of the camaradarie Rodgers has allowed between them" and if you really need me to I'll go and find proof. THAT is the truth. The thing is, I don't want to look it up when you can just as easily do that yourself. I mean, you are the one who absolutely needs proof, not me.

I just wanted you to try to tell me or show me that Favre is a bad teammate... we, not the players, bitch at Favre "the teammate" and I've never heard a bad thing about him from the PLAYERS

Lurker64
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I just wanted you to try to tell me or show me that Favre is a bad teammate... we, not the players, bitch at Favre "the teammate" and I've never heard a bad thing about him from the PLAYERS

Players don't usually call out other players for being a bad teammate since doing so is, well, being a bad teammate. Anybody who recognizes "being a bad teammate" as a thing bad enough to complain about likely realizes it's a thing bad enough to not do.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

We don't know. Here's how you come to a logical conclusion without hearing directly from the players mouths:

Go back to your playing days if you had any, and imagine yourself as a young player on a young football team. Your supposed "Leader" causes a huge distraction post retirement by going to the media and bashing certain members of your franchise. He has regular talks with your archrival. Even before his retirement, he never really made an effort to do any more than his job as a QB and go home, or be a part of the team in every literal definition of the word TEAM. How would you feel?

And if you've never been part of a TEAM before, then stfu because you don't know what that word means.

mmmdk
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Where's the "QB or whatever QB; it's Super Bowl or bust damnit" option?

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 05:17 PM

We don't know. Here's how you come to a logical conclusion without hearing directly from the players mouths:

Go back to your playing days if you had any, and imagine yourself as a young player on a young football team. Your supposed "Leader" causes a huge distraction post retirement by going to the media and bashing certain members of your franchise. He has regular talks with your archrival. Even before his retirement, he never really made an effort to do any more than his job as a QB and go home, or be a part of the team in every literal definition of the word TEAM. How would you feel?

And if you've never been part of a TEAM before, then stfu because you don't know what that word means.

Been apart of many teams... DD doesn't seem to have a problem with Brett Favre does he? DD is a leader on our team and he has zero problems so far with Brett and he's happy that he's back... I'll take his word, over yours, any day of the week and twice on sunday

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Been apart of many teams... DD doesn't seem to have a problem with Brett Favre does he? DD is a leader on our team and he has zero problems so far with Brett and he's happy that he's back... I'll take his word, over yours, any day of the week and twice on sunday

Okay, you must have missed where I said YOUNG player. I'm not doubting that there are 6 or 7 people on the roster that would prefer Favre over Rodgers, but that's not who I was talking about. I'm talking about the players who do not have a personal bond with Brett Favre - you know, the 1st-3rd year players that will be the core of this football team after even Donald Driver and Co. are retired. Don't bring up other 30+'s to defend your arguement that the TEAM is more for Favre. James Jones and Aaron Kampman have spoken out that they are more for Rodgers, but they must not count, do they? Although almost all the players on the roster are of the younger generation of football players, I suppose I should have known better. Sorry, next time I'll just assume that only the greybeards have opinions that matter...