PDA

View Full Version : Trade to Vikings a Possibility?

SMACKTALKIE
08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779379

BallHawk
08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I could easily see it happen....with relatively little compensation.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
My worst nightmare.

Jimx29
08-03-2008, 11:30 PM
source this, source that....... :roll:

SMACKTALKIE
08-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Crazy.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I know things change in the blink of an eye on this topic.

But I don't see them trading him. Especially not the Vikings. At least not now.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Kind of interesting. Maybe they're getting the Vikings worked up in a tizzy to get back at them for tampering.

The source said they were contacted Friday, but it seems like things have changed in the two days since. The first paragraph makes the deal seem imminent, but the rest of the article doesn't go that far.

The Green Bay Packers welcomed back quarterback Brett Favre from the reserve-retired list Sunday knowing full well that they've already taken the first step toward trading him to the Minnesota Vikings.

NewsBruin
08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Fine by me. Brett gets to start somewhere. We have a starter before his prime. We get new young, cheap talent (draft pick), and we can beat him twice a year.

Lurker64
08-04-2008, 12:01 AM
There's a good article in the Star Tribune that ran over the weekend by Patrick Reusse (one of the sports writers in this country I really respect a great deal) as to Why the Vikings Shouldn't Want Favre (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/26196989.html?location_refer=Bios).

Personally, while I'm more inclined to be a Favre apologist than Reusse (even though he argues mainly with statistics that are somewhat unarguable), I'm hoping the Vikings take his advice.

BallHawk
08-04-2008, 12:09 AM
There's a good article in the Star Tribune that ran over the weekend by Patrick Reusse (one of the sports writers in this country I really respect a great deal) as to Why the Vikings Shouldn't Want Favre (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/26196989.html?location_refer=Bios).

Personally, while I'm more inclined to be a Favre apologist than Reusse (even though he argues mainly with statistics that are somewhat unarguable), I'm hoping the Vikings take his advice.

Very solid article. There are, indeed, stats you can't argue about.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 12:11 AM

No reason to trade him for little compensation, we could hold him til the opener and cut him making him less useful to them. I would rather do that than give him up early for very little.

BallHawk
08-04-2008, 12:13 AM

No reason to trade him for little compensation, we could hold him til the opener and cut him making him less useful to them. I would rather do that than give him up early for very little.

I'd trade Favre for a 3rd. I just don't want the distractions. The team and the fans are sick of it.

Jimx29
08-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Brett didn't come to GB today to get traded or released. He came to play QB for the Packers. Period

BallHawk
08-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Brett didn't come to GB today to get traded or released. He came to play QB for the Packers. Period

And Aaron didn't come to camp to sit on the bench for another year....

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM

you know this how??

Partial
08-04-2008, 12:28 AM

But sometimes little fish in a big pond don't always get they want, now do they little dog?

oregonpackfan
08-04-2008, 12:35 AM
My worst nightmare.

Well, Harvey, we have finally found something we have in common.

If that dreaded situation happens, perhaps we could share a scream of anguish together as well. :)

Lurker64
08-04-2008, 12:37 AM

But sometimes little fish in a big pond don't always get they want, now do they little dog?

Nobody always gets what they want. That doesn't change the fact that one of Favre or Rodgers is going to end up not getting what they want here (assuming Favre is not traded or released.)

Favre has to realize that if he doesn't beat out Rodgers (a real possibility for a number of reasons), being traded or released is still a real option for him.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2008, 04:56 AM
I don't know how calculating Favre is as a person, but what about this scenario? McCarthy has said he wanted to sit down face to face with Brett to guage his interest. What if Favre acted less than enthusiastic about playing in order to sand bag Green Bay into trading him? Heck, they've already said they won't release him, and they presumably don't want him to come and be less than enthusiastic in camp. In that scenario, the only thing that could back-fire on Brett is that he wouldn't get traded to the presumed team of his choice, the Vikes.

I don't know. That would be a pretty weird way to go after all these years in Green Bay. Better the devil you know Ted. You DON'T want to be the guy who is known for trading Favre for a draft pick (or two) to the rival Vikings. Don't do it, Ted. Nothing good can come of it. Don't panic about the media frenzy. Just cave a little with McCarthy and allow one of your best players to compete for his job back. It should be about winning games.

Fritz
08-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I absol,utely disagree, Carolina. Favre in Green Bay is posion to this franchise, both short and long term.

Trade him to Minny. Trade him. Trade him.

BobDobbs
08-04-2008, 07:18 AM
It's hard to tell what the locker room fallout of all this will be. But, I just can't get past the point that a trade to Minnesota is a bad idea. It is a bad idea to address a divisional rival's biggest weakness. A division title means home field for one playoff game guaranteed.

Alot depends on how much progress T Jack has made, but by Monday it seems we will have the top two quarterbacks in the division on our roster. Maybe the top three. There is no reason to reward the incompetence of any of our divisional competitors by furnishing them a starter at QB for a mid round pick.

If Favre is indeed a poison, there are 28 other teams that are acceptable to deal him to even if we would receive lower compensation than the Vikes would offer.

Pugger
08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Interesting little article. Favre has played pretty lousy at times but I don't agree with the notion that the horrid playoff loss to Atlanta was soley on Brett. If memory serves we had a TON of injuries that year and half of his offensive playmakers were either on IR or hobbling at best. The only decent WR Brett had to throw to was DD and Donald could barely walk let alone run. I was at that game and it was such a depressing spectacle to watch. :cry:

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
If Favre is indeed a poison, there are 28 other teams that are acceptable to deal him to even if we would receive lower compensation than the Vikes would offer.

FAvre appears to be blocking trades to those 28 teams. you can't trade him without his approval, not legally, but effectively.

Patler
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM

FAvre appears to be blocking trades to those 28 teams. you can't trade him without his approval, not legally, but effectively.

I wonder if it would work something like this:

TT: "Brett, we traded you to the Dolphins."
Favre: "OK, I am re-retiring."
Goodell: "Trade is nullified due to Favre's failure to report."
Favre: "Now I'm un-retiring again. Put me on the active list."
Goodell: "Brett, go to Miami or go to hell".

Seems to me that would be satisfactory to the Packers, how ever it would turn out. If the trade is conditional, it wouldn't hurt the Dolphins.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 11:21 AM
All Favre has to do is be an unhappy camper. The new team doesn't want a circus, they won't make the trade in the first place if they don't get a positive interview with Favre. And even if against all odds a trade would go through, it could lead to Favre being released.

A trade just can't happen, except to MN, which Lord Favre has deigned worthy of his presence.

Patler
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
All Favre has to do is be an unhappy camper. The new team doesn't want a circus, they won't make the trade in the first place if they don't get a positive interview with Favre. And even if against all odds a trade would go through, it could lead to Favre being released.

A trade just can't happen, except to MN, which Lord Favre has deigned worthy of his presence.

That could happen, but as much as Favre has disappointed me, I have a real hard time seeing him being an intentional disruptive force on the practice field or in the locker room. I think he would hang them up for good at that point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM

That could happen, but as much as Favre has disappointed me, I have a real hard time seeing him being an intentional disruptive force on the practice field or in the locker room. I think he would hang them up for good at that point.

well, maybe, but it isn't going to come to that. Favre has to approve any trade.