PDA

View Full Version : He thought LAST year was too tough...

vince
08-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Wait until this year. Here are the reasons Brett Favre gave at for retiring at his original retirement presser... He'll experience all of this ten-fold this year.

But I just don't think I can give anything else, aside from the three hours on Sundays, and in football you can't do that. It's a total commitment.

I'm not up to the challenge. You can't just show up and play for three hours on Sunday. If you could, there'd be a lot more people doing it and they'd be doing it for a lot longer.

The off-season -- the minicamps, the training camp and just individually your off-season preparation -- has been difficult. As I looked at this upcoming season, I said, I probably could get myself prepared to play. That really didn't have that much of a bearing on my decision. It's tough on everybody. But it was more the in-season strain. And Mike knows this, there were numerous Saturdays (before) home games where I was here at 8:30 at night watching film. I had never done that before. It was never enough for me. And Deanna knows this, after numerous games I would come home and after a couple of hours I had the computer out and I was watching film of the upcoming opponent instead of enjoying the win we just had. At some point, you've got to relax and enjoy and I found myself not enjoying it as much. It's fun to win but you've got to enjoy it and relax a little bit. That more than anything was taking its toll on me.

I think every individual is different. I will say this, I have listened to advice in the past, directly or indirectly. People said play as long as you can - make them drag you off the field. If I play much longer, they will.

But it will be nice for awhile, I think, to feel like I don't have to live up to certain expectations, not only that other people have of me, but I have of myself. I can just kind of as they say, ride off into the sunset, whatever that means. Just try to relax for once in my life and enjoy it. And I'm going to steal a quote from Deanna, and I thought about this on the way up, 'See life through the front windshield, not through the rearview mirror.' I think that is so true, so important.

But what they don't see, that's three hours during the course of a week and I'm no different than most people. I can act the part and I know I expect a lot out of myself and certain things are expected of me within this organization and I tried to live up to those all the time. And Brett Favre got hard to live up to. And I found myself during games at times, tough situation, people always kind of made this joke or other guys on the team, even Mike at times would turn to me and say, 'All right Brett. This is where you're at your best. Pull us out.' I'm thinking, 'Uh! ... ' Now I wouldn't do that, but I'm thinking that. I'm thinking, 'Boy it sure would be nice to be up about 14 right now.' It's just hard. It got hard. I did it, but it got hard. I don't think it would get easier next year or the following year. It hasn't up to this point. It's only gotten tougher and something told me, it's gotten too hard for you. I could probably come back and do it, suck it up, but what kind of a toll would that take on me, my family or my teammates? At some point it would affect one of those, if not all of them. Maybe it has already. I don't know. I can't speak for my teammates, but maybe it's affected my play. If I even question for a second that toll that it takes has affected at least one play, then it's time to leave.

I think I made the right decision regardless of whether we were 13-3 and on the cusp of another Super Bowl. And I keep going back to, I've done everything there is to do, and then some, and then some. I would have liked to have won more Super Bowls, but you know what? I'm not disappointed about that. I gave it my all. I think people who know me know that. And I don't know if I had any more to give. There will be no what-ifs.

Now, if I had to go back with the same mentality right now that I have and start over again, I probably wouldn't make it, because I'm so much more aware of how difficult it is to win, to prepare. I'm well-aware of the expectations.

Given these statements - followed by Brett's lack of "total commitment" and the roller coaster of events that followed the whole offseason, I'd say all of these things will come on much quicker and stronger this year. Is he prepared to up the ante this year? He better be, because the pressure will be much higher than it's ever been in the past for Brett Favre.

And he says it took it's toll last year... I hope he's prepared to step it up ten-fold, because that's what it will take for him to lead the Packers this year. All signs from this offseason dictate otherwise.

Lurker64
08-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I sincerely believe that in a month of so Brett is going to very much regret not thinking this all the way through. This is essentially the classic example of Brett forcing the ball into a triple covered receiver, sometimes Brett just does things without really thinking about it beforehand, and it doesn't always work out for him.

Fritz
08-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I so agree with you Lurker. My guess is that Favre, at age 38, is not going to be able to swoop into camp a week late after no real offseason training, and play like Brett Favre. At first, he'll get all the excuses he needs - takes time, it'll come back. But then he'll get frustrated and start forcing stuff. And we know how it works when Favre forces things.

I'm really mad at him right now. If they don't trade the guy it'll be a disaster for GB this year. I think that'll be the end of Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, too. If Rodgers leaves, I hope he has a kick ass career.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm guessing if Favre does become the starter again that he won't have a very long leash. If he starts to struggle, Rodgers is going to get a chance.

Rodgers is ready...the Packers have a plan for how to use him...the team has worked on that plan for months now. McCarthy is not going to tolerate poor play from Favre. With Rodgers ready and able, he doesn't have to.

Patler
08-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I sincerely believe that in a month of so Brett is going to very much regret not thinking this all the way through. This is essentially the classic example of Brett forcing the ball into a triple covered receiver, sometimes Brett just does things without really thinking about it beforehand, and it doesn't always work out for him.

Interesting analogy.

None of us really know Favre as a person. Fans like to think they do, but the real person is often quite different than expected. I don't think any of us expected what we have seen the last month, but you draw an interesting relationship to what we have seen of Favre, the player.

Maybe his real personality is different than we have been lead to believe. Didn't Mark Chmura or another ex-player imply that at one time, that Favre was a different personality than fans are lead to believe?

K-town
08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
It's quite possible that Favre's persona is different from what he shows to the public.
On the other hand, we do know that Mark Chmura is a reprehensible jackass.