PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You THINK Will Win The Job?

Chevelle2
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I have no clue

The Packers can't go with Brett, because they don't believe he's committed.

They can't go with Rogers while Brett's still here, because you can't have a future first-ballot HOF played sitting behind your new guy.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Favre...

I honestly think if you start putting them in similar situations we will all see how much more talented Favre is compared to Arod, and thats not me sayin Arod wont be good... but Favre is just better and will more than likely always be better

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
If it is a fair competition...I have little doubt that it will be Favre.

Chevelle2
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Already making excuses are we?

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM

I think what he's talking about is what we've already discussed in the past about its going to be hard for it to be a "fair" competition in the eyes of many..

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Favre...

I honestly think if you start putting them in similar situations we will all see how much more talented Favre is compared to Arod, and thats not me sayin Arod wont be good... but Favre is just better and will more than likely always be better

Till Father Time catches up to Brett once and for all, I agree. At 38-39 he's still a helluva talent compared to all the other QB "talent" in the NFL. Kind of why he's still making 12 million this year. :?

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:03 AM

If the Packers aren't going to let Favre fairly compete for the starting position, then he certainly can't win it.

That isn't an excuse. It is a fact.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Favre...

Till Father Time catches up to Brett once and for all, I agree. At 38-39 he's still a helluva talent compared to all the other QB "talent" in the NFL. Kind of why he's still making 12 million this year. :?

thanks for expanding on what I was trying to say.. you hit it perfectly

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:06 AM
BTW...if you need further clarification about "experience" and why I think Favre won't have too much difficulty besting Rodgers, tune into the NFL Network tonight at 8pm.

McGinn said it best after watching Rodgers' performance in the scrimmage:

"Playing quarterback might be the hardest job in sports and Rodgers obviously has a long way to go before his name can be mentioned in the same breath as Brett Favre or any other effective starter in the National Football League."

The fact McCarthy called Rodgers' performance "solid" is what makes me question the "fairness" of any competition for the starter's job. Rodgers, by all accounts I've seen, blew goats.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I think McCarthy is trying to keep Rodgers from taking more heat than he already is.. I'm sure in the video room, McCarthy will be using every other word opposite of solid...

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I think McCarthy is trying to keep Rodgers from taking more heat than he already is.. I'm sure in the video room, McCarthy will be using every other word opposite of solid...

I realize that...but the performance was not solid, so McCarthy LIED.

He could avoid criticizing Rodgers without saying a shitty performance was "solid".

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Leaper... I woulda loved for him to say

"well as we all saw tonight, he's learning and he will continue to learn and get better and thats what he needs to do, get better"

Noodle
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Look, I think a number of folks on this board have been around the game enough to know that it's hard to judge a performance until you get in the film room, and this is especially true of a scrimmage, where timing and route running are often not spot on.

But to the bigger issue. Yes, I think Favre will be better right now, but I also have a feeling that if he were the undisputed starter from the get-go and allowed to make some mistakes, A-Rod would give us a better chance at the end of the season, in to the playoffs, and in to the future. I'm thinking TT and M3 think this as well.

So my money is on Favre having a good camp and TT trading him to anybody, including the Queens, who will give him value.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Look, I think a number of folks on this board have been around the game enough to know that it's hard to judge a performance until you get in the film room, and this is especially true of a scrimmage, where timing and route running are often not spot on.

Precisely.

So why did McCarthy judge the performance as "solid" then, Noodle?

RashanGary
Rodgers.

SnakeLH2006
The fact McCarthy called Rodgers' performance "solid" is what makes me question the "fairness" of any competition for the starter's job. Rodgers, by all accounts I've seen, blew goats.

:lol: That is an awesome post, dude. I have a feeling MM is still smarting over those Mariucci comments, but is also waiting to talk (yell) at Brett in a sit-down meeting before he will say anything construed as NOT positive in describing A-Rod's performance. :roll:

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:25 AM

:lol: That is an awesome post, dude. I have a feeling MM is still smarting over those Mariucci comments, but is also waiting to talk (yell) at Brett in a sit-down meeting before he will say anything construed as NOT positive in describing A-Rod's performance. :roll:

I have a feeling that When MM and Favre talk tonight, it will be all settled about what direction this is gonna go. When Favre tells him he wants to play and MM see's that... Favre will take this team back over and we will be on our way again to another exciting Packer football season

Noodle
08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Crap if I know, Leap. I didn't see the game, and followed instead on the thread here (which is a friggin' excellent way to do it). It sounded like there were some drops and some break downs in protection. Field was wet, guys were slipping. The pick was on a situation where he had to go for the end zone in the 2 minute drill.

I agree his stats sure blew, and it was 1s v. 2s, though again, that's a little deceptive, as I'd take Rouse as a 1 any day over Collins.

But honestly, I think M3 obviously knows what's up and doesn't want to fuel an already volatile situation. I'm not going to call him a liar for that.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 10:31 AM

He could avoid criticizing Rodgers without saying a shitty performance was "solid".

McCarthey never bad mouths his players publicly, even when JJ fumbled twice against Chicago, even when brett dropped one in KC's lap right before halftime MM didn't bad mouth them. Its not his style, so stop making excuses already. MM will start the guy he thinks is best, he wants to win.

Chevelle2
08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

If the Packers aren't going to let Favre fairly compete for the starting position, then he certainly can't win it.

That isn't an excuse. It is a fact.

Your assuming that they won't and so if he doesn't you will say it was unfair.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

But to the bigger issue. Yes, I think Favre will be better right now, but I also have a feeling that if he were the undisputed starter from the get-go and allowed to make some mistakes, A-Rod would give us a better chance at the end of the season, in to the playoffs, and in to the future. I'm thinking TT and M3 think this as well.

So my money is on Favre having a good camp and TT trading him to anybody, including the Queens, who will give him value.

Good post, after all, Favre has often said that about 289 recievers ran wrong routes on him during his career. But hey, we don't like guys lying around here.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Crap if I know, Leap. I didn't see the game, and followed instead on the thread here (which is a friggin' excellent way to do it). It sounded like there were some drops and some break downs in protection. Field was wet, guys were slipping. The pick was on a situation where he had to go for the end zone in the 2 minute drill.

My point is that it would be VERY EASY for McCarthy to come out and make the same claim you did, Noodle...tough to make determinations until we see the film, lots of mistakes in all areas to correct, etc, etc, etc.

Instead, McCarthy said Rodgers was "solid" by tossing for a 35% completion percentage and 4 yards per attempt. Don't give me excuses about conditions or anything else...this is the NFL, and you'll play in that stuff. You have to be able to handle adversity...last night, Rodgers failed miserably in that regard.

Sorry Noodle. McCarthy offered a flat out LIE...even if you don't have the balls to come out and say it.

FritzDontBlitz
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Agreed. That JSO article was one big denial by McCarthy. 7-20 is NOT solid, and it kinda pisses me off that he blamed A-Rod's performance on everyone BUT him. The only TD drive led by A-Rod was helped out by a 38 yard pass interference penalty on the rookie. The guy had 2nd stringers out there defending and he couldn't even repeat his performance from last year's scrimmage. I'm starting to wonder if A-Rod AND McCarthy are feeling the pressure. I'm not trying to predict an entire season based on last night's performance but its not hard to figure out why the crowd seemed uneasy throughout the entire scrimmage.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm not assuming anything. I'm pointing out the facts as I see them...and the facts right now are that McCarthy has his lips firmly planted around Rodgers' dick if he calls that performance last night "solid".

Again, I'm not saying he has to rip Rodgers a new asshole. I just don't like the game McCarthy is playing here any more than I liked some of Favre's tactics. McCarthy has always impressed me as being straightforward...but now he's bending over backwards to not just deflect blame from Rodgers, but talk the guy up like he just put on a good show?

Guess what, Mike? This is the NFL. Rodgers, if he is going to become a starting QB that is worth a damn, is going to have to endure blame and criticism. Pampering the kid isn't going to help anything.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM

My point is that it would be VERY EASY for McCarthy to come out and make the same claim you did, Noodle...tough to make determinations until we see the film, lots of mistakes in all areas to correct, etc, etc, etc.

Instead, McCarthy said Rodgers was "solid" by tossing for a 35% completion percentage and 4 yards per attempt. Don't give me excuses about conditions or anything else...this is the NFL, and you'll play in that stuff. You have to be able to handle adversity...last night, Rodgers failed miserably in that regard.

Sorry Noodle. McCarthy offered a flat out LIE...even if you don't have the balls to come out and say it.

By your definition favre was horrendous in chicago and anything but solid against the giants. He turned the ball over twice and about 40% of his yards came on one play to DD when the dback fell. Now mind you I have siad...recently even...that favre wasn't the reason we lost that game, but by your definitions in this thread....actually he was.

Spaulding
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Normally I'd say in a heartbeat it would be Favre but given the drama of the offseason and what I can't not believe will be some rust, I honestly think it's pretty much a toss up. With that being said if it is, I'm guessing Rodgers given he's potentially the future direction of the franchise at QB.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm not assuming anything. I'm pointing out the facts as I see them...and the facts right now are that McCarthy has his lips firmly planted around Rodgers' dick if he calls that performance last night "solid".

Again, I'm not saying he has to rip Rodgers a new asshole. I just don't like the game McCarthy is playing here any more than I liked some of Favre's tactics. McCarthy has always impressed me as being straightforward...but now he's bending over backwards to not just deflect blame from Rodgers, but talk the guy up like he just put on a good show?

Guess what, Mike? This is the NFL. Rodgers, if he is going to become a starting QB that is worth a damn, is going to have to endure blame and criticism. Pampering the kid isn't going to help anything.

So just as I predicted, even if MM declares rodgers the winner and his QB, you won't agree. Nor will any of the BF first fans on this forum. I said this over a week ago, and I'm saying it now....BF has created a no win circus that is not conducive to a super bowl run. That is why I didn't want him back after he missed OTA's and minis.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
By your definition favre was horrendous in chicago and anything but solid against the giants. He turned the ball over twice and about 40% of his yards came on one play to DD when the dback fell. Now mind you I have siad...recently even...that favre wasn't the reason we lost that game, but by your definitions in this thread....actually he was.

I agree with you. Where did I say that Favre was "solid" in those performances?

My point is that McCarthy is the one at fault here. What's your point?

Pacopete4

So just as I predicted, even if MM declares rodgers the winner and his QB, you won't agree. Nor will any of the BF first fans on this forum. I said this over a week ago, and I'm saying it now....BF has created a no win circus that is not conducive to a super bowl run. That is why I didn't want him back after he missed OTA's and minis.

Brett Favre playing for us is a win in my book... the guy has won more games than anyone else has ever... I dont think we're in bad hands

Noodle

No balls, you say? Well, only a cad would speak of his own undercarriage.

But perhaps I can help solve a mystery for you -- your wife didn't get those bruises on her chin and hinder palyin' dodgeball.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
So just as I predicted, even if MM declares rodgers the winner and his QB, you won't agree.

I'll agree if that is what I see on the field.

If I see that Favre isn't given a fair chance and McCarthy will go with Rodgers no matter what, then no...I won't agree.\

My point is that if McCarthy is calling Rodgers' performance last night "solid", then it would appear Favre has a snowball's chance in hell.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

But perhaps I can help solve a mystery for you -- your wife didn't get those bruises on her chin and hinder palyin' dodgeball.

hahaa that was a good one.. I dont know about your balls situation but MM did lie about how he played cuz it was anything but solid... that being said... it was only a scrimmage and these guys are working on getting their timing down.. Defenses always have the upper hand in the beginning unless its a team QB'd by Brett Favre haha 8-)

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Touche.

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM

hahaa that was a good one.. I dont know about your balls situation but MM did lie about how he played cuz it was anything but solid... that being said... it was only a scrimmage and these guys are working on getting their timing down.. Defenses always have the upper hand in the beginning unless its a team QB'd by Brett Favre haha 8-)

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779469

On this night one year ago, Favre completed 13 of 15 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown, tearing apart the No. 2 defense with ridiculous ease. :lol:

Noodle
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
It's all good, Leap.

And yes, you're right, M3 shouldn't have said anything, but I can't ring the guy up on this one given the current circus.

One other worry I got -- usually at this point, the No. 1 gets way more reps under center. If this is truly going to be a battle, then Favre and A-Rod will either be splitting those reps or cutting in to the reps the other guys get. Prolly a combination of the two. If it will be A-Rod, it does him and the team no good to be splitting his reps with Favre.

I'm hoping for a fast trade.

Tony Oday
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I think MM should just YELL at all the players that make mistakes and just blast them for every negative play there is. Screw a younger or older players confidence! Screw the team chemistry! I say every time we lose MM has a press conference BLASTING his players and his play calling....while he is at it he should yell at the fans for not cheering hard enough!

Good God does ANY coach come out and say in the PRESEASON(not even it was a practice)"Our team was terrible, our young guys suck, I wish we had all washed up Vets and I will NOT under any circumstances back up my players! They are in the NFL GROW UP!" Im sorry the coach would lose his locker room in 2 seconds...

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM

I agree with you. Where did I say that Favre was "solid" in those performances?

My point is that McCarthy is the one at fault here. What's your point?

I believe you said many times that favre didn't cost us the giants game. Since he is the guy handling the ball, that might be interpretted as he was "solid"

My point was that MM doesn't trash his guys, any of them. Not to the press anyway. He simply says things like "miscommunication" "we gotta work on that" and "I think he was solid"

My further point is this. Back when people were calling for rodgers to start due to BF tossing 29 gifts to the other team MM was defending him, saying he was solid. The favre first crowd at the time (I was defending BF then a little bit too) was busy saying things like "MM sees them both every day, you gotta trust him to start the better QB." So my point is exactly that and if he starts rodgers this year I hope people can cheer on the green and gold anyway, just as I will if he starts BF. Don't go running on about it being "his boy" or he lied, or it wasn't a fair competition.

My honest opinion is BF missed the offseason and pulled rank on MM. He won't be controllable this season and if he starts he will probably toss another 20 picks and get uhrlacher another raise. This is ugly...really ugly, and I'm surprised people actually think having BF back AT THIS POINT is a good thing.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Agreed. That JSO article was one big denial by McCarthy. 7-20 is NOT solid, and it kinda pisses me off that he blamed A-Rod's performance on everyone BUT him.

I don't see it as blaming everybody but him. I see it as a typical McCarthy "don't call out any player in public" kind of statement.

(What was your assessment of Aaron Rodgers' performance tonight?)

I thought Aaron was solid. There are some things where the production wasn't there, whether it was on the front end or the back end of the pass play. Just having the opportunity to stand back and watch the whole scrimmage for the first time, it's just like I told the team, everything that went well out there was sound fundamentally. There wasn't a lot of challenge schematically and it was by design. We are a young football team. It was important for our guys to line up and play and it was a fundamentally based scrimmage. I saw some bad fundamentals and I saw some bad technique, and that's really what I am anticipating coming out of the film study tomorrow.

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
So just as I predicted, even if MM declares rodgers the winner and his QB, you won't agree.

I'll agree if that is what I see on the field.

If I see that Favre isn't given a fair chance and McCarthy will go with Rodgers no matter what, then no...I won't agree.\

My point is that if McCarthy is calling Rodgers' performance last night "solid", then it would appear Favre has a snowball's chance in hell.

Again, your a better evaluator than MM....grats....you should be the GM I guess.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779469

On this night one year ago, Favre completed 13 of 15 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown, tearing apart the No. 2 defense with ridiculous ease. :lol:

How did Rodgers do a year ago? Look, Favre wasn't always good in these things either. He was often poor in the preseason. In fact, Rodgers has looked better than Favre in the last two preseasons. Of course, he's going 2s against 2s. We'll see how it goes from here, but I have a hard time getting on any player because of a poor practice.

Ballboy
08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
It will be interesting...given the poor job Rodgers did in the family night vs. 2nd stringers, TT and MM might want to rethink everything.

I actually had high hopes for Rodgers given all the positive things MM was saying about him.....but honestly, he looked like crap last night. Feet always moving, throws that were off target. If he has been getting most of the reps in OTAs and training camp, he should be on the same page as the receivers.

Brett wins hands down.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Camp Notes 8/2/2007

Offense, Rodgers make a good first impression
By Bob McGinn

Green Bay - The widely doubted offense of the Green Bay Packers, especially quarterback Aaron Rodgers, had every reason to leave Lambeau Field on Saturday night feeling rather bullish about itself. For one of the first times in his career, Rodgers offered some tangible evidence that he is improving and might one day be a suitable successor to Brett Favre.

With a crowd of 59,362 watching the intrasquad scrimmage on a beautiful midsummer night, Rodgers completed 12 of 21 passes for 138 yards [directing the No. 2 offense against the No. 1 defense].

bobblehead
08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
It will be interesting...given the poor job Rodgers did in the family night vs. 2nd stringers, TT and MM might want to rethink everything.

I actually had high hopes for Rodgers given all the positive things MM was saying about him.....but honestly, he looked like crap last night. Feet always moving, throws that were off target. If he has been getting most of the reps in OTAs and training camp, he should be on the same page as the receivers.

Brett wins hands down.

Another future GM...why do we pay TT millions when all these guys evaluate talent better than he does?

Ballboy
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Camp Notes 8/2/2007

Offense, Rodgers make a good first impression
By Bob McGinn

EDITED - QUIT POSTING FUCKING JSO ARTICLES, PLEASE!

bobblehead: read the sig

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I believe you said many times that favre didn't cost us the giants game. Since he is the guy handling the ball, that might be interpretted as he was "solid"

Incorrect. My viewpoint has been that there were many who cost us the Giants game...it wasn't the work of any single individual, but the team as a whole. Favre was part of the team, and certainly contributed with a bad INT in overtime. However, others made equally pitiful errors during that game.

My point was that MM doesn't trash his guys, any of them. Not to the press anyway. He simply says things like "miscommunication" "we gotta work on that" and "I think he was solid"

I'm fine with not trashing guys at a press conference. My point is that McCarthy was going overboard in praise and excuses for Rodgers, when it was uncalled for. McCarthy did not have to say anything good or bad about Rodgers...he could have easily deflected the questions like he typically does. He did not...he went out of his way to heap praise on Rodgers.

Don't go running on about it being "his boy" or he lied, or it wasn't a fair competition.

I'm not saying the competition isn't fair yet. I'm willing to let the thing play out. My point is that kissing Rodgers' ass isn't exactly giving me the impression that McCarthy is unbiased.

Pugger
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not gonna read too much into one crappy performance by AR in what is bascially practice. I'll chock it up to nerves and all the circus surrounding Favre to Aaron's poor performance last night. But if this continues THEN we have a problem. I'm hoping they keep Brett on the active roster now just in case...

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Camp Notes 8/2/2007

Guess I'm not sure who to rely on....per JSOnline:

Notice "Camp Notes 2007." I was just pointing out that, like Favre, Rodgers did well last year (and that was #2 offense against #1 defense). He was a little juiced up last night, but I wouldn't write him off for having one bad practice.

The Leaper
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't put me down as writing Rodgers off. One performance doesn't mean anything.

However, I'm a little concerned when I read how it has been a trend through camp practices recently. There is a lot of pressure on Rodgers...and this is the first time he's had to deal with it. This kind of pressure is what unravels many young aspiring QBs.

Maybe Favre is coming into camp at a good time for Rodgers...it might take a little heat off of him at first as the spotlight shines heavily on Brett.