PDA

View Full Version : Is the Patriot Dynasty Crumbling?

BlueBrewer
06-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Branch's absence isn't even a mini-Problem
June 13
Providence Journal (registration required): "It looks like Deion Branch is boycotting the Patriots' mandatory minicamp, which begins today. He's miffed about not getting a new contract."

It seems to me that just a couple of years ago that the Patriot praises were being sung by every media outlet; How they were a team first organization and that they all just wanted to win. I find it almost refreshing to hear that even New England isn't immune to the actions of grown men crying over money. I was beginning to think that the Packers were a sinking ship due to the attitudes of a few of their players (Walker,G.Jackson,McKenzie....) but this article brought things back into perspective. Every team has their little bitch players who are never going to be happy unless they are paid like the top5 in their position in the league even if they didn't perform at that level. Thank god we got rid of that piece of shit Walker. I will probably get some flack for that statement because of his skills, but when it comes right down to it, he was a cancer in the packer organization and needed a treatment of kemo. The Patriots had a good draft this year but will the situation with branch spread? Only time will tell.

Partial
06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
I would say they won't win the super bowl but they'll be competitive. It's either going to be them or Miami to win the division this year. As long as they have a solid defense (always will) and tom brady they'll be alright

Kiwon
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
The Pats have lost a lot of quality players and coaches the last few years. It's hard to stay at the top for very long in the NFL.

Partial
06-13-2006, 09:03 AM
true, but they still are still strong up the middle, can rush the passer, have a solid oline, and tom brady. They'll be a good team this year

BlueBrewer
06-13-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree that they will be a good team, but no longer the Super Bowl Contender. In a few years if Chad Jackson and Maroney develop they could be back. But they are not immune to assholes.

packinpatland
06-13-2006, 10:29 AM
The Patriots biggest asset is their coach. Bellicheck (sp?) has a way of treating players as commodities, ie., Law, Maginnis, Vinaterie, to name a few notables. Every player coming into his organization has to opportunity to become big, but no player becomes bigger than the whole.
They'll do well this year, possbily SB contenders.

Partial
06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
bill belichick

They have the Dline to compete and that is huge. The LBs are alright but getting old. The defense has a lot of question marks.

They have the offense, no one is worried about that.

retailguy
06-13-2006, 11:15 AM
There is no substitute for quality players. No team stays on top forever and the Patriots will be no exception. They are beginning the process of having the window close on this team. They might get two more good years out of this team before most see a noticable decline, much like the Packers in 2004, flashes of brilliance, but flashes of mediocrity also.

I think this will also be true for the Colts in the next couple of years.

It'll be fun to watch which teams step up to take their place....

The Leaper
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Players don't mind taking a little less money if they are winning. Once the Super Bowl isn't a yearly occurance, the natives get restless.

The NFL is nothing more than a multi-billion dollar entertainment business. the players are going to want their fair share. That is simply how is it...and no team or organization is exempt from the problems that come with the territory.

Green Bud Packer
06-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't know Branch's contract situation but it'll be interesting to see if Belichik holds true to form and deals Deon's ass to the highest bidder. I'd trade a #2 for him.

Partial
06-13-2006, 12:15 PM

the JAGS! J A G S JAGS JAGS JAGS! *growl*

retailguy
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM

the JAGS! J A G S JAGS JAGS JAGS! *growl*

They've got a good shot, and I'm sure that the addition of "Meathead Tice" will be the catalyst that pushes them over the edge...

Oh, btw, I like Tice, I think he's a great character. :mrgreen:

Partial
06-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I predict the Pats will be back in the hunt by 2007. They need to get better in the back 7 of their defense. Otherwise, they look fantastic on paper!

RashanGary
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
There was a time when I thought they would get stomped out, but with Brady signing his new deal and the cap going up shortly after, they look to be in good shape to move forward over the next few years. They're going to have to get some new playmakers but they have the base.

We'll see how it goes.....They're competing against 31 other teams so it's going ot be tough for them to get more superbowls. Never know though. It could happen..

I agree with Partial on the Jags...They are in great cap shape and have a very good team even without spending it all. They'll beable to get stronger and stronger with the new revamped revenue sharing. Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals can be thrown into that mix too.

Polaris
06-13-2006, 12:59 PM
The line between champion and also ran is pretty thin in the NFL. A missed Vinatieri kick, the "tuck rule".......and New England goes from being a 3 time champion to being just a really good team, Bellichick goes from being a genius to being a good coach, and Tom Brady is known as a good QB who can't win the big one.

It's that close. New England wasn't "steamrolling" through the playoffs. They won a number of close games, which is what well coached teams do.

I think they'll still be good. They're in a weak division.....Jets and Bills will both be sub.500 this year. Miami is steadily improving and will challenge them this year.

You can't substitute the playoff experience they have and they'll always be dangerous in the playoffs. And I'm not going to say they won't win another Super Bowl in the next couple of years with Brady.......but I think they're a team in decline right now and they'll have to find something to reenergize the team.

RashanGary
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Where you on the JS site Polaris? Did you come from a different forum? Your posts are rock solid.

wist43
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
The Patriots are an extremely well run organization, but I've never considered them a "dynasty".

They won 3 out of 4 Superbowls, but they certainly weren't a dominant team... I don't think there is any way they beat any of previous "dynasty" teams, i.e. Packers of the 60's, Steelers of the 70's, Niners of the 80's, Cowboys of the 90's.

They played at a high level, but never at a level commensurate with a dynasty.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
The Patriots are an extremely well run organization, but I've never considered them a "dynasty".

They won 3 out of 4 Superbowls, but they certainly weren't a dominant team... I don't think there is any way they beat any of previous "dynasty" teams, i.e. Packers of the 60's, Steelers of the 70's, Niners of the 80's, Cowboys of the 90's.

They played at a high level, but never at a level commensurate with a dynasty.

Winning 3 out of 4 Superbowls fits my definition of dynasty, no matter how skinny the margin of victory. The bottom line is winning.

retailguy
06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Dynasty is a big word, however winning 3 of 4 during the salary cap era is a pretty good hat trick.

I don't know that they'd win convincing victories against the teams Wist spoke about, but I think they'd be closer games than Wist seems to give credit for.

I cheered during the SB victory over the Rams, then booed during the last one against the Panthers.

I guess I just love to root for the underdog.