PDA

View Full Version : Family Night ... Can someone...

packers11
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
sum it up from a fans point of view...

who were the winners/losers?

who looked impressive?

Fill in the people that live out side of GB :lol:

I can't wait to watch it tonight on NFL Network...

Ballboy
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Scrimmage wrap
By Greg A. Bedard
Monday, Aug 4 2008, 12:24 AM
Green Bay - Here are some thoughts and stats on the intrasquad scrimmage:

Passing stats: Aaron Rodgers 7 of 20 for 84 yards and an interception; Brian Brohm 6 of 15 for 61 yards; Matt Flynn 6 of 11 for 49 yards. Total 19 of 46 for 194 yards, 2 sacks for 21 yards, 1 INT.

Rushing: Vernand Morency 1 for 29 yards; Brandon Jackson 5 for 28 (5.6) and one TD; Kregg Lumpkin 6 for 19 (3.2) and one fumble; Noah Herron 3 for 4 (1.3); Rodgers 1 for -1.
Receiving: Donald Driver 2 for 31; Johnny Quinn 2 for 25; Ruvell Martin 2 for 22; Tory Humphrey 2 for 21; Morency 2 for 20; Donald Lee 2 for 18; Jordy Nelson 1 for 22; Greg Jennings 1 for 12; Taj Smith 1 for 11; Brett Swain 1 for 7; Joey Haynos 1 for 5; Jackson 1 for 1; Lumpkin 1 for -1.
Punting: John Ryan 4 for 219 (54.8 average), long of 69.
Punt return: Swain 2 for 80, Blackmon 1 for 56, Nelson 1 for 17.
Kick return: Blackmon 1 for 30, Smith 1 for 29, Lee 1 for 15.
Some thoughts:

Rodgers was very inconsistent, as he has been the past three or four practices. His reads don't appear to be sound. Combine that with his constant movement in the pocket, you just get the feeling that he's not comfortable yet. He threw three or four passes without setting his feet, including one boneheaded pass back across the field that would be a pick six in a regular season game. The interception was OK if you base it off the situation -- last play of the game and you need a touchdown -- but it wasn't close to Ruvell Martin. Rodgers threw about four passes behind receivers.
Brohm wasn't a whole lot better. He throws the ball about a half step too late right now. And his arm hasn't shown up that well.
Flynn puts the ball in the right place but he's too slow delivering the ball. It has to get there much quicker.

Ruvell Martin, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson all had drops.
Tony Moll had a very rough night. He gave up at least three pressures.
Johnny Jolly was a beast. He was constantly behind the line of scrimmage. The first-team defense basically had its way with the second-team offensive line.

Vernand Morency continued a strong couple of days by having a 29-yard run. The hole was huge but he showed some good burst getting out there.
Tramon Williams came back strong from his injury and showed just how much better he is than the rest of the guys at nickel back. Jarrett Bush was decent, and Patrick Lee -- aside from his pass interference penalty -- did a nice job. Will Blackmon was a little invisible.
Charlie Peprah was flying all over the field making plays.
Nick Collins saw some time at cornerback. He said it's to help him with his cover skills.
Junius Coston struggled.
Josh Sitton continued to look good.
In general, I would say it was a very uneven performance. McCarthy seemed to agree. "We are a young football team," he said. "It was important for our guys to line up and play and it was a fundamentally based scrimmage. I saw some bad fundamentals and I saw some bad technique, and that's really what I am anticipating coming out of the film study tomorrow."

Expect a lot of clean up work on Tuesday because they need it.

That's it for now.

FROM JSONLINE>COM

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
it was kinda ugly, a slippery field. NFL network must be struggling to fill time.

The one positive I took away from it is that the Packers have built-up a pretty deep offensive line. Who is that STitton guy that the announcers were praising? A draft pick?

]{ilr]3
08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
And point out the ones who were booing A-Rod so they can be bitch slapped! I understand what they thought they were proving, but all they did is make Packers fans look like morons and crap on the team that was on the field. Glad it wasn’t nationally televised, I would have been even more embarrassed to associate myself with them as a Packers fan.

ND72
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing it either. I was in Milwaukee for the weekend for a mini-vacation, and got home later in the night. I did see the last few series. The one thing I want to say, #1 - Ed Werder is an idiot. Love or hate Rodgers, Jennings wasn't "wide open" on his INT. now, should he have thrown that? no...but if Jennings somehow catches it, GENIUS.

#2 - The defense looks pretty FRICKEN good.

#3 - Aaron Rouse, looks pretty FRICKEN GOOD.

#4 - I'm starting to like the idea of our future of our OL being LT- Colledge, LG - Barbre, C - Spitz, RG - Sitton, RT - Gio. I thought all of them showed signs of being pretty freakin good last night.

LL2
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
There sure looked like there were a lot of dropped balls by the WR's. I wonder if they were caught what Rodgers stats would've looked like. Probably a lot better.

ND72
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
{ilr]3]And point out the ones who were booing A-Rod so they can be bitch slapped! I understand what they thought they were proving, but all they did is make Packers fans look like morons and crap on the team that was on the field. Glad it wasn’t nationally televised, I would have been even more embarrassed to associate myself with them as a Packers fan.

Agreed...I'd like to see what kind of support Aaron would have if the whole Brett-Opera wasn't going on and he stayed retired. Hopefully next season, when Brett retires again, we have 100% backing for Aaron from fans. If he's our future, we will need to go through the struggles with him, just like we did with Brett.

Patler
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
#4 - I'm starting to like the idea of our future of our OL being LT- Colledge, LG - Barbre, C - Spitz, RG - Sitton, RT - Gio. I thought all of them showed signs of being pretty freakin good last night.

I knew you would come around to the Barbre-Spitz-Sitton combination in the middle! :lol: :lol:

I'm not convinced Colledge is the answer to replace Clifton. He may be more natural at tackle than at guard, but I'm not convinced he will be a good one. Giacomini - who knows, but he will certainly make the roster. I hope someone at tackle starts to show improvement.

I have a feeling Moll will be looking for work by the end of the month. They seem to be scrambling to see if he fits in anywhere.

ND72
08-04-2008, 12:08 PM

I knew you would come around to the Barbre-Spitz-Sitton combination in the middle! :lol: :lol:

I'm not convinced Colledge is the answer to replace Clifton. He may be more natural at tackle than at guard, but I'm not convinced he will be a good one. Giacomini - who knows, but he will certainly make the roster. I hope someone at tackle starts to show improvement.

I have a feeling Moll will be looking for work by the end of the month. They seem to be scrambling to see if he fits in anywhere.

I've been on the Barbre bandwagon forever. I still like Wells, can't really explain why except the fact I just like good solid guys. He's not great, but he's solid. Spitz has grown on me, thought he was very solid last year.
I like Sitton & Giacomini. Giacomini has the biggest growth, but have you seen the guy? he's huge. If he develops, he could be special.

packers11
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
thanks guys for your observations. the out of state GB fans really appreciate it :)

Patler
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been on the Barbre bandwagon forever. I still like Wells, can't really explain why except the fact I just like good solid guys. He's not great, but he's solid. Spitz has grown on me, thought he was very solid last year.
I like Sitton & Giacomini. Giacomini has the biggest growth, but have you seen the guy? he's huge. If he develops, he could be special.

Barbre - Ya, how can you not like a 300lb gunner on the punt team?!

Sitton - they are talking about the way I had hoped they would talk about Colledge or Spitz as rookies. He seems to be transitioning very quickly, even as a rookie. It seems to have taken Spitz about a year and a half, and Colledge.......?

I commented in the thread last night that Spitz is a good sized guy, but looked clearly smaller than Barbre and Sitton when they were out there together, and of course Giacomini is even bigger. If he picks things up quickly, maybe Tauscher won't be renewed, but I think it will take him a bit longer than that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 12:43 PM
its good that they have so much competition inside. need to draft some tackles next year.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
There sure looked like there were a lot of dropped balls by the WR's. I wonder if they were caught what Rodgers stats would've looked like. Probably a lot better.

12-20 or 13-20, but the INT would have happened anyway. Still not spectacular, but not awful either.

cpk1994
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
{ilr]3]And point out the ones who were booing A-Rod so they can be bitch slapped! I understand what they thought they were proving, but all they did is make Packers fans look like morons and crap on the team that was on the field. Glad it wasn’t nationally televised, I would have been even more embarrassed to associate myself with them as a Packers fan.

Agreed...I'd like to see what kind of support Aaron would have if the whole Brett-Opera wasn't going on and he stayed retired. Hopefully next season, when Brett retires again, we have 100% backing for Aaron from fans. If he's our future, we will need to go through the struggles with him, just like we did with Brett.Actually its more important he actually gets 100% backing from the weasels known as management.

Packgator
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Punt return: Swain 2 for 80, Blackmon 1 for 56, Nelson 1 for 17

Either the punt returners are really good.......or the punt coverage team needs a lot of work.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
the punt coverage team is not allowed to tackle, just wrap up. That makes the tacklers very hesitant. they don't want to accidently smack the returner and get yelled at. meanwhile, the returner is free to run full speed.

Punt returns under these conditions are B.S.

Gunakor
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
the punt coverage team is not allowed to tackle, just wrap up. That makes the tacklers very hesitant. they don't want to accidently smack the returner and get yelled at. meanwhile, the returner is free to run full speed.

Punt returns under these conditions are B.S.

Pretty much all situations under these conditions are bs. The OL looked good because the DL wasn't allowed to hammer the QB. The RB's looked good because the LB's weren't allowed to drill them into the ground. The object of this scrimmage wasn't to play lights out. It was to keep from getting hurt.

Pacopete4
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Punt return: Swain 2 for 80, Blackmon 1 for 56, Nelson 1 for 17

Either the punt returners are really good.......or the punt coverage team needs a lot of work.

those were none tackle drills