PDA

View Full Version : Packers, Favre likely to split

Brando19
08-05-2008, 05:55 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8414518/Solution-remains-elusive-for-Favre,-Packers

Brett Favre's Packers career appears exactly as it has over the last several months, at best in limbo, at worst over. After hours of meetings and few if any details emerging, it now seems less and less likely that Favre will be back on the playing field for the Packers, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides are expected to meet again in the morning as they try to work toward a solution palatable to both sides. However, one detail FOXSports.com gathered from the meeting was Favre's insistence that he did not want his presence to destroy the team's chemistry. In fact, Favre was adamant that he wanted to do what was in the best interest of the locker room and admitted this distraction was not what his teammates needed.

Another agreement from the meeting was that, despite reports to the contrary, there would not be an open quarterback competition as even Favre felt this would not be in the best interests of the locker room. Thus, Aaron Rodgers is the team's starting quarterback.

As Favre met with head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson late Monday, the sides were moving toward an agreement to end this circus, but uncertainty remained about what that agreement ultimately will be.

Favre and the team continued to hold the same viewpoints they've held for weeks but rather than continuing their stalemate, they have joined in pursuit of a mutually agreeable solution. Whether that solution will entail a trade, a release or another option was not determined in the meeting.

Favre, however, stood to his long-standing desire to stay within the division. But the Packers were still hoping to find another option.

Favre now has to truly decide if he wants to play football for one of the two teams that have shown interest — the Jets and the Bucs — or continue to push for a solution that does not appear to be viable to the Packers.

The two sides aired grievances and actually had amicable talks. In fact, McCarthy and Favre met for so long the coach was unable to attend his scheduled team meeting and chose to cancel his press conference rather than address the media before having an opportunity to meet with his players.

Thompson and Favre then met at about 11 p.m. local time as the two tried to come to determine what their next step would be.

While they did not find an answer to a situation that has become stressful to all involved, at least all parties now appear to agree that this situation must soon come to a workable conclusion.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Yes. Maybe McCarthy has a spine after all. We'll see.

Patler
08-05-2008, 06:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8414518/Solution-remains-elusive-for-Favre,-Packers

The two sides are expected to meet again in the morning as they try to work toward a solution palatable to both sides. However, one detail FOXSports.com gathered from the meeting was Favre's insistence that he did not want his presence to destroy the team's chemistry. In fact, Favre was adamant that he wanted to do what was in the best interest of the locker room and admitted this distraction was not what his teammates needed.

Favre seems to say the right thing, but to me his actions show he does not really mean it. If he really cared about the impact he was having on the team, he would at least talk to the potential trade partners the Packers have identified, and would provide the Packers with a list of acceptable trade destinations. If the reports are true that he has done neither of these, he really does not care how this fiasco affects the team.

I'm not saying he has to agree to anything the Packers line up, but so far he seems to be totally uncooperative in exploring possible options.

packrulz
08-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Favre holds all the cards now that the tampering charges are dismissed, if he won't be traded to the Jets or Bucs, the Packers will have to release him, they owe him that much.

mission
08-05-2008, 06:26 AM

Favre seems to say the right thing, but to me his actions show he does not really mean it. If he really cared about the impact he was having on the team, he would at least talk to the potential trade partners the Packers have identified, and would provide the Packers with a list of acceptable trade destinations. If the reports are true that he has done neither of these, he really does not care how this fiasco affects the team.

I'm not sure it's really as cut and dry as that.

I've made the decision to break up with a few girls that I've loved and a couple of the times I actually went out of my way (way out of my way) to make the transition easier for the girls because I knew our relationship as it had existed was no longer, i still wanted to do what i could do, within the realm of my own benefit, because i sincerely had no desire to create additional stress on the person.

same thing...

look, he has a lot of real friends on that team. call them what you will - or not, chewy -- but he wants the outcome he wants, with it impacting the team as little as possible.

so to say he really does not care how this fiasco affects the team, while it may (deep down) be true, it just logically doesn't hold a lot of water based on the semblance of cooperation we've witnessed so far from favre.

he essential could tare apart the team and force release if he wanted... if he really fuckin wanted... to get the best result possible for him, today.

but i dunno ...

i hate this topic so much right now ... it's so tired.

digitaldean
08-05-2008, 06:36 AM
If he cares about the rest of the team, great.

They do have a game coming up in less than a week. Even though it's only pre-season, this is an unneeded distraction.

Releasing him so he can go to Minny for nothing is out. Unless Minny offers a king's ransom is out.

Favre forced the reinstatement, he waived his leverage on where he can go. If the Pack sends him somewhere other than Minny, then he has to retire for good or accept the trade. If they find no suitable trade partners, then #4 has to deal with the coach's decision.

If this is true, then McCarthy is the opposite of how he was portrayed yesterday in the GB sports talk shows - spineless and not a man of his word.

They need to resolve this NOW.

packrulz
08-05-2008, 06:48 AM

They do have a game coming up in less than a week. Even though it's only pre-season, this is an unneeded distraction.

Releasing him so he can go to Minny for nothing is out. Unless Minny offers a king's ransom is out.

Favre forced the reinstatement, he waived his leverage on where he can go. If the Pack sends him somewhere other than Minny, then he has to retire for good or accept the trade. If they find no suitable trade partners, then #4 has to deal with the coach's decision.

If this is true, then McCarthy is the opposite of how he was portrayed yesterday in the GB sports talk shows - spineless and not a man of his word.

The queens aren't stupid, why give up a draft pick if they can get him for free? The Pack will have to release him, it would be too much of a circus if they didn't, just like the Chargers cut Drew Brees. They might give up a 6th rounder just to ensure they, and not some other team, can claim him.

Lurker64
08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I wonder if it's possible that Favre and McCarthy could come to an agreement whereby Favre is excused from training camp, and he goes home while he waits for the Packers to trade him somewhere. If such a trade can be made soon or really any time before the season starts, great. Otherwise, they could use a roster spot on Favre (while he stays in Miss.) and wait to see if any team suffers an injury to their starting QB and would be willing to pay handsomely for Favre.

I think, right now, that would be the best possible solution for everybody.

Patler
08-05-2008, 07:07 AM
so to say he really does not care how this fiasco affects the team, while it may (deep down) be true, it just logically doesn't hold a lot of water based on the semblance of cooperation we've witnessed so far from favre.

I don't know, I've seen little to no cooperation from Favre. Just my impression, others may feel differently.

To me, the refusal to even talk to the Jets or Bucs is ridiculous. If nothing else he would at least look like he is considering alternatives if he would talk to them, and he may even decide one would be OK. At this late stage, to continue insisting on the one option he wants is showing no cooperation on his side. It's childish, in my opinion.

RashanGary
08-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Brett signed a contract that guarateed him a lot of money. Right now his rights belong to the Packers. The Packers have been good enough to seach out just about every team in the league and give Favre his choice. Contractually they don't have to do that so they are flexing for him.

Favre is not honoring his contract or his word that he doesn't want to effect his teammates. He seems to know it's over here but he's still here wanting to fight the organization with the teammates in the middle. If he really just wanted to play football he would go to the Bucs, where they run a similar offense, and be done with it. Favre is intentially putting this team in a bad spot to release him from a contract he signed. Remember what he said when people didn't honor their contracts?

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 07:10 AM

He's gotta be pretty hurt from you throwing him under the bus so many times yesterday :lol:

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Brett signed a contract that guarateed him a lot of money. Right now his rights belong to the Packers. The Packers have been good enough to seach out just about every team in the league and give Favre his choice. Contractually they don't have to do that.

Favre is not honoring his contract or his word that he doesn't want to effect his teammates. He seems to know it's over here but he's still here wanting to fight the organization with the teammates in the middle. If he really just wanted to play football he would go to the Bucs, where they run a similar offense, and be done with it. Favre is intentially putting this team in a bad spot to release him from a contract he signed. Remember what he said when people didn't honor their contracts?JH, the calling of every team was an effort to mock Goodell, nothing more, nothing less.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 07:11 AM

He's gotta be pretty hurt from you throwing him under the bus so many times yesterday :lol:It was a steamroller, get it straight. :D

pbmax
08-05-2008, 07:21 AM
There are two competing misconception out there that I think need to be looked closely at.

One is Favre's trade veto leverage. People keep reporting he has lost it, but as a practical matter he has not. He simply can refuse to report or to redo the contract. At that point, depending on the terms of the trade, his rights could belong to either team and he may be subject to fines. He can avoid that by reretiring. He has very little, if any remaining signing bonus that could be recovered, so a team would have little leverage to get him to show up.

Second, leverage over the tampering. Maybe I am missing something, but the fact that the Packer's do not have that to hold over the Vikings makes that trade easier, though it may mean a lesser pick. So Favre might have a greater chance to go to his preferred team, the Packer's odds of getting something in return increase as well.

RashanGary
08-05-2008, 07:26 AM
There are two competing misconception out there that I think need to be looked closely at.

One is Favre's trade veto leverage. People keep reporting he has lost it, but as a practical matter he has not. He simply can refuse to report or to redo the contract. At that point, depending on the terms of the trade, his rights could belong to either team and he may be subject to fines. He can avoid that by reretiring. He has very little, if any remaining signing bonus that could be recovered, so a team would have little leverage to get him to show up.

Second, leverage over the tampering. Maybe I am missing something, but the fact that the Packer's do not have that to hold over the Vikings makes that trade easier, though it may mean a lesser pick. So Favre might have a greater chance to go to his preferred team, the Packer's odds of getting something in return increase as well.

Right. He has leverage. If he wants to try to force himself out of his contract, the one he signed and tried to hold other teammates to, then he still has a ton of leverage to effect his teammates and coaches to the point where they may just release him. He has leverage, but all of it involves dragging this team (coaches and teammated) through this drama.

Old School
08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I read a comment posted on Fox Sports that made sense. If Favre wants to be free to call the shots, he should buy back his contract. That would be the business like approach.

On the other hand, if you're a weasel.........

motife
08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Mike McCarthy announces Matt Flynn to start
August 4, 2008 by awhayes
“Our sources” just confirmed that Mike McCarthy has promised the 2008 starting QB role to rookie Matt Flynn “until he gets hurt”. McCarthy noted that he bases most decisions on starting roles for each position on the performance at Family Night. Morency will be joining Flynn in the backfield based on his per carry average of 29 and Patrick Lee will start at all 4 secondary positions, occasionally helped by Charlie Peprah. Alfred Malone will start on the line and nobody will punt. When pressed for more on the reasoning for starting Flynn, McCarthy pointed out that Flynn doesn’t wear a totally prohibitive, giant knee brace (Brohm) make poor hair-experimentation decisions (Rodgers) and has not recently behaved like a “flippin’ 5 year old”.

imscott72
08-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Yeah someone is gonna look pretty foolish after their cuss filled rant towards TT and MM if they stand their ground.. :roll:

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM

I think Favre still wants to play for Green Bay...and was hoping the team would eventually come around. I have no idea how someone can characterize Favre has "not really meaning it" when they have no real clue what has been said in private discussions.

Favre probably doesn't really want to go play for Tampa or the Jets. I don't think he really wants to go play for the Vikings either, despite what some of the yahoos here seem to think.

He wants to play football. He would like to play in Green Bay. Green Bay doesn't want him. After 16 seasons, he's having a difficult time reconciling that. I would too.

I also think you are overestimating the impact this has had on the team. It probably has weighed on Rodgers...but he's going to have alot weighing on him this season regardless. The rest of the team? It's out of their control...and they have more important things to worry about, like getting themselves ready for the season.

I think it is much more of a distraction for the fans than it is the players.

imscott72
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM

The queens aren't stupid, why give up a draft pick if they can get him for free? The Pack will have to release him, it would be too much of a circus if they didn't, just like the Chargers cut Drew Brees. They might give up a 6th rounder just to ensure they, and not some other team, can claim him.

Exactly. I don't think they'll find a trade partner at all with teams knowing he's not wanted and will likely be released. I personally think the Packers are idiots for releasing a 3 time (nearly 4 time) MVP, but what do I know. It's too bad they couldn't work something out and pay Arod to stick around a little longer. I just hope it's not an ego thing with TT and MM.

MOBB DEEP
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I read a comment posted on Fox Sports that made sense. If Favre wants to be free to call the shots, he should buy back his contract. That would be the business like approach.

On the other hand, if you're a weasel.........

dont b so hard on TT

ND72
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM

Exactly. I don't think they'll find a trade partner at all with teams knowing he's not wanted and will likely be released. I personally think the Packers are idiots for releasing a 3 time (nearly 4 time) MVP, but what do I know. It's too bad they couldn't work something out and pay Arod to stick around a little longer. I just hope it's not an ego thing with TT and MM.

again, we're all going off of speculation, we don't know anything yet. Early July, Jay Glazer reported the trade with Favre & Bucs was already completed......

imscott72
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM

again, we're all going off of speculation, we don't know anything yet. Early July, Jay Glazer reported the trade with Favre & Bucs was already completed......

I realize we don't know anything yet, but read between the lines. A 5 hour meeting which caused MM to postpone a team meeting? You know how important those things are to him. Things obviously weren't going as planned.

Ballboy
08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm not so sure Glazer knows what he is talking about here.

Clayton reported the direct opposite of this and thought that Brett maybe the starter on opening day.

Patler
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
I think Favre still wants to play for Green Bay...and was hoping the team would eventually come around. I have no idea how someone can characterize Favre has "not really meaning it" when they have no real clue what has been said in private discussions.

Favre probably doesn't really want to go play for Tampa or the Jets. I don't think he really wants to go play for the Vikings either, despite what some of the yahoos here seem to think.

He wants to play football. He would like to play in Green Bay. Green Bay doesn't want him. After 16 seasons, he's having a difficult time reconciling that. I would too.

I also think you are overestimating the impact this has had on the team. It probably has weighed on Rodgers...but he's going to have alot weighing on him this season regardless. The rest of the team? It's out of their control...and they have more important things to worry about, like getting themselves ready for the season.

I didn't say it has affected the team. In fact, I agree that to now this probably has affected the fans more than the players; however, eventually that will change. The constant distractions, mixed feelings about Favre, MM, TT, etc. will impact the team. It has to if this goes on and on.

My point was this: he says he doesn't want to affect the team, but his actions (or inactions) show that he really doesn't care what the impact is on the team. That does not rely on what he has said in private converstation. It is based on his reported actions or inactions. If reports are true (and it is all we have to form our opinions on) Favre has been totally uncooperative in the Packers attempts to trade him. Again, I'm not saying he has to ACCEPT whatever the Packers line up, but to refuse to talk to the few interested teams, and to refuse to provide alternatives is totally uncooperative. That simply prolongs the whole thing, and the longer it goes on, the more likely of an adverse effect on the team.

Finally, if we are allowed to express opinions on here only if we have access to all the inside info, then we can discuss nothing. We certainly can not discuss the players' performances, game situations and the like because not only do we not have access to the players, we have no information about the playbook, players assignments, etc. We might as well shut the board down.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
My point was this: he says he doesn't want to affect the team, but his actions (or inactions) show that he really doesn't care what the impact is on the team.

Really?

What about the fact that he didn't try to force his way into camp immediately and KINDLY accepted Thompson's request to put it off?

Or what about KINDLY accepting the commissioner bending over backwards for the team in terms of waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to reinstate Favre after he had turned in his paperwork?

I think Favre has been very respectful of the team in recent weeks, and has gone out of his way to limit distractions.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Again, I'm not saying he has to ACCEPT whatever the Packers line up, but to refuse to talk to the few interested teams, and to refuse to provide alternatives is totally uncooperative.

Well, you can argue that Green Bay is totally uncooperative by not allowing Favre back to compete for the job. Favre has a contract with the team, and by all accounts is just as good a QB as Rodgers.

The point is that both sides have RIGHTS to do certain things...and NEITHER side is handling this in a way that will bring quick closure. I object to how you make it so one sided against Favre.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
My point was this: he says he doesn't want to affect the team, but his actions (or inactions) show that he really doesn't care what the impact is on the team.

Really?

What about the fact that he didn't try to force his way into camp immediately and KINDLY accepted Thompson's request to put it off?

Or what about KINDLY accepting the commissioner bending over backwards for the team in terms of waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to reinstate Favre after he had turned in his paperwork?

I think Favre has been very respectful of the team in recent weeks, and has gone out of his way to limit distractions.

What about speaking through Bus.

What about speaking through Scott, Al Jones, and Bonita.

What about ripping management on Fox News?

MOBB DEEP
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
mike and mike discussing glazers article now

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Clayton reported the direct opposite of this and thought that Brett maybe the starter on opening day.OF course Clayton would say that. He works for FavreSPN. They spin everything in Favre's favor.

Patler
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Force his way into camp? Before he was reinstated? I would accept that as cooperation if he agreed to delay coming after he was eligible to be in camp. The fact is, he came the instant he was eligible, with no delay. He actually came up earlier than that, so that he was in GB the instant he was put on the roster.

Personally, in my opinion, flying up during the Family night activities was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers. He could have called the Packers and said he was flying up Monday morning, and I'm sure the Packers would have accepted that.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Yeah someone is gonna look pretty foolish after their cuss filled rant towards TT and MM if they stand their ground.. :roll:I won't feel foolish.

MOBB DEEP
08-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Force his way into camp? Before he was reinstated? I would accept that as cooperation if he agreed to delay coming after he was eligible to be in camp. The fact is, he came the instant he was eligible, with no delay. He actually came up earlier than that, so that he was in GB the instant he was put on the roster.

Personally, in my opinion, flying up during the Family night activities was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers. He could have called the Packers and said he was flying up Monday morning, and I'm sure the Packers would have accepted that.

i agree wit fam night statement

Patler
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Again, I'm not saying he has to ACCEPT whatever the Packers line up, but to refuse to talk to the few interested teams, and to refuse to provide alternatives is totally uncooperative.

Well, you can argue that Green Bay is totally uncooperative by not allowing Favre back to compete for the job. Favre has a contract with the team, and by all accounts is just as good a QB as Rodgers.

The point is that both sides have RIGHTS to do certain things...and NEITHER side is handling this in a way that will bring quick closure. I object to how you make it so one sided against Favre.

Well of course there is blame on both sides, I'm not debating who is at fault, or who is most at fault. You are reading much, much more into a simple statement on my part than is there. I simply juxtaposed Favre's apparent statements with his apparent actions (or inactions) and formed the opinion they are inconsistent. Nothing more than that. Why does that bother you so much?

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Force his way into camp? Before he was reinstated?

No, no. From what I've read, Thompson requested Favre to delay turning in his papers...and Favre cooperated.

Personally, in my opinion, flying up during the Family night activities was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers.

You are nuts. The guy had his plane warming up on the tarmac numerous times in the past week, but the commissioner kept delaying and delaying and delaying. As Favre said, if he is going to play in 2008, he needs to get into camp PRONTO.

Favre was itching to get into Green Bay. If anything, it was the Packers fault for delaying this as long as possible...hoping Favre would just choose retirement for good (including raising the stakes with their "marketing" deal, which went up from $10M to $20M to $25M reportedly) so this would all go away without them having to actually DO anything.

motife
08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
If there is anyone in the Packer's organization who can "keep it real" it's Mike McCarthy. There are few people who are more bluntly bottom line rational than him. He brings stunning clarity and masterful orgnanization to every task which is particularly amazing in that he's so young.

Favre on the other hand is the direct opposite. He is incredibly immature.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Force his way into camp? Before he was reinstated?

No, no. From what I've read, Thompson requested Favre to delay turning in his papers...and Favre cooperated.

Personally, in my opinion, flying up during the Family night activities was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers.

You are nuts. The guy had his plane warming up on the tarmac numerous times in the past week, but the commissioner kept delaying and delaying and delaying. As Favre said, if he is going to play in 2008, he needs to get into camp PRONTO.

Favre was itching to get into Green Bay. If anything, it was the Packers fault for delaying this as long as possible...hoping Favre would just choose retirement for good (including raising the stakes with their "marketing" deal, which went up from $10M to $20M to $25M reportedly) so this would all go away without them having to actually DO anything.BUt he couldn't start in camp until Monday anyway. NO reason to fly up in the middle of Family Night. I agree with Patlar. That was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers and anyone who thinks oitherwise is s Favre sycophant.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
BUt he couldn't start in camp until Monday anyway. NO reason to fly up in the middle of Family Night. I agree with Patlar. That was a blatant attempt to upstage the Packers and anyone who thinks oitherwise is s Favre sycophant.

Yeah, I'm sure Favre was the one who called for the helicopter to trail him to his house.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The guy flew up to Green Bay, got into an Escalade, and drove to a house. How the hell is that a "blantant attempt" to upstage anything?

Some of you really are reaching for straws.

Patler
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
The guy flew up to Green Bay, got into an Escalade, and drove to a house. How the hell is that a "blantant attempt" to upstage anything?

Sure....and he had no idea that by doing so the media would be there to see him arrive, report on it during the telecast of the scrimmage, and immediately ask about it after the scrimmage was done. The night should have been about the team. By coming to Green Bay during the activities, he ensured that the evening would be as much about him as about the team.

I think you are being a bit naive if you don't see that.

Ballboy
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Clayton reported the direct opposite of this and thought that Brett maybe the starter on opening day.OF course Clayton would say that. He works for FavreSPN. They spin everything in Favre's favor.

Oh yeah, I forgot...your a media guru and can read into everything that people are doing, just like we are all GM's around here.....RIGHT?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Clayton reported the direct opposite of this and thought that Brett maybe the starter on opening day.Of course Clayton would say that. He works for FavreSPN. They spin everything in Favre's favor.

Oh yeah, I forgot...your a media guru and can read into everything that people are doing, just like we are all GM's around here.....RIGHT?You obviously haven't been following ESPN or visiting their website the last 2 months have you? Their next article siding with TT and the Packers will be their first.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM

It wasn't like he held a news conference or anything.

Seriously, Patler. What did he do to attract attention? He got off a plane, waved a couple times, and left.

If that was his ploy to take all the attention away from "Family Night", then he failed. He could've hung out of his box and waved to the crowd DURING the event if he really wanted to be a nuisance. However, he wasn't anywhere to be seen...although Deanna was.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Sure....and he had no idea that by doing so the media would be there to see him arrive, report on it during the telecast of the scrimmage, and immediately ask about it after the scrimmage was done. The night should have been about the team. By coming to Green Bay during the activities, he ensured that the evening would be as much about him as about the team.

I think you are being a bit naive if you don't see that.Not to mention the 3 other times the media was waiting for him at the airport and tracking all the flights.

AtownPackFan
08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Why all the fuss? I have read nothing from the Packers or Favre relating to lat night meeting.

The talked for 5 hours, then they got in their vehicles and drove away.

From that reporters have gathered a trade is in the works, Favre has demanded there not be open competition, McCarthy doesn't want Favre around.........

Let's through every possible situation on the wall and we will be right. Then for the next lifetime we can say we knew what was going on in that meeting and everyone will think we are geniuses.

How about wait until you can report some facts instead of opinions?

Fritz
08-05-2008, 09:34 AM

I didn't say it has affected the team. In fact, I agree that to now this probably has affected the fans more than the players; however, eventually that will change. The constant distractions, mixed feelings about Favre, MM, TT, etc. will impact the team. It has to if this goes on and on.

My point was this: he says he doesn't want to affect the team, but his actions (or inactions) show that he really doesn't care what the impact is on the team. That does not rely on what he has said in private converstation. It is based on his reported actions or inactions. If reports are true (and it is all we have to form our opinions on) Favre has been totally uncooperative in the Packers attempts to trade him. Again, I'm not saying he has to ACCEPT whatever the Packers line up, but to refuse to talk to the few interested teams, and to refuse to provide alternatives is totally uncooperative. That simply prolongs the whole thing, and the longer it goes on, the more likely of an adverse effect on the team.

Finally, if we are allowed to express opinions on here only if we have access to all the inside info, then we can discuss nothing. We certainly can not discuss the players' performances, game situations and the like because not only do we not have access to the players, we have no information about the playbook, players assignments, etc. We might as well shut the board down.

This may be true of most posters, Patler, but I happen to have an amazing ability to discern the truth instantly, with very little if any inside information. For example, I can watch a broken running play for a loss of three from my living room and immediately know whose fault it is. I don't even need to see the replay! Additionally, as a keen student of human nature (and psychic), I know who's right and wrong in the whole Brett Favre retirement fiasco.

You're wrong Patler. Fritz knows all!

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
For example, I can watch a broken running play for a loss of three from my living room and immediately know whose fault it is.

That isn't some kind of genius, Fritz...

We all know Colledge is the guy to fault...even if he was on the bench during the play.

:)

Patler

It wasn't like he held a news conference or anything.

Seriously, Patler. What did he do to attract attention? He got off a plane, waved a couple times, and left.

If that was his ploy to take all the attention away from "Family Night", then he failed. He could've hung out of his box and waved to the crowd DURING the event if he really wanted to be a nuisance. However, he wasn't anywhere to be seen...although Deanna was.

Simply coming into GB that night was a distraction, further galvanized fan opinion and emphasized the controversy. The simple act of flying to GB is nothing...unless you are Brett Favre, are embroiled in a national controversy with the Packers, have been threatening to fly up to GB for a couple weeks, and choose to do it when the spotlight should have been on the team.

He could have waited until the next morning. He came that night for a reason. He did not have to have a press conference. By coming when he did he emphasized the disagreement and put a big bright circle around himself not being on the field when the team was.

It wasn't a coincidence that he arrived during that brief time window, in my opinion.

cpk1994

This may be true of most posters, Patler, but I happen to have an amazing ability to discern the truth instantly, with very little if any inside information. For example, I can watch a broken running play for a loss of three from my living room and immediately know whose fault it is. I don't even need to see the replay! Additionally, as a keen student of human nature (and psychic), I know who's right and wrong in the whole Brett Favre retirement fiasco.

You're wrong Patler. Fritz knows all!Is that so, Carnac? :)

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
The simple act of flying to GB is nothing.

You should have just stuck with that.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:40 AM

You should have just stuck with that.The truth hurts, doesn't it.

boiga
08-05-2008, 09:41 AM

The difference is that before Favre got reinstated, if he refused to report, his rights would automatically return to the Packers and the trade partner would have everything completely refunded. Brett could therefore hold out until he gets the trade that he wanted without worrying about being dumped onto the Dolphins.

Now even if he refuses to report, he still stays with his new team, and if he wants to play again it'll have to be for them or no one. That gives the Packers an out if they just want to get Brett out of their hair. Favre's veto power now has more to do with PR in that he could embarrass the Packers for treating him so badly or the new team for sucking so much he doesn't want to play for them.

Still, before he had an actual veto. Now it's only a PR veto, so his position has weakened.

Patler
08-05-2008, 09:41 AM

You're wrong Patler. Fritz knows all!

Sorry, Fritz. I assumed you knew that I excluded you from my blanket statement. After all..........! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Why yes it is. For example, Leaper was mostly correct when he said that any broken running play the last two years was Colledge's fault, even if he was on the bench. But I see already that this year, any broken running play will clearly be Brett Favre's fault, no matter whether he's playing QB for the Packers, the Vikings, or sitting on his tractor at home.

Don't worry. I will continue to share my wisdom so all can be as enlightened as Fritz.

Patler
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM

You should have just stuck with that.

You should realize that when its Favre, the Packers and the media, no act remains a simple act!

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Why yes it is. For example, Leaper was mostly correct when he said that any broken running play the last two years was Colledge's fault, even if he was on the bench. But I see already that this year, any broken running play will clearly be Brett Favre's fault, no matter whether he's playing QB for the Packers, the Vikings, or sitting on his tractor at home.

Don't worry. I will continue to share my wisdom so all can be as enlightened as Fritz.Well then would you care to enligthen us with the Powerball numbers for Wednesday night? I need some cash. :D

Fritz
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Powerball? I'm sorry, my talents are limited to Green Bay Packer football.

And I don't really even know who's going to win. I just know who to blame, instantly.

I have honed this talent over the years, by the way. It's hard work blaming others all the time. But I don't shirk.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Powerball? I'm sorry, my talents are limited to Green Bay Packer football.

And I don't really even know who's going to win. I just know who to blame, instantly.

I have honed this talent over the years, by the way. It's hard work blaming others all the time. But I don't shirk.Damn it I was so close.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Is anyone wondering what is up with Packer management?

On Sunday, all we heard about was that "they had a plan" in regard to Favre. They had always had a plan if Favre returned. This was something they had been carefully charting and mapping for months, and they had all the bases covered.

Next thing we know, a meeting between Favre and McCarthy goes on for 5 hours...and apparently nothing really came from it.

So...what was the plan?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM

On Sunday, all we heard about was that "they had a plan" in regard to Favre.

Next thing we know, a meeting between Favre and McCarthy goes on for 5 hours...and apparently nothing really came from it.

So...what was the plan?Aaron Rodgers is the starter, Favre the backup. Clear enough?

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Aaron Rodgers is the starter, Favre the backup. Clear enough?

You weren't so clear about that yesterday.

AtownPackFan
08-05-2008, 09:58 AM

On Sunday, all we heard about was that "they had a plan" in regard to Favre. They had always had a plan if Favre returned. This was something they had been carefully charting and mapping for months, and they had all the bases covered.

So...what was the plan?

Has the Press Conference taken place and I missed it? They have not spoken since the meeting so how does anyone know if anything came of it or not?

Fritz
08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
IF the Foxsports story is to be believed - and that's a big "if" - then I am encouraged. This is because it sounds like both sides are being honest and not angry. It sounds like they agree to disagree, though to his credit - again, if this is true - Favre is acknowledging the difficult position the team is in and that an "open" competition may not be best.

I see the door to a solution perhaps opening. Perhaps Favre will consider playing for Tampa, and perhaps Green Bay will consider letting Minny in on the bidding.

IF. It's equally possible that Favre and McCarthy talked about barbecue recipes, eating opossum, sports writers they hate, their favorite sexual positions - and the time just got away from them.

By the way, I am uncomfortable that MM drives an Escalade. Somehow I saw him in a four wheel drive pickup.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Aaron Rodgers is the starter, Favre the backup. Clear enough?

You weren't so clear about that yesterday.I was clear about their plan. I was blasting them for not following through on it.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:01 AM

So...what was the plan?

Has the Press Conference taken place and I missed it? They have not spoken since the meeting so how does anyone know if anything came of it or not?NO, McCarthy cancelled it until today becuase the meeting with Favre ran until 11:20.

sharpe1027
08-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Really?

I understand your point, but I can't agree with the kindly part. I mean the guy tried to publicly embarrass TT by claiming that he was begging him to stay away and was afraid to lose his job. How kind was that? I agree with Patler that Favre's action's contradict his words. Too many times he has come off as trying to twist the knife and/or chosen to use the media rather than work with the Packers.

AtownPackFan
08-05-2008, 10:08 AM

So...what was the plan?

Has the Press Conference taken place and I missed it? They have not spoken since the meeting so how does anyone know if anything came of it or not?NO, McCarthy cancelled it until today becuase the meeting with Favre ran until 11:20.

That is kind of my point CPK, no information has come from the Packer organization and already the media has decided what the meeting was about, what was discussed, and where the situation stands at this point.

And people blame Favre for this mess. IF the media would simply wait for information then maybe this situation would not be so over blown.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM

So...what was the plan?

That is kind of my point CPK, no information has come from the Packer organization and already the media has decided what the meeting was about, what was discussed, and where the situation stands at this point.

And people blame Favre for this mess. IF the media would simply wait for information then maybe this situation would not be so over blown.The media doesnt need to get it from the Packerss orgization. The Favre Camp is more than willing, as has been repeatdly shown, to leak the info themselves.

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
With the internet and the 24 hr nature of sports talk/news, these people basically have to make up news to fill the time. In reality, there's not enough real sports news to fill the demand, so the media is in the position of speculating to "create" interest.

BallHawk
08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Listen, the meeting running late either means two things.

Things went well

OR

Things went badly

They'll be a press conference within the next few hours. Hold off on your speculation until then and we'll have some answers.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
With the internet and the 24 hr nature of sports talk/news, these people basically have to make up news to fill the time. In reality, there's not enough real sports news to fill the demand, so the media is in the position of speculating to "create" interest.BUt in this cse, it is more than plausible, based on past history, for Favre and his cronies to leak information to the press.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I understand your point, but I can't agree with the kindly part. I mean the guy tried to publicly embarrass TT by claiming that he was begging him to stay away and was afraid to lose his job. How kind was that? I agree with Patler that Favre's action's contradict his words. Too many times he has come off as trying to twist the knife and/or chosen to use the media rather than work with the Packers.

And I see the same stuff from Green Bay.

Seriously...Mark Murphy was practically kissing Favre's ass on Sunday. The Packers were "welcoming" him back in their statements and public interviews.

However, it was all a lie. Favre is not welcomed back. In that respect, I can understand how Favre views the Packer's side as full of lies.

I have no problem with the Packers "moving on"...but STOP ALREADY with this damn media PC game of trying to make it look like you are "trying" to work this out with Favre when there really is no chance of that happening.

The Packers could've ended all this a month ago by coming out and saying "Rodgers is our starter. Favre has retired and no longer will be viewed as a part of this team going forward." Then trade him to Timbuktu and be DONE with it.

Instead, they've played pussyfoot...which is why I have zero sympathy for the Packers in terms of "distractions". It's as much their fault IMO as it is Favre's.

sharpe1027
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
The Packers could've ended all this a month ago by coming out and saying "Rodgers is our starter. Favre has retired and no longer will be viewed as a part of this team going forward." Then trade him to Timbuktu and be DONE with it.

I just don't think your suggestion was realistic, nor do I think it would have made the situation any better.

They did say that Rodgers is the starter, many, many times. Of course they could have said Favre is never going to play for Green Bay, but that would be a really dumb move if they were serious about getting something of value in a trade. If other teams know you have zero intention of keeping him, you have already lost the negotiation battle.

It may have been that they would have been happy to have Favre as a backup, in which case it would also be stupid to say he's not going to be a Packer.

In the end, they told Favre the same thing they told the media, we respect what you have done for us but Rodgers is our starter. I find it a stretch to call that lies.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 10:32 AM
If other teams know you have zero intention of keeping him, you have already lost the negotiation battle.

Well, you've lost it at this point as well.

Favre already has missed camp time. Other teams have less of a chance to incorporate him into their offense, so their price will drop.

The team wasn't going to get a lot for Favre regardless. He has far more value to Green Bay than he does to anyone else.

sharpe1027
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
If other teams know you have zero intention of keeping him, you have already lost the negotiation battle.

Well, you've lost it at this point as well.

Favre already has missed camp time. Other teams have less of a chance to incorporate him into their offense, so their price will drop.

The team wasn't going to get a lot for Favre regardless. He has far more value to Green Bay than he does to anyone else.

Yep, but they didn't have a crystal ball. They seemed to make efforts to get a deal done earlier. Favre basically killed those efforts be refusing to even talk with interested teams or direct the Packers toward any teams he might be interested in.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Yep, but they didn't have a crystal ball. They seemed to make efforts to get a deal done earlier. Favre basically killed those efforts be refusing to even talk with interested teams or direct the Packers toward any teams he might be interested in.

The Packers could trade Favre whenever they want to...he does not have a "no-trade clause" in his contract.

Yeah, they might not get anything in return for him...but they could end the whole distraction that they seem to be so concerned about.

boiga
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

The Packers could trade Favre whenever they want to...he does not have a "no-trade clause" in his contract.

Yeah, they might not get anything in return for him...but they could end the whole distraction that they seem to be so concerned about.Not at all. If Favre refused to report for his new team, his rights would have gotten returned to the Packers. So, he had complete veto power over any trade.

We couldn't get rid of him until he reinstated.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Yeah, they might not get anything in return for him...but they could end the whole distraction that they seem to be so concerned about.Not at all. If Favre refused to report for his new team, his rights would have gotten returned to the Packers. So, he had complete veto power over any trade.

We couldn't get rid of him until he reinstated.NO they wouldn't or have you forgotten the Jake Plummer trade?

EDIT: Mis read you sorry. :oops:

imscott72
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM

Seriously...Mark Murphy was practically kissing Favre's ass on Sunday. The Packers were "welcoming" him back in their statements and public interviews.

However, it was all a lie. Favre is not welcomed back. In that respect, I can understand how Favre views the Packer's side as full of lies.

I have no problem with the Packers "moving on"...but STOP ALREADY with this damn media PC game of trying to make it look like you are "trying" to work this out with Favre when there really is no chance of that happening.

Instead, they've played pussyfoot...which is why I have zero sympathy for the Packers in terms of "distractions". It's as much their fault IMO as it is Favre's.

I wonder if the "scenarios" that MM said existed where Brett could remain on the team still exist. I'm surprised they haven't rescheduled the PC yet because they want it settled by practice today at 2.

hoosier
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM

What do you want them to do, announce to the world that they're sick of Favre's shtick and ready to ship him off to the highest bidder? That would be a great way of driving down his market value and alienating a good portion of their fan base.

You're being unreasonable and naive if you think the Packers can simply ignore public opinion and say whatever it is they truly think about Favre, which--I'm speculating here--is probably close to "He's acting like a selfish, spoiled, inconsiderate, indecisive little child." Murphy didn't "kiss" any part of Favre: he was cordial (welcoming him back) while also pointing out that Favre's indecision has put the Packers in a very difficult position. That's hardly a flattering description of the team's superstar.

You call what the Packers are doing a "lie" and a "media game," but why not call it diplomacy? In the current situation Favre and the Packers are adversaries, but there are many reasons for them not to show their cards and to treat Favre with measured respect.

sharpe1027
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Yeah, they might not get anything in return for him...but they could end the whole distraction that they seem to be so concerned about.

Sure, they can finally trade him now, but he only recently got reinstated. They've only had a day, most trades take several days or even weeks to figure out, this one is likely even more complicated than most.

I guess I'm not following your logic. You were suggesting first that the Packers should have said (or done) something different from the start. What exactly did they do or say that you did not agree with again?

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I guess I'm not following your logic. You were suggesting first that the Packers should have said (or done) something different from the start. What exactly did they do or say that you did not agree with again?

They've drug this whole thing out because they are trying to "diplomatically" get rid of Favre without being painted as the ones who wanted to get rid of Favre.

The distraction and circus currently happening could've been prevented IMO.

sharpe1027
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
They've drug this whole thing out because they are trying to "diplomatically" get rid of Favre without being painted as the ones who wanted to get rid of Favre.

The distraction and circus currently happening could've been prevented IMO.

I think the whole thing is drug out because they can't reach an agreement with Favre and/or other teams. The whole media thing is what it is, they said they respect Favre but that Rodgers is their QB. The could have told the media that Favre is really an alien and it would not have made any difference, IMO.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Again, this is just pathetic. The Packers keeps fucking this up more and more, regardless how you feel about Favre, the Packers once again can't clean this mess up.

I see Aaron Rodgers falling apart at the seems. Not his fault mind you, but with Favre retired I had the thought that he would do reasonably well in his first season, playoffs, Division title, but now? Way to much pressure. He is fucked with that 800 pound gorilla in the room.

I also wish Murphy had a spine. Harlan would have handled this back in March.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Again, this is just pathetic. The Packers keeps fucking this up more and more, regardless how you feel about Favre, the Packers once again can't clean this mess up.

I see Aaron Rodgers falling apart at the seems. Not his fault mind you, but with Favre retired I had the thought that he would do reasonably well in his first season, playoffs, Division title, but now? Way to much pressure. He is fucked with that 800 pound gorilla in the room.

I also wish Murphy had a spine. Harlan would have handled this back in March.

I agree with you completely on this Nutz. The Packers lack of backbone in dealing with this EFFECTIVELY is harming Rodgers.

Partial
08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Agreed with the Nutroll

BallHawk
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Murphy looks like the spineless one in this situation.

McCarthy has proven he's the one with the backbone. He's stood firm in this the whole way through. Props to him.