PDA

View Full Version : OL: Who are the starting 5?

RashanGary
06-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Clifton - Colledge - Wells - Spitz - Tauscher

I think Spitz is going to beat out Coston. Coston recently has had issues grasping the system and Spitz has been put in with the 1's for the first time. Spitz is a tough, smart, mobile lineman who should fit right into this scheme.

This group is a HUGE question mark. Colledge and Spitz are both smart, hardworking guys who have all the physical skills to excell in this scheme. Will it work out? Only time will tell.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I think those two will both do OK in their rookie years. I think we'll be better off than last year. I hope so anyway.

CaptainKickass
06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Agreed Nick - as stated in another thread, there will be a learning curve for anyone who learns the scheme. Lets get the best guys in now and let 'em cut their teeth together.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm sticking with Coston at RG. He's a year ahead in the learning curve. The fact they put Spitz with the first team at this time of the year doesn't mean much. Probably just seeing how he handles the starting gig, and letting him develop some feel for working with Tauscher--in case he is asked to start at some point.

RashanGary
06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
We'll see Harv...Coston was one of the guys Thompson drafted that was never considered a real football player. Spitz has just been good at everything he's been asked to do. Trends are less likely to change than they are to stay the same. I think Spitz wins.

Oscar
06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I gotta go with Coston as well. I thought I read that Coston was drafted and put on a shelf for the first year to get NFL ready. I may very well be wrong though. I think he is the guy with spitz ready and waiting as a solid back up.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Round 5/143 Packers choose : Junius Coston, C
HT WT College 2004 Stats 6-3 310 North Carolina A&T

Scouting Report: Coston has a chance to eventually be a very good NFL offensive lineman. He didn't face top-tier competition playing at NC A&T, but his time there also allowed him to play at several positions on the line and develop a valuable versatility. Coston is a smart player with an NFL body and athleticism, whose raw make-up must be channeled for him to develop as a pro. He has the strength, work ethic and mean streak to eventually excel and become an NFL starter

** The club is really counting on Gs Junius Coston and Daryn Colledge to come through right away. Coston spent last year on the bench and Colledge is a rookie, yet the coaches are counting on both to be starters this season. Both are quick on their feet, which will benefit them in the new zone-blocking run system, but they are different players. Colledge, who will play on the left side, lacks the anchor of Coston and needs to build upper body strength, but he is tenacious, confident and mobile. Coston, who will play on the right, has more explosiveness in his lower body and pulls exceptionally well. However, he comes from a small school and lacks savvy in executing a pro offense against big-time talent. They will learn on the run this season.

** Colledge was handed the left guard job and the second-round draft pick looks the part. He's tall, mature and very athletic. Keep in mind, however, he's a rookie making the transition from college tackle to NFL guard and he might lack the bulk to contend with the monsters who play defensive tackle in the NFC North Division.

The right guard is Junius Coston, a fifth-round pick in 2005 who played four snaps as a rookie. Coston is athletic, which fits McCarthy's zone-blocking scheme, but has done nothing to prove he has starter's talent.

Partial
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Atleast we know we're growing some quality depth behind the starters!! That's something I guess.

Noodle
06-13-2006, 05:11 PM
My money is on Tauch Colledge Wells FA Cliffy

Yup, I'm hoping we get some quality vet FA from somewhere to come in and start, though I'll admit I'm not aware of any great candidates.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Things those 'in the know' said in the recent past, on OUR OL.

Offensive line:

McCarthy's commitment to a zone running game was evident. All the Packers drilled were four base zone plays. No guard pulled all weekend.

"Here's the deal," Jagodzinski said. "If there's a guy on him, he's blocking him. If no one's on him, he's going to the linebacker. It's not that hard. It's hard to screw that up."

The inside starters were left guard Daryn Colledge, center Scott Wells and right guard Junius Coston. Can the Packers win with them?

"Yeah, I think we can, because of what we're going to do and how we're going to do it," Jagodzinski said. "They're young but that's OK. They'll only get better."

Colledge, a second-round pick, lacks some weight and upper-body strength but his speed and balance fit the offense to a T. The 316-pound Coston played center at North Carolina A&T and left guard all spring before moving to right guard after the selection of Colledge.

"Well, somebody's got to do it sometime," Thompson replied when asked if Coston could jump from playing three snaps as a rookie to starting. "I think everybody is pleased with what 'Juice' did this weekend and throughout the spring."

Jason Spitz, a third-round pick, backed up Colledge and Tony Moll, a fifth-round pick, played extensively at left tackle.

"The whole staff talked today," Jagodzinski said. "With all the draft choices, what we saw on film is what we got. I told Moll to give himself to (strength coach) Rock Gullickson and he will reshape you. He was a tight end and he gained 50 pounds in a year. That's not all good weight. But he is very athletic."

Seemingly miscast in the new system, massive Will Whitticker got a chance to start as the emergency left tackle when Chad Clifton (knee) sat out and Adrian Klemm suffered a knee injury Friday afternoon in the opening 45 minutes.

Another wide body, Kevin Barry, spent all camp running No. 2 behind Coston at right guard after spending his first four years at right tackle. Barry is about 25 pounds overweight.

"I told him the 'U-71' package is done," Jagodzinski said. "He can't catch. It was a novelty and it was great. Now if he's happy being a four- or five-play a game guy, I told him we've got the wrong guy. I don't know if it's so much the weight. I want those guys to be able to move."

At 290, backup center Chris White was considered borderline too small by the previous staff but is a better fit for this system.

packerpete
06-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Clifton - Colledge - Coston - Spitz - Tauscher

I am not a Wells believer.
Top backup at G - Lucier
Top backup at T - Klemm LT, Whittaker RT

Lets see what shakes out when the pads go on.

wist43
06-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm concerned about Wells as well... when they drafted him, I had hopes that he would develop into a top-tier Center, but after watching him for a couple of years I just don't think that he can anchor well enough to compete at a high level.

He gets absolutely ragdolled on a regular basis against bigger NT's and DT's. Maybe, with experience, he'll get it figured out and learn to play with leverage, but as of last year he looked to be no better than a career backup.

Green Bud Packer
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
cliffy-colledge-wells-?-tausch. four outta five ain't bad. training camp will determine 5th starter.

RashanGary
06-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not a big Coston fan. He just doesn't seem like a football player to me. He's got the body, but he just doens't perform. Spitz is the opposite. He has just enough of what it takes physically and he just plays good football. I'd rather have the good football player over the project as a starter. Projects are great backups. I hate to see them starting. Remember Carroll?

Brandon494
06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't really understand what Carroll has to do with this subject since they play two totally different positions. Anyway the starting O-line will be Clifton - Colledge - Wells - Coston - Tauscher. Wells is pretty much a lock at center and Coston played a similiar zone blocking scheme in college so I give him the nod over Spitz.

Harlan Huckleby
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Much cause for concern with the offensive line, both starters and depth.

Bretsky
06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Much cause for concern with the offensive line, both starters and depth.

I'm concerned we don't have five starters. Looks like we have depth, just wonder if we have five legit starters.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Git 'er done! The longer we get into the offseason, the more stoked and optimistic I get about the team. Always happens. Give me another month, and I'll start thinking the Packers can get to the Super Bowl. I'm ready for some football. Bring on those dickheads from Chicago.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2006, 11:14 PM
My opinion of Spitz went up about 10 fold after watching a video on Packers.com. He ain't nearly as geeky as he seemed from the clown thumbnail pic he had at draft time.

packerpete
06-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I actually have some hope that Lucier will emerge when the pads go on.

He may be the veteran influence the interior line needs, lets hope he comes through and provides some leadership, maybe even pushes the kids for PT

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
You know it's the offseason when people think Wayne Lucier is the answer.
:D

CaliforniaCheez
06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
When the Packers needed help at OG last year they did not call on Lucier who was out of football last year.

Some do not like Whitticker but he was just a rookie last year. He will be improved. How much? He is a raw talent.

Some would put Coston ahead when he could not beat Whitticker last year. He is not bad at Center.

Things could get real bad if there is an injury at OT or to Colledge.

No available veteran may be needed but the line may be a year or 2 from being good.

It is early and some speculation is fun. Seeing game action with pads on with help sort it out.

CaptainKickass
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Wells is developing as a great center. I believe he will shine in the ZBS.

Flanny was the one getting "ragdolled" last year. Wells filled in admirably, considering his lack of tenure.

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 09:33 AM
When the Packers needed help at OG last year they did not call on Lucier who was out of football last year.

Some do not like Whitticker but he was just a rookie last year. He will be improved. How much? He is a raw talent.

Some would put Coston ahead when he could not beat Whitticker last year. He is not bad at Center.

Things could get real bad if there is an injury at OT or to Colledge.

No available veteran may be needed but the line may be a year or 2 from being good.

It is early and some speculation is fun. Seeing game action with pads on with help sort it out.

There's a new coaching staff and, more importantly, a new scheme. This scheme seems to fit Coston more. It doesn't seem to fit Whitticker. I don't think any conclusions can be based on last year.