PDA

View Full Version : Why not Trade Rogers?

Tony Oday
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
He is worth more right now in terms of picks. Get a guarentee that Favre plays two more years and have Brian Brohm be the QB of the future.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
He is worth more right now in terms of picks. Get a guarentee that Favre plays two more years and have Brian Brohm be the QB of the future.You are not goning to get a guarantee from Favre. THe last 5 years is clear proof of that. Aaron doesn't have near the value becuase Favre would be appealing to go for a SB run. Rodgers would be essentailly = to what the other teams already have so, no reason to trade for Rodgers when you already have a version of him.

boiga
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
He is worth more right now in terms of picks. Get a guarentee that Favre plays two more years and have Brian Brohm be the QB of the future.Because we can't get Favre to agree to anything more than 2 hours away.

Rodgers is worth more to us right now than Favre is for the same reason he's worth more picks. He's a young improving franchise caliber QB. He's compatible with management, has good report with all his team mates, and listens when the coach tells him to do something.

Trading Rodgers for Brett would be a short term solution that leaves us weaker in the long run.

Sparkey
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM
He is worth more right now in terms of picks. Get a guarentee that Favre plays two more years and have Brian Brohm be the QB of the future.

If Favre promises to stay through his contract, can you really believe that he will ?

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Trading Rodgers for Brett would be a short term solution that leaves us weaker in the long run.

There is no reason to trade Rodgers. Even if there was an open competition and Favre was truly welcomed back by the team, there would be no reason to get rid of Rodgers at this point.

bobblehead
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM

There is no reason to trade Rodgers. Even if there was an open competition and Favre was truly welcomed back by the team, there would be no reason to get rid of Rodgers at this point.

Um...he might feel differently if the rug gets pulled out from under him...or is brett the only one who gets to call his own shots?

imscott72
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
He is worth more right now in terms of picks. Get a guarentee that Favre plays two more years and have Brian Brohm be the QB of the future.Because we can't get Favre to agree to anything more than 2 hours away.

Rodgers is worth more to us right now than Favre is for the same reason he's worth more picks. He's a young improving franchise caliber QB. He's compatible with management, has good report with all his team mates, and listens when the coach tells him to do something.

But Brett gives us the best chance at a Superbowl run while the pieces are in place now. There are a lot of contracts up after next season. Who knows what kind of shape the team will be in after 2009.

boiga
08-05-2008, 10:51 AM

There is no reason to trade Rodgers. Even if there was an open competition and Favre was truly welcomed back by the team, there would be no reason to get rid of Rodgers at this point.That's a good point as well. As long as both Brett and Rodgers could accept either the starting or backup roles, we would be a better team with both of them on the roster.

I'm just not sure that either would accept being the backup right now. So, if we had to decide between them, then it really is argument between short term or long term potential benefits.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Um...he might feel differently if the rug gets pulled out from under him...or is brett the only one who gets to call his own shots?

What is he going to do? He's under contract for 2 more years.

Favre can afford to act like a dumbass...he already has his money and isn't going to be looking to sign any free agent deals in the future.

Rodgers can't afford to act like a dumbass...his entire NFL future is riding on that.

boiga
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
But Brett gives us the best chance at a Superbowl run while the pieces are in place now. There are a lot of contracts up after next season. Who knows what kind of shape the team will be in after 2009. The other way to look at it is that the current caliber of quality on this team makes this the ideal opportunity to move on without Favre. If we stick Brohm in there two years from now with a deteriorated supporting caste, we could be throwing him to the wolves while relegating the Packers to another thirty years of suck.

This year, even if Rodgers trips coming out of the gate, the team around him is good enough to get us to at least 8-8 while he gets his legs under him. I have higher hopes than that for Rodgers, but by making this transition while the team is still quality, we aren't risking a 1-15 season like the dolphins did last year with their rookie QB and non-existent team.

We're going to have to transition to a post Favre era eventually, and it makes more sense to do it with a good team to hold up the new QB than with a lousy one dragging him down.

@ The Leaper: If Rodgers doesn't get to play this year or next, I could certainly see him demanding a trade. He'd get a lot of public sympathy considering the situation and the Packers might take the high draft pick compensation to avoid even further media uproar. We'd have screwed him over, not the other way around in that situation.

imscott72
08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
But Brett gives us the best chance at a Superbowl run while the pieces are in place now. There are a lot of contracts up after next season. Who knows what kind of shape the team will be in after 2009. The other way to look at it is that the current caliber of quality on this team makes this the ideal opportunity to move on without Favre. If we stick Brohm in there two years from now with a deteriorated supporting caste, we could be throwing him to the wolves while relegating the Packers to another thirty years of suck.

This year, even if Rodgers trips coming out of the gate, the team around him is good enough to get us to at least 8-8 while he gets his legs under him.

8-8 would be a tragedy considering how strong the team is at this point. I think we'd have a lot of pissed off veteran players who wouldn't be interested in re-signing here.

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
This year, even if Rodgers trips coming out of the gate, the team around him is good enough to get us to at least 8-8 while he gets his legs under him.

So we sacrifice a chance at a SUPER BOWL RUN with a very strong team in favor of letting Rodgers "get his legs under him"? Ugh.

I think your point works fine...FOR THOMPSON AND MCCARTHY. They've just gotten their fat new contracts. They've been paid and have security to endure an 8-8 season. Players on the roster who haven't been paid might not see things in the same "long term" light.

@ The Leaper: If Rodgers doesn't get to play this year or next, I could certainly see him demanding a trade.

Oh, he'd be gone if he didn't play this year or next. I've never suggested the Packers should shelve Rodgers. My opinion is that they should open up the QB spot for competition...Favre will win, but increase Rodgers' role. I've advocated strongly using both QBs in some capacity. They both have value to the team IMO.

boiga
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
8-8 would be a tragedy considering how strong the team is at this point. I think we'd have a lot of pissed off veteran players who wouldn't be interested in re-signing here.Maybe so, much that's much better than the potential 1-15 case if we lost Harris and Clifton to age/injury this year and tried to start Brohm next year with a porous defense and non-existent protection.

If he plays now, Rodgers is very likely to be a better QB next year that could handle such adversity. Heck, if Rodgers can survive the pressure from this season, he'll be able handle anything.

Edit:
Oh, he'd be gone if he didn't play this year or next. I've never suggested the Packers should shelve Rodgers. My opinion is that they should open up the QB spot for competition...Favre will win, but increase Rodgers' role. I've advocated strongly using both QBs in some capacity. They both have value to the team IMO. I agree heartily with that point. I'd love to have them sharing time to a certain extent. I'm just not sure that they can coexist with the ego issues/circus atmosphere surrounding this situation.

Also, I was just talking worst case scenarios. I have hopes that Rodgers can lead us deep in the play offs NOW, but we need to be prepared for calamity as well as success.

prsnfoto
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM

8-8 would be a tragedy considering how strong the team is at this point. I think we'd have a lot of pissed off veteran players who wouldn't be interested in re-signing here.

If this team goes any less than 10-6 TT,MM and red headedMM should all be immediately shitcanned if hes their boy and is the undisputed starter because that is putting the best team on the field then no less than a division title and deep into the playoffs is acceptable.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM

We don't have alot of veteran players to begin with, so how is it that we are going to have alot of pissed off ones? The core of this team is 25, 26 years old. And many of them have already spoken in support of Rodgers. The 30 somethings on our roster do not represent the majority.

imscott72
08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Rodgers had 3 picks in practice today.. :shock:

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM

He had 3 TD's too, what's your point? Do not bring up INT's as your basis for Favre over Rodgers. Nobody in NFL history has thrown more INT's than Favre.

boiga
08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Rodgers had 3 picks in practice today.. :shock: He also had three touchdown throws and was being heckled the entire time. Cut the guy some slack... at least until game three.

DannoMac21
08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Shaun Rogers was already traded to the Browns.

Pacopete4
Rodgers had 3 picks in practice today.. :shock: He also had three touchdown throws and was being heckled the entire time. Cut the guy some slack... at least until game three.

If he sucks after game 3.. can I burn TT's house down?

imscott72

He had 3 TD's too, what's your point? Do not bring up INT's as your basis for Favre over Rodgers. Nobody in NFL history has thrown more INT's than Favre.

I wasn't comparing Rodgers to Favre so stop assuming..Man, people get so riled up here thinking they know everything..

boiga
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM

If he sucks after game 3.. can I burn TT's house down? Only if we get less than 7 wins on the season. At that point I doubt a Wisconsin jury would fault you.

GBRulz
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM

Now, Now...remember how many of us were calling for Favre's head in his early games? Give Aaron a chance. However, there is a slight difference... when Favre was new, we didn't have a HOF QB that we could have gone with either.

So, at least be fair and wait until after game 8, ok?

:wink:

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

I wasn't comparing Rodgers to Favre so stop assuming..Man, people get so riled up here thinking they know everything..

When you post negatives about Rodgers without offering any praise whatsoever for the things he does well then I am going to call you out on it. If you feel it is so important to post that Rodgers had 3 picks, balance it with the fact that Rodgers threw 3 TD's as well.

I apologize if you did not mean it as a comparison. But even if it was just to bash Rodgers specifically for throwing 3 INT's, it's still wrong.

Pacopete4
08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Now, Now...remember how many of us were calling for Favre's head in his early games? Give Aaron a chance. However, there is a slight difference... when Favre was new, we didn't have a HOF QB that we could have gone with either.

haha fine, fine... I guess I can wait that long?... we'll see :flm: :flm: :flm: :flm: :flm: :flm:

Noodle
08-05-2008, 05:00 PM
[quote=Pacopete4]

Best advice on this board.

Look, he's going to lose the pack some games. That's going to happen. We've got to quit bein' such a bunch of "please me now" putzes.

Pacopete4
08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
[quote=Pacopete4]

Best advice on this board.

Look, he's going to lose the pack some games. That's going to happen. We've got to quit bein' such a bunch of "please me now" putzes.

the problem is.. thats how we should be with this season coming up... now we're unsure about it

Lurker64
08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, when you think about it, when was the last time a competent NFL team traded a young guy to make room for an old guy?

motife
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Rodgers said in his press conference today he always thought he'd be traded before Favre.

motife
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, when you think about it, when was the last time a competent NFL team traded a young guy to make room for an old guy?

Matt Hasselbeck to the Seahawks.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Rodgers said in his press conference today he always thought he'd be traded before Favre.

Wow...what does this mean I wonder...

motife
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM

I thought the same thing. I watched it on NFL Network. When it's up at Packers.com I'd like to watch it again. Because he also said why he thought he'd be traded first, but I couldn't catch what he said. He might have said because of the injuries but that's probably wrong. I just didn't hear it clearly.

NewsBruin
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Okay, think about trade value. You've got a mid-20's quarterback whom you've spent a low first-round pick on. You've paid for three years of his salary and have two left and not gotten any on-field contribution out of him, other than one game that was close, but a loss.

Can you get more than you paid for him? Can you get a low first-rounder plus compensation for the three years of training, or can you just come close to breaking even?

I would not trade Rogers, because we'd be blowing a first-round pick (which happens enough in this league, but is not justification to do so) for something comparably less than what we've spent on him. We'd lose value and be trading away upside.

Brett, while good, is not on his upside. We've gotten value from him, and would get longer value from him if we shipped him for a draft pick. No one has to like him, but one can't deny that Ted Thompson does well in the 3rd-5th round range.

Now, this is all moot, because there's no use we could get from Brett anymore, since he doesn't want to play here, and his head coach and GM don't want to dump the starter to placate him.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Favre wasn't that old by QB standards yet at the time. It was 7 years ago. Favre was only 31, and hadn't even hinted at retirement yet. It's not like they drafted Hass in the 6th round to be Favre's eventual replacement.

Unless the old guy you are talking about is somebody else, I don't think this is very accurate.

NewsBruin
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I always thought we could have gotten more for Hasselbeck and Brooks.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM

What are you talking about? Favre was starting...hasselbeck wasn't moved to make room. Under your logic....ty detmer, brunell, etc. :roll:

motife
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM

What are you talking about? Favre was starting...hasselbeck wasn't moved to make room. Under your logic....ty detmer, brunell, etc. :roll:

that was an attempt to be droll.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 07:21 PM

that was an attempt to be droll.

With all the ridiculousness you should realize your post ain't gonna come across that way.

Droll doesn't work well on the internet..hence emoticons.

Joemailman
08-05-2008, 07:29 PM

He was referring to the rumors in 2007 that he would be traded for Randy Moss.

Video of Arod's press conference available at Packers.com.

boiga
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
never mind... joe beat me to it.

Although C-wood looks pretty pissed about this whole ordeal. He did NOT like the booing or the fact that the players are the last to know what's going on.

pbmax
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Now this is Green Bay, we handle this like professionals. Don't get things out of order.

First, there are threatening letters
Then a companion animal is sacrificed
Then Bus Cook gets sugar in 4 of his car's gas tanks
Only then can you seek permission to torch the GM's house.

And remember to file in triplicate to savebrett.id10t