PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy comments on missing veterans

K-town
06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
McCarthy comments on missing veterans
Green Bay -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Tuesday offered an update on the status of the three veteran players who have yet to take part in the team's voluntary workout sessions -- cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

"We've spoken to those guys throughout this whole process," said McCarthy. "All three of their situations are different. On an individual basis, Harris I do not expect (to participate at all), Woodson is up in the air right now and Pickett I do expect."

Harris is believed to be boycotting all voluntary workout sessions because he's unhappy with his contract. Woodson, who had been out of the country, is back in the United States, McCarthy said. No reasons have been floated for Pickett's absence.

Missing for a second straight day were wide receiver Rod Gardner and tight end David Martin. Wide receiver Donald Driver was also absent.

Returning was middle linebacker Nick Barnett, who McCarthy said had been missing due to a family matter.

Cornerbacks Mike Hawkins (knee laceration) and Jason Horton (back) dropped out of practice.

CaptainKickass
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Can we all get over this already? Geeesh....

I'll actually begin to care when the "Mandatory" sessions begin and players are not there. And even then I don't think I'll care that much.

I'd much rather go to war with willing soldiers. This is the way we weed out the rest.

BlueBrewer
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Who is telling the truth, is Harris really trying to get a new contract or is this more media fodder.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
The OTA's, as has been reiterated over and over, are strictly 'Voluntary', so really what can be said about these 'important player' absences?

In a perfect world, of course these three would ensure their presence, but that is moot. TC is looming and if their absences in these OTA's show up as their not being ready for the regular season, then something will be done about that. TC is by reputation, a competition, and I only want the BEST men on the field, on both sides of the ball. . . doing their BEST as Packers against the foe.. . . nothing less than that.

As fans, we will not forget the absences of Harris ,Woodson and Pickett at the OTA's, but it will be up to the Coach's and TT to decide these fellas fates, based on TC. Their memories will be no shorter than OUR's we must trust.

As a Packer fan, I am in no manner impressed with these three 'penciled in as starters", reasons for their absences, whatever the reason.

The other thing in my memory, besides Harris's, Woodson's and Pickett's absence from ALL OTA's is last season and 4-12. Dam !

For all of us who have played team organized sports, we are aware of how 'these sort of Prima Donna Actions' . . impact all on that team. If they can pass the grade at TC and contribute on the field (be productive), then all will be forgiven. Otherwise there should be "H" to pay.

Again. . . I may be like alot of the people who face the real pressure. The Packer Coach's and TT. Are any of us so deluded, to imagine that they are pleased with this blemish on the OTA's? Especially, when two of them are arguably the top two FA's TT signed in OUR off season?

This sucks right now ! They will be held accountable in TC, I TRUST.